Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Tekzaport
FFR Player

Default Tekzaport's Gimmick Files

Hey guys, How's it going? I just decided to come along and join the forums up. My friend here Findarian referred me to here because I just started making gimmick files. I had him post here for me because I was unable to post on this account until today. So with that said I'll be updating this thread with my own gimmick files

What are gimmick files?
Gimmick Files are stepmania songs that include, BPM changes, Stops, Pauses, Course Mods and other sort of tools to make the song even more difficult. It also adds a new fun experience to playing DDR/Stepmania

How do I play the steps?
You must play the songs under marathon mode as it is a course file. Playing the song normally does not include the gimmick tools because the game mode doesn't allow it

My Stepmania Makes a Noise whenever an effect happens.
It's best to use Stepmania with a skin like ITG2 which disables the noise when a course change happens. These files are also playable in Stepmania 5 but is not recommended.

What stepmania version should I use?
3.95 with a skin that disables sounds in marathon mode

Do I play this on keyboard or on pad?
I make these files specifically for Pad, if there is a song that is nearly impossible to beat on pad, let me know and I'll tune down the difficulty of the steps

Here is the link to the original thread my friend posted for me http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=123116

If you have any feedback or criticism please let me know. Anything to help me create better gimmicks. I hope you guys like it

Quote:
3-19-12
Chrispy - Brutal
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XElJU8mbUk
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?9ft75d9c6yxxi6k

3-20-12
Dubba Jonny - Dubstep VIP Tutorial v2.1 (3-21-12)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZydZadoAf0
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?lfl2pi51o4ez3ud
Changes
Quote:
Dubstep VIP Tutorial
  • Changed default xmod from 3 down to 2
  • There was an unreadible part in the song, tuned down the mod at that part to make it readible

Last edited by Tekzaport; 03-21-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Tekzaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Tekzaport
FFR Player

Default Re: Tekzaport's Gimmick Files

New song!

Quote:
Dubba Jonny - Dubstep VIP Tutorial
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZydZadoAf0
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?q20vs4myo9rbmf4
Old 03-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

No, please do not delete or lock that other thread. The other thread was for "Gimmick Files" just in general. This one is for your own creations.

If the other one were for just your gimmick files exclusively it would have been labeled as such.

Welcome to FFR by the way
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Tekzaport
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameGoesHere View Post
No, please do not delete or lock that other thread. The other thread was for "Gimmick Files" just in general. This one is for your own creations.

If the other one were for just your gimmick files exclusively it would have been labeled as such.

Welcome to FFR by the way
Yeah... Findarian, My friend didn't get the memo. I wanted to have him change the title.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Well, sorry. :-/ I took it (and I'm sure others did too) to be a general discussion of gimmick files, just in general.

You can use this thread for discussing your files and the other can be for general gimmick files.

Also, no hard feelings I hope.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
Tekzaport
FFR Player

Quote:
Well, sorry. :-/ I took it (and I'm sure others did too) to be a general discussion of gimmick files, just in general.

You can use this thread for discussing your files and the other can be for general gimmick files.

Also, no hard feelings I hope.
Yeah I read your post as well as others about gimmick files. I mean everyone has their own taste in how they look at it. Unfortunately I was unable to give you that satisfaction with my work ): is there anything you can give me to help me become a better gimmick file maker?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzaport View Post
Yeah I read your post as well as others about gimmick files. I mean everyone has their own taste in how they look at it. Unfortunately I was unable to give you that satisfaction with my work ): is there anything you can give me to help me become a better gimmick file maker?
Well, it's a lot of personal preference you must understand. I'd say keep gimmicks to a minimum or to certain emphasized portions of the chart (say, when there's a major change of direction in the music). Also I'd stick with just speed up/speed down, stops, disappearing/reappearing arrows/mines, mines-to-arrows/arrows-to-mines, and rolls.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
Tekzaport
FFR Player

Quote:
Well, it's a lot of personal preference you must understand. I'd say keep gimmicks to a minimum or to certain emphasized portions of the chart (say, when there's a major change of direction in the music). Also I'd stick with just speed up/speed down, stops, disappearing/reappearing arrows/mines, mines-to-arrows/arrows-to-mines, and rolls.
Yeah definitely, I guess simpler is more. This is my first time making gimmicks so bear with me. I do plan on doing speed up/speed down, stops, disappearing/reappearing arrows/mines, mines-to-arrows/arrows-to-mines, and rolls in the future. Although like you said. Some of them won't work unless its Stepmania 3.9 nothing older or newer.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzaport View Post
Yeah definitely, I guess simpler is more. This is my first time making gimmicks so bear with me. I do plan on doing speed up/speed down, stops, disappearing/reappearing arrows/mines, mines-to-arrows/arrows-to-mines, and rolls in the future. Although like you said. Some of them won't work unless its Stepmania 3.9 nothing older or newer.
Yes, unfortunately. And you'll need to figure out how to do the tricks by examining existing files that used them since they kind of rely on glitching stepmania itself. Not something builtin to Stepmania.

And do continue your work and have fun. The most important thing is that you enjoy what you're doing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
Tekzaport
FFR Player

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately. And you'll need to figure out how to do the tricks by examining existing files that used them since they kind of rely on glitching stepmania itself. Not something builtin to Stepmania.

And do continue your work and have fun. The most important thing is that you enjoy what you're doing.
Oh yeah these are fun to make, very time consuming but worth it once you see your work in the end. Do you make Gimmick Songs?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Nope, I haven't. I've not really tried my hand at the whole stepping side of things. I might at some point though. Only thing I've ever stepped is a song I made a long time ago, just as a first try kind of thing. That stepchart probably doesn't even exist anymore since I never uploaded it anywhere and I've lost a lot of older data.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-21-2012, 03:55 AM   #12
FrozenAngel91
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to FrozenAngel91

Just wanted to tell you, since I don't think anyone has mentioned this to you yet, the one problem I have with your files is not that you overdid the gimmicks, it looks cool and I don't mind if you go crazy with the gimmicks. The problem is that the file needs to be readable, and not once you memorize it you can read it, but like ability to sightread and do well sort of read it. That was what made Windeu's files so great, no matter how crazy it got all it took was good reaction times to do it on your first try, and you felt awesome for doing it.

So that's all I have to say I guess, the gimmicks you're using do really look cool you definitely have that down, you should just make sure that your gimmicks don't make it so you can't possibly have read the file on your first try so that no one has to spend hours memorizing the file or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findarian
get a sand hack and don't chicken scratch it and if someone does something stupid hack burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannytwobyfore
I wouldn't blame them, playing jump dense Konami files in DDR would make anyone's dick hard, maybe that's why the only thing anyone does anymore is stream.
FrozenAngel91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
Tekzaport
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel91 View Post
Just wanted to tell you, since I don't think anyone has mentioned this to you yet, the one problem I have with your files is not that you overdid the gimmicks, it looks cool and I don't mind if you go crazy with the gimmicks. The problem is that the file needs to be readable, and not once you memorize it you can read it, but like ability to sightread and do well sort of read it. That was what made Windeu's files so great, no matter how crazy it got all it took was good reaction times to do it on your first try, and you felt awesome for doing it.

So that's all I have to say I guess, the gimmicks you're using do really look cool you definitely have that down, you should just make sure that your gimmicks don't make it so you can't possibly have read the file on your first try so that no one has to spend hours memorizing the file or something.
Yeah man, this is my first time doing this and I've looked at WinDEU's gimmicks over again, so I'm gonna try to tune my future songs down.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
Tekzaport
FFR Player

I think I did a pretty good job making the gimmicks go well along with the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZydZadoAf0

although I did sacrifice redibility
Old 03-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
t-rogdor
tane orb
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

these files are actually really, REALLY cool, but it blows that you had to use coursemods for this.

i'm working on figuring out how to do effects like this in the sm5 editor since it lets you add effects with in-program options. only problem at the moment is not being able to change the % effect numbers.

also maybe it's just that i've been working with xmods lately but reading both of those files was pretty easy
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.

Last edited by t-rogdor; 03-21-2012 at 01:31 PM..
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Tekzaport
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
these files are actually really, REALLY cool, but it blows that you had to use coursemods for this.

i'm working on figuring out how to do effects like this in the sm5 editor since it lets you add effects with in-program options. only problem at the moment is not being able to change the % effect numbers.
Yeah man, for me, coursemods are the only way to do things right now
Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
Tekzaport
FFR Player

Changed a few things with a song

Quote:
Dubstep VIP Tutorial
  • Changed default xmod from 3 down to 2
  • There was an unreadible part in the song, tuned down the mod at that part to make it readible
Old 03-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

can't you do those mods in sm5 without courses now anyways? or are there still certain mods that don't apply to that
Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #19
t-rogdor
tane orb
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

in SM5 you can apply mods but, as far as i can tell, you can't change the percent of the effect, and that's kind of key to making mods like that
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #20
Jousway
FFR Player

last time I check you could do it in sm5 without courses, I could be wrong tough

Jousway is offline   Reply With Quote