stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Default Re: Does anything matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
this is the correct answer

alternatively, in case anyone has trouble understanding why it's right:

define "mattering". you won't be able to come up with anything consistent that applies outside of human biases.
This is the best response in the entire thread because it essentially demonstrates why the question is nonsensical.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #22
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Does survival matter to a virus?

Does wind erosion matter to a rock?

Last edited by Reincarnate; 11-16-2015 at 04:56 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #23
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

What are the other components he's asking then MrPop?

Anyway, picture the universe without any conscious being there to observe it. What would have value? What does that tell you about inherent value?
Old 11-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #24
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopadopalis25 View Post
How to live an everyday life, and what sorts of things should be valued to bring about that everyday life.

Like, I think the follow-up question would be "Okay, nothing has intrinsic worth and value is subjective, so then what should matter subjectively?" No matter how arbitrary value is, we still make these judgments of worth and need to understand how and why to figure out what matters to us. Like, even arch and stargroup saying that nothing has intrinsic value is the correct/best answer is a value judgment, meaning that certain answers matter more than others:
Sure, but that's a follow-up question and not some component of his original question, which is what you were claiming. The original question quite specifically asks about inherent (objective) value, so a short and simple answer doesn't stop short. The question of deriving subjective value in life is a whole other topic.
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:37 PM   #25
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I think the fact that we exist enabling us to ask and discuss such a question matters in and of itself. To neglect ourselves as a component only opens the hypothetical paradigm were ironically we are trying to prove what some thing is isn't on both sides of the spectrum.

Yes, innately, an answer would imply personification of a beginning with no beginning vice versa a beginning that is by its very definition. How could some thing not have a beginning?

It seems their are two distinctly parallel perspectives who will never reach agreement making questions as these unanswerable much like the nature of our composition were it takes two terminals of positive and negative charge to arch existence giving energy.

Last edited by V-Ormix; 11-17-2015 at 04:40 PM..
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #26
ilikexd

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Ormix View Post
I think the fact that we exist enabling us to ask and discuss such a question matters in and of itself. To neglect ourselves as a component only opens the hypothetical paradigm were ironically we are trying to prove what some thing is isn't on both sides of the spectrum.

Yes, innately, an answer would imply personification of a beginning with no beginning vice versa a beginning that is by its very definition. How could some thing not have a beginning?

It seems their are two distinctly parallel perspectives who will never reach agreement making questions as these unanswerable much like the nature of our composition were it takes two terminals of positive and negative charge to arch existence giving energy.
That doesn't make any sense.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #27
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Looks like my human view post is pointless, let's try again with a slightly more objective view.

"Nothing matters with only one known exception."

If a human being or any form of life with reasoning capabilities decide to assign matter a value and care about it, anything can matter (for them).

What matters is going to become directly interconnected to the being that care about it. It can be expanded to others through communication and become something that matters on a bigger scale.

Matter is a property which is assigned a value by something else, it cannot undeniably matter by itself. It's like trying to talk to someone except that there's no one to begin with.. you need at least two person to talk, or even one that could talk to itself, but talking become impossible if there's no one. Something can matter if you're alone, something can matter even more with multiple people, but nothing can matter if there's nothing to make it matter.

You guys will have fun for a long time if you try to find a yes/no answer to this.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 11-17-2015 at 07:31 PM..
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:29 PM   #28
ilikexd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
Looks like my human view post is pointless, let's try again with a slightly more objective view.

"Nothing matters with only one known exception."

If a human being or any form of life with reasoning capabilities decide to assign matter a value and care about it, anything can matter.

What matters is going to become directly interconnected to the being that care about it. It can be expanded to others through communication and become something that matter on a bigger scale.

Does that make things matter on an universal scale without any doubts?

No, because as I started with; "nothing matters" and this is just a man-made exception because we have the ability to create things that matter on a very small scale.

Matter is a property which is assigned a value by something else, it cannot undeniably matter by itself. It's like trying to talk to someone except that there's no one to begin with.. you need at least two person to talk, or even one that could talk to itself, but talking become impossible if there's no one. Something can matter if you're alone, something can matter even more with multiple people, but nothing can matter if there's nothing to make it matter.

You guys will have fun for a long time if you try to find a yes/no answer to this.
How is that an objective view? Your entire post is saying mattering is subjective.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #29
Hakulyte
the Haku

Oh okay then, nothing matters.

Nothing can matter because nothing can objectively make things matter.

Enjoy.

..and yes, mattering is entirely subjective according to me.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 11-17-2015 at 07:39 PM..
Old 11-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #30
ilikexd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
Oh okay then, nothing matters.

