Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-7-2013, 09:38 PM   #81
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Daily Music Reviews (Summer Challenge)

Day 41: Donuts by J Dilla (Album Choice: Lord of Sushi)

For the last album of this streak, I went with an instrumental hip-hop album. Sort of cheating but whatever. J Dilla was a hip-hop producer and rapper who was (according to many) fairly influential on hip-hop production. He died in 2006 of Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (a blood disease). This was his last album, released 3 days before his death, recorded mostly in a hospital using a sampler and stack of records. I'll be doing at least a brief comparison to Nujabes, since they're always compared for having the exact same birthday, making very good beats and being dead. And on a bright note, I recently upgraded from two dollar headphones to five dollar ones! Now, onto the music.

Only one track is above 2 minutes, but there are 31 tracks. That's a lot of beats. But such short lengths are probably a good idea. Such a rapid-fire approach allows him to get a lot of ideas through the course of an average-length album, and never does the album feel draining (at least not, holy crap, I'm already 11 tracks in?) partly thanks to the short length of each song. Had these songs been extended unnecessarily (or to make them the length of an average rap song) they might have felt repetitive. Instead, each track feels like a piece of a large suite, and while I wouldn't say the tracks flow perfectly into each other they do compliment each other well. The main flaw in such an approach is that I believe I'll need to listen to this more than once to fully wrap my head around this album, but that's okay. If anything I'll say my first thoughts and go back to it again (is that cheating?). On the beats themselves, for the most part they're heavily sample-based (duh) and that's done very well especially considering the limitations of the recording process. Throughout the entire album you can often hear the crackle of vinyl, reminding you of the recording set-up consisting mainly of vinyl records (and a sampler). And the samples themselves are mixed very well, sometimes left basically untouched, other times chopped and screwed so much they're completely unrecognizable (not that I know many of the records being sampled here). I'm also fond of the fact that it begins on Donuts (Outro) and begins on Donuts (Intro). Gives it a book close-and-open feeling (since they contain the same sample at the end/entire track) and gives me a reason to listen to it on loop, which is something I feel I should do soon.

Obligatory comparison to Nujabes that I promised. This guy is a lot less jazz-based and his slapdash approach is different from the instrumentals on Metaphorical Music which were considerably less energetic and more instrument-based rather than samples. Whereas Nujabes gave me a lounge-y, chillout feeling these beats seem more energetic, more party-like. Overall I'm drifting towards Nujabes but like I said, I want to give this album more time so I can fully wrap my head around this. This is an album that is begging for multiple listens.

So, yeah, I liked this album, quite a bit. However, the approach to tracks here means there's a lot to wrap your head around in such a short time, almost like an aural overload. The whole thing seems like a suite almost, as if it's begging to be listened to in one sitting. I wouldn't mind if this was released as one long 45 minute track (similar to Lysol by the Melvins or Delirium Cordia by Fantomas) because I'm pretty sure this album is meant to be listened to in such a way. Then again, I could be wrong considering individual beats were re-used later on. Either way, I'll give this a recommendation and sooner or later I'll come back to this and see how my opinion changes over several listens.

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2013, 09:47 PM   #82
rayword45

Day 42: The White Apple by Of Verona (Album Choice: SkullDevil217)

Correct formatting is of Verona, actually. One thing I've never really tried to understand is all the bands with of (insert word(s)) as their name, like of Montreal, of Mice And Men, and there are more that I can't remember right now. I don't understand the point of this, it just makes formatting look stupider. Also, these bands all vary in quality so I have no expectations low or high for this album. This band is described as electro pop and art rock. Neither are genres I am particularly fond of nor are they genres I have a huge disdain for. Yep, no expectations what so ever.

This voice reminds me of some other band but I can't put my finger on it. Let's see if I remember. Also this first track seems way more accessible than any "art rock" album I've ever heard. Also I'm obviously not sure if this first track is too similar to the next few tracks, but if it is, the weakest point is songwriting because these lyrics seem like any generic love song. 4 tracks in, Dark In My Imagination kicks the ass of any other song thus far, solely due to it's darker sound. Mildly darker sound. In fact I shouldn't call it a stand-out, I just like it a tad bit more. The title track, The White Apple, is the longest track on the album and as someone who (like usual) hasn't been paying attention, I like it. This is an actual standout track for me, it starts kinda ballady (or did it, I kinda forgot) but as I drifted out, somehow I got a circus-y sound in my ears, back to ballads. I don't mean circus in a goofy way, that's the only way I can describe it though. The last track is the second longest song and... It's quite similar to every other electro pop track here. I didn't have much to write about this album nor did I have much time, I've got a plane to catch in the early morning tomorrow.

