Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk > Bug Reports and Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-3-2009, 11:49 AM   #101
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999
Default Re: 6 Key FFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot View Post
as i've told stargroup before... i have nothing against a 6-key mode. it's just slightly more complicated than just suggesting it. it has to be coded, you have to have a large number of quality files of all difficulties ready to go for initial launch...

and while you guys might all have a large interest in this, you guys are all the "hardcore" users of the site. think about when you had been playing FFR/SM for only a few weeks, or if you were barely able to pass VD or C files (or worse). something even harder would completely scare you away and you'd never touch it. 6-key is a novelty for those who have already mastered 4-key (or feel that they've reached a large plateau that will take a long time to hurdle).

so where does that leave us? for now, we'll be focusing on improving the current game, and fixing bugs around the site. should all of those get knocked out (and nothing new come up), then it will become time to consider adding new things.
well maybe 6 key can be an unlock for like a vd AAA on 4 key or something so you wouldn't even be allowed to play it when you are a noob...just an idea. That way it can be like a "challenge mode" that isn't open to everyone. That would only make the new people want to get better to see what 6 key is all about.
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 11:49 AM   #102
LongGone
-
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot View Post
6-key is a novelty for those who have already mastered 4-key (or feel that they've reached a large plateau that will take a long time to hurdle).
Sorry I have to disagree with this. There are many music game which utilises anywhere from 5~8 keys on the kb, and they proved to be quite popular.

FFR already has a huge database of songs (which is a good thing), and songs can be stepped based on current 4k charts (rhythm/sync is all done; now its about rearranging the notes to fit in 6 panels). Not to mention there's more freedom of stepping charts as now stepartists have more room to play with as mentioned by others. This allows more unique charts which I believe, gives replay value to the game; arguably 4k can only go so far till it gets repetitive, and will probably reach a creativity standstill before 6k does (well in theory anyway)

Arguably too, 6k will allow a wider range of difficulty for songs without them just being a mindless mess of notes; songs in 6k have more variety of being "hard" in their own way. Say, bracketing, or having minijacks, chordstream, etc. etc. (basically elaborating on the previous point)

Some may disagree, but holds/freezes can be implemented in 6k too (as they would seem quite appropriate in 6k). This adds into the stepartists arsenal of tools for more unique stepcharts and giving a different twist to FFR

As much as I understand how coding/etc. may be difficult (I can't code to save my life), I hope that at least some consideration be taken into implementing this, or at least whipping up a simple beta and just a couple of songs that current users can play with before releasing to the public. Who knows how it may turn out Let the community judge the preliminary testing of the concept, and they would decide whether it's a plausible add-on to FFR. To add on to this, the huge number of users on this site are probably more inclined into 4k gameplay, 6k may be new to them and they are all on even ground. Give them the game to play around with; Healthy competition will arise and eventually more people will be into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
people age at a rate of about 1 year per year

Last edited by LongGone; 08-3-2009 at 12:28 PM..
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 12:29 PM   #103
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

There isn't any reason to argue it. Synthlight would never code it and tass would never do anymore work then he has to.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 12:40 PM   #104
NSane
Retired Staff
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
There isn't any reason to argue it. Synthlight would never code it and tass would never do anymore work then he has to.
You do realize I can pretty much do the entire thing.. as far as the game is concerned.

Highest Hearthstone Rank: Legend
Lannix#1632 @ Americas
NSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 12:45 PM   #105
Izzy
Snek

Just take the source code of ffr and develop your own. FFR development is otherwise dead.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 12:48 PM   #106
NSane
Retired Staff
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Just take the source code of ffr and develop your own. FFR development is otherwise dead.
I know, as mentioned earlier I am the current flash developer for the FFR game. I have been developing things for it if you'd of checked my update log you'd of seen FFR is still alive and well.

Highest Hearthstone Rank: Legend
Lannix#1632 @ Americas
NSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 12:52 PM   #107
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

I'd actually have to play some solo to know if I'd like this or not. But hey if it means more fun then why wouldn't I say hell yes?
Sure why not, I support.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 12:54 PM   #108
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSane View Post
I know, as mentioned earlier I am the current flash developer for the FFR game. I have been developing things for it if you'd of checked my update log you'd of seen FFR is still alive and well.
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 05:16 PM   #109
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

6 key's only a novelty if people are jerky jerks and make only VCs for solo
which they probably won't since people prefer to make charts that they enjoy playing and it is a well known fact that YOU (yes you) suck at solo
also if we got a different chart classification scheme that allows us to have multiple charts on the one mp3 there would be encouragement to add lots of difficulties to a song
I would be more then happy to contribute with charts btw
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 05:39 PM   #110
bluguerrilla
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bluguerrilla

I'd step easy ass songs for solo.

