Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2015, 01:40 AM   #1
shonen7
[GAR-CANO]
FFR Veteran

Default Need help getting back into the game

Hey there everybody, I've got a bit of a problem I need help resolving.

I want to start playing FFR again after a long break but being a long time velocity engine player I can't get used to R^3. The only reason I'm making the switch between engines is because I started having problems with my eyes losing focus frequently whenever I used the velocity engine and R^3 is easier on the eyes.

My main problem is that I can't find settings in R^3 that accurately replicate what I was using in velo's engine. I played at 1.9 speed in velo and everything I've tried so far in R^3 is either too fast or too slow. I've narrowed the speed down to somewhere between 2.35 and 2.1 but that leads me to my next problem.

I can't find the right offset, it always seems like I'm hitting the notes too late. I don't know if its due to me not having the right speed set or just being a picky bitch that can't find the exact spot where its feels the most comfortable. What I've been trying to use so far is 0.5 global with 0.5 judge but then that desyncs the receptors when you press a key, making them lag behind everything else. Which brings me to last problem and probably the biggest problem I have.

There is no weight behind key presses. It feels like I'm playing with the music muted. I press a key to hit a note and expect there to be beat in the music or something else to let me know I hit the note. In DDR you can feel when you hit the arrow, in jubeat there is a clear visual indicator that lets you know you hit the note, same thing with cytus there is a clear audio indicator that you hit the note, and same with reflec beat just to name a few other games I've been playing to satisfy my rhythm game addiction.

So I've finally cracked and I'm turning to the community to throw settings at me until either something works or I'm doneski and the boys. I'll list my current settings for both velo and R^3 to see if anyone else can bridge the gap between the two because at this point I'll try anything and everything.

Current velo:
1.9x speed, dark

Current R^3:
2.35 speed, 0.5 global offset, 0.5 judge offset
75 receptor spacing, dark

tl:dr I can't find comfy settings, suggest settings similar to my own cause I can't get gud anymore.

Edit: Sticking to Franks suggestion for the time being. Music still feels off, like I'm too late but I'll keep checking the thread to see if any more suggestions pop up.

Last edited by shonen7; 09-23-2015 at 03:18 AM..
shonen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:03 AM   #2
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Need help getting back into the game

my advice, as someone who is making a switch from legacy to r3 is try your best not to worry about it too much...

you'll get locked into thinking that the reason you do not play as good as you did on velo is because you need the perfect settings.
Which is okay sometimes, but dont get sucked into it.

but besides that the settings i use vary everyday so i understand

i typically use 2.5x when i read at 2x on velo/legacy
2.3x for 1.875x
and 2.1 for 1.75x

when i first started using r3 i had my globaloffset at 2 and judgeoffset at 1
then i eased into 0 global and stayed with the 1 judge offset cause it really seems like the r3 judging is abit diff from the other engines as if it at zero you get perfects from tapping later than you would on legacy/velo and i hate the way it looks

my receptor spacing is at 75 to replicate legacy
i believe velos spacing is at 80 though

so in short i'd recommend for you
2.4x speed
0 global offset, 1 judge offset
(ofcourse, your global will change depending on what file you play, so test it on charts you KNOW are insync)
75 receptor spacing
(even though i'm positive velos is at 80, 75 is just so good)

another tip -
play charts that are easier than you usually play to get comfortable with R3 before the usual mashing we all love to do and change settings accordingly.
Sometimes you might find you don't even have to change them.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:27 AM   #3
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Speed: 2.7x
Global Offset: -0.5
Judge Offset: -0.25

I know it's probably too fast, but it's worth playing like that for a while before moving back to your comfortable setup.

If you have a lot of spare time, I suggest you to sit down and playing something like Yoshi's Cookie. Try to find which combo of speed/global/judge offset that gives you the highest amazing count.

Edit: The irony is that you'll realize the moment you go play a harder song, it just doesn't work and you have to adjust regardless to yourself.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 09-23-2015 at 02:33 AM..
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:34 AM   #4
shonen7
[GAR-CANO]
FFR Veteran

Currently trying what Frank suggested, I like the feel of it so far but it still sounds a little late on most 50-60 files I've tried but I'll give the high speed a try hakulyte. I used to play stepmania on c1000 not sure how that translates to FFR but super high speed doesn't bother me too much.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:39 AM   #5
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonen7 View Post
Currently trying what Frank suggested, I like the feel of it so far but it still sounds a little late on most 50-60 files I've tried but I'll give the high speed a try hakulyte. I used to play stepmania on c1000 not sure how that translates to FFR but super high speed doesn't bother me too much.
holy ff.... c1000???
you should be playin like 3.3x
Old 09-23-2015, 02:43 AM   #6
shonen7
[GAR-CANO]
FFR Veteran

I pretty sure it had something to do with the size of the screen. Full screen sm versus windowed ffr since the ratio on fullscreen throws me off. I tried yoshis cookie on both setting so far. AAA'd on low speed with 0/1 offset with a ratio of 1:1 amazing to perfects. Played on high speed -.5/-.25 and got about a 3:1 ratio amazing to perfects didn't AAA though. I'm feeling the negative offsets, never even thought about going negative. I'm pretty sure if i tune the speed down I'd be set but I'm going to try it out some more.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:53 AM   #7
shonen7
[GAR-CANO]
FFR Veteran

Some new findings after playing about 10 times on each setting. I can consistently AAA on 0/1 offset but it sounds off to me other than that its good. On -0.5/-0.25 it sounds and feels right at high speed but I get worse scores if I try to transition to low speed. So at this point I'm probably just going to have to deal with it not sounding right but being able to score consistently. More than likely I'll continue to swap between settings for fun but if I want to compete I'll play with Frank suggestion.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:28 AM   #8
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Sometimes, the star aligns, how you play fit with the speed and the global offset and the judge offset so well that scores that shouldn't happen, happens.

Like just now, this was the ideal setup for me to nail a 76:

2.325x Speed
0 global offset
-0.15 judge offset

Not too slow, but not too fast, a little bit of negative offset to hit late in worse case and there you go, getting results. Ideal speed etc. may vary.

Boom.

If I use this exact setup on another song, it's possible that everything goes wrong. Kinda tricky.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 09-23-2015 at 03:35 AM..
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:40 AM   #9
shonen7
[GAR-CANO]
FFR Veteran

I know what you mean, hitting the bullseye is kind of hard when I have to trouble shoot each file individually. I guess I'm too used to one size fits all from velo. Just going to keep messing with it. By the way, while you're here how about you throw some of that sick ma my way. lol