Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #41
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Shashakiro
Default Re: Tales of symphonia

Oh, I should pre-order vesperia. If they don't **** it up it has the potential to be my new all-time favorite RPG.

if I can't use tech house's 360 next year I've gotta buy one...i own too many games for that console now to not have access to it for more than a summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiebear
use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.
Shashakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #42
BloodDemonRayoku
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Yukari- View Post
Mother****er, I just found this thread. +1 for foilman.

Yeah yeah, I spent hundreds of hours playing this game, literally. I had multiple playthroughs and ALMOST had everything unlocked before my disc 1 mysteriously disappeared (don't ask me how I'm dumb enough to lose a disc of my 2nd favorite game lol).

I liked to use Lloyd, Sheena, Presea and Regal. Please don't give me **** about using Sheena, she comboed well, which was fun. If you liked Zelos, kudos, he was good too but didn't have the big chest.

I only got as high as level 102 or something, but IMO the higher the level the less skill you exhibit. I was able to beat the game at level 42 or something, which takes actual skill rather than having a higher number than your opponents.

Haha Sweet 102. -.- still can't get there,
I'll give you points on that one beating the game on level 42 is amazing
I remember the first time i tried to beat abyssion.
... <<; i used a flippin All-Divide XD which took me like 2 hrs longer to do
I dont understand why people would you ish for using sheena
sheena's is actually a decent Person to use espicaly since when raine is dead sheena can pop out a Purgatory Seal,
Zelos my second main man, but i wont bug about HOOOOOOW GOOD He is. XD
I found basicly, everything
just a few things missing
The best maze in the game would probably be the Soul Fire Quest,
Lol,

Party: Llyod, Genis, Zelos Sheena, or Llyod, Zelos Sheena, Genis
^^v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
The AI is generally fairly weak in both games (WTF RAINE YOU ****TARD YOU DO NOT GO MELEE ATTACK THE ENEMY EVER HOLY **** NOW CAST REVITALIZE AGAIN YOU STUPID BITCH) but Colette is especially godawful.

And SO3 is the worst RPG I've played, IMO. Towards the beginning it was fun, but oh my god the horrible plot twist crap and the balance of monster strength made zero sense throughout and the skills system and aacckk why did i play that game instead of finishing disgaea
Did it ever kill you to use the option that states
The Battle formation
In which you can TELL RAINE TO NOT ATTACK AT ALL AND JUST HEAL?

noo. i guess not,
next time before b**** look at everything from the game,

Last edited by Squeek; 08-20-2008 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: don't double post
BloodDemonRayoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #43
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugomaru View Post
But seriously, if you think about it, what isn't cliche anymore?
Tales games.

You haven't played Abyss. You would have a different opinion on expected standards after playing it.

Quote:
oh here we go again squeek and his baseless final fantasy/square-enix games "opinions" give it a rest, just because you don't like it doesn't mean is horrible and that the battle system is wrong, or anything >_> and for your information SO did the free running battles BEFORE Tales of series, (not that i like SO more than tales of but you gotta give credit where is deserved) "I said 40% because the rest is plot, character development (oh wait this is Square we're talking about here), music and sound and graphics." that right there made me realize you have really not played FF games with an open mind or at least get halfway through them =/.
It's not baseless. I've played them.

Star Ocean may have done it first (I don't think they did), but Tales did it right. More often than not I missed swings in Star Ocean 3 because I couldn't tell if I was lined up or not. Tales resets your 1v1 line of sight after you release the free run button so you're guaranteed to be lined up with your target.

I played FFX long before I played a Tales game. The only other RPG I played to that point was Pokemon. Where would my bias come from?

Yes, I did not finish FFX, but there was absolutely no character development in the 30 hours I played. I did not finish Chrono Trigger, but there was no character development in the amount of time I played that. I finished Star Ocean 3 and there was no character development at all. None.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodDemonRayoku View Post
Did it ever kill you to use the option that states
The Battle formation
In which you can TELL RAINE TO NOT ATTACK AT ALL AND JUST HEAL?

noo. i guess not,
next time before b**** look at everything from the game,
He put 500 hours into the game. I think he knows what he's talking about.

I told Raine "heal only" and she would melee attack. It happens. You cannot stop it.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #44
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Tales games.

You haven't played Abyss. You would have a different opinion on expected standards after playing it.

It's not baseless. I've played them.

Star Ocean may have done it first (I don't think they did), but Tales did it right. More often than not I missed swings in Star Ocean 3 because I couldn't tell if I was lined up or not. Tales resets your 1v1 line of sight after you release the free run button so you're guaranteed to be lined up with your target.

