Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #61
DJ_Swabber
Is feckin' leget, betch.™
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: The Dark Knight

- Was super good.
Plus, I got shark kisses in between the intense scenes.

Though, it did feel like every BIG part(s) of the movie it could end there, but they were like: "OHH NO.. lets make it MORE and MORE intense."
/splosions

JOIN the Spartans or DIEEEEE. =D (go to my random thought)

Last edited by DJ_Swabber; 07-21-2008 at 10:59 PM..
DJ_Swabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #62
super kid
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to super kid Send a message via Yahoo to super kid

Grammy for Ledger? I think so.
super kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #63
Afrombean
FFR Player

regarding shox's spoiler:
You do know his coin is heads on both sides, right? He "makes [his] own luck". Usually, it's "good heads" and "bad heads". That's something else though, his "bad heads" wasn't anywhere near as distinct as it should have been in my opinion. In other portrayals it usually has large gashes, but this one just looked like any old coin that had been in circulation for a long time.

Also, his last flip was for whether or not he'd shoot the kid, right? Didn't that turn up bad heads, which is why Batman tackled him? I don't know for certain, I still haven't had a chance to go see it a second time yet. I'm hoping to get out to the imax sometime.

Yeah... Ledger's performance is DEFINITELY worthy of a GRAMMY. Or maybe an Emmy. At least a Peabody.
Afrombean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #64
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

Quote:
omg heith leger was amazing omg!!
are you kidding

the joker was well written and mediocrely acted

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:33 AM   #65
Afrombean
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokzic View Post
are you kidding

the joker was well written and mediocrely acted
Oh?

(for the slow, the white sections are spoilers)

Please, then, tell us what areas had room for improvement. For the direction the character went, it was essentially perfect. The only part that I thought didn't really fit was when he told the story about his father cutting him, but that was later absolved when he told someone else that he had done it to himself; he wasn't being serious, he was joking with them, no matter how ironically he delivered the "why so serious" line. Honestly, I would have liked to have seen another scene like that, just to drive home the point, but it works well enough as is.

But then again, now that I think about it, that sort of thing is dipping into the double irony department and I do realize that most of you simply have no appreciation for it. Even so, the characterization and portrayal couldn't have been better, even if you didn't like the few ironic scenes.

Or maybe you would have rather had those scenes be delivered seriously? I hope not. Were you also bothered by his sarcastic clapping when the police were holding him and they announced that Gordon was going to be commissioner?

Like, honestly, I don't see how anyone who is a fan of the real Joker could not appreciate this. I think the only people who would even have a chance of not loving this are ones who have only ever seen the Joker in the campy TV series/movie, and Burton's 1989 Batman (who, incidentally, wasn't as far off mark as he could have been... ugh that TV show...).
Old 07-22-2008, 12:38 AM   #66
super kid
FFR Player

Afrombean: I heard the clapping was improvised by Heath Ledger and the director rolled with it. I thought it was something the Joker would do.

Last edited by super kid; 07-22-2008 at 12:56 AM..
Old 07-22-2008, 12:49 AM   #67
Afrombean
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by super kid View Post
Afrombean:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Quote:
I heard the clapping was improvised by Heath Ledger and the director rolled with it.
I heard this as well. Or rather, I believe I read it.
Quote:
I thought i was something the Joker would do.
I think so as well. The only other thing which would be appropriate would be to congratulate him vocally and possibly cackle maniacally.

Another point that I haven't seen brought up a lot as an example of the greatness of the performance (spoiler below):
When he blows up the hospital. As if being in a dress wasn't enough, he did the "omg serious walk away" thing, paused, struggled with the detonator, then set off the rest of the explosives. And the way he did it was so perfect, so right. Often when people cite how great he is, they'll name the disappearing pencil scene. It is great, but I think this one hits the mark just as well. Another one that really nailed it for me was the scene at the end where he's just talking to Batman; the characterization couldn't have been more right.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:01 AM   #68
super kid
FFR Player

All those parts were all good. I loved the hospital scene.
Also loved this part; Spoiler warning:Were we first walks in to crash the party. I also heard from my friend that Michael Cain was actually scared at this point in real life. lol. Also the part were he says " No I killed the bus drive" and when they ask "So you think you can just walk away with our money" and he replies "Yeah". Lol.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:37 AM   #69
Lightknight924
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Lightknight924

We should all become super villians/heroes and terroize/protect the forum.

