Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-6-2009, 07:04 PM   #101
Solid Dreams
FFR Player

Default Re: Getting a new computer. Need advice.

I like the logitech g11 personally. I think it's easier to stretch from ASWD than from the numpad.

Quote:
You shouldn't talk down to people you don't know anything about, acting like you know more and then try to show them up in the forum. That's how you get absolutely no where.
Solid Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-6-2009, 07:08 PM   #102
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaKIWI View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Vista, you don't know what you're talking about.
Yes there is, and pretending otherwise is just silly.

It was a rushed product that the became the 'in' thing to hate. It's improved drastically, but since it's image was marred so early Microsoft decided to rename Windows 6.1 'Windows 7'. 7 is really just a point upgrade from Vista, with a bunch of 'under the hood' improvements.

Monitors. I don't really keep up with monitors, I'm still using a 4:3 19" Dell LCD. I hear Samsung has some exceptionally good gaming monitors, but I can't recall which ones they are. Many people will tell you to stick with LCD's, and others will scoff and recommend CRT's for blacker blacks and various other minute advantages that no one really cares about.

Quote:
OLD Logitech G15 keyboard
Everyone recommends these for gaming. I wouldn't know, I don't have one, but it's probably a safe bet. Good luck finding one, they're out of production, having been replaced by a new version dubbed "G15 Refresh" as opposed to "G15 Gaming".

Logitech also makes some really great mice (I recall the G5 in particular being recommended to me), but you have to watch out for the silly ricer mice they also make that have tons of LED's and a weird shape that gives your hand diseases.

On the subject of price/performance and future-proofing, Relambrien is absolutely correct, except that I'd give a system like yours much longer than three years. Double that, probably.
MrGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-6-2009, 07:14 PM   #103
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Have any of you used Windows 7 beta?
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-6-2009, 07:23 PM   #104
Solid Dreams
FFR Player

Samsung's new ones are great, but like giggles I cant really remember.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...=LS22CMFKFV/ZA

They do however do the 3D stuff. Which is pretty slick.

Quote:
You shouldn't talk down to people you don't know anything about, acting like you know more and then try to show them up in the forum. That's how you get absolutely no where.
Solid Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-6-2009, 07:32 PM   #105
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
Have any of you used Windows 7 beta?
I'm on the RC right now. It really is basically a fixed Windows Vista. The most obvious change is in the taskbar. You can make it so that none of the icons on the taskbar use text in any way, only icons, which saves space. All windows from the same program are grouped under the same icon. It's really very useful.

Search has been upgraded so that instead of navigating to all your different files, you can just type in the name and by some magic the OS manages to find it for you in a second or two.

There are new options for resizing windows which are particularly useful for dual-monitor setups.

Windows Update is much better than it ever was previously due to the ability for Windows to find drivers automatically for virtually all of your hardware.

Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player have been improved beyond all recognition. IE may not yet be a competitor with Firefox and Chrome yet, but it's much better than it ever has been. Windows Media Player has thrown everything I've played at it, and even succeeded at things that old favorite Media Player Classic has not.

Compatibility is a non-issue as anything that worked in Vista should work just fine in 7.

Homegroups are a fantastic addition to networking.

Finally, the most controversial aspect of Windows Vista, UAC, has been tweaked and improved in every way. It is now exceptionally effective while remaining non-intrusive. I experience maybe one or two UAC prompts a day at most.

Really, the list of improvements is endless. Compatibility was the main issue with Vista when it launched, and that's been largely fixed. Windows 7 builds on that and improves virtually every aspect of the OS. I have had absolutely zero problems with Windows 7 and would recommend that anyone who has the specs to run it get it.
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-6-2009, 08:10 PM   #106
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relambrien View Post
I'm on the RC right now. It really is basically a fixed Windows Vista. The most obvious change is in the taskbar. You can make it so that none of the icons on the taskbar use text in any way, only icons, which saves space. All windows from the same program are grouped under the same icon. It's really very useful.

