Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-4-2009, 09:43 PM   #681
goffballz
FFR Player

Default Re: The PS3 Is Here.

Stopping BC kind of sucked, because of all the PS2 games I had and loved.

Chances of getting one wouldn't be slim to none, but it wouldn't be easy. Probably have to Ebay them, or find someone who doesn't enjoy PS.
But I'd think it would be more than the new models...but that should be obvious.
goffballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-5-2009, 06:22 AM   #682
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming_Dingleberry View Post
How much is the PS3 with backwards compatibility?
Your best bet is to find a pre owned PS3.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-5-2009, 07:17 AM   #683
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

Or, for the price difference ($100 price cut for the PS3) just get a PS2 as well.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I値l give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-6-2009, 01:11 AM   #684
goffballz
FFR Player

Eh Mal! Did you get it?
Old 10-6-2009, 07:27 AM   #685
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I thought the street date was tomorrow. Is it on shelves today? The whole street-date/ship-date thing confuses me sometimes.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I値l give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 10-6-2009, 01:22 PM   #686
goffballz
FFR Player

Not really sure. Thought when you said Twesday, you meant Tuesday. Maybe it's the uncertainty between Tuesday and Wednesday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
The whole street-date/ship-date thing confuses me sometimes.
Yeah, I usually gamefaq release dates. Not always accurate, but it gives me an idea of when to expect it.

On a side note, I saw more pictures today, read a little more on it. Starting to sound pretty good.
Old 10-6-2009, 01:23 PM   #687
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

GameStop let's me pick the game up if I have it reserved on the ship date instead of the street date, so I'll play it tonight.

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 10-6-2009, 01:53 PM   #688
goffballz
FFR Player

Haha niceee.

Once you get it, please, do share. ;]
Old 10-8-2009, 07:41 AM   #689
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Prelim eval of Demon's Souls:

Very, very, very pretty. The atmosphere is second to none, the hub world (called 'The Nexus') is haunting, scary, chilling. The Snape sound alike blacksmith is weird and I don't like him, but he repairs my equipment.

Quick story overview:

The Kingdom of Boletaria is seigred by a colorless, thick fog. Adventurers go in, and don't come out. The problem is, it's going to stop being local to Boletaria soon. It's spreading out, slowly. People killed are turned into demons! But you can reclaim their souls. The Old Nameless One (some of kind of big-bad-mamma-jama God or something) has been inadvertantly (or advertantly, don't know yet) summoned and he's the cause of the fog. Enter: You. You wack your way through the tutorial, and the tutorial ends, when you die. No joke. They stick you in a hallway with a boss that is 8 times bigger than your character, and you can either take a hit and die, or try to fight it. And die.

Get ready do that a lot. Try to fight, and die.

I've rage-quit out of the game 4-5 times already, and I've only played it for around 7 hours.

You see, when you die, you enter 'spirit form', which is just pretty fancy for saying that you have 1/2 a life bar. When you die, every soul that you've gained - which act as experience to level your dude up, or money to buy stuff for your dude - is dropped on the ground. If you can make it BACK to that point and touch your own bloodstain, you get your souls back. If you die before you reach that point, the souls that you got on your quest to get your souls back are dropped at the new location. Meaning you can go on a heater, parrying and slaying enemies and get around 2,000 souls, but then you're ambushed by a pack of wolves and you lose all of them. And then do poorly on the next run and end up dying by your spawn point, dropping 60 souls and that just makes you want to quit the game forever. FOREVER.

The game is hard. Very, very hard. At the beginning, even the sword fodder enemies can kill you in 2-3 solid hits. And the worst part is, you can't even upgrade your soldier until you're past 1-1. You have to go through the entire castle at whatever level you start at. And they purposely throw in level 30 enemies at some points, without warning. Why? Oh, just because. (I also managed to trap the level 30 guy and just pelt him with fire bombs until he died, which gave me 2,500 souls, which I subsequently lost falling off a cliff, and then trying to get back to that point, getting burned by a dragon).

Oh, and when you die, all the enemies respawn.

The only way to get your body back is to use a specific item, or kill a boss. There's a somewhat hidden item early in the game that extends your soul form life bar by around 30%, so it's not nearly as punishing.

So why play?

Because the feeling you get from doing stuff is SO rewarding. SO REWARDING. When I finally cleared 1-1, I was in awe. I didn't think I could have done it, but I can run through 1-1 to soul farm (getting pointless now, as there's only around 3,100 souls and upgrading Reynolds costs more than that) only using 1-2 healing items, because I miss timed my parry or rushed into a mob (even at a high level, guess what? This is a bad idea).

By reaching the boss of 2-1 (I really haven't made it far - you can't proceed to 1-3 until you kill an arch-demon, so this is my third level), I was overjoyed. Yes, I died at the boss, but navigating the mine - picking out the right weapons for the jobs, running and getting treasure amid flaming geckos (that can 1hk me sadtown), fighting fire-ball casting clowns that don't really seem susecptible to much... It's great.

The online is somewhat strange. Instead of being able to join a party, if you're in soul form, you can leave a message on the ground and someone can 'summon you' to help with their game. If you complete the stage with them, you get your body back.

There are also messages left on the ground, by players. Hitting select brings up a quick menu of phrases to string together, to leave hints to people that are just passing through for the first time, like "Run straight through," or "Beware of the ambush". If someone likes your comment, they can reccomend it, which fills your life bar up. Which is pretty great. Also, funny when you get to a boss arena and there's a dozen "I NEED HELP RECOMMEND THIS MESSAGE" messages.

And also, there are blood stains on the ground. If you touch them, you can see how the person that left them died.

Anyways, it's terrific fun, but you might break something. The game punishes you for being cocky, for thinking that you're better than it is, for fighting in a tiny hallway (I've had my sword bounce SO MANY TIMES) or by not minding your surrondings. 1-1, first time in, I was fighting demons, and I made it to a place with an archer. Killed him, killed the demons around him, and promptly fell into a well and died. Mind. Your. Surroundings.

I'd highly recommend it.

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 10-8-2009, 12:18 PM   #690
Flaming_Dingleberry
Everybody gets one.
FFR Veteran

Eek... can't wait, or rather, I can wait, and I will, for a while, crazy-ass game :/
Flaming_Dingleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-8-2009, 12:35 PM   #691
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Uncharted 2 soon. I am uber excited.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-8-2009, 04:25 PM   #692
goffballz
FFR Player

Wow Mal, whata share! You just fancied me for a rpg. Now, it's a hard decision between that or Kamari.

Never really played Uncharted, just the demo, but it was pretty fun. I love Naughty Dog, classic Crash games. I'm going to try to buy it, so I can get Uncharted 2, because it looks REALLY good.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #693
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Cleared Demon's Souls. Took 30 hours, I did the levels in the wrong order accidentally making the game WAY harder than it should have been, and played an almost strictly melee class (most guides online are for ranged people, and involve a lot of running away).

When you play the game, the proper order of things is 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 1-2, 2-2... etc. Each level has 3 areas except Level 1, which has 4, so that should be a tipping point that you should probably end on Level 1-4. But it was not a tipping point for me.

I played 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 1-3, 1-4, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 5-1, 5-2, 5-3.

1-4 has THE hardest boss in the game, but I managed to beat it with the help of another fellow I summoned into my game. I was wondering why 1-3, 1-4 were so goddamned hard. Turns out, you're supposed to play them later. Made everything past 3-1 kind of easier, though. All in all, most pleased. Might dabble with the game a little more later, who knows.

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #694
goffballz
FFR Player

But is it worth it? Because I'm either spending money on Katamari, which I know I'll love, or this. OR I could buy Uncharted and wait for Uncharted 2.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #695
OnixRose
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Hey guys, random semi off topic post, but I got my ps3 back up and my psn is the same as my ffr sn so add me if you want. I play lbp killzone 2, Resistance, etc.

MAG looks good eh?

1000% supporter of FFR character additions
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
FFR should implement a form of CAPTCHA that filters out not only spambots but also retards.
OnixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #696
goffballz
FFR Player

Hey Onix, we should play Killzone and LBP sometime.

But I won't be online until I go back to Texas, 14 days left. The connection here sucks. My psn is the same as my username, so you should add me.

Yes, MAG looks pretty good. But 30fps? Understandable with the whole 255 + you. Let's just hope it isn't all Counter-Strikey.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #697
Flaming_Dingleberry
Everybody gets one.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
Cleared Demon's Souls. Took 30 hours, I did the levels in the wrong order accidentally making the game WAY harder than it should have been, and played an almost strictly melee class (most guides online are for ranged people, and involve a lot of running away).

When you play the game, the proper order of things is 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 1-2, 2-2... etc. Each level has 3 areas except Level 1, which has 4, so that should be a tipping point that you should probably end on Level 1-4. But it was not a tipping point for me.

I played 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 1-3, 1-4, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 5-1, 5-2, 5-3.

1-4 has THE hardest boss in the game, but I managed to beat it with the help of another fellow I summoned into my game. I was wondering why 1-3, 1-4 were so goddamned hard. Turns out, you're supposed to play them later. Made everything past 3-1 kind of easier, though. All in all, most pleased. Might dabble with the game a little more later, who knows.
Lmao, I want this game.
Flaming_Dingleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #698
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ShAiOnEi Send a message via Yahoo to ShAiOnEi

Did you guys say uncharted 2?

Awesome game by the way. The box says since I haven't tried it yet that there will be 3 player coop for this. Sounds pretty cool but playing through by myself if is great in it's own. You won't be disappointed like every 10 seconds something amazing happens in this game but that's all I'm going to say I won't spoil this epic game.

Epic thread killer

Last edited by ShAiOnEi; 10-12-2009 at 02:45 AM..
ShAiOnEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #699
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Demon's Souls is highly recommended by me, and UC2 does have 3 player co-op. The Multiplayer demo they released has one level of that, and it's pretty sweet.

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #700
goffballz
FFR Player

Hmmm...

Then I plan on getting Demon's Souls and Uncharted and Uncharted 2 very soon.

Very, VERY soon. Okay...not that soon, but close.