Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-7-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
Zakard
FFR Player

Default how you guys do....

i started playing this game, its been about a week and damn...this is hard.i made my way up to song lvl 10-12 and now its getting insane.

im still lvl 0, i tried to do the easiest song AAA to get my lvl up but im unable to. the best i did was 1 song blackflag. i got a few fc-sdg but i always screw up...

i can progress lvl 10+ but i miss a lot. the key combinason start to be WAY harder and WAY faster. i feel like im just bad at this (i never been fast at anything to be honest) . i seem unable to think and see the arrow fast enought to have the time to actualy do it...i know everyone will tell me to pratice again and again but still. i saw some lvl50+ and it just mind blow me how can someone do that. seem unreal to me.i will keep practicing but i feel like this game might not be for everyone, atleast for me lol. still fun

Last edited by Zakard; 01-7-2018 at 02:14 PM..
Zakard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: how you guys do....

What speedmod are you using ?
Do you play with both hands?
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
Pizza69
Simfile Judge
Simfile JudgeDifficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

after about a week, that's totally normal!! this game takes a really long time to get good at. i'm level 91, but i've been playing for over 4 years. you're right though, it is pretty much just practice. as long as you're enjoying it, the game is for you - don't focus on your skill relative to others, focus on your own improvement. imo that's more fun and more productive to getting better.
Old 01-7-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Zakard
FFR Player

im at 1.5 speed (seem like the standard speed. game was set at this). i did try at 1 but since im used at 1.5 now, i had trouble to hit perfect-amazing since my speed was off.i might try to put it back at 1 and adjust myself.

yes i do play with 2 hands. as-kl
Old 01-7-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
Hakulyte
the Haku

Did you try 1.75~2.0 range? You may have an easier time reacting over anticipating patterns.
Old 01-7-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
MrPoptart
Steam Id: MstrPoptart
FFR Veteran

The difficulty curve in this game is a Fibonacci spiral, you say you've seen some lv50+s, well I am lv50 and I'm considered to be low division 3, that's 3 out of 7. If you look at most good players here most of them have been around 5+ years, and the ones that haven't are coming from other DDR style games and have probably been playing for about as long. I started with FFR almost 13 years ago, while I haven't been the most active, I still have no idea no idea how people get as good as they do.

My point being: you're not alone. This game is hard, especially for beginners.

Last edited by MrPoptart; 01-7-2018 at 03:35 PM..
MrPoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
Zakard
FFR Player

ok i just tryed 1.75 and 2. 2 is to fast but i seem to do better at 1.75 wich seem strange. my timing is a bit better. i did a few song and scored higther in almost all of them. when it get crazy well....the speed is worst so it might work for easier song but harder if i wasnt able to keep up, it wont helpt. il try to play around 1.5 and 1.75. will see.thx

edit:yea im completly new to this type of game. it never really interested me but after trying it, the sence of progression is quite fun and addictive. i just dont have enought practice i guess but so far for me, when i see some hight rank play, it seem unreal lol

Last edited by Zakard; 01-7-2018 at 03:36 PM..
Old 01-7-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
Hakulyte
the Haku

Just read arrows one by one on lvl1-10 difficulty songs. It's going to be helpful later on when complicated patterns will mix up awkward notes.

Get used to the timing window and try to figure out what works best for you to maintain accuracy. If you can AAA something, that pretty much means you're faster than the song and have enough control to master it. It's not a necessity to be able to play the harder songs, but if there's such a thing as "max score", that would be it.

After that point, you want to try to read notes in groups of 2-4 notes at a time and pay attention at if the space between each note is consistent or not. After enough practice, you should be able to hit multiple patterns naturally without thinking about it. That's muscle memory. If the space between each note isn't consistent, you may want to examine the patterns more closely and try to figure out a way to hit it right.

After that point, it's rinse and repeat with faster speeds and working on finding faster ways to do the same thing.

Playing with a good keyboard, adjusting settings for ideal play and practicing should eventually get you somewhere assuming you play with the intent to learn and challenge yourself with goals.
Old 01-8-2018, 02:39 PM   #9
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

You are playing right now with absolutely no muscle memory or pattern recognition. The only way to build these critical skills is repetition and time. When you look at the level 50ish files and see an incomprehensible flurry of arrows, that's because you haven't yet formed the pattern recognition to read them, nor the muscle memory to hit them. It's not until the mid-60s in difficulty that the charts actually require considerable physical conditioning to perform well on (your forearms will start to burn when you make it to this difficulty range).

