Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds
Default Gun Kata

First of all, it's a type of martial arts that treats the gun as a full weapon. Anyone that has seen the movie "Equilibrium" has heard of the Gun Kata, and it has been fictitious.

Until now.

There are many websites out there that have the different stances of the Gun Kata and movements, and some have been applied to life situations.

It's geeky, but it's good exercise too.

I'm learning.

Thoughts?

<--- Nerd.

Mal

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:50 AM   #2
Jam930
FFR Player

Can you explain this in a bit more detail? i don't get it.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:52 AM   #3
SpookG
(For Great Justice!)
Retired StaffFFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to SpookG

just watch the movie jam, and you will know what he is talking about

Royal For Great Justice! Electronic Music est. 1999
kerBLAM

SpookG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:57 AM   #4
Jam930
FFR Player

errr...

Sorry but...
Maybe I don't have access to that particular movie.
Maybe I'm blind.
Maybe I'm not going to dent my wallet to watch some movie I probably wont even like just to help me understand some gun-related martial arts that some guy on a forum on the other side of the planet is starting a thread about it in a forum about a game where you make your fingers dance and see who's fingers can dance fastest.

State: Semi-annoyed.

I think my request was reasonable.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:26 AM   #5
IronMonk
FFR Player

heheh, considder it just fancy gun fighting, completly pointless. and if you are going to do any martial arts you might as well pick a really cool looking one. . ie tae chi,
Old 05-23-2004, 01:59 AM   #6
SotN
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SotN
Default Re: Gun Kata

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds
There are many websites out there that have the different stances of the Gun Kata and movements, and some have been applied to life situations.
Why dont you list some for us google impaired?

By the way, I intvented the double fist stance. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
SotN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 02:04 AM   #7
SpookG
(For Great Justice!)

actually... equilibrium is better than the first matrix (it says it on the cover, but its true)

kerBLAM

Old 05-23-2004, 03:08 AM   #8
IronMonk
FFR Player

BS!

I totally invented it before you!

i challenge you to a dule!

*slaps SotN in the face with a glove. *

engarde!

i havent seen equilibrium. but the matrix was pretty damn good.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:46 AM   #9
SpookG
(For Great Justice!)

ok, since people like jam haven't seen the movie I will take a moment more and actually explain it..

In this movie, the main character is a grammaton cleric, a group who are the best gunfighters in the world. they developed a martial art based on watching and systematically breaking down gunfights, and the way the guy moves is supposed to give him a higher chance of hitting the guy while avoiding getting hit.

it's a really weird idea, and im not sure how true it could be, but in either case it was made out to be totally awesome in the movie. I still reccommend watching it..the story is really good too

kerBLAM

Old 05-23-2004, 12:10 PM   #10
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

On the badass action movie chart, Equilibrium is higher than Matrix, but lower than Kill Bill.

Equilibrium is so awesome. Watching it with friends for the first time is great. I guarantee your mouth will drop.

And as for Gun Kata, sounds awesomely viewtiful, but it can't be as awesomely viewtiful as the Bo Staff.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 01:04 PM   #11
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

http://www.gunkatta.com/

This is the best authority on it right now. It has some CGI pics of several of the stances, plus some forms that those leet nerds are just making up.

And Tae Chi kicks ass. It does.

Mal

PS: Jam, don't get pissed off. Among the things to get pissed off for, not understanding gun martial arts shouldn't be on that list. And Jam, don't start shit here. If you don't like it, then to quote you, "Kiddo, you're in the wrong forum."

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 01:58 PM   #12
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

That site is pretty good. Some of those stances are very familiar to me.

In my karate class, we had a very familiar defensive position we called the "box block." This is only modified so that the front arm aims foward, making it an offensive position.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:57 AM   #13
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces

Equilibrium rocked, it beat the Matrix hands down. The story was a little shaky at times, but when it came to the fight scenes, it bent the Matrix over and beat it like a red-headed stepchild. Go see this movie, now.

