Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-4-2004, 08:54 PM   #1
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default I need your help!

I've reached a point where I cant seem to get any better, even though I've been trying for months now. The thing is, I cant full combo songs like CIA Rave, Uber Rave, Stalled out and Sushi(I'm just horrible at Sushi), but I can always full combo songs like Sonic 2, Burnout, Fett's Vette, and others around there, and do well on songs like For FFR, Abstrusy, etc, meaning I get less than 10 misses. So, what should I practice on, because I cant seem to get any better by just practicing Stalled out and Sushi day after day and others like that like I do. I am expecting answers from people like Reach, Nima, Linus, and other people that have been through this, not noob38473 whos guesses what I should train on.

edit: With one hand it was easy I just train on Stalled and Sushi and I got good, but not with two hands.
ToshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2004, 09:10 PM   #2
Kagome
Pop'n Music.
Retired Staff

Send a message via AIM to Kagome Send a message via MSN to Kagome

Get www.Stepmania.com
After playing that for a while you will be tons better at FFR.
Kagome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2004, 09:13 PM   #3
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I did, and I reached my limit on that too... I wouldnt be where I am two handed if I didn't.

edit: oh GREAT Moogy is on. Once he reads this topic he's just gonna reply with the crappy 'You just suck' excuse or the 'I liek cuteeng myselfe', the second one usually being what he says
Old 07-4-2004, 09:41 PM   #4
IAMTHEEVILBEAN
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to IAMTHEEVILBEAN

Play an archery game.
IAMTHEEVILBEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2004, 10:01 PM   #5
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

To sharpen my accuracy!!! Ok thats all I could think of out of that. What else, Evil?
Old 07-4-2004, 11:15 PM   #6
RobbyZero
FFR Player

Umm keep playing..there's no such thing as not getting better...unless your not trying hard enough.
RobbyZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2004, 01:13 AM   #7
qualy
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to qualy Send a message via Yahoo to qualy

There are some points where it might seem tougher to get better. It's not, you're improving at the same rate, but since there is a lot of difficulty in (insert hard song here) it just seems slower.
qualy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2004, 02:04 AM   #8
Audhumla
FFR Player

Yeah, you're at a plateau, and it sucks hard...
Audhumla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2004, 09:30 AM   #9
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Yep, I feel as if I've reached my limit and cant get any better but I guess there is a way sense other ppl did it.
Old 07-5-2004, 10:21 AM   #10
Dronak
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dronak Send a message via Yahoo to Dronak

Yeah, sounds like a classic plateau situation. As long as you're playing and practicing, you should keep improving (hopefully). The thing is you were improving quickly before, but now you've reached a point where the songs have gotten difficult enough to match or best your ability. And since you're at a higher level now, it's harder to improve enough to pass these levels. So you're still improving, just more slowly. You just have to keep practicing and push through it. If some particular song has you stuck, maybe you can find one just a little bit easier and work on it first. Try to build yourself up to the one that you're stuck on. I know I'm a low level player, but it seems to me that being familiar with the music and arrow patterns helps, too, so the more you play a particular song, the easier it should get. Within limits, I'm sure, but I found that some songs got easier once I realized when the arrows followed the melody, when they didn't, when they changed between the two, etc. Good luck. If you keep playing and practicing, you should be able to get off of this plateau.

Essentially retired now, but still ranked on the list of FFR's Top One Handers.
One-Hander Skill Tokens unlocked: The V2 Token, The Patience Token, X_X1MissX_X, AAA v5, T.H.E.G.A.M.E.T.O.K.E.N
Pseudo Skill Tokens unlocked: Numbers 21, 44, 33, 57, 26, 24, 47, 95
Dronak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2004, 10:24 AM   #11
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

So basically I'm at level 90 trying to get to level 99 and it takes a LOT of exp which really sucks.
Old 07-5-2004, 10:30 AM   #12
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Ok, my next goal is to FC FF7

Do you know how much that bugs me?
Old 07-5-2004, 10:42 AM   #13
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Ok

Start playing more hard shit on SM.

Seriously, play really fucking hard songs. I would suggest shit like pretty much any of my keyboard files, or maybe some of archs harder ones ect.

If you can't beat them, change your hand position around or use 4 fingers. Chances are you won't be able to pass some of my harder files at first, but just keep playing them, and you'll beat them eventually and improve greatly in speed and accuracy.

You're probably not pushing yourself hard enough to get better at this point. When I first played payon, I died like instantly at the 32nds and thought it was impossible. Like 2 weeks later I passed it.
Old 07-5-2004, 10:51 AM   #14
Dronak
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Yeah, I guess you could liken it to RPG experience levels. I suppose you *could* have actually hit your maximum, where your fingers, eyes, and brain just can't work any faster to pass the songs, but I kind of doubt it. As you said, if others can do the higher levels, you ought to be able to do them, too. It should just take time and practice. Good luck with it.

Only 1or 2 arrows away from a FC? That has to be annoying. I know how much it bugs me when lag or a stupid mistake makes me blow a FC on the low level songs I play. It has to be even more annoying on these higher level songs with more arrows. About all I can suggest is if you know what part's messing you up, try to focus on it a bit more when you play. Remember where it is in the song so you can anticipate it, then when it comes just concentrate and do the best you can. That's about what I was doing to try to get through the faster run towards the end of Raindrops -- anticipate so I'm ready for it, then focus and try as hard as I can to get it. *shrug* It's about all I can think of that helps besides simply practicing and playing over and over. And I did finally FC Raindrops a day or few ago (not like I could do so on demand, but at least I have done it).

One-Hander Skill Tokens unlocked: The V2 Token, The Patience Token, X_X1MissX_X, AAA v5, T.H.E.G.A.M.E.T.O.K.E.N
Old 07-5-2004, 05:57 PM   #15
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

u suk

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2004, 07:05 PM   #16
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy
u suk
Wow, how did I see that coming :P

edit: Ok Reach, I'll practice on Pand0ra, considering starting last night I've been getting better at it.
Old 07-5-2004, 07:39 PM   #17
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Reach, are you sure I should be playing your Simfiles? This one was made by you right.
Old 07-6-2004, 06:02 PM   #18
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

No.

And yes. If you don't play anything above your current level of skill, you will never get better (well you will, but extremely slowly.

This applys to everything. The principal of overload. Doing more than you're used to and then your body gets used to it. Think of it like a gym. IF you keep curling 5 pounds you get good at it, but don't get any stronger. Thats like playing the same level over and over. Now if you start lifting 10 and 15 pounds your arms adapt and get stronger.

I got good very quickly because I was constantly playing things i could not pass. In one month I went from a fail on fotbb to a B on payon.

Sounds dumb but its true XD
Old 07-6-2004, 06:17 PM   #19
Z3ratul
FFR Player

Great advice Reach

It's kinda crazy when I look at myself though... I keep trying to push myself. 2 weeks ago I thought *how the hell is it possible to beat Breaking The Common?*. Now I can FC it
Z3ratul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-6-2004, 06:34 PM   #20
Dronak
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Right, pushing yourself within reasonable limits is often helpful. I wouldn't try to jump up too far at once, but working one or two levels above what you can do pretty well and easily should be a good way to improve more/faster. I also try to push a bit, but probably slower than some of you. I'm working my way into the Standard level songs at the moment and some of them are still a bit tricky for me to pass.