Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Other Music Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #781
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: osu! — Rhythm is just a click away!

Here you go kjw, I went ahead and did a full mod of it. I didn't bother to look at hitsounds at all, but it sounds like you'll need to add some more (hitsounds for the song sounded pretty spontaneous and/or dull).

Code:
[Normal]

-First note, either bump the difficulty up in setup, or change to easy. 2 1/2 stars is an easy song, not a normal.
00:07:577 (2) - Note is slightly offscreen.
00:34:224 (3) - Horrible looking slider.
00:35:813 (1) - Note placement is hidden behind a slider = unrankable.
00:52:754 (1) - Another bad looking slider.
00:59:107 (2) - Slider that doesn't either a.) follow two distinct sounds at the beginning or end, or b.) doesn't follow a smooth/flowing sound.
01:03:166 (?) - Add some notes in this empty space, you have a big exciting chorus and no notes.
01:39:695 (2) - Slider is off beat, needs to follow the entire piece it's following or use single hit circles to every other beat.
01:55:224 (1) - Note placement is a little confusing, especially for an easy/normal song. Not unrankable, just make sure to double-check that.
02:01:930 (1) - Slider isn't too horrible, but it could be better.
02:09:518 (3) - Note is awkward to hit because it's offbeat. I suggest using the same reverse slider pattern you used elsewhere in this combo.
03:24:518 (?) - I suggest adding something to this empty space, but doesn't need to be there either I suppose.
I can show you how to make some really good looking sliders if you want, or you can just do what I did and use this thread as a reference and just play with them on your own.

Last edited by ScarletSky; 01-23-2012 at 03:14 PM..
ScarletSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #782
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

i will never understand osu mapping theory

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #783
kjwkjw
>w<
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude View Post
^

Thanks so much, Scarlet; I'll get to fixing this up when I'm not feeling lazy x3

Goodbye and good riddance, military service (February 23, 2015 ~ February 22, 2017)
Project Sekai 437 / Princess Connect! ReDive 265
kjwkjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #784
BeatofIke
Forum User

Quote:
This ^

Also, I could mod your map if you like
BeatofIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #785
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

What? It's pretty simple really. >.>
And no problem at all kjw. :3

Last edited by ScarletSky; 01-23-2012 at 10:44 PM..
Old 01-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #786
J4yj4ys3z
FFR Player

Practicing modding again :3

Normal

00:06:695 (x)- Add a slider. End at 00:07:224
00:07:930 (x)- Add a slider. End at 00:08:283
00:17:813 (x)- Add a slider. End at 00:18:166. Also use reverse arrow
00:35:813 (1)- Note hidden behind slider.
00:35:813-00:36:871 (1,2)- Make them sliders?

00:38:989 (x)- Add note
00:44:636 (x)- Add note
00:45:342 (x)- Add note

Also you should use distance snap. Some parts confused me

Last edited by J4yj4ys3z; 01-23-2012 at 10:49 PM..
J4yj4ys3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #787
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

OH hell yea.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #788
Gundam-Dude
`~`

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletSky View Post
What? It's pretty simple really. >.>
coming from my full on STEPMANIA IDOL perspective, I just simply don't understand any application of osu mapping theory. it is entirely on its own scale of elitism (which really can't be helped in any game for that matter). but I guess it works out well in osu given the amount of map traffic and active BAT staffing there is, in comparison to deadmania over here, rofl

if there's one thing I've noticed, there's an inverse relationship between stepping files for SM and mapping on osu in which neither of the two should ever be mixed together; they'll likely create very "questionable" files. as a dude who observes this kinda shit closely, I've played a few files from peeps I know on osu that have tried their hand at stepping for SM and just simply layered with the same mentality as they do with mapping. it just simply doesn't work as a structured whole but hey I guess it's fun to explore and experiment even though you don't necessarily have a clue on what you're doing—likewise with sm layering on osu. I'm pretty damn sure if I ever started mapping on osu I'd be shat all over for layering a song like I would with SM rofl

tl;dr GD speaks from his observant viewpoint again which really has no relevance to anything. continue on with your lives ladies and gentlemen

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 01-24-2012 at 01:03 AM..
Old 01-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #789
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

No, I completely understand that and agree actually. xD

For me at least, it was just much easier to grasp osu!'s mapping concept than it was for SM/FFR's. osu! seems to have much more leniency as far as layering goes whereas with SM it was "layer to perfection". Consistency isn't nearly as harsh either, except where hitsounds are concerned.