Since I should sleep soon, I shall summarize my thoughts quickly. I like this girl's voice, and the electronic backing isn't bad at all (I also like how the drums rumble in the background). My main problems would be with the lyrics, which seem all like fairly bland love poems (I'm not looking very deep into this), and the fact that the whole album doesn't really have any moments of mindblowingly amazing bits. That's a common problem with me it seems, but that's what I say. The whole thing streams through without much more besides similar-to-each-other electro pop tracks (with a bit of glitch or rock here and there) and some ballads. Nothing to really break the mold here. The melodies are good though, this isn't a bad album at all.

And if I didn't write enough today, I'm going to deliberately choose a longass album tomorrow (which I have not done yet) to kill time while on a plane.

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
Old 08-9-2013, 11:00 PM   #83
rayword45

Day 43: This Binary Universe by BT (AlbumChoice: Crazyjayde, noname219)

I partially lied yesterday. I said I would choose a long album to kill plane time, but the loudass engine means it wasn't exactly a good spot for audio analysis. Maybe if I spent money on noise canceling headphones instead of going to Five Below. But anyways, I'll stick to half my word and choose an album over 70 minutes. This is 75 minutes of ambient glitch and orchestra music. One thing I've realized is the difficulty of reviewing electronic albums. You can't typically comment on lyrics and songwriting, you have to focus a bit more than mindless/in-your-face rock music and you can't mock the band players' lack of skill. Oh well. Before I started reviewing things, 10 minute plus tracks seemed a bit more daunting. But now I've reviewed songs from 25-63 minutes, making this seem a bit more accessible. Since I've gone from Eastern to Central time that's about an extra hour of time to slack off and then rush!

This album is meant to be heard in surround sound but I'm listening in stereo. I've listened to Zaireeka mixdowns so I'm assuming this isn't too much of a problem. The first 2 tracks begin similarly (start with ambient soundscapes, add glitch noises and build from there) but they sound quite different (something I wasn't entirely expecting) as neither track is quite repetitive (something I definitely wasn't expecting). Through the addition of orchestra and heavily manipulated instruments and toy sounds there's a lot of turns and changes throughout each track. Dynamic Symmetry for example with ambience layered with glitch, but gets more and more complex, and then it morphs somewhere around 6 minutes into jazzy big band, then hip-hop beats, then breakbeat! It may just be the drums because I'm surrounded by noisy relatives but it sure sounds different. And The Internal Locus features the orchestra that was somewhat absent before, then turns into industrial, then dark ambient. I'm surprised how much shift is in this music, though the emotion stays fairly bleak throughout (that's actually a good thing, remaining static). Interestingly, the longest track, See You On The Other Side, seems to be the one with the least amount of variety, consisting mostly of the usual ambience and glitch with toybox and piano with guitar patterns occasionally strutting in. This isn't to say there isn't variety, which there is such as when the bass thickens around eleven minutes in, but it seems a tad bit simpler. And because I always comment on the final track like the unoriginal lazyass I am, I take back whatever I said about simplest track. This is a very barebones track, piano and oceanic sounds. It's a very relaxing, fitting closer. What a bland sentence.

So I did end up choosing a long album yet I didn't say much about it at the end, mostly due to noise from relatives. Nonetheless, I give this a full recommendation. I'm either fooling myself or there are a lot of influences in this music, jazz, breakbeat, Indie rock, orchestral, experimental, industrial, neo-classical, and the ones listed on Wikipedia. And film score music, I didn't mention that this guy did some film scores in the intro. The lushly textured instrumentation and orchestra and complex, shifting song structures make this a very interesting listen that's surprisingly accessible despite not having a single song that's short enough to fit on a 45. I want to watch the short films that are meant to accompany this release to see what they're like and how they compliment the music. And I want to listen to it in surround sound, same with Zaireeka.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #84
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

OH CAN I RECOMMEND MORE AMBIENT MUSIC.