Edit* I call Riddler.
Lightknight924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:07 AM   #70
Afrombean
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshox View Post
two face murders robin so joker breaks batman's spine while batgirl shoots herself in the spine
uh dude, I'm pretty sure he got good heads on himself, then went back to the whole "lie to him, tell him everything is going to be alright" thing. I'm also pretty sure he flipped it and it came back bad heads. I might be mistaken, since like I said, I haven't gotten a second go at it yet, but I'm pretty darn sure he kept going after getting good heads on himself. Because the thing is Batman was like "no, don't blame him blame the people whose fault it is", so he first goes to Batman, then himself, then back to Gordon (although with gordon, he was attacking him by proxy of his son) Because they each hand a hand in it, although I do find it funny that Joker wasn't his first target (not counting his outburst in the hospital), although I suppose he would be too difficult to track down.

Man, I really hope I get to the imax to see this again soon. Does anyone know which scenes were filmed specifically for imax? I can't even begin to think of what it could be because the ones that would look best would probably be too risky of shots for the more expensive camera systems.

You know what, I think I'm going to give the theatre a call when I get home in the morning and find out when the next available showing is. It's funny... all this talk of sold out shows, when I went to the first showing Friday morning and the theatre wasn't even full. I guess I caught the crowd who couldn't make the midnight showing, but still wanted to see it early and also didn't mind getting up "early" to see it at 9:30AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 AM   #71
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

Yeah.

SPOILER:

Two face had already flipped for himself. It was for the son. And the outcome of the coin toss was good heads, as the coin hit the floor.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #72
NoTheyArentYouRetard
Banned

He flips for Batman first, then himself, then the son. It wouldn't make sense for Batman to dive in as he's about to shoot himself and then knock him off the building! That would be like trying to save someone from drowning in a plastic water tank by unloading machine guns at it to blow air holes.
NoTheyArentYouRetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #73
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

He flips for Batman, shoots him. Puts the gun to his head, flips, survives. Puts the gun to Gordon's son's head, flips, but before he can catch the coin, Batman pushes the son and Harvey out of the way - off the building. The coin landing face up, to me, meant that Gordon's son lived. And probably would have lived, regardless.

EDIT: And Afrobean, the coin toss in the hospital counts. It was the first step in his killing spree.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #74
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
EDIT: And Afrobean, the coin toss in the hospital counts. It was the first step in his killing spree.
I guess what I should have said is that he gave up too easily. Notice the scene where he spares the mobster or whoever, then kills the driver as a frame of reference. I really liked how they handled that too, they left it open for him without allowing him to make multiple flips for the same act like they did in Batman Forever. That whole take on it in that one is pretty dumb in hindsight, because when you let him flip indefinitely, he'll just keep flipping until he gets the one that lets him do EVIL, which changes him from an interesting person to a one note shell of a character.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #75
NoTheyArentYouRetard
Banned

The whole point of Two-Face's character is that his split personality makes him rely on the flip of a coin to make decisions for him. He accepts the outcome of the coin and does not question it. They messed up in Forever by making him continue to flip until he got a given outcome.

I'm glad they got Two-Face's character right in this movie. The scene where he has Gordon's family hostage is chilling... classic Two-Face
NoTheyArentYouRetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #76
Cursebred
FFR Player

Oh, kids. Do not watch this movie. According to certain critics, this movie flies just south of an "R" rating because of violence.
Cursebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #77
xThai
slurprprprprpr ~
FFR Veteran

This movie is amazing, Heath Ledger was just perfect as the joker.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #78
Telvanni_guard
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Telvanni_guard Send a message via MSN to Telvanni_guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrombean View Post
Yeah... Ledger's performance is DEFINITELY worthy of a GRAMMY. Or maybe an Emmy. At least a Peabody.
Would it be the first person to win the award while deceased?

Curiousity.
Telvanni_guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #79
xThai
slurprprprprpr ~
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telvanni_guard View Post

Curiousity.
Not sure, but I'm pretty sure he's going to win the award.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #80
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telvanni_guard View Post

Curiousity.
He would be the second ever posthumous Oscar. Even posthumous nominations are rather rare, and the person being deceased at the time of voting for the award has been proven to be a detriment to the person's chances of winning. If you want further information on the subject, I am sure googling "posthumous oscar" would lead you to what you're looking for.

Notice: Oscar. Not Grammy. Not Emmy. Oscar.