Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
_Adrian_
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to _Adrian_ Send a message via MSN to _Adrian_ Send a message via Yahoo to _Adrian_ Send a message via Skype™ to _Adrian_
Lightbulb Hard Drive Question

Ok, so I have this computer since last year in September, it came with Windows XP Home Edition, it had 230g and a 5g hard drive (250g on box), I reinstalled and put Windows XP Professional, I have one hard drive which is only 127g.

Where is the rest? Hope I didn't lose it.
Full Combos: 360+
_Adrian_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
TheBoneIII
FFR Player

Default Re: Hard Drive Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Adrian_ View Post
Ok, so I have this computer since last year in September, it came with Windows XP Home Edition, it had 230g and a 5g hard drive (250g on box), I reinstalled and put Windows XP Professional, I have one hard drive which is only 127g.

Where is the rest? Hope I didn't lose it.
This needs an edit... anyway, it would seem that the most obvious problem is that XP Professional takes up more space than Home Edition, but that does seem like a pretty large difference. Whatever, at least you didn't get Vista.

TheBoneIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:05 AM   #3
jecht3009046
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

XP Pro might take up all of a gig more than home, so that clearly has nothing to do with the problem. Are you sure you don't have all your other files backed up on the hard drive? That's the only explanation I have for you. It does seem like the space available is close to the average of space available for the 2 drives. 230+5= 235. 235/2 = 117.5. Meh, but then XP Pro takes up, we'll say, 10 gigs, so that would leave 225 open, which div. by 2 is 112.5, which is even further from the said 127 gigs. Well, that's all I know. If none of those are the case, then I'm really lost.
jecht3009046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:47 AM   #4
agent000_77
FFR Player

you have 1 hard drive which is 250gb(said you had 2, but those were partitions off of one). It was partitioned by someone else at an earlier time. Now, after you have reinstalled windows, you reformatted your hard drive, which erased all partitions(explains why you see only one hard drive) and, you have forgotten to install the large disk patch for XP. Without it, your computer hits a wall at 137gb.

BTW, XP pro usually has the patch with service pack 1, did you install with an earlier version? If you installed with an earlier version, you will not have Large disk support(yet!)

If you are okay around computers there are ways to do this. Here is the quickest in my opinion

1. You need to download all of your xp updates. ALL OF THEM!

2. Go HERE and scroll down a bit until you see Data Lifeguard Tools 11.2 for Windows with a download button near it. Click it, download the program (save it to your base drive i.e. "C:\"), and install the program when it is done downloading.(should be called setup.exe)

3. If datalifeguard tools has not been started already, you need to do so now.

4. from the main menu, choose utilities.

5. From the next menu choose "partition unallocated space"

6.after the program is finished, restart your computer.

7. You should now see 2 hard drives in My Computer

If this doesn't work, we will have to work out a different solution(there are more don't worry, this one is just the easiest.!)
agent000_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
_Adrian_
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to _Adrian_ Send a message via MSN to _Adrian_ Send a message via Yahoo to _Adrian_ Send a message via Skype™ to _Adrian_

ok thx
Full Combos: 360+
_Adrian_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
boondocks77
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Either way, i dont see the big deal, 127 GB is MORE than you will use, trust me.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocks77 View Post
Either way, i dont see the big deal, 127 GB is MORE than you will use, trust me.
It really depends on his downloading habits. You can't say 127 GB is more than he'll ever use. If he downloads a lot of space-consuming files, he WILL use it. Quickly.