Search has been upgraded so that instead of navigating to all your different files, you can just type in the name and by some magic the OS manages to find it for you in a second or two.

There are new options for resizing windows which are particularly useful for dual-monitor setups.

Windows Update is much better than it ever was previously due to the ability for Windows to find drivers automatically for virtually all of your hardware.

Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player have been improved beyond all recognition. IE may not yet be a competitor with Firefox and Chrome yet, but it's much better than it ever has been. Windows Media Player has thrown everything I've played at it, and even succeeded at things that old favorite Media Player Classic has not.

Compatibility is a non-issue as anything that worked in Vista should work just fine in 7.

Homegroups are a fantastic addition to networking.

Finally, the most controversial aspect of Windows Vista, UAC, has been tweaked and improved in every way. It is now exceptionally effective while remaining non-intrusive. I experience maybe one or two UAC prompts a day at most.

Really, the list of improvements is endless. Compatibility was the main issue with Vista when it launched, and that's been largely fixed. Windows 7 builds on that and improves virtually every aspect of the OS. I have had absolutely zero problems with Windows 7 and would recommend that anyone who has the specs to run it get it.
How do you find Windows 7 to work with high end games? How about older games?
Old 07-6-2009, 08:19 PM   #107
Relambrien
FFR Player

Quote:
Everything has been working perfectly except Starcraft, which has some color problems in menus. That's it. And the color thing is a 64-bit issue, not a Win7 issue.

Like I said, if it works on Vista, it's more or less guaranteed to work on 7. Hell, you can even use Vista drivers for anything that doesn't have Win7 drivers and it'll work.
Old 07-6-2009, 11:26 PM   #108
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I was running 7000 until a few days ago when I upgraded to the RC thanks to the bi-hourly shutdowns. If it works with Vista, it'll work with 7. I mean, 7 IS Vista, just with a new name and some improvements. All the drivers are the same and to date the only confirmed non-working program is daemon tools, and they released a 7-compatible release not long ago.

I don't know if the RC fixed this, but sleep mode works maybe 1/3 of the time. Otherwise, it's as if a random clock from 5 minutes to 6 hours starts timing down, and when it reaches 0 my computer starts back up again on its own. It TERRIFIED me when it first happened at 3 AM. I put it back to sleep, and ten minutes later it starts up again and I started sleeping with a bat next to me. Then I learned that other people were having this problem too.

Additionally, it tends to get stuck in a power cycle, where it turns on, turns off, rinse lather repeat. And you can't stop that ****er once it happens. Power button is unresponsive even when held, reboot button does nothing. You actually have to kill the PSU for at least ten seconds or else when you switch it back it just keeps going again.

Some people had issues with Windows Media Player using 100% of their resources to index music for hours on end and being unresponsive to the point where you have to reboot. That got fixed in the RC though, I know for sure.

But if the RC fixed those issues I have no other complaints. All my games run great, Fallout 3, L4D, Touhou, stepsmanier, Far Cry 2, Braid, Reckless Disregard for Gravity, etc. I haven't tried any emulators yet though.
Old 07-6-2009, 11:47 PM   #109
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

WHAT I absolutely need Daemon Tools. I use that like I breathe air. I hope it works in the final release (assuming I've read you correctly -- I can't tell if you mean it's no longer a problem or not).
Old 07-7-2009, 12:26 AM   #110
Relambrien
FFR Player

Quote:
WHAT I absolutely need Daemon Tools. I use that like I breathe air. I hope it works in the final release (assuming I've read you correctly -- I can't tell if you mean it's no longer a problem or not).
I believe Daemon Tools released an update that now allows it to work with Windows 7. I don't use it personally so I can't be sure, but you might want to look into it.
Old 07-7-2009, 01:10 PM   #111
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relambrien View Post
I believe Daemon Tools released an update that now allows it to work with Windows 7. I don't use it personally so I can't be sure, but you might want to look into it.
What he said. Daemon Tools recently had a W7-compatible release, so you should be covered. I'm pretty sure that Daemon Tools was the only major program that didn't work just dandy in W7.
Old 07-7-2009, 01:39 PM   #112
Kagami_Hiiragi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kagami_Hiiragi

Too bad you don't want the one submerged.
that one was badass.
Kagami_Hiiragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2009, 02:02 PM   #113
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Dude that rig is $10K

lmao

Pretty sure anyone would WANT it. lmao

As for Daemon Tools, that's good to hear!