As MrPoptart said, players like myself, Haku, and Pizza have spent years honing these skills to reach the level of play that we're at, but don't be dissuaded, since it is easier to learn to play this game now than it has ever been before, and the skills required to hit that level 50 mark develop very quickly. The major roadblock is the physical conditioning aspect (the muscles involved in gameplay are too weak to hit patterns you may recognize and have the muscle memory for, but at much quicker speeds).

Just keep at it and you'll be crushing those 50's in no time.

If you'd like a jumpstart on patterning, check out this sticky: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=115282

Last edited by rushyrulz; 01-8-2018 at 02:40 PM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2018, 03:22 PM   #10
MrPoptart
Steam Id: MstrPoptart
FFR Veteran

The link at the end of that sticky is really neat. I'd never seen that before.
MrPoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2018, 06:36 PM   #11
Shodzzy
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to Shodzzy Send a message via Skype™ to Shodzzy

This is totally normal. I'm sorta new as well. When I Started I couldnt get the hang of this game either. I think you play arrows. Try using spread (spread is A S K and L) it helpped me push my level up. Also, when this game gets harder, if the game speed is on the original, everything becomes squished and hard to comprehend. Try to change the speed to 2.5 or 2.0. Mess around with the options a little bit until you find what is comfortable for you. Trust me, give it a few more weeks, or even a month, and you'll definitely get the hang of it.

1. pedophilia?

2. statutory rape?

3. masturbation?
goood mythical morning
Shodzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2018, 06:44 PM   #12
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

I used to work on progressing in tiers of 10s, try to play songs that are 10-19, then when they feel easier, move to 20-29 etc, and keep doing that, eventually you'll be doing 50+s

don't focus on levels and scores just try to hit all the patterns as accurately as possible and youll improve
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2018, 09:53 PM   #13
Zakard
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodzzy View Post
This is totally normal. I'm sorta new as well. When I Started I couldnt get the hang of this game either. I think you play arrows. Try using spread (spread is A S K and L) it helpped me push my level up. Also, when this game gets harder, if the game speed is on the original, everything becomes squished and hard to comprehend. Try to change the speed to 2.5 or 2.0. Mess around with the options a little bit until you find what is comfortable for you. Trust me, give it a few more weeks, or even a month, and you'll definitely get the hang of it.
like i said earlier no i dont play arrow. used split right away(as-kl).i also said i was playing at normal speed (1.5) but i tried 1.75 and 2 after someone else recommanded it and 1.75 was better but 2 was starting to be way to fast.i already struggle to keep up the speed at 1.75 the more i progresse.

im trying 10-12 atm and....it dont go well. i fail almost all song. the patern is getting insane.the mixte of 1key+2 keys is getting closer and closer and i cant keep up at all. it was fun pre lvl 10 but after, i just do a few song and close the game. this is getting frustating.i guess il just stop to do lvl 10 and play song under that for.....probably a long time.

Last edited by Zakard; 01-9-2018 at 09:56 PM..
Old 01-9-2018, 09:57 PM   #14
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

go back to 8s and 9s, i mean, u should expect there to be a spike in difficulty since its becoming double digit lol, you need to improve on lower level files first

edit: a tip, try to minimize boos, and then misses, like basically, the ideal file to play to improve would be stuff that you can fc with few/no boos, but struggle to get perfects on, because that means its going to be improving your speed etc

but all in all, try to hit all the patterns without getting boos, even if it means you are going to get greats and such

edit2: also, another tip is to play songs you enjoy, this game has tons of songs so you might as well play stuff you like, you'll do better

I have a challenge for you, try to pass Legend of Zelda Remix

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...s.php?level=13

its rated 26 but its just because of the surprise at the end, i think u can do it though and itll be worth it, trust

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 01-9-2018 at 10:01 PM..
Old 01-9-2018, 10:30 PM   #15
Hakulyte
the Haku

Honestly, you need a "play to learn" mentality to get anywhere in this game.

You have to start seeing patterns and ways to approach arrows that feels natural and it takes a while to build up.

It's always going to be "why did I get a good/miss?" + some thinking about fixing it.
Old 01-9-2018, 10:31 PM   #16
Zakard
FFR Player

just tryed it for fun once and yes , the first part is not to bad but the yoshi part.....aouch.
Old 01-9-2018, 10:37 PM   #17
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakard View Post
just tryed it for fun once and yes , the first part is not to bad but the yoshi part.....aouch.
ahhh but u gotta pass it, u get a secrit if u do
Old 01-23-2018, 05:07 AM   #18
mikehunter
Banned

Hah, it was difficult for me to play in the beginning as well, even thought to quit, but we learn everything practicing, the more you play the more you understans the game (games)
mikehunter is offline   Reply With Quote