Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
C.I.A.
Banned

Default Re: What are your thoughts on EBT/Food stamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmegaXX View Post
you do know that 85% of people who buy food with foodstamps from me also buy a pack of cigarettes or a 40 of beer right afterwards right? Whats stopping them from using that $5 to buy food instead of drugs.
yeah, so what? they earned that money and they can spend it how they want to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_..._United_States

some reading for you guys
C.I.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
Arkuski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Arkuski Send a message via Skype™ to Arkuski

Good argument up in here.

I'll make a more intelligent response later, but my gf works in a pharmacy in the bad part of town and let me tell you, trashy people on welfare exist and are abundant. Also, we care about this because ultimately we are financing these people wih our own tax dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
i can appreciate a good looking woman when i see one and this one just happened to be my mom
Arkuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #23
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

cigarettes werent the best example to use because that is correct by the USDA but i mean more like uneccessary products that arent vital to survival
Old 02-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #24
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.I.A. View Post
yeah, so what? they earned that money and they can spend it how they want to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_..._United_States

some reading for you guys
So you think it's perfectly fine to mooch off taxpayers for essentials, yet instead of using your earned money to try to improve your quality of life, or to stop mooching, you spend it on drugs instead?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #25
axith
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.I.A. View Post
Also, insurance companies and banks take more of your money than any welfare system ever will. The percentage of welfare money that's actually yours is so low that it's negligible.
For all I care, the entirety of what I pay into the system goes to one person. Breaking the portion of the taxes I pay yearly into several millions of chunks makes it sound just fine. 1/500,000th of a penny doesn't sound like much. Though one month of welfare/disability for a guy using said money to buy smokes and alcohol annoys the hell out of me. I'm not quoting precise numbers. I realize I don't have control over the way the money is spent.

I have known people on both ends of the welfare scheme. I know people that use medicade for their profit, use their foodstamps to pay people in food, and use whatever they get from disability/welfare to buy alcohol. I also know people that use the system to get up from a low point in their lives, and that, I don't have any problem with at all.

@spitfire That system sounds pretty good to me.

Edit: I should say that I know more people in the 'used government help to work themselves out a a low point' category than the 'living on the system' category.

Last edited by axith; 02-27-2013 at 03:10 PM..
axith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #26
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlp View Post
all good bro

i'd rather the government wouldn't invest in corrupt assholes too, rich or poor. also im aware we are the top military spenders in the world and thats what i am ok with, my tax dollars going towards keeping us the most powerful country in the world with the strongest military.
I definitely love where I live and I am not trying to act like I know everything about other countries either. I just don't like how we are almost in a comic book in many ways and what gets done with our military. It feels great to be safe but I don't feel right just sitting back and allowing us to kill many innocent people all for profit and power. Well obviously our military isnt' all set on intentions with ill will. I honestly have no answers or solutions I'm just some dude on ffr. I just want to try to get people to realize that our lack of compassion seems to stem from more then just ourselves..I may be kind of broad with all of this but it definitely all stems from something specific I have gone through. The history of the United States and all the corrupt stuff that goes on isn't really a secret in the age of the internet. I guess I'm contributing to the derailing of this thread but that seems to happen almost every time anyways haha
Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
C.I.A.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmegaXX View Post
So you think it's perfectly fine to mooch off taxpayers for essentials, yet instead of using your earned money to try to improve your quality of life, or to stop mooching, you spend it on drugs instead?
Don't put words in my mouth. I've explained my position adequately, if you have any more questions you can read my previous posts, for i must go now. You should realize, you have no facts to back up any of your claims.

p.s. that question is worded horribly and presupposes too many things for me to even begin to deconstruct it right now
C.I.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #28
TC_llama499
Resident Rock Climber
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TC_llama499 Send a message via MSN to TC_llama499 Send a message via Yahoo to TC_llama499

this thread is funny, seems like its people who have been on EBT VS Everyone else. why does everyone assume that people only use unemployment for drugs or booze? There are some people who actually need help from this, like people who work seasonal jobs or have gotten laid off. Its not mooching off tax payers its doing what you need to do to survive, i wonder how many people on here actually support themselves 100%
Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #29
JohnRedWolf87
Backlogger of Hobbies
FFR Veteran

If some people are content living so poorly that they waste the little money handed to them each month, then let them. The majority of people who receive government support actually want to better themselves (I know this thread isn't about them. Just putting it into perspective). The minority just seems like a lot because a small percentage of 314 million people is still a lot of people. Besides, programs like welfare for the poor barely make a dent compared to everything else the government spends taxpayer money on.