Last edited by MrRubix; 07-7-2009 at 02:04 PM..
Old 07-7-2009, 02:25 PM   #114
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I am going to make a video of the rig when it arrives
Old 07-7-2009, 02:52 PM   #115
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglinguy View Post
Lolwindows
What other OS can you really do any gaming on? I'm a Linux nerd but I still have Windows on my rig for the sole purpose of gaming. Rubix is mostly using this game for gaming and not looking like a metrosexual ****** at Starbucks making coffee table albums on his macbook. Mac is good with the specific software it comes but sucks ass for basically everything else.

Also I've tried Windows 7 and it is godly. First of all it is NOT Vista with some fixes...it does come from Vista but the Kernal, and the way it runs its Filesystem are COMPLETELY different. I would say it's better than XP for gaming even at this early stage.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2009, 02:55 PM   #116
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Really... that is very good to hear

XP seems pretty solid right now, at least for me, but it would be great to actually have a faster OS that isn't bloatware (according to what I've heard about Vista)
Old 07-7-2009, 03:28 PM   #117
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Really... that is very good to hear

XP seems pretty solid right now, at least for me, but it would be great to actually have a faster OS that isn't bloatware (according to what I've heard about Vista)
Bloatware is just applications that come with an OS, and isn't really a bad thing unless it's overdone. The reason I think why Vista got a bad name is our age group got so used to XP, as we basically grew up on it (Not grow up but we don't really use computers as a kid), and Vista came as like "WOAH DIFFERENT MUST SUCK". Also a lot of noobs who think RAM is the only thing that will make your computer run faster gawk and the Task Manager and see it using so much RAM, which is being used to preform tasks XP does too just more efficiently. Also Windows 7 is better because it comes with better features...like a screen shot application (FINALLY IT'S ONLY BEEN A DECADE), a better file system, and it's way more efficient.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2009, 03:31 PM   #118
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Another great thing about windows 7 is its huge driver library. Makes it much easier to plug and play all kinds of hardware and have it find the driver automatically.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2009, 05:16 PM   #119
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
Bloatware is just applications that come with an OS, and isn't really a bad thing unless it's overdone. The reason I think why Vista got a bad name is our age group got so used to XP, as we basically grew up on it (Not grow up but we don't really use computers as a kid), and Vista came as like "WOAH DIFFERENT MUST SUCK". Also a lot of noobs who think RAM is the only thing that will make your computer run faster gawk and the Task Manager and see it using so much RAM, which is being used to preform tasks XP does too just more efficiently. Also Windows 7 is better because it comes with better features...like a screen shot application (FINALLY IT'S ONLY BEEN A DECADE), a better file system, and it's way more efficient.
That feels so weird to read.

I started out on Windows 3.1 or whatever, upgraded to 95, then 98, then ME (worst. mistake. ever.) then XP

XD
Old 07-7-2009, 06:34 PM   #120
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaKIWI View Post
lol Banditcom, it wasn't a Maxtor was it?
No.... rofl

It is a Hitachi. Here are the stats compared to a WD Black:

HD Tune: Hitachi HDT721010SLA3 Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 55.5 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 112.2 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 89.8 MB/sec
Access Time : 15.0 ms
Burst Rate : 167.1 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 4.0%

HD Tune: WDC WD1001FALS-00K1B0 Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 52.6 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 106.2 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 85.9 MB/sec
Access Time : 12.4 ms
Burst Rate : 112.2 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 7.0%

Last edited by banditcom; 07-7-2009 at 06:44 PM..
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote