Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR Profiles
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-2-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Xapti
FFR Player

Default Font sizing at flashflashrevolution.com

Just a heads up to the admins who work on the site:
You're sizing text with pixels on virtually all pages, including the main page, and profile pages.
What's the problem with sizing pages with pixels? numerous:

First of all, Internet explorer, for some dumb reason, does not change text size when you change the text size option under the view menu. It is virtually impossible for the user to view it at any other font size than what you specified.

Secondly, specifying the base font-size (of any value/units, let alone using pixels) at all is not a good idea, since it should use the browser's default size, so that it will run what size the user is comfortable with, instead of having to dynamically change it every time they visit the page (since other than IE, it doesn't remember font size once you close the session)

Now you may wonder what's wrong with not having variable font size, who cares if it's the same pixel size for everyone? The answer is that people are running at various resolutions. Some people's monitors are running at 3 Megapixels or more (2048x1600), while other's may be running 800x600, which isn't even half a Megapixel.
This results in pretty big physical text size for low resolutions, and really tiny text size for high resolutions. The difference can be greater than a factor of 3!

The resolution issue is for people with good eyesight. But even someone running at the currently most common resolution (around 1-1.2 Mpx) may have problems if their eyesight is poor.

I hope I proved my point and that you can implement more flexible CSS styles.
Xapti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-1-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Xapti
FFR Player

Default Re: Font sizing at flashflashrevolution.com

Anyone planning on working on that?
Old 11-2-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
chunky_cheese
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Wouldn't fiddling with this allow for alot of page warping glitches? Also, internet explorer 7 offers a zoom feature if you personally are having problems with the font size.
chunky_cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-2-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
Xapti
FFR Player

I am not having problems with font size, but the way it's implemented on the site makes it so that isn't the case for everyone (such as those who use IE6). Both IE6 and IE7 cannot resize pixel-sized text, but at least IE7 can do the page zoom. Page zoom makes EVERYTHING bigger though, which is probably pretty annoying for most people. Note that if I zoom the page 150%, that the top flashflashreviolution banner, and everything else, will be wider, making you have to scroll horizontally all the time. Images also look also fairly ugly and pixelated due to the zoom.
The importance of web design is to make a website accessible through multiple browsers, not to force browsers on a user just to get accessibility (just because it's not forced on a person doesn't mean they shouldn't change browsers though!)

When it comes to page warping glitches, it would only happen if the site is designed in an inflexible method (common with non-semantic table-based layouts, even though they can easily be somewhat flexible too), if such is the case, than a page renovation would be in order.
Currently, any page breaking due to text-resizing is very minimal. It's virtually non-existant if you increase the size a bit, and minor to moderate when text is size at an extreme size.
Old 11-4-2007, 01:06 AM   #5
madmatt621
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to madmatt621 Send a message via AIM to madmatt621 Send a message via MSN to madmatt621 Send a message via Yahoo to madmatt621 Send a message via Skype™ to madmatt621

As long as you can clearly read what is on the website, then there shouldn't be a problem.
madmatt621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-4-2007, 01:41 AM   #6
chunky_cheese
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I've found that there is also an option called "Text Sizing", try that out. I'm not sure if it's an Internet Explorer 7 thing but I remember seeing something like that on firefox.
chunky_cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-4-2007, 01:42 AM   #7
meno_rocks123
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to meno_rocks123

use firefox.
hold ctrl and roll your mouse up.
problem solved.
meno_rocks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-4-2007, 01:21 AM   #8
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to EnR Send a message via MSN to EnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno_rocks123 View Post
use firefox.
problem solved.

IE7 also has that feature
Old 11-4-2007, 01:31 AM   #9
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

Yeah but firefox is better.

IE7 Stole:
Tabbed

and IE7s security is WAY to ****in tight, yet it still sucks...
Old 11-7-2007, 11:11 PM   #10
Xapti
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno_rocks123 View Post
use firefox.
problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky_cheese View Post
I've found that there is also an option called "Text Sizing", try that out. I'm not sure if it's an Internet Explorer 7 thing but I remember seeing something like that on firefox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt621 View Post
As long as you can clearly read what is on the website, then there shouldn't be a problem.
What the hell, where are people geting the impression that I am having problems? I've already mentioned that I don't have any problems. The problem is with the thousands of users who use IE6... if the site's text is too big or too small for them, the will not be able to adjust it, at all, In any way (aside from like 3rd party application). Have I freaking made myself clear?
Old 11-8-2007, 06:55 AM   #11
GamerShadow
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GamerShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xapti View Post
What the hell, where are people geting the impression that I am having problems? I've already mentioned that I don't have any problems. The problem is with the thousands of users who use IE6... if the site's text is too big or too small for them, the will not be able to adjust it, at all, In any way (aside from like 3rd party application). Have I freaking made myself clear?
Then they need to get off their lazy asses and update. IE7 is free, if my memory serves, and it is easy to download. There should be no reason as to why they have IE6.

Also: Firefox >>>> IE.
Old 11-8-2007, 07:55 AM   #12
Dale
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerShadow View Post
Then they need to get off their lazy asses and update. IE7 is free, if my memory serves, and it is easy to download. There should be no reason as to why they have IE6.

Also: Firefox >>>> IE.
Still, IE7 doesn't work on a pre XP operating system, and there are people out there still using those.