La Barca by Tomas Koner. Wonderful mix of field recordings and ambiance.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #85
rayword45

Please, recommend some fucking albums

Day 44: The Hass Effect by Electrocado (Album Choice: smartdude1212)

I don't feel like writing much today, yet I chose a longer album again. Oh well.*Electrocado is two guys from Sydney, Australia who mix together all*sorts of electronic music together like breaks, glitch, psytrance and ambient. More importantly, they have a very clear affinity for avocados, as shown by*their band name, album name and artwork. To be honest, with song names like*The Lo-Fi Blues and The Jolly Frog I was hoping for something more*along the lines of Beck or Ween, but hey, at least it isn't*crunkcore! This was another free download at their Bandcamp, so I can safely say that if I don't like this album I still recommend you give it a shot.

Well, after what I pretty much completely expected out of the first track*(avocado references and at least two electronic genres, in this case ambient and glitch) I'm happy to report that The Lo-Fi Blues is at least partially accurate in its title, which features a beat-up sounding acoustic guitar in the beginning that is manipulated a few times throughout the song. Does that qualify as folktronica? (Plectrum, on the other hand, contains nothing that makes me think of a plectrum except maybe staccato sounds.) Other then that, it's mostly bass-heavy electro music. And I'm drifting towards track-by-track so let me stop while I'm ahead. The majority of*this album seems to be mostly made up of electro and glitch hop (or whatever*bass-heavy genre I'm not listing that doesn't end with "step") with maybe a few things thrown in to spice it up. It pretty much succeeds in both aspects for the most part, though to be honest a few tracks can get a tad bit repetitive (as is the nature of many types of electronic music). One thing I like is the usage of manipulated vocal samples about avocados. Because I'm hungry, and it makes the music sound as if they aren't taking themselves too seriously. And 12 Oz. Mouse samples both furthers that thought and increased the awesome factor (though I don't understand why they would call this track The Jolly Frog instead of something about mice or sharks). And SGC2C too! The amount of respect has gone through the roof. Yet I have nothing else to say, and no real comments on the last track. This may be the worst review I've done thus far.

This might be the worst review I've done thus far. So let's conclude it with some padding. Today I played a Pump It Up machine for the first time in many, many years. It's a load of fun but I suck really bad because there are pretty much no machines in Massachusetts. I also saw a bunch of redneck chicks fail at DDR and that's my mini-review of Tilt
Arcade in some crappy Houston mall. This album is one I can't comment much on. I enjoyed it for the main show of electro music and the genre shifts, but mostly for the [adult swim] references. I'll give this a recommendation, which gets bonuses because you can download it for free.

And I think my review of Until The Quiet Comes was much worse.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #86
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

plis review my album :'(

I decay into a spiral of unending sadness every day this isnt reviewed

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...8&postcount=59
Coolboyrulez0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #87
GammaBlaster
FFR Player

I've got a few suggestions:

Frog Pocket - Gonglot
Tapage - Fallen Clouds
TechDiff - The Black Dog Released
Entity Netlabel - Vortex
GammaBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #88
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
OH CAN I RECOMMEND MORE AMBIENT MUSIC.

La Barca by Tomas Koner. Wonderful mix of field recordings and ambiance.
approved
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #89
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Koner gives boner, good stuff indeed.

I haven't seen these reviewed so I'll recommend:

-Nothing Lasts, But Nothing Is Lost by Shpongle
-Tryshasla by Secede
-We Stay Together by Andy Stott

Really solid reviews all around so far by the way. Enjoying it

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #90
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyrulez0 View Post
Please Review Classical Mushroom by Infected Mushroom. Probably THE psytrance album. Would love your opinion on it.
+1 infected mushroom... unf
<3
Old 08-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #91
rayword45

Day 45: Not Even Once by Approaching Nirvana (Album Choice: .:A-MAN:.)

Not grunge music. Originally, my plan was to do 69 Love Songs on the plane ride back to Boston, but I ended up listening to a few songs rendering that null. And besides the noise level was way too high. This album could easily qualify as marathon length as well with 34 tracks, and this has half as many tracks (though it isn't too different in total length). This is the third electronic album in a row (streak?) so I fear I may be a bit burnt out. This is made worse by the fact that around 40% of the tracks are extended cuts and instrumentals, which sound unnecessary and are what bring this album into triple album length.. This will NOT be the most comprehensive review of this album, I'm fairly sure of that.

Also it's around 8:45 here in Houston, which means I barely have enough time for this album. Thank god for time zones or I'd have .:A-MAN:. begging for this review another few days. Well, he actually stopped.