Specforces
Old 05-24-2004, 07:00 AM   #14
Jam930
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds
http://www.gunkatta.com/

This is the best authority on it right now. It has some CGI pics of several of the stances, plus some forms that those leet nerds are just making up.

And Tae Chi kicks ass. It does.

Mal

PS: Jam, don't get pissed off. Among the things to get pissed off for, not understanding gun martial arts shouldn't be on that list. And Jam, don't start (#$% here. If you don't like it, then to quote you, "Kiddo, you're in the wrong forum."
Sorry =/

just wanted to know what the thread was about, and then being told to go do something stupid rather than being helped...*sigh. that's what i was angry over.

was just asking for knowledge, nothing more...at least at that moment.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:28 PM   #15
Krappyappy
FFR Player

sorry, but equilibrium is not a good movie, and gunkata is a contrived concept that's hardly plausible, even within a fantasy setting. many movies have completely unrealistic premises, but they make up for it with an entertaining, exciting, or suspenseful delivery. equilibrium only made me laugh, because it crosses the 'wackiness threshold' beyond which i am unable to suspend my disbelief.

to apply 'kata' in anything other than training is just silly - katas are not to be used in mortal combat, with unpredictable and [gasp] intelligent enemies. adding the word 'gun' in front only makes the whole exercise seem more comical. maybe the lay moviegoer would be impressed by a man killing a room full of heavily armed enemies while standing in one spot and waving his guns around in some strange dance of death, but to me it's much too scripted and unbelievable. obviously, all movie action sequences are choreographed, but there's natural, believable choreography, and then there's gunkata. the action sequences of equilibrium [all 15 minutes of it] can be compared to entertainment wrestling - inelegant and without substance.

the good guy almost always wins in any action movie, yet what makes the movie exciting is his vulnerability during the story, despite our knowledge that he will succeed in the end. what makes equilibrium a disappointing movie is the lack of this vulnerability. preston is completely surrounded by men with automatic weapons, but he manages to kill them all and avoid even a scratch, all without moving his feet. [to be fair, he moves most other parts of his body, 90% of which is unnecesary to the operation of his pistols] i have to wonder: why didn't someone just shoot him? he is a nice, motionless target. it can't be that hard to hose him down with 30 rounds of automatic rifle ammunition.

equilibrium has one good thing going for it: the setting. the film does a good job of creating an orwellian, dystopic future. that, however, is hardly an innovative accomplishment - it's merely another addition to the pile.

EDIT:

apparently this has all been slightly off-topic, since this thread seems to be about the real-life practice of gunkata rather than the movie. of course, given that i think gunkata is implausible even inside a movie, you may guess my opinion of actually trying this in reality. i guess i shouldn't be surprised, people will try anything. there's probably a 'dodge bullets like neo' group somewhere, practicing as i'm typing this.
Krappyappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:08 PM   #16
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Well Krappyappy, you got one thing right:
Quote:
people will try anything
Old 05-26-2004, 06:20 PM   #17
fusi0n
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to fusi0n

Unless your enemy is a retard, there usually isn't much time to do fancy poses during a real-life bullet volley.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:26 PM   #18
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusi0n
Unless your enemy is a retard, there usually isn't much time to do fancy poses during a real-life bullet volley.
It's a psychological trick, don't you see? Doing fancy poses makes you look like a Gun-Fu master, and scares your enemy shitless because he's all like, "Oh snap, he's a Gun-Fu master! I'm screwed! Maybe if I don't attack he won't whoop my ass." And then you shoot him.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:29 PM   #19
fusi0n
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to fusi0n

Oh...that's what they are always thinking. Why doesn't the military adopt this ingenious art?
Old 05-26-2004, 06:34 PM   #20
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusi0n
Oh...that's what they are always thinking. Why doesn't the military adopt this ingenious art?
Because the military likes to do things quietly whenever they can. I don't think they send out 1337 rambo squads on missions.

But who knows, maybe they do use this ingenious art, but it's classified?