I played FFX long before I played a Tales game. The only other RPG I played to that point was Pokemon. Where would my bias come from?

Yes, I did not finish FFX, but there was absolutely no character development in the 30 hours I played. I did not finish Chrono Trigger, but there was no character development in the amount of time I played that. I finished Star Ocean 3 and there was no character development at all. None.
i played abyss and i admit their characters are not 100% cliche but the story doesn't hold any water compared to others, the characters are my favorite thing of it, but every other part is just ok in my opinion.

ohhh yes you played them.... you played so many final fantasy games that you can judge the whole franchise... no i mean the whole company.

is obvious you are biased......

stop trying to transform opinions into facts, really i thought you knew your english IV =/.

oh and please stop lying because in a previous post in the final fantasy thread you clearly said you only played for 20 hours which sounds pretty much ridiculous and harsh because if i recall correctly most plot twists in tales of games happen after long hours of playing, yet you only gave this game 20 hours??? and didn't even try to see what happens later in the game? (i got 99 hours to get everything in the game but that's another story)

Last edited by zidart; 08-20-2008 at 09:25 PM..
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #45
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

No, I haven't played all of them. I've said that so many times now.

I played one and that one game convinced me not to play the others because it was really, really bad. My Square bias comes from not liking any of the games I've played from them (except Super Mario RPG). It's as simple as that.

And I just remembered that I've played two Final Fantasy games actually. Crystal Chronicles. Which was HORRIBLE.

First impressions are lasting. I can't remember ever playing a sequel to a game that I didn't like. Why would anyone want to do that?

I didn't like Metal Gear Solid. I didn't buy MGS2 or MGS3.
I didn't like Resident Evil 0. I didn't play Resident Evil 4 (despite owning it).
I didn't like Animal Crossing. I won't be buying Animal Crossing Wii.
I didn't like Pikmin. I didn't buy Pikmin 2 and I probably won't buy Pikmin 3 unless they fix what I hated about the first two.

See that last line? Fixing what I don't like? Final Fantasy never did that. I realized after playing Symphonia and Baten Kaitos that most turn-based systems are boring. I was excited to hear Final Fantasy 12 would have a real-time battle system, but that was a lie. It was just a horrible attempt at making a real-time battle system. I don't have a PS3 or a 360 so I'm not even worrying about FF13, but let's hope they can make a working battle system.

Also, I state my opinions this way. That's just what I do. It's up to you to realize when I'm speaking with facts and when I'm speaking with opinions.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #46
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidart View Post
i played abyss and i admit their characters are not 100% cliche but the story doesn't hold any water compared to others, the characters are my favorite thing of it, but every other part is just ok in my opinion.
TotA has the best storyline of any game I've ever played, and I have no idea how it "doesn't hold water to others", but you're entitled to your opinion.

Quote:
ohhh yes you played them.... you played so many final fantasy games that you can judge the whole franchise... no i mean the whole company.
I've played four, although admittedly I've only actually finished FFX. I'm sure Squeek has played more than just one. Four is more than enough to get a good sense, I think.

By the way, I'm not biased against Square--for example, I personally think that the Kingdom Hearts series is amazing and one of the best non-RPG (I absolutely do not consider it an RPG), non-music game games I've ever played. But for the popularity it has, the FF series isn't nearly as good as it seems it ought to be IMO--too much emphasis on flashy/realistic graphics, and not enough on fun and engaging gameplay.

Also, as Squeek said, Raine (and Genis) will, at rare times, go up and attack the enemy with every single strategy option (even L-Range Magic) except for Hold Position. If I was super srs about a battle I could simply keep her on that setting and manually input all her healing spells, but eh.

Quote:
Old 08-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #47
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
No, I haven't played all of them. I've said that so many times now.

I played one and that one game convinced me not to play the others because it was really, really bad. My Square bias comes from not liking any of the games I've played from them (except Super Mario RPG). It's as simple as that.

And I just remembered that I've played two Final Fantasy games actually. Crystal Chronicles. Which was HORRIBLE.

First impressions are lasting. I can't remember ever playing a sequel to a game that I didn't like. Why would anyone want to do that?

I didn't like Metal Gear Solid. I didn't buy MGS2 or MGS3.
I didn't like Resident Evil 0. I didn't play Resident Evil 4 (despite owning it).
I didn't like Animal Crossing. I won't be buying Animal Crossing Wii.
I didn't like Pikmin. I didn't buy Pikmin 2 and I probably won't buy Pikmin 3 unless they fix what I hated about the first two.