I couldn't produce anything above an 8 at this point that would be fun, I think.
Old 08-3-2009, 07:09 PM   #111
stargroup
FFR Player

ugh, FAQ update

tass there are so many things wrong in your statements. first of all, 6 key is not necessarily a turn-off for new players, and since nsane is doing most of the coding just leave it to him. as long as we get this coded I can take care of the simfile issues. just leave it to us. all we need is your approval, nothing else

Last edited by stargroup; 08-3-2009 at 07:17 PM..
stargroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 07:12 PM   #112
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Hows about an 8 key?.....just kidding.

I like the idea. Supporter still.
Old 08-3-2009, 08:37 PM   #113
Oubliette
FFR Player

I can't believe I missed this thread. I support this idea, pretty much because 4 keys has gotten boring to me.

And the last time I checked, I believe .dwi supports 6 keys.
Oubliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 09:43 PM   #114
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

mrrubix's convertor (I assume) can handle recording millisecond positions and can probably be changed to handle any other note type that you can put in a sm, so you could do things like having the option of including mines in the future or of setting it up so that arrows that occur very close to the edge of a frame (like within a quarter of the frame's duration) have a 'skewed' timing window that includes the frames around both the frame it IS in and the frame it almost was in
edit: seriously I want that btw
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 10:17 PM   #115
Ice wolf
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Supporting this idea for a second time.

^Way better than 25thhour's link. You know you want to sign up.

The best noteskin ever: Skittles

Are you having trouble syncing your files? Use DDReamStudio.

Ice wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 10:43 PM   #116
MikeShinoda12345
*\(^o^)/*
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaounlimited View Post
Then maybe some changes also need to be made to the staff roster.
+10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
mrrubix's convertor (I assume) can handle recording millisecond positions and can probably be changed to handle any other note type that you can put in a sm, so you could do things like having the option of including mines in the future or of setting it up so that arrows that occur very close to the edge of a frame (like within a quarter of the frame's duration) have a 'skewed' timing window that includes the frames around both the frame it IS in and the frame it almost was in
edit: seriously I want that btw
Uh oh. I'm used to hitting early, because I play ffr wayyyyyyy more than a play sm and that would mean that I would need to change my habit of hitting arrows early, which I don't really want to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awein999 View Post
well maybe 6 key can be an unlock
If 6 key is ever implemented, +1

+1 for solo, too, but then hands and quads would be promoted, and since this keyboard can't handle them, it would a pain for me.
MikeShinoda12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 11:02 PM   #117
stargroup
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by awein999 View Post
well maybe 6 key can be an unlock for like a vd AAA on 4 key or something so you wouldn't even be allowed to play it when you are a noob...just an idea. That way it can be like a "challenge mode" that isn't open to everyone. That would only make the new people want to get better to see what 6 key is all about.
very bad idea

6 key is a completely different game in itself. making the accomplishment would eliminate the point of easy files and would be actually be a turn-off for many of the 6 key players here who are already bored of 4 key. besides, there is no fitting achievement/unlock you can make that is really fair, since no accomplishment would have a reward with the magnitude of unlocking a whole completely different game system
Old 08-3-2009, 11:08 PM   #118
virus003
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to virus003

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post
Hows about an 8 key?
lol leonid
anyways, it's a good idea, but it won't happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by XUioX View Post
too hard and too long.. the rest of it was easy though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundb0x View Post
i still have photos of my dad dickfeeding me when i was like 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
stop back seat modding its annoying

Last edited by virus003; 08-4-2009 at 12:37 AM..
virus003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 11:19 PM   #119
Exag0n
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Exag0n

Sup guys.

As someone who has quit FFR and SM for over a year to play IIDX instead, I find it rather sad that FFR hasn't progressed significantly in quality since last I played. 6-Key is genuinely a good suggestion, and anyone who thinks there are legitimate concerns apart from logistics is frankly misguided. 6-Key will be too hard? Oh boo-hoo. 4-Key only has a certain limit of difficulty before charts become nothing more than disgusting clusterf***s of jacks and rhythms that don't even nearly fit the music. Why do you think there's so much support for a totally new method of playing FFR? It's because FFR is stale and probably cannot progress much further than it already has. That's not to say that FFR is bad, by any means; in fact, it is a very well-designed and supported game, not only by the staff but the community. But that doesn't mean that there's much you can do to improve gameplay. The meat of FFR is finished in its development.

I understand that producing 6-Key would be a lot of work. What I don't understand is why there is such resistance even to the idea. Don't try to come up with excuses about how new players will be scared away. That's probably the weakest argument I've heard ever in my life. Yes, let's limit development in what could potentially be a great new way to play FFR and to expand what is essentially a finished game.

I don't expect 6-Key to ever happen, because I'm realistic. But FFR is never going to get anywhere if great new ideas like this are always met with scepticism.

StepMania Solo Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knZa5V0DiDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c3Vq7JraNc

SORO OWNLY, NO SINGALZ
C650, REVERSE, Note+
Exag0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2009, 11:31 PM   #120
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

Quote: