Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #1981
zidart
FFR Player

Default Re: Super Smash Brothers Brawl

besides it's not like there's glitches that can be abused to extremely great advantage.... so when it comes to brawl tournaments will be no problem. but what i think it should be good idea is that they created 2 types

a no-item simple stage one tournament
and a item with random stage tournament

that way people can play the way they want without any kind of conflict... and since the random on-line will have random items and stages on vote people should be aware of that.. and even if you leave the PC would take the place of the person that disagrees with the stage and it will not harm the fun of the player that is playing..... i hope you get what i mean
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #1982
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

I'm not even talking about glitches here, people. Please read my posts. We're talking classifications of gamers. Stop going "sqek's at it again lolol". I'm not at it again. The only recent post I've made about glitches was with regards to how obvious the glitch with Bowser would be to spot and how useless the non-glitch that Snake has for recovery is.

Relam: The current gamer today looks down on those labeled as "casual" gamers. Casual gamers bought a Wii for Wii Sports. That's it. Casual gamers play PopCap games and all that stuff.

I don't care what "the smash community" classifies other people with. It's an insulting term to call a gamer "casual" in these days. I know I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I sure as hell am not a casual gamer by any definition.

This is a Casual game

This is a gamer's game

Edit: Zidart, what I said earlier about items being random in "against anyone" play was a misinterpretation. Items and stages are both handled via lottery vote before the match.

Last edited by Squeek; 02-12-2008 at 10:16 PM..
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #1983
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Like I said, I'm differentiating between casual Smash players and casual gamers. The two aren't necessarily linked. Just because they use the same adjective doesn't mean they describe the same thing.

For those who uses the term "casual Smash player" the way I am (which is pretty much anyone in the competitive Smash community, almost everyone I would need to use the term with), they understand it to be completely separate from a casual gamer in general.

In fact, this thread is the first and only instance in which I've had to differentiate between the two groups, outside of SWF.

As long as I've gotten the point across that "casual Smash player" is NOT construed to be offensive (much like a certain n-word isn't offensive when used in certain contexts), then that should be enough. We're on the same page now, so why continue this? What possible benefit could either of us gain?
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #1984
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Sqeks at it again lolol
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #1985
Relambrien
FFR Player

You know, I'm trying to have a cool-headed discussion with Squeek here so that we can sort out any misunderstandings between us and hopefully reach some state of tenuous agreement, and inflammatory posts like that really aren't helping.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #1986
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

You're talking about squeek relambrien. HE WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #1987
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Call any other gamer a "casual smash player" and they'll rebut with the same thing. That's all I'm saying. Among gamers, the rise of the casual game has put us in an odd situation. More and more people are playing these games, which gets "gaming" into the public eye where people see that it's not all blood, sex, and killing. However, these aren't really video games by our standards. They're just wastes of time you participate in while bored at work. The problem is the crossover that's been happening thanks to the success of Wii. People are buying it just for Wii Sports. They aren't buying it as a video game console, but rather a toy that can play a game. These aren't the kinds of people who go through all the training events trying to Platinum them (I'm at 8 events platinumed now!). They just play every so often (once or twice a week) and use it as party entertainment. That's the modern casual gamer. Real gamers hate these people. Why? Wii has so much potential, but the current developers don't seem to care for the real gamers anymore. The "casual" market is so huge now that hordes of mini-games and ****ty wastes of time are coming out on the console, which clouds the development of our kind of game. Thanks to the casual gamer, it's become a possibility that the gaming scene as we know it will no longer exist in a few years' time.

Summary: Casual gamers are ruining the gaming scene. I very much dislike them.

And Korny, as a moderator, I have to tell you to stop postwhoring. Nothing you have said benefits this discussion whatsoever.

As a user, I'm ignoring what you're saying. You're far too biased to care about anything I say in the first place. At least l2 will have a real discussion with me.

Last edited by Squeek; 02-12-2008 at 11:25 PM..
Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 PM   #1988
Relambrien
FFR Player

I figured my point would come across. As I'm sure you've noticed by now, I rely a lot on implications and intended meanings when I communicate, because my language use is such that my interpretation can be very different from another's. I'll ask you to try and look for what I mean when you read my posts, rather than the face value of what I say, because it probably means something different to you than it does to me.

Also, unrelated, but I love the new sig quote. Sounds like something out of Whose Line, Weird Newcasters.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #1989
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

You say I'M biased? THE HYPOCRACY! Go to smashboards if you're really interested in understanding what these people are trying to explain to you. Smashboards. The super smash brothers community website.

Last edited by korny; 02-12-2008 at 11:46 PM..
Old 02-14-2008, 01:06 AM   #1990
Telvanni_guard
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Telvanni_guard Send a message via MSN to Telvanni_guard

How about you start adding things that improve discussions, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by korny
It's safe to assume he won't get good at this game anyway.

Awww he's still holding a grudge against his incapabilities and thinks that people need to use glitches to show him how much skill he lacks. How sad

Awww you too afro ?

Sqeks at it again lolol

You're talking about squeek relambrien. HE WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.
Because your last few posts have been retarded as hell.