Start with piano in the first track and female vocals. And overall there seems to be a big emphasis on synthesizers. Jesus Christ what am I supposed to write? When getting into an artist, I rarely think a double album is the best starting point, let alone a triple album is a good starting point even if it is their best work (case in point: The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Husker Du). I definitely will be burnt out after today and I'm gonna need a different kind of album tomorrow. But yeah, there's a lot of trance and prog house here. And by a lot, I mean 2.7 hours. There's also some DnB and bass-heavy electro (I refuse to say dubstep), along with tracks based around soundscapes and piano and such. And when they add vocals, it turns into electro pop (which is often not to my tastes but oh well). I'm obliged to comment on the last (non-reprise) track, it sounds kinda Japanese. That's it. I'm not commenting on these extended cuts and instrumentals I'm just gonna let these play for a bit of time.

Well, I have no time left. This wasn't a very substantial review either (despite being the longest album yet). I like the music here, but a triple album won't hold most people's focus very easily. I think I should've went with a shorter album today. Regardless, this is a good collection of tracks, I just wish it was a bit more concise.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #92
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

recommending:

- Castle Talk by Screaming Females
- Introducing by Foxy Shazam
- Surfing the Void by Klaxons
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #93
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

More recommendations?

Hiromi's Sonicbloom - Time Control
The Flashbulb - Soundtrack to a Vacant Life
65daysofstatic - The Fall of Math
Atomhead - Spiral Field Velocity 1.0
Fabrizio Paterlini - Autumn Stories
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #94
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Tryshasla, yisss
Old 08-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #95
rayword45

Day 46: Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy by The Refreshments (Album Choice: Mobias)

At some point, I was planning to review America's Funnyman by Neil Hamburger, but there were two problems with that. One, that's a very bizarre style of humor which would make reviewing it awkward. And two, it's not really music. Comedy ROCK, on the other way, is still music, which gives me a bit more leeway here. Apparently, these guys had one hit single from this album with Banditos but I've never listened to it. Instead, I know The Refreshments solely from the theme song to King of the Hill, and I'm not sure that's a good example of these guys since they're described as post-grunge/jangle pop whereas I always thought of that theme song as southern rock or something (maybe it was a bit jangly?). Comedy rock (or at least satirical/goofy music) is often awesome stuff, like Ween, Dead Milkmen (jangle punk! Right?) and They Might Be Giants. On the other hand, I don't really like post-grunge. But since it's comedy that means less whiny crap! And here we go.

Again, how is this grunge? Clean(er) guitars, clean vocals, not enough teenage angst as far as I can tell and the dynamics are quite flat (I guess the "fuzzy" part of the name was just a name after all! Ha ha my jokes suck). But that may as well be a good thing in this case, the Dead Milkmen is what I sort of think of, only because they were described as comedy (I'm not focusing enough on the lyrics to tell) and I get a bit of a cowpunk/desert rock sound from here. I'm still failing to see the comedy bit after 3 tracks, a good amount of these tracks sound kinda like loser love anthems, or at least "your basic alternative band". There's a bit of wit in the lyrics but nothing is quite laugh out loud funny. Supposedly European Swallow was supposed to be one of the funnier tracks but I guess I wasn't paying attention because I didn't laugh once, the song itself wasn't bad though, a bit of a classic rock sound with the high amounts of wah and distortion. Songs like Don't Wanna Know sound sad and contemplative, and the lyrics don't seem to have any jokes whatsoever. It doesn't sound whiny though, which I was expecting with the post-grunge tag. Girly is a country rock song about domestic abuse, and Down Together sounds very pop-rock with a non-abusive love song. The main single? Reminds me of a punkier Meat Puppets (excluding their debut of course), like a combo of Huevos and Up On The Sun. The guitar sounds like several other rock bands, you have the chugging chords of the rhythm guitar and a ringing lead guitar with some pretty good solos and a dash of country here and there. Not bad by any means, just nothing that makes me think of anything special. My own personal highlight would be Mexico, which bears no similarities to the Beck song, or the Jefferson Airplane track, or anything the Butthole Surfers ever made. This is what I view as closest to comedy rock, only because some instrumental parts sounded so "stereotypically Mexican" they made me snicker (lol Political Correctness), as well as the somewhat sophomoric lyrics of "found a hooker and lost my erection" and "drink warm beer". Maybe that's not funny in some countries but it is in America. The country really comes out on the last track, Nada, along with a strong blues influence. Or at least the intro, I wrote that prematurely. Nope, there's still a very bluesy influence to this track (and again, I don't see the comedy). And wow, look at this wall of text! I'm glad I had access to a computer for once (which I will lose soon).