Nothing can matter because nothing can objectively make things matter.

Enjoy.
No, things subjectively matter.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #31
V-Ormix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
That doesn't make any sense.
Well, I would imagine it wouldn't to you, as I mentioned "parallel perspectives" aka on different wave lengths.

this won't make sense to you either:

Semantics never do change meaning in actuality because even words matter...
Old 11-17-2015, 10:25 PM   #32
ilikexd

You're right, that didn't make sense either.

Semantics is meaning as it exists in language. So what you basically just said is "Meanings never change meaning", which is nonsensical.

As far as parallel perspectives and different wavelengths, that's just word salad. If you're trying to make a metaphor for something you'll need to rephrase or just be more straightforward.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #33
V-Ormix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
You're right, that didn't make sense either.

Semantics is meaning as it exists in language. So what you basically just said is "Meanings never change meaning", which is nonsensical.

As far as parallel perspectives and different wavelengths, that's just word salad. If you're trying to make a metaphor for something you'll need to rephrase or just be more straightforward.
Okay so what even is a word salad? I might not want your advice for metaphors... I think I'll use what words express my thoughts best thank you.

Semantics is a branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning to be more specific, thus it might be "logical" that in the context that I used semantics was to refer to some one using words only in a means to manipulate the sum of the parts in their sentence structure so they "can't" be wrong.

Last edited by V-Ormix; 11-17-2015 at 10:42 PM..
Old 11-17-2015, 11:03 PM   #34
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Quote:
Okay so what even is a word salad?
The composition of literal objects in a literary vacuum holds relevance only when the inherent structure of its intended constituents are bonded by empirical or logical paradigms and structured in a post-normative fashion. Anything that doesn't fit the previous criteria but lies within the bounds of compositional communication then qualifies as establishing relations with the aforementioned metaphor.

That sentence I just wrote is total bullshit and means nothing even though it tries to sound technical or smart. That's word salad.

On another note, this is a discussion very rapidly devolving into semantics and [while some people are making valid points] nobody is really talking about the same thing. The guy who made the thread probably didn't really care about having an answer and just wanted to post philosophical bullshit in this board. We answered his question in what is possibly the best way possible and the discussion went off in a tangent. You guys really should define "matter" very carefully because you're already conflating a fuckton of topics together, including human perception and subjectivity, linguistics, epistomology, etc.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music

Last edited by stargroup100; 11-17-2015 at 11:45 PM..
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #35
V-Ormix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargroup100 View Post
The composition of literal objects in a literary vacuum holds relevance only when the inherent structure of its intended constituents are bonded by empirical or logical paradigms and structured in a post-normative fashion. Anything that doesn't fit the previous criteria but lies within the bounds of compositional communication then qualifies as establishing relations with the aforementioned metaphor.

That sentence I just wrote is total bullshit and means nothing even though it tries to sound technical or smart. That's word salad.

On another note, this is a discussion very rapidly devolving into semantics and [while some people are making valid points] nobody is really talking about the same thing. The guy who made the thread probably didn't really care about having an answer and just wanted to post philosophical bullshit in this board. We answered his question in what is possibly the best way possible and the discussion went off in a tangent. [b]You guys really should define "matter" very carefully[b] because you're already conflating a fuckton of topics together, including human perception and subjectivity, linguistics, epistomology, etc.
i c u wut u didtheretheir this thing that

I suppose we needn't more than 3 characters to achieve a resounding yes or no huh

Last edited by V-Ormix; 11-17-2015 at 11:13 PM..
Old 11-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #36
ULTIMEGA
Torn to oblivion!

Quote:
i c u wut u didtheretheir this thing that

I suppose we needn't more than 3 characters to achieve a resounding yes or no huh
I don't even know what the hell is going on half the time. CLUE ME IN, DAMMIT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
@ULTIMEGA, dank meme genie.

HIGHEST AAA:Necropotence [90]
HIGHEST SDG: Magical 8 Bit Tour [100] (7-0-0-4)
HIGHEST FC: Six Acid Strings [101]
HIGHEST SCORE: Magical 8 Bit Tour [100] (7-0-0-4)
ULTIMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:26 PM   #37
V-Ormix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTIMEGA View Post
I don't even know what the hell is going on half the time. CLUE ME IN, DAMMIT!!!
Aarrghh hard boiled egg yo
Old 11-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #38
botchi246
Keepin it Real since '05
FFR Veteran

my face matters

botchi246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:11 PM   #39
Hakulyte
the Haku

aye, poor debate, better take a small break and enjoy some Metallica.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 11-18-2015 at 04:36 PM..