Old 08-27-2022, 09:48 PM   #141
Lights
owo
Head of Events Team
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Dump Batch Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sff_writer_dan View Post
Yeah when I made the comparison to legacy files, I thought it would be pretty clear that it was a joke, just like taking the "dumps means the steps don't map directly onto distinct sounds" concept and applying it, for humour, to legacy files being incredibly out of sync.

It definitely is the case that there are probably people here opposing dumps because the name evokes files like vROFL where you just "dump" notes into a file, so I think it might be worth the effort to find a better name that evokes what people want, but I also don't think 'abstract' gets you there either. There's definitely still a direct connection between the music and the steps, as I understand it, you're just taking liberties to replace what might be a single quarter note with an 8-note roll when the song has a buzz. It's still starting and stopping to the music, it's just a more liberal interpretation of a pattern inside the note yeah?

I think there's a lot of potential in being able to take more downtempo stuff and make it more technically difficult and a higher difficulty with 'dumps' being allowed, not just songs that are >100

Like, correct me if I'm wrong, but the way 'dump' is meant to be used here could easily cover stuff like the opening buzz tones in Dendrite which are nothing in the v1, and single notes in the v2, being like bursts or rolls instead which would make it "a dump" technically but still be as low as 50 or 60 depending on what else is done in there.
Theres a lot of ways dumping can be applied, not even necessarily being limited to ghost notes- but even focusing on the presence of ghost notes, its still very possible to dump certain sounds and end up with a lower difficulty file. I could see going down into the 30s and 40s being viable if enough care was given towards doing so, though this would be more exceptional than the norm. That said, I don't think theres going to be any dumped content for D1 players in the near future as the added note density and quick rhythms introduced would kinda necessarily bump it up at least into the d2 range. Though i'd love to be proven wrong here.

Last edited by Lights; 08-27-2022 at 09:50 PM..
Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:40 AM   #142
Xtreme2252
Jumpstreams Suck
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Xtreme2252 Send a message via MSN to Xtreme2252 Send a message via Yahoo to Xtreme2252 Send a message via Skype™ to Xtreme2252

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8rNRmmosmA
Xtreme2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 01:21 AM   #143
sff_writer_dan
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
Theres a lot of ways dumping can be applied, not even necessarily being limited to ghost notes- but even focusing on the presence of ghost notes, its still very possible to dump certain sounds and end up with a lower difficulty file. I could see going down into the 30s and 40s being viable if enough care was given towards doing so, though this would be more exceptional than the norm. That said, I don't think theres going to be any dumped content for D1 players in the near future as the added note density and quick rhythms introduced would kinda necessarily bump it up at least into the d2 range. Though i'd love to be proven wrong here.
Yeah this is why I think 'dump' is the wrong word for this, and is probably contributing to the people opposing the idea of including this as a viable stepping strategy under the assumption that it means "Nonsense 115 difficulty noiz"

I absolutely agree that plenty of stuff in the 30s and 40s could be what is technically a dump by intentional, creative and vibe appropriate "overstepping" of more downtempo songs that include sounds that lend themselves to converting a note or jump into a short burst etc.
sff_writer_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:09 PM   #144
Tru
e
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile Author

Submissions close at midnight server time tonight! (less than 6 hours from this post)

Thank you for all your submissions to the dump batch!
Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:52 PM   #145
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

If I didn't have a syncing issue I'd have subbed to this x.x
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 08:29 PM   #146
ToonE156
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

I would've submitted if we had F Rabbeat permissions
If accuracy is not your middle name, my balls smell like lavender and honey.

ToonE156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 02:39 PM   #147
Tru
e
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile Author

The dump batch is now in active judgment, until approximately the end of November.

Judging will work similar to the Ooga Booga Batch earlier this year where a group of people will post their comments and an Accept/Fixes Required/Reject rating directly on each file's submission page.

The current review group is: Myself, Pizza69, M0nkeyz, Mipha, Oppiie, Wiosna and lofty

We're aiming for each post to have at least 1-2 sentences to justify each person's reasoning rather than only giving a simple Accept/Reject rating. Files that have not reached a clear consensus of Accept/Reject by the end of November will be given a more detailed/thorough review.
Tru is offline   Reply With Quote