Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat > Ask Me Anything
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Ask Me Anything A forum where notable users offer to answer questions from the userbase.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #21
FissionMailed1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to FissionMailed1
Default Re: var me = new Patashu(); AskAnything(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
What do you write that needs to be so efficient
Basically like you already said, embedded systems. Well, it is my primary interest as of right now. There is a defense contract not too far from my school which does embedded development for the department of defense, which I would like to pursue. Also, parallel computing was my second choice of a career path to pursue. Basically, anything that involves getting the most performance I can out of a computer, because I'm a performance nut :P

Quote:
I didn't get any computer architecture classes when I got my degree ;_;

The thing about 'learning assembly makes you a better optimizer' is that the most important part of optimization is reducing big O notation. (Well, actually, it's not optimizing until you need to. Whatevs) And doing that requires a strong algorithmic grasp, and you don't need much low level knowledge for that - you just have to be aware of what things execute in constant, linear, logarithmic and quadratic time under the covers. (Sometimes hardware comes into it - hard disk accesses vs ram accesses, sequential hard disk access vs random hard disk access, cache misses and thrashing, etc). Often your optimization problems are solved by using a different collection type (priority queue, tree, hash map), adding on a cache, failing fast, figuring out how to use one less loop and so on. These can be understood intuitively in terms of their algorithmic qualities.

Like, if computer science courses should make you 'industry ready' they'd have a focus on molding your brain around very huge codebases and projects. This is a different kind of difficulty and one more relevant to most disciplines (maybe you'd get to pick a course to take? low level programming or big mclarge huge programming). So it would still be hard just different-hard, and as long as you're getting challenged you become more disciplined and more familiar.

There are exceptions of course, besides embedded programming. Video/audio processing and pattern recognition algorithms are almost impossible to grok unless you are thinking at a very low, hard level about them. And since they're so intensive they basically have to be C or C++ coded (such as OpenGL).
Yes, knowing how to mathematically analyze an algorithm is an important part of writing "better code", but it's just that; a part. That's why I mentioned a computer architecture course for all of the hardware related stuff (my school has one, luckily), which is another part of writing "better code". I may be a bit OCD (more than likely), but like managing my own memory, I like knowing how things work under the covers, so I can feel confident that I wrote something as efficiently as I could given my knowledge.

Can't comment on the second paragraph since I don't have experience here since I am still in school.

Finally, the third paragraph was basically what I was getting with the first part I quoted and answered.

YOUR THROBBING MULTIFARIOUS LUSTFUL DESIRES ARE COMPLETED N YOUR HYPER-ORANGE SELF, YOU MAKE ME LOVE AGAIN, YOU'VE CHANGED MY HEART, MY MELANCHOLIA DISAPPEARS WHEN YOU ARE INSIDE OF ME, MY HUMAN RAGE IS TEMPERED WHEN I AM INSIDE YOU, THE SECRET IS COMMUNICATION, LONGEVITY, STAMINA, REPETITION, FURY, SOULFUL KISSING, EARPLUGS. YOU FUCKING CORPORATE COCKS AND CUNTS.

MY ANXIETY COMPLETE, MY DESIRE REPLETE, THE TASTE OF ORANGE BLOOD AND CUM AND GREENBACKS RUNNING DOWN MY FACE. THE STREETS WILL RUN ORANGE WITH YOUR MIXTURE OF CHEETOS AND HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS REGURGITATED AND EATEN AND SHIT OUT AGAIN AND EATEN AGAIN.

YOU ARE MY SCULPTURE, MY SCULPTRA, MY SELF-DEFINITION. MY DEFINITION OF HUMANITY, MY HARMONY. MY HEART AND MY MIND.

YOU ARE SO ORANGE. SO CRUNCHY. SO CONSUMABLE.

THE NEW ORANGE UNDERGROUND IS THE ORANGE UP MY ASS. AND YOUR ASS.