Man, that comedy tag was really misleading. There was some wit to the lyrics but nothing else really humorous (except Mexico), so if it is "comedy rock" it's very understated. I mean the majority of the songs were about girls or Mexico, and while both could be used for comedy neither really were (again, except for one song). I find more humor in several artists that aren't described as comedy rock like Beck, and Mr. Bungle, and My Bloody Valentine. Regardless of that though, this album wasn't bad at all. I'll continue with that punkier Meat Puppets idea but with a bit more jangle and college rock and less marijuana/acid. Truthfully, at the end, I did get a bit of that dreaded post-grunge sound but the lyrics weren't whiny and the song structures weren't quite as predictable. That gives it a boost in my book. Since it didn't really feel like it was dragging on after 54 minutes, I'll give this a thumbs up. I kinda picture this as drinking music but I'm not entirely sure since I don't exactly drink (What? You think I'm gonna incriminate myself on the internet? Hell to the no.)

Old 08-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #96
rayword45

Day 47: Classical Mushroom by Infected Mushroom (Album Choice: Coolboyrulez0 with a +1 from Ohaider)

After reviewing a fairly traditional rock album I'm hoping that I'm no longer burnt out on electronic music. What we have here is two Israeli dudes making psychedelic trance music with various different ingredients to the music. Guess from the title what special aspect this album adds? That's right! Black metal! I got another extra long album here (with dated CGI on the album cover), 9 tracks totaling 74 minutes, but since I'm gonna be stuck in a car for over 4 hours maybe I'll be able to listen to this album twice. Or maybe I'll just listen to some Melvins instead. We'll see in a bit.

Also I couldn't find any information about the legality of psilocybin mushrooms in Israel. But considering weed is (weakly enforced but still) illegal there I assume it's not exactly smiled upon by their society.

After listening to The Pod and Geogaddi (but no Melvins) I've decided to give this a listen, and ultimately I've chosen to give this one two listens. Mainly because I think I have the time, I may be wrong though. In order to conserve battery, I won't write much the first time around. Then if I listen to it twice I'll write more that time. If not I'll just go off of what I heard.

First listen, and halfway into the second song we've driven past 5 different old white men on the highway with assloud motorcycles, making listening not as easy. Tracks one and three put a smile to my face (and in my brain) with the very dance-y beats as well as the guitar in the first track. The classical/black metal music aspect does show up at times (particularly in None Of This Is Real and The Missed Symphony) but not as much as I thought and I don't remember the names of any of the pieces I recognize. Having just reached the fifth track, these songs aren't dragging on at all yet I'm surprised I'm only at the midpoint. I have no idea what to make of that. Said fifth track, Disco Mushroom, is probably the darkest track yet. Ironic name since nothing grooves here. The vocals in Dracul are freaking awesome as well as the intro to Nothing Comes Easy. And 74 minutes have passed.

So that's the end of my first listen through. I'm gonna let my brain absorb everything for a few minutes, then listen to something different. I'll go back to the album after we make a stop. I should charge my phone and I need to pee.

Second listening, and my opinion on the first track hasn't changed much, even without old bikers in the background. It seems a bit darker and a bit more melancholy, but the bassy sound is what captures most of my attention and the darker sound may just be the altered atmosphere (it's raining now). None Of This Is Real, on the other hand, is way different from what I remember, and I'm convinced that I mixed it up with Bust A Move as there's far less classical (though not none) and more rock music, with several guitar parts used in the track. Sailing In The Sea Of Mushroom is every bit as danceable as before, but also a tad bit more repetitious. Still not bad by any means though! The Shen reminds me of spy film music for a moment, then later just sounds like dark trance with a lot of samples and cool effects and such. And is it me or is Disco Mushroom a much more aquatic track than the third one? Or at least the beginning is, then we get some dark chant then I don't know what with bells, synths and creepy behind a syncopated beat before we get a speed-up and lots of ideas are cleanly meshed together, the whole thing remaining dark throughout. Disco my ass... Wait, I'm supposed to avoid track by track, right? Let me stop myself.