Last edited by Telvanni_guard; 02-14-2008 at 01:22 AM..
Telvanni_guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:25 AM   #1991
Telvanni_guard
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Telvanni_guard Send a message via MSN to Telvanni_guard

Casuals v Gamers v Competatives

Casuals just pick up a game, and play it for a while then return it. Hardly getting into the game very much and prefer renting rather than owning. There are some that are loose with their wallets though and will buy instead or renting. The ones that are owned are played in short terms.

Gamers pick up a game and play it to get their moneys worth. They usually only pick up games they know they're like and will play it until it's completion. After is a coin flip. They will probably play it again but it really depends on the game on how long the stints are they play them.

Competitives pick up a game with the intent to dominate everyone. They play to win and use the single player as if they are playing against real people. It's rare to ever see one of these gamers rent a game.

In order to figure out which you are, cross these. Such as:

Competative Gamer - These are in it for the multiplayer aspect. There's a chance of them getting into the hard competition, but it's more for just plain fun. They play the single player and the multiplayer quite regularly, though the single player will fall off once completed. Gamers like this usally go for replay in their games.

Casual Gamer - Have you ever seen that guy who will buy a game, and return it.. then buy it again? That's this guy. They're playing for the moment. Whatever interests them, they will buy and play, get bored and return. If they get the urge to play it again, they will go out and buy it. They're not a big fan on renting and usually avoid it. (Portable games go well with this type.)

Casual Competative - There's really only one thing these people care about. Leaderboards. They want to be on the top of the leaderboards. Not really for all time, they just want to get their name up there, then give up on it for a while, come back later and prove themselves again. Since most games don't have a leaderboard, these gamers are probably one of the hard to find ones and in my guess would be the most rare.

Casual Competative Gamers - There's probably a way to describe these people, but I just can't think of it right now. Maybe another time.

Yeah yeah. There's always someone who falls outside the mold. Even Timmy/Johnny/Spike got a new guy in it.
Telvanni_guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:52 AM   #1992
Aleste
stating the obvious.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Aleste Send a message via MSN to Aleste

ROFL

Squeek. So sig'd. By the way, you're an admin now, Correct? couldn't we just whittle this thread down to what it has really been?

tl;dr

"Wavedashing is srs bsns"
"no ur not good at dis game"
"uh wait, i'm better than you"

So, Tails makes a cameo! i actually have never heard of this silver character. :/

Last edited by Aleste; 02-14-2008 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: lulz
Aleste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #1993
Hylian
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Hylian

I have played brawl.

A lot.

I even entered the first sponsered Brawl tournament in texas .

Ask me anythinggg.

Hylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #1994
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Now this is a glitch.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/14/a-...-brawl-glitch/

But again, it's not practical at all. And people are kinda going to figure out what's going on.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #1995
Matthew4444
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Matthew4444

Nice hat.

But yeah, I don't see that one getting used much at all. I imagine that they could easily ban the move from tournaments, simply because of how consciously it has to be performed.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #1996
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylian View Post
I have played brawl.

A lot.

I even entered the first sponsered Brawl tournament in texas .

Ask me anythinggg.
well i got some questions.

1. is marth stronger, and faster like some people say and also are his moves the same?? does he float more or something?
2. how do you select the song of a stage.. do you have to select it manually or you can just put "random song" in some stages?
3. any good or bad changes you can tell us about?

good thing they put that sonic the hedgehog stage..i hope they make a remixed version of sonic the hedgehog music.

as for jigglipuff glitch is kinda funny XD.

Last edited by zidart; 02-14-2008 at 03:51 PM..
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #1997
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

That Jigglypuff video was hilarious. Now I can annoy my cousins even more with her huge size.

*edit*: 2000th post on the thread. Woo!
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #1998
Loyal2Death
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidart View Post
well i got some questions.

1. is marth stronger, and faster like some people say and also are his moves the same?? does he float more or something?
2. how do you select the song of a stage.. do you have to select it manually or you can just put "random song" in some stages?
3. any good or bad changes you can tell us about?

good thing they put that sonic the hedgehog stage..i hope they make a remixed version of sonic the hedgehog music.

as for jigglipuff glitch is kinda funny XD.
I spoke to my friend who played it in the dorms. He said Marth is exactly the same and still awesome. But the second part of your question applies to everyone. EVERYONE is floatier to combat forever returns. Basically everyone has a shot to return to the stage now.

Overall I've heard only positives

Are you Loyal?
Nows the time to choose
Die and be free of pain.
Or live and fight your sorrow.
Loyal2Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #1999
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Marth is not the exact same. Chain grabbing is even easier than before. There are some other things to that have added to his gameplay but i can't recall what they are at this point in time.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #2000
Loyal2Death
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Not by his moveset, but his effectiveness is what he meant. I realize that they made alterations to the over-b and the shield breaker. I figured that as common knowledge to those who read this thread is all.

Are you Loyal?
Nows the time to choose
Die and be free of pain.
Or live and fight your sorrow.
Loyal2Death is offline   Reply With Quote