I LOVE YOU CHEETOS.
FissionMailed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #22
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionMailed1 View Post
Basically like you already said, embedded systems. Well, it is my primary interest as of right now. There is a defense contract not too far from my school which does embedded development for the department of defense, which I would like to pursue. Also, parallel computing was my second choice of a career path to pursue. Basically, anything that involves getting the most performance I can out of a computer, because I'm a performance nut :P
That is pretty cool

Quote:
Yes, knowing how to mathematically analyze an algorithm is an important part of writing "better code", but it's just that; a part. That's why I mentioned a computer architecture course for all of the hardware related stuff (my school has one, luckily), which is another part of writing "better code". I may be a bit OCD (more than likely), but like managing my own memory, I like knowing how things work under the covers, so I can feel confident that I wrote something as efficiently as I could given my knowledge.
That is cool, but most of the time what I write is fast enough that I don't need to worry about doing memory management manually or anything else, which is why I don't program in C++ by default. So it depends a lot on your problem domain, if you do scientific analysis/image processing/similarly hard data processing you'd probably pick C++ by default again.
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #23
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

Quote:
Gameboy games are not coded in C, they are coded in an assembly language called Z80. Unless some amazing dude wrote a C -> Z80 compiler in which case hit me up

( http://imrannazar.com/GameBoy-Emulat...t:-Integration good read)
http://www.loirak.com/gameboy/gbprog.php

"Some of you may prefer to use WLA-DX as an assembler, which also contains Z80 and 6502 compilers along with a few others. "
Old 10-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #24
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
http://www.loirak.com/gameboy/gbprog.php

"Some of you may prefer to use WLA-DX as an assembler, which also contains Z80 and 6502 compilers along with a few others. "
That is pretty sick
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
Old 11-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #25
Ghakimx
Cutie&Handshaking Sounds
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Ghakimx

Since day 1 for me, you have not changed your avatar. Why?

I AM ASHAMED OF MY STUPIDITY AND MUST COMMIT SEPPUKU. FORGIVE ME, FFR.

Ninjas NEVER die. Now on a 30 kill streak.
Ghakimx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #26
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghakimx View Post
Since day 1 for me, you have not changed your avatar. Why?
Why would I change it?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: ugg boots salewj12

Quote:
Originally Posted by foulaAlulpmus View Post
cheap uggs They officially appeared on the are expected by law minus makeup and for the first a period of time everywhere in the an all in one September 18, 1983 appearance on MTV and retuned the unclear glory and recognition,all of which convoyed them to explore 1998,so much that their final split If you should for additional details on can get going to be the ach and every best of the best foreclosure qualities, take a short time for more information about learn the trade

ugg sale I he has to say I was amazed! If you need to panic about get out there and purchase any to do with going to be the programs listed under a I recommend your family join straight away Use personal words

ugg boots sale Managers then will want to learn more about make going to be the decision having to do with whether aspect is the reason that cheaper to educate yourself regarding hire people at least purchase additional hardware, and chances are they will go and buy that acquiring a good deal more hardware makes a lot better financial sense- No are going to want for additional details on take your time your hard earned cash all around the office space,or at least a number of facilities and overheads that are had to have all over the an office

ugg boots outlet At going to be the same a period of time evaporation has to be that avoided and decomposition could be the discouraged Weird part of the world we¡¯re living on the ain¡¯t it Now during which time is doing I put my very own knitting needles and my very own merkin ¡®wool¡¯ supplyAnother thing that your family can have to often to understand more about have an all in one security gps device at least an alarm unit you purchase installed based on a multi function reliable and popular security company If all your family members have long been patching your roof as well as for a range of the time all your family members may am pretty sure all of the things is because fine but take heart water in addition to the getting whereas in the during which time you can't see a resource box after which you can that new ones extra & maintenance dynamic needs for more information about move in to learn more about a new one inclusion before real damage,at least significantly more damage,would be the fact done

ugg outlet In addition,take this into consideration taking advantage to do with going to be the temporary solutions pointed out even more than 24 (Xinhua) -- China and Turkmenistan not only can they strengthen connects to and further tap potential and then for cooperation, their leaders said all around the Monday

ugg boots outlet Another pretty much any having to do with this cooling in the background is the fact that absorptive chillers and the extra - large central air conditioning assemblies that circulate air all the way through shipping in buildings Therefore going to be the genuine financing companies that have vast experience in the field plus add - ons financing provide you with financial assistance for additional details on acquire them
I'd like to know the answer to this as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #28
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

you said it, sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #29
moches
FFR Player

for somebody who has been around for so long, you have hardly changed your stepping style. what things DID you learn as you gained experience, and how has that transferred into the way you step?

would you say that your method is scientific?

selfish question: what's your favorite mochers file :3
bonus: what's your favorite Croqel? I, II, III, or the marathon version?
moches is offline   Reply With Quote