See that last line? Fixing what I don't like? Final Fantasy never did that. I realized after playing Symphonia and Baten Kaitos that most turn-based systems are boring. I was excited to hear Final Fantasy 12 would have a real-time battle system, but that was a lie. It was just a horrible attempt at making a real-time battle system. I don't have a PS3 or a 360 so I'm not even worrying about FF13, but let's hope they can make a working battle system.

Also, I state my opinions this way. That's just what I do. It's up to you to realize when I'm speaking with facts and when I'm speaking with opinions.
crystal chronicles WAS NOT developed by square-enix.

woow you do realize that most of those sequels actually changed the gameplay? (except pikmin and animal crossing)

please understand it already, try to LEARN how to do a written opinion is a basic skill you learn in English 4, you mention everything as if its a fact, if you write like that you are only going lower than trolls.

again the turn based systems, i understand some people might not like them but that doesn't mean they are completely broken, horrible or don't work at all...

well the thing i have with abyss' story is that i was expecting a whole lot more plot twists like Symphonia had, sure it was ok i enjoyed it, is one of my favorite games ever (again can't decide between this and symphonia) and it has Jade on it XD, but i just expected a whole lot more of the story-line,i think is not bad but is not great but again the characters make up for it.

Last edited by zidart; 08-20-2008 at 09:45 PM..
Old 08-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #48
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO

Plot twists are a double-edged sword.

SO3 is pretty widely recognized (as far as I've seen) for having one of the most painfully terrible, story-ruining plot twists in all of gaming.

Quote:
Old 08-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #49
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Plot twists are a double-edged sword.

SO3 is pretty widely recognized for having one of the most painfully terrible, story-ruining plot twists in all of gaming.
well, i meant the good type of plot twists, like the ones in FF games, other tales of games, baten kaitos, phoenix wright, metal gear etc etc etc.

i do understand there's bad plot twists but i was expecting the good ones XD
Old 08-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #50
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

Unless they added plot twists to the FF games after FFVI, I haven't seen one.

EDIT: Squeek, I can't argue with you about the stories of any Tales game yet because I have yet to play them, but the same goes for you and most Final Fantasy games. You don't know enough about the stories or characters to make generalizations based on one other game.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #51
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Unless they added plot twists to the FF games after FFVI, I haven't seen one.

~Tsugomaru
they have, and FF III,IV and VI had some suprises to keep you glued to the story.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #52
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

I've played FFI-VI and to be honest, IV and VI both had decent stories. The rest were simple and the only way I can really appreciate the other 4 games is if I compared them to games during their time.

Stories without plot twists aren't necessarily bad and in fact, they can be quite good sometimes.

And no, there are no plot twists. Just wacky plot-hole filled explanations for some of the wackier moments of the story.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #53
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidart View Post
crystal chronicles WAS NOT developed by square-enix.
Says Square-Enix on the box. I know because I stupidly bought the game. There's this cute little caption in the bottom left corner on the back that reads "Developed by Square-Enix Co. Ltd. (c) 2003, 2004"

Quote:
woow you do realize that most of those sequels actually changed the gameplay? (except pikmin and animal crossing)
I like how "most" ends up being 2/4, which isn't "most".

Metal Gear Solid didn't change at all. I've seen enough of the sequels to understand this.
Resident Evil 4 fixed everything that was wrong with the series and I intend to play it someday but just remembering how horrible Resident Evil 0 was makes me not want to. I did buy Umbrella Chronicles as you probably noticed from the Wii thread. Didn't finish that, but I did enjoy that presentation of the game much more than the standard Resident Evil gameplay.

Quote:
please understand it already, try to LEARN how to do a written opinion is a basic skill you learn in English 4, you mention everything as if its a fact, if you write like that you are only going lower than trolls.
It is my opinion that what you think 4th grade English taught me is incorrect. It is my opinion that saying "it is my opinion" before every sentence with my opinions in them is stupid. It is my opinion that I should leave it up to the reader to distinguish between when I am stating my opinions versus when I am citing factual evidence.

"Halo sucks" carries more weight than "It is my opinion that Halo is a bad video game." It's obvious that it's just my opinion that Halo sucks because I am not supreme dictator of what video games are good and what video games are not good. If anyone is, it's the compilation of all video game media, who nearly unanimously say Halo is a fantastic game.

Quote:
again the turn based systems, i understand some people might not like them but that doesn't mean they are completely broken, horrible or don't work at all...
It's funny that the only Final Fantasy game I played was X, because that was one of the only ones with a normal turn-based system. I absolutely abhor the Active Time Battle System, which is the reason I never got very far in Chrono Trigger.