I've started quite a few maps myself, unfortunately haven't finished a one fully (all difficulties) but in case anyone's interested in looking at my stuff:

(standard specific):
Dr. Ozi - Outta Space Easy 100%; Normal 80%

(taiko specific):
Hifana - Tanglang Guru 45%

These two maps imo are my best works so far. I'll warn you though, they're fairly challenging (for their difficulties), and the taiko map I can't pass myself xP

Last edited by ScarletSky; 01-24-2012 at 01:15 AM..
Old 01-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #790
kjwkjw
>w<
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
if there's one thing I've noticed, there's an inverse relationship between stepping files for SM and mapping on osu in which neither of the two should ever be mixed together; they'll likely create very "questionable" files.
Dang, brb quitting mapping

Okay, not really, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletSky View Post
For me at least, it was just much easier to grasp osu!'s mapping concept than it was for SM/FFR's.
Exactly opposite for me - I actually find it easier to focus on the detailed stuff on FFR/SM such as layering and pattern choice than to be boggled down by sliders and hitsounds and such on osu! But then again, I've mapped all of three maps while I've stepped dozens of files for SM/FFR over the course of nearly 4 years, so...

To each their own I suppose x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4yj4ys3z View Post
Also you should use distance snap. Some parts confused me
Heh, I did, but I alternated a few times between 0.5x and 0.7x spacing. Maybe that wasn't a very good move on my part... (I should be able to re-space everything when I feel like it >.<)

Thanks for modding!

Goodbye and good riddance, military service (February 23, 2015 ~ February 22, 2017)
Project Sekai 437 / Princess Connect! ReDive 265

Last edited by kjwkjw; 01-24-2012 at 01:15 AM..
kjwkjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #791
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

As far as the distance snap goes, you did just fine kjw. Your jumps were justified and you didn't incorrectly space any combos (ie: have two different spacings in a single combo). That's why I never mentioned your spacing.

Also, I'm sure you know about AIMod, which tells you all about the spacing, etc (it's correct ~75% of the time).

mapping vs. stepping
I just feel that I can be much more creative with osu! whereas with SM and FFR everything felt extremely elitist and I had to have perfect layering and all the charts were extremely technical. It wasn't very fun at all.

Last edited by ScarletSky; 01-24-2012 at 01:26 AM..
Old 01-24-2012, 01:47 AM   #792
Gundam-Dude
`~`

you can't really put ffr on the same level with sm though because the latter has turned into a much more lax mentality for in terms of stepping. you can mostly blame me and what I -thought- was little impact turned out to be a big change—movement if you want to call it. of course, other major figures in sm today had an impact too, not explicitly just me.

there seems to be a general misconception that just because getting a file into ffr is hard means that stepping for sm is equally as hard. absolutely not, ever since I and others came about, whatever elitism that was enforced just a little over 2 years ago has turned into just remnants. not to say that everyone has adapted, but I can at least say the majority of our little clique (remember, we are an abysmal percentage of players compared to the rest of the world) has opened themselves up and has done stuff outside the box.

stepping for sm is extremely open-minded and easy to get involved in. the fact of the matter is that since people carry that misconception that we're all elitist jackasses, they're reluctant to integrate themselves and are afraid to go beyond what is technical. I don't need to repeat myself a million times about this but again I myself break technical layering conventions and no one says a thing because the files end up being fun and structured. who in the **** even gives a shit about technicality these days other than those still living with the whole "everything must be 200% structurally relevant" mentality or ffr judges that need this as a legitimate excuse for file control.

I kinda wish osu mapping had this sort of lax, open-mindedness to it but that's just simply asking for too much especially with how well it has established itself today. it doesn't need it at this point, but it'd be nice to have just about anyone get maps ranked without efforts going to waste

uh oh I blew a fuse again

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 01-24-2012 at 01:57 AM..
Old 01-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #793
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Aha, well that would explain why my opinion's biased.

I tried stepping for SM before (long before I found FFR), and that was about 3 or more years ago. I was pretty well laughed at back then for my one chart that I handed out and that's when I left the SM community permanently. Albeit, when I look back at it now, it was for good reason; the chart was absolute shit. But it was the response from them that made me upset, not that my chart was actually crap. xP I'm glad that's changed now, maybe they'll get a bit more people interested in it and get that deadland live again. It's still an excellent rhythm game, regardless of any previous misconceptions of it.