Also, the system-abusers might get enough money to support their drug/alcohol/tobacco habits, but beyond that they're hardly living the life of luxury. There's a reason that people aren't leaving employment in droves to go on welfare, other than joking about doing so.

dragonmegaxx: The fact that they're making more money than you goes to show how outdated current minimum-wage rates are, assuming that's what you're paid. It's been needing an increase.

xBBx Takedown's First Tournament - 2nd Place (Beginner)
ZC_Wolfy's Birthday Tournament - 3rd Place (Novice)
Dragons_Fury One Division Higher Tourney - 2nd Place (Novice)
Samurai7694's Ultimate Enduring Fabulous Tournament - 3rd Place (D1)
Dark_Chrysalis' 1st FFR Bowl - 2nd Place (D1), 13th place overall
Panic4Me and MrMagic's Thanksgiving Tournament - 2nd Place (D1)
JohnRedWolf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #30
funmonkey54
The Chill Keeper
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to funmonkey54

If this thread is about people that misuse welfare, but not actually any sort of claim about welfare: Yeah, irresponsible people suck in general.

If this is a thread saying the system is flawed: Yes. It is flawed. But in our current political state, reform is deadly. One side would altogether eliminate, leaving people like me choosing between prescriptions for my mother's PTSD and food so that my family doesn't starve because the food banks are all darn near empty. (Wanna see some DIRECT good from your charity? Go ask a food bank what they need and donate it.) The other side would dump an absurd amount of money into social programs leaving the economy reminiscent of a teenage girl with her first credit card.

No matter what this thread is about: Welfare is a necessary system that does a LOT of good. It's a real shame people misuse it, but the effects of not having it are far worse than a percentage of low-life individuals depending on it from laziness.

funmonkey54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #31
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Negative images stick more than positive images. People who mooch are the ones that are seen while people who use the system how they're supposed to, no matter how much bigger this group is, are not heard of. It's like seeing an image of pretty girls and one ugly fat sow and all you'll remember is the sow, or when your horoscope (lol whoever reads that shit) says that you'll get bad luck and all you notice is bad luck despite all the good things happening to you (cognitive bias).
Don't be so quick to judge, and certainly don't make hard claims about this kind of stuff without proper evidence to back it up (for example: statistics on welfare abuse).

Last edited by Nullifidian; 02-27-2013 at 03:23 PM..
Nullifidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #32
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

Just wondering what percentage of people in this thread work jobs and support themselves 100%? How many do or have had to rely on government assistance? How many rely on their parents, student loans? This is a question I am asking in earnest. I live in Detroit and see many people struggle daily, myself and Ipatch included, and I'm not sure that many of you actually have experience with any of this first-hand.

I do not believe that people who use government aid should totally be deprived of any and all luxury items. Do you believe that people who use foodstamps should not be allowed to have cable TV? What about internet? Cell phone? Video games? New clothes? Pets? I find it interesting that you specifically mentioned alcohol and cigarettes, despite these just being luxury items like many others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #33
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've worked jobs in the past but I'm solely relying on student loan (part gift after graduation and part ongoing loan) to get through my study and pay for my food and my apartment right now.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #34
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
If some people are content living so poorly that they waste the little money handed to them each month, then let them. The majority of people who receive government support actually want to better themselves (I know this thread isn't about them. Just putting it into perspective). The minority just seems like a lot because a small percentage of 314 million people is still a lot of people. Besides, programs like welfare for the poor barely make a dent compared to everything else the government spends taxpayer money on.

Also, the system-abusers might get enough money to support their drug/alcohol/tobacco habits, but beyond that they're hardly living the life of luxury. There's a reason that people aren't leaving employment in droves to go on welfare, other than joking about doing so.

dragonmegaxx: The fact that they're making more money than you goes to show how outdated current minimum-wage rates are, assuming that's what you're paid. It's been needing an increase.
1. I dont make minimum wage, I was exaggerating a bit.

2. This is a terrible idea and deserves a thread of it's own.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #35
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

The fact that they are spending money is a good thing regardless of what they purchase. There are taxes on said items. Specifically Alch/Tobacco is taxed much more than other products. Honestly, It is none of your business what people purchase with their money. There is nothing that will be gained from crying about it on the internets.

Do not be butthurt because the system is broken. Go out and do something about it. Talk to the correct government officials and let them know how you feel. They are only in power because of the voters. Pick up the phone and call your local reps. A reform is needed, that is for damn sure, It will not happen by QQ'ing on FFR Forums.

Take the amount of energy and time you have spent in this thread and talk to your local of age voters/representatives/etc. You will be amazed at the time they will give back to you. Even if it is a simple email to their offices. More than likely you will reach some who actually gives a fuck.
ELRayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #36
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELRayford View Post
The fact that they are spending money is a good thing regardless of what they purchase. There are taxes on said items. Specifically Alch/Tobacco is taxed much more than other products. Honestly, It is none of your business what people purchase with their money. There is nothing that will be gained from crying about it on the internets.

Do not be butthurt because the system is broken. Go out and do something about it. Talk to the correct government officials and let them know how you feel. They are only in power because of the voters. Pick up the phone and call your local reps. A reform is needed, that is for damn sure, It will not happen by QQ'ing on FFR Forums.

Take the amount of energy and time you have spent in this thread and talk to your local of age voters/representatives/etc. You will be amazed at the time they will give back to you. Even if it is a simple email to their offices. More than likely you will reach some who actually gives a fuck.
This p much, but make sure you're educated on the matter if you're trying to address it. Going to a representative and saying "Well, I see people buying beer n stuff with stamps n i dun like dat" won't get you any serious response from people who know their stuff.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #37
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

http://www.ehow.com/about_5439538_ge...fications.html

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1269

http://rsc.scalise.house.gov/solutions/food-welfare.htm

http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...-stamp-program

Some things to consider.
ELRayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #38
JohnRedWolf87
Backlogger of Hobbies
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
Just wondering what percentage of people in this thread work jobs and support themselves 100%? How many do or have had to rely on government assistance? How many rely on their parents, student loans? This is a question I am asking in earnest. I live in Detroit and see many people struggle daily, myself and Ipatch included, and I'm not sure that many of you actually have experience with any of this first-hand.

I do not believe that people who use government aid should totally be deprived of any and all luxury items. Do you believe that people who use foodstamps should not be allowed to have cable TV? What about internet? Cell phone? Video games? New clothes? Pets? I find it interesting that you specifically mentioned alcohol and cigarettes, despite these just being luxury items like many others.
My dad's helping to pay for gas and groceries until I find a job.
I apply for at least one job a day, if there aren't more.

xBBx Takedown's First Tournament - 2nd Place (Beginner)
ZC_Wolfy's Birthday Tournament - 3rd Place (Novice)
Dragons_Fury One Division Higher Tourney - 2nd Place (Novice)
Samurai7694's Ultimate Enduring Fabulous Tournament - 3rd Place (D1)
Dark_Chrysalis' 1st FFR Bowl - 2nd Place (D1), 13th place overall
Panic4Me and MrMagic's Thanksgiving Tournament - 2nd Place (D1)
JohnRedWolf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #39
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Since this is just a CC I'll just keep it light

-my mom has always been on welfare and hasn't had a job
-she has plantar fasciitis or some shit that makes her not be able to work.
-she can still work at a desk
-been trying to get disability for a while
-meanwhile wasted probably 5 years of her life complaining about this shit
-no post secondary education
-no job
-no experience

My mom is pretty much scum in my eyes, not gonna lie. She's probably a good example of a person who needs to be kicked off of the system and pushed face first into the harsh reality of unemployment. I know I have been living a kind life due to tax payers' money here in Canada (which seems pretty damn similar in some ways to how USA's welfare works) but I have always had this thought that if my mom was just forced into shit she would've been able to provide for her family better.

Instead she sits and whines about how she hasn't been able to get a job, isn't successful and how she was meant to do awesome things or something. I don't even know anymore what her current fad is when it comes to griping about her unemployed state. All I know is that I live(d) a sad life under her care, and it's a wonder how I am even still here.

tl;dr the system is actually spoon feeding people in my view, and it's actually damaging to the people who are on it.
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #40
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma View Post
but I have always had this thought that if my mom was just forced into shit she would've been able to provide for her family better.
Or, she might have been unable to find a job and unable to provide for her children. If she had even tried to get a job, with no skills, no experience and a disability that would've been very difficult. Would you have rather starved? Because being "pushed face first into the harsh reality of unemployment" potentially means no food, no shelter, certainly no internet connection and FFR. Without government aid or a job, providing for children? Do you honestly think that this would be a good idea?

There is this mentality that if someone simply works hard, then they can do whatever they want. This is simply not true. I got into university because I was born into a white middle class family in Canada and going to university was what was expected of me, so I maintained my grades with minimal effort and got in. I got my first part-time job (after several months of spraying out resumes) simply because my mum was a friend of the manager. Sometimes the amount of effort put in doesn't make a difference; sometimes people are simply dealt a bad hand in life and they need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote