Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #41
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces
Default Re: 2008 Presidential elections

Voting based on party lines is retarded. Voting based on the opinion of your parentals is retarded. How about we look at the issues first, k pumpkin? (not addressed to Andy, because I assume you look at all of the issues. If you don't, shame on you.)
Old 02-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #42
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

I see no problem voting party line. Well, when I don't know everything I can about the candidate, of course. Were there a democrat who agreed with me on every major issue, sure, I'd vote for him over a republican with whom I disagreed on a couple of issues.

But let's be real; that's not going to happen without a total paradigm shift in politics.

I pay enough attention to Presidential, Gubernatorial, and sometimes state elections, but who really knows all that they can about every candidate on that ballot? I don't, but I'm going to vote, anyway, and solely on party lines in those cases. Why? Because people who call themselves republicans or democrats or libertarians or what have you clearly think that they associate with that group. Those who associate with, say, republicans, are more likely to agree with me on issues.

It's either only vote for three people during election years (thus defeating the purpose of our election system), or vote along party lines. I choose the latter.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #43
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

Texas has a large republican population.

Being as this will be the first election I can vote in, I've been paying attention to it all. Personally, the idea of Obama being president excites me, but I do not know his standpoint on a lot of important issues; he's just a great orator. Clinton gets bad rep for voting for the war, and being perceived as "cold and calculating". I personally don't have anything against her, so I wouldn't mind voting for her if she gets the democratic nod. Guiliani was a joke up here in NY. Sure, he was mayor during 9/11, and therefore will be perceived as a hero or something. The Guiliani I remember was one of terrible tax reform, domestic violence, and gay association(I'm not against that). McCain would need a great campaign to get his publicity out there.

I realize it's rather early, but I'd like to hear some plans from Obama and Clinton each. It'd take a whole lot to have me vote Republican. *Note, I'm not anti-republican because of Iraq. I support the war, but maybe not the logistics of it.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #44
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter View Post
It's either only vote for three people during election years (thus defeating the purpose of our election system), or vote along party lines. I choose the latter.
So you're assuming anyone with a party affiliation should vote for the party regardless of who's running because the only other choice in your situation "beats the purpose of the election system?"
Old 02-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #45
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

That's not an assumption at all. I'm going to assume (u c wut i did ther) that that was just a poor choice of word...

And not exactly. What I do (note: everything I said is what I do isn't right for everyone out there, especially people who tend toward the middle.

Also, if you'll note, I really only suggest doing that for elections in which the voter doesn't really know much at all about any of the candidates. In that case, the only knowledge you have is that the republican candidate is more likely going to support republican ideals, the democrat democrat ideals, and anyone else. I, for example, really like republican ideals and dislike those of democrats, so I'm going to vote for the guy who's more likely to do things that I want, judged completely on party affiliation.

What's wrong with that?

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #46
Armadegon
FFR Player

I see all these people saying this is the first time they are going to be voting (meaning they are 16+) and I think "I wont be able to vote for like 4 years and yet I know a lot about the candidates." If you don't pay atention to current afairs you probably shouldn't be in CT
Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Cheesy Potatoes Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Cheesy Potatoes Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Cheesy Potatoes Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity
Armadegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #47
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

You won't be able to vote for a president for 5 years.

Trusting the media to get your knowledge about candidates is a bad idea. You'd be better off going to an actual visit from a candidate, and reading their own blogs (hooray internet).
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #48
talisman
Resident Penguin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to talisman

Blogs are media.

And it's kind of naive to expect that you'll learn everything you might want to know about a candidate just from what they say about themselves. Obviously candidates are going to represent themselves in what they feel is the most electable way, which may play into how the discuss their past actions. (That's a whole other argument: whether or not past actions are relevant to future ones in politicians).
talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:27 PM   #49
super kid
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to super kid Send a message via Yahoo to super kid

What does Hillary Clinton have to offer? We need a president that is going to deliver, and make the right decisions for this country. If thats what Clinton has to offer then she should be elected? I think this thread should talk about other candidates other O'bama and Clinton.
super kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:00 AM   #50
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

Don't say "I think this thread should talk about..."

TALK ABOUT IT! For god's sakes. I don't even know any of the other candidates, or if there are any. If you want a discussion, do some research and make comments. Someone's bound to reply.

Otherwise, it's likely you will never get the sort of discussion you're looking for.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #51
Armadegon
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tps222 View Post
You won't be able to vote for a president for 5 years.

Trusting the media to get your knowledge about candidates is a bad idea. You'd be better off going to an actual visit from a candidate, and reading their own blogs (hooray internet).
Prfectly good strategy of filtering the information you get:
1: Listen to CNN or another liberal biased media source
2: Listen to Fox News or another conservative media source
3: Read a large newspaper. No a tabloid does not count.
If you found the same thing in 2 or more it is probably true. If you realy want to know
4: Google it. if 2/3 of the top 10 results confirm what you found then it is almost certainly true.
Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Cheesy Potatoes Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Cheesy Potatoes Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Cheesy Potatoes Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity Insanity
Armadegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #52
das1ngerplayer
FFR Player

All I can say is I hope the candidates for the 2008 elections are actually good. People like Hillary, O'Bama, and McCain just to name a few would be very bad representatives, we'd be doomed if any of them became president. I'm a conservative republican by the way, and I'll be able to vote in the 2008 elections! Keep those pesky liberals out of office.

Last edited by das1ngerplayer; 02-21-2007 at 08:58 PM..
das1ngerplayer is offline   Reply With Quote