FFR however, is pretty harsh as far as the judgement system goes. It works well, don't get me wrong, and I couldn't think of any better way to do it as of now, but still.

osu! feels really lax with it, and it's really easy to get a map accepted even for a beginning mapper. The modding community's really good at determining whether or not a map's ready for acceptance and they all help a little by giving their input. It just takes dedication to get your name out where a BAT will look at it. Getting maps accepted is more about socialization and dedication than anything. Gotta be willing to give and take and to communicate a little. Of course you are right, the open-mindedness is a little absent there, but I can understand why and they compensate for it with their modding community.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #794
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I kinda wish osu mapping had this sort of lax, open-mindedness to it but that's just simply asking for too much especially with how well it has established itself today. it doesn't need it at this point, but it'd be nice to have just about anyone get maps ranked without efforts going to waste
There's no "wasted" effort in a map. Ranked maps are plentiful, but there are several maps that are neither ranked or approved and are still played. (Consider: packs versus single releases.) You won't get the same exposure, but unless you care about that it doesn't matter. If your map is good enough to become popular it'd probably be ranked/approved anyway.

osu! can't adopt the same "lax, open-mindedness" in regards to ranked maps that StepMania has because:

1) There are ranked leaderboards, meaning file control is a must
2) Due to the scoring system adopted from Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and the structuring of the rankings, ranked maps have a hard cap of 20 million points without mods and a soft length cap of 5 minutes
3) There are more aspects to making a map than StepMania, meaning more can go wrong or go against the general harmony of the chart
4) This community is ****ing dead as shit

A ****ed up map is a lot easier to notice than a ****ed up chart. 1/8 stream is always easier than 1/16 stream at the same BPM in SM. In osu!, condensed 1/16 stream can be easier than 1/8 jump chains but not exclusively so. In SM, you simply add extra notes to denote different layers at the same time interval. Because osu! has only a single input, this must be expressed differently (e.g. combo colours, spacing, hitsounds, storyboards). osu! has combo based scoring, so the 64th vibrajack walls that cause CBs are unacceptable. You see where I'm going with this?

tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude
I just simply don't understand any application of osu mapping theory
This is correct.

p.s. use some goddamn caps when you type bricks of text please it's a pain to read

Last edited by Xiaounlimited; 01-24-2012 at 04:35 AM..
Xiaounlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #795
NixXSkate
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to NixXSkate

i would love to mod the map if i could see it updated after other mods
Old 01-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #796
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Rank 1, hell yea! I did end up getting the SS on FL, but it didn't beat my other rank (probably due to big notes), oh well.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #797
hi19hi19
lol happy

osu mapping is a ton of fun.
I'd need to get good at the game though if I wanted to actually do it semi-seriously, which is why I'm not.

But I made a map for Data Drain and it's pretty fuccen fun even though there's no way I can pass it lol

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #798
Samwais
Mysterious. . . .
FFR Veteran

This was pretty cool. Didn't expect to rank quite this high :d

But then I failed really hard >.<

Samwais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #799
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Very nice S there.

LOOOL dose 100s

Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #800
pmonibuv1
yes
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to pmonibuv1 Send a message via Skype™ to pmonibuv1

FMO AAA's (55): Rottel-Da-Station, Church Bells, Arrogant Cobbler, Grocery Escape Plan, Disconnected Hardkore, Minute Waltz v2, Battle Theme #37, Flight of the Bumblebee, Midnight Dragon, Jeanie and Caroline, Blue-Violet, Puzzle, Kyrie, 300, Largiloquent Dithyramb, Brandish Headless, Going On Spring Wind, Novo Mundo, Gacha Gacha Hertz Figu atto Radio, Starwolf, Melonman's OP, Summer Time Perfume, Perfect Cherry Storm, Hajnal, Epidermis, Strangeprogram, Thrash, Lawn Wake I (LW EP Edit), Choprite, AIM Anthem, Dance and Zeal, Kanon Medley ~Metal Wings~, Clockwork, JULIA, Heavenly Spores, Distorted God, Radio Heads, Epilogue, Spoils, Ripoff, Since 1983, A FLOWER GARDEN, The earth blew up, Phalanx, Chronograph, Black Key Etude, Trinity, super mario bros theme (original NES is awesome), Jack-The-Ripper, Poppin' Shower, cheerful forest, Trisection v2, Devilz Staircase, Colibri, Club

FGO AAA's (2): Time To Eye, The Bird's Concrete Nosedive

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pmonibuv1 is offline   Reply With Quote