Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-9-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean
Default Power Rangers Super Legends

Some of you might know of my adventures in effort of obtaining this game. Well, yesterday I went up to Best Buy and they actually had it and would actually sell it to me, unlike Toys R Us.

A few things:
  • No original cast. All random voice actors.
  • Only a select few rangers, and not even a sampling from each series. The Green, White, and Black Mighty Morphin' are the only ones missing from that era... Most series seem to only have 2 rangers or maybe some unlockable or something, but you can't use them to begin with so whatever.
  • No alter egos. Only morphed rangers. This also means no morphing sequences. Also, all rangers play the same.
  • Side scrolling beat em up with more than a few hidden things in each level. Pretty standard as far as things like that go. Controls aren't terrible, but it's basically a button masher... can't say I've ever played a game of this genre that wasn't though.
  • The side scrolling is really cool in my opinion. I don't think I've ever played a game like this. Full 3D, but there is no movement on the Z axis (yeah I know Yoshi's Story is like this, but I never actually played it haha). On top of this, the path that the player has to follow actually curves around and stuff in some places and makes there be a bit of depth for a 2D side scroller.
  • Has a "RPG" element in which collecting gem things or something will increase the Ranger's stats upon completion of the level. I personally haven't noticed a difference though.
  • Zord fights are pretty dull. It's just pressing button combos that appear on the screen... no direct control of the Mega Zord and no direct fighting.
  • You can use any unlocked Ranger on any level, it seems. I think you just have to go back to the main menu though, because when you start a new stage, it automatically has you playing that era's ranger.
  • The stages seem to be based around 2 Rangers together. This is presumably because of the 2 player co-op mode, but good luck finding a friend who is willing to play this with you.
  • Storyline has the Omega Ranger from SPD finding Lord Zedd as he is about to travel through time. Zedd's revert to his evil state is not clearly explained, but since time travel is involved, it doesn't really matter so much. So after Zedd escapes, the Omega ranger begins recruiting Rangers from various eras. Each level seems to start out with the Rangers of that era fighting their enemy, followed by the Omega Ranger contacting them. Some of them have Zord fights. I'm only a few levels in (like 3rd area in, and I'm only just entering Mighty Morphin' era-- Lost Galaxy was first after Omega Ranger, followed by Ninja Storm (that only had the Thunder Rangers available at the time).

All in all, not a terrible game given the genre. It would have been amazing to see morphing sequences and unmorphed gameplay like the old MMPR games on SNES/Genesis, and it would have been great to have all rangers present (should have been easy given that all rangers play exactly the same... only thing needed is different models with the same skeleton), but for 30$, it ain't half bad. Any fan of the show should check this out, assuming they can afford to blow 30$ on a game that really isn't going to last very long at all (unless you like mindless button mashing and tedious collecting secrets for meaningless unlockables).
Old 11-9-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Default Re: Power Rangers Super Legends

From the sounds of it, the old MMPR gameboy game I have is probably better. =\

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
EAGAMES
Y0FACE!
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

It's morphing time!!!
Round 2: 4 Chord Touhou (AAA)
Round 3: October (1.0.0.1)
Round 4: Silly Symphony (1.0.0.0)
Round 5: Hardkore Atomic (4.0.0.1)
Round 6: Blue Rose (2.0.0.0)
Round 7: La Dump (Eliminated for being lazy.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
EA will wander into his house with twenty minutes remaining in the round, load up FFR, realize he needs to ****, go to do so, discover he's hungry, whip up a gourmet meal, return to FFR with five minutes to go, play la camp once, and missflag on the 2154th arrow because scythe of 13 is watching him
EAGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
SuperSonicX
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to SuperSonicX

You mean they still make Power Ranger games?

If practice makes perfect, but no one has reached perfection, then why the hell practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
Welcome aboard. I'm a noob also, so don't feel bad.

Cheers,

Synthlight
SuperSonicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbutterfly View Post
From the sounds of it, the old MMPR gameboy game I have is probably better. =\
I also have that MMPR game on gameboy, and I must say: the simple fact that this game has more than one ground attack and one air attack, this game is better.

It also has way better handling and way better graphics. And more playable characters. And better story.

That gameboy game freaking sucks dude.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Can you press select and use your weapons? INCLUDING SHOOTING ARROWS WITH THE PINK RANGER!?

Also: No zords = suck*. And the few PR games I played with out-of-suit sequences were just dumb. Then again I only played those like a year ago on an emulator, so mehhhhhh.

And I bet the Gameboy game is much harder, albeit wayyyy shorter.

EDIT: *I mean being able to fight with the Zords.

But really, I don't think I've ever played a Power Rangers game that was even halfway decent compared to other games of their genre. =\

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote