Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Writing and Literature
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Forlorn Radiance
Is Awesome
FFR Veteran

Default Novel synopsis for my website

My website is going live in a couple of weeks for a novel I have been working on. The front page will have a synopsis of my work on it. Right now it is rather short. Any advice on writing style, content, etc would be appreciated, so that it looks professional on my front page.

Set in the near future, a new online game, Eden, has hit the market. Mind Soft Corporation promises their new project to be a true utopia and refuge for mankind; where our dreams and ambitions can become reality.

What starts as virtual reality takes root and becomes something more-a parallel universe. With a parasitic hold on the real world, these two separate planes of existence collide in a struggle of addiction and autonomy as the real world falls into poverty due to an undermanned workforce. Degenerates from around the globe shape Eden in their own image, creating strife in the conflicting ideas of social structure, sexuality, religion, and politics.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973
Default Re: Novel synopsis for my website

sounds like something i want to read
Old 02-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Forlorn Radiance
Is Awesome
FFR Veteran

Thanks for the support who_cares973. I've been working hard on this for a while now.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

have an eta or is a couple weeks all you can say?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Forlorn Radiance
Is Awesome
FFR Veteran

Depends when my webmaster gets a new harddrive to put the site up live. I'll give updates when it happens, but everything is at a standstill for the moment.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

I like the synopsis a lot. As to whether I'd like the novel, well, I'll just have to see.

Question: Why are you posting it to a website? Are you actually publishing to the website such that you're going to get money or anything? Why not publish it the old-fashioned way, and you could seel e-versions of it?
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
zolaric
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

A story of that magnitude deserves a novel of comparable length. Too short a book will lack the necessary character and world development to make this an excellent book. Otherwise, really cool story you are working on. I'll definitely read it if it's long.
zolaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
PlayTrumpet
Lamingtons.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolaric View Post
A story of that magnitude deserves a novel of comparable length. Too short a book will lack the necessary character and world development to make this an excellent book. Otherwise, really cool story you are working on. I'll definitely read it if it's long.
This.

I would be amazed and proud (despite not knowing you) if you truly made this into a full length, well-written, revised and published novel - the synopsis appeals well to a good demographic. I don't know your background, so I may be overreaching, but I do look forward to whatever it is you're going to post.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Well now nothing to do with the OP now, but why does something have to be a full-lenghth novel to work out? The synopsis is just the setting...we have no idea who the characters are or what they are doing, or why this would need to be 'long'. Have you never read a good short story before? What about a novel that's only 20 000 words long? Some of the classics, like Catcher in the Rye for instance, is hardly novel length by todays standards.
Something that seems comparable to his setting, like Farenheit 451 (or whatever the number is) is based on a dystopic future, is well written (well I like it and the critics like it), but is quite short.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
sakura080789
Rapture Universe
FFR Veteran

this seems awesome i want to read it
Old 05-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
Treia
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forlorn Radiance View Post
What starts as virtual reality takes root and becomes something more-a parallel universe. With a parasitic hold on the real world, these two separate planes of existence collide in a struggle of addiction and autonomy as the real world falls into poverty due to an undermanned workforce. Degenerates from around the globe shape Eden in their own image, creating strife in the conflicting ideas of social structure, sexuality, religion, and politics.
You had me at "Hello,"

Well, not really, but still

Last edited by Treia; 05-20-2011 at 07:06 PM..
Treia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

U Die In The Game.....U Die In Real Life....
Old 05-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #13
Treia
FFR Player

I agree with zolaric. Considering the variety settings and scope of subject matter to be covered, it's hard to imagine this one without the length to contain meaningful character/world development, and character arcs.

But I also agree with Cavernio. There's no need for this to be a full length novel for it to be a rewarding read. All Quiet on the Western Front, and The Old Man and the Sea were relatively short novels that were fantastic, and I wouldn't wish for them to be any longer. Why? Because it all comes down to storytelling. How a story is told. Effective story telling is more important than format because effective storytelling in either format is needed for it to be enjoying, and gives us the sense of a journey when finished. So really, we just have to wait and see what Forlorn Radiance has in mind for the format, and see if his way of telling the story create the experience we're eager for.

Last edited by Treia; 05-21-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Treia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #14
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Well now we're putting too much pressure on him...his novel just has to be awesome!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #15
zolaric
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Okay, I admit that I simply prefer really long books. I can become attached to the characters. Cavernio's right, of course; this would also make an interesting short story (but it would be short...).
zolaric is offline   Reply With Quote