And again we have reached the end of 74 or so minutes of psytrance. New observations is I actually focused a bit more on the status and guitars and such, and I noticed a slightly darker sound overall and a lot more acid. It was still dark the first listen through, just even moreso the second time. My personal highlight would be Bust A Move and my main nitpicky problem with the album is the ordering of the tracks, as nothing reached the same magic as the first track or two (though Disco Mushroom and The Missed Symphony both come pretty close). Regardless of said nitpicking, this is a pretty great album, with nine long tracks each loaded with ideas that blend perfectly and very little dragging on during the (long) album. I just realized that thumbs up is a rating in and out of itself so I'm gonna avoid saying that. But from this paragraph you can easily see my opinion of this album (and the fact that I just admit to avoiding using thumbs up).

Old 08-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #97
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 View Post
More recommendations?

Hiromi's Sonicbloom - Time Control
The Flashbulb - Soundtrack to a Vacant Life
65daysofstatic - The Fall of Math
Atomhead - Spiral Field Velocity 1.0
Fabrizio Paterlini - Autumn Stories
+1 for all of them. Especially Hiromi's Sonicbloom <3

James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #98
rayword45

Day 49: Good and Evil by Tally Hall (Album Choice: Silvuh)

More pop music. Tally Hall is a power pop band that went from some indie label to Atlantic for ONE REISSUE back to some indie label. Their music is described as wonky, uplifting, upbeat and all that crap. Pop with those descriptors can range from bubblegummy and smile-inducing (like most good power pop) to bubblegummy and sickening (like The Archies and I feel someone will get mad at me for saying that). It all depends on how much you chew. For all I know this may not even be bubblegum but it sure sounds like it. I have one hour to review 48 minutes of music. That means this is all written in real time and rushed.

And this isn't quite bubblegum. I'd liken this more to psychedelic pop than bubblegum. The layering instruments and slightly echoed vocals in the first track harken back to all those 60s psychedelic pop classics like later Beatles, when they started taking acid (hell, their picture on Wikipedia has them all wearing matching clothing and moustaches. Can someone say "RIPOFF!"? Or is that me just being an idiot.) And the way Ampersand cuts off at the end screams psychedelia. I had to type out Ampersand because some websites screw up when I use the actual character. Not everything makes me think of drug music, for example Cannibal reminds me quite a bit of New Pornographers solely because they're probably the only damned power pop band on my phone at the moment. Then right after we have Who Are You and HOLY CRAP THOSE ACOUSTICS ARE TRIPPY. *By the time we're at tracks seven to nine I have the urge to lay on the carpet of my hotel room because I played too much Supernova at the crappy arcade in this casino hotel and psychedelic music makes me want to sprawl on the ground and go off into tangents. But I have to finish this review so I have to type out these tangents. And besides, once I'm done with this tangent we hit the rocker Turn The Lights Off so I no longer feel like sprawling on the ground. The remainder of the album is more psychedelic power pop with a hint of space rock here and there and one piano-based song. The last track is especially spacey, as it builds up in layers then goes bare again, and it starts out SLOW AS HELL. It's also the longest track at around 7 minutes.

Okay, gotta finish this quick. Did I like this album? Yes, these guys know good melody and psychedelic aspects of music. I have two problems with the album though. First off is occasionally, especially towards the first half, I felt a bit burnt out for some reason. Maybe it was too sugary, maybe it was dragging on, I don't know. The problems went away by track 7 though. I also felt as if many of the tracks were lacking something, many songs felt either too simplistic or weren't 100 percent memorable. But either way, I liked this album quite a bit. And the end holy shit gotta copy and paste and post.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #99
rayword45

A notice for days 50-52

I won't have internet access on those days unless I pay some bullshit fee for internet slower than dial-up. Pass. Luckily, I convinced the person whom I made the original bet with to give me a pass as long as I write on each day with some sort of evidence for those days only.

In case you're wondering, the argument consisted of saying "bitch ass ***** I have better stuff to do on a cruise ship then write" on Facebook.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #100
rayword45

A notice for days 50-52

I won't have internet access on those days unless I pay some bullshit fee for internet slower than dial-up. Pass. Luckily, I convinced the person whom I made the original bet with to give me a pass as long as I write on each day with some sort of evidence for those days only.

In case you're wondering, the argument consisted of saying "bitch ass ***** I have better stuff to do on a cruise ship then write" on Facebook.