As for turn-based battles, I just really don't find them realistic. They're incredibly slow-paced and make the game drag on for hours more than it would if it were real-time. The longest battle in Tales of Symphonia or Abyss took me half an hour in real-time. The longest battle in Baten Kaitos took me nearly four hours to beat. Seriously. FOUR HOURS. I'm glad I didn't lose at any point in the match lest I need to restart that entire thing. However, the battle system in Baten Kaitos was fun and I never fell asleep mashing A to get Player 1, Attack, Target, Player 2, Attack, Target, Player 3, Attack, Target, Player 4, Attack, Target, Accept, End Turn.

If I'm ever super, super bored I will play Final Fantasy VI. But looking at my RPG list for SNES that I still haven't played, I still have Secret of Mana, Earthbound, and Tales of Phantasia to play. Yes, believe it or not, I haven't played Tales of Phantasia. Well, that's not exactly true. I played about an hour of it before the game crashed. I never bothered to get an updated version and I refuse to get the GBA version as that ruined the game.

Last edited by Squeek; 08-20-2008 at 11:29 PM..
Old 08-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #54
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO

squeek: I thought you approved of disgaea? that has 100% turn-based battles

also if Nebilim on Unknown takes you less than a full hour or two you have spent too much time stat leveling, but I assume you never tried that stupid battle. even at max level you can't damage her worth ****.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2008, 01:45 AM   #55
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
squeek: I thought you approved of disgaea? that has 100% turn-based battles

also if Nebilim on Unknown takes you less than a full hour or two you have spent too much time stat leveling, but I assume you never tried that stupid battle. even at max level you can't damage her worth ****.
I beat it.

It wasn't hard.

I do approve of Disgaea, because even though it was turn-based, it had a real story. And you can't help but have turn-based combat in SRPGs.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #56
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Can someone explain to me in their own words what makes this game so great? What do you like about the battles? Graphics? Story? Gameplay? Sidequests? Development? Music? Other bells and whistles?
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #57
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO

Quote:
I beat it.

It wasn't hard.
Did you carry over Cores in the playthrough you beat it in? Because when I tried it with my max-level characters (without carried-over cores, though, this was only my second playthrough), they were doing less than 100 damage a hit, and there's no way you can take off over a million HP in less than an hour at that rate, especially with the plethora of dodging you're required to do.

Rubix: I wouldn't attempt to describe why I like Symphonia in terms of "this aspect is good, and so is this, and so is this", because that's not why I love it (although all those things are solid at least in both IMO)...hard to explain without typing up several paragraphs about it >_>

Quote:

Last edited by Shashakiro; 08-21-2008 at 10:03 AM..
Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #58
COTMFreak
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to COTMFreak Send a message via MSN to COTMFreak

Lol cool debates.

I'm gonna sit that one out and say that my party consisted of Lloyd, Kratos (Collette), Raine, and Genis. And I was usually controlling either Kratos or Collette.

In Tales of the Abyss I mostly used Luke, Tear, Anise, and Jade. I usually used Luke, but after the point were creating FOF were a lot easier, I used Jade. I swear, Tales of the Abyss made controller the magic caster a lot of fun.

Also: Level 75 and Hard mode equals the most fun I had on a final boss ever. I still have yet to clear Unknown mode. ;_;

Last edited by COTMFreak; 08-21-2008 at 11:02 AM..
COTMFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #59
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO

Unknown in TotA is a complete waste of time unless you use 10x EXP. On 1x you will never do more than 1 damage to any enemy and the first boss will take DAYS (literally).

I find it unfortunate that the higher difficulties raise the Defense stat--I'd have LOVED it if they just raised HP and damage output of all enemies, a la ToS. Raising the Defense stat makes it impossible for Unknown to be fun unless you use 10x, whereas without that it would be an insanely badass challenge.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #60
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
I've played FFI-VI and to be honest, IV and VI both had decent stories. The rest were simple and the only way I can really appreciate the other 4 games is if I compared them to games during their time.

Stories without plot twists aren't necessarily bad and in fact, they can be quite good sometimes.

And no, there are no plot twists. Just wacky plot-hole filled explanations for some of the wackier moments of the story.

~Tsugomaru
true but after playing ToS i was expecting something similar, but again i don't think the story of the game is bad, the characters surely make up for it.

and i do agree that those stories are great because they have big suprises here and there that make them interesting.

squeek don't waste your time with VI is obvious you will keep your mind closed and not even like it (example RE4), and doing that attack sequence is not what turn-based RPGs are all about, strategy is a huge thing of it as well.

like i said before i understand how can someone not like turn-based combat but that doesn't exactly make it bad, worthless and in need to be fixed.