Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #161
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Default Re: Atheism/Theism thread

Some mormon missionaries came to my house today. I was still half asleep when I talked to them, but now I own a copy of the book of mormon. Time to read this beast.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #162
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

@ rushy: I agree blind-faith isn't justifiable. My faith is based on knowledge, truth, and feeling, not because I am loyal to a religious establishment or human authority but because i understand what God is. The meaning behind God's true essence and message is more important then the actual term "God". A word is just a word. I do not believe in forcing ideologies of any kind on anyone because not only is it wrong, but it's uneffective. People must come to an understanding themselves(voluntarily), only then will they reach a higher plane in life.

What i find fascinating about most atheists is that they claim to be so intelligent and so superior to everyone else when really, this couldn't be farther from the truth. Atheists look down on people because they put themselves on a pedestal. They have yet to surrender their ego. It seems that they have an insecurity with authority in general, not just a Godly-authority, but any authority for that matter. For this reason, it's harder for them to understand the importance of putting others before themselves. They don't believe in God because they do not understand God. They have not found God because they do not search for God. They might have searched at one point and gave up searching(maybe due to a drastic dissapointment or unfortunate experience in which they put blame onto God), or just don't care enough to do so. This doesn't mean that God does not exist inside of them. God exists in everyone. Do I think atheists are bad people? Absolutely not. Do I think they are currently lost? Absolutely.

I try my best not to judge others for what they believe or what they do, but when i understand a certain truth, it is my obligation as a 'good' human being to help and share this truth with others so that one day they may come to a realization for the better. I will share what I know and those who chose to listen, will do so. Those who chose not to listen, will do just that. This is everyones God-given right to freedom: freedom of choice. I will still love you either way because you are all my brothers and sisters.

Atheists are just one step behind because they look for 'what they think' is definitive evidence and 'their idea' of detailed science to answer all their questions and to fill their empty void. One day they will realize that all of it comes from God. God is the evidence and the science. Everything in all corners of every dimension within the universe was created by God. God is the ultimate Creator. When you become closer to God, the rest will fall into place and everything will make more sense to you.

I understand that atheists and theists are the same because they all came from the same source. We were created as equals and in Gods image with the incredible gift of free will. Free will is what creates the illusion of individualism and it is only through faith can you become one with the source. We will never know everything, and we were created that way, not to know everything. You can learn mass amounts of information every day, more so then the most knowledgable human on earth, and still you will only know but a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the amount of information known in the universe. This is why faith is not only beneficial, but necessary. Do not confuse blind-faith with knowledge-based faith. The good will come with the bad, as do the highs with the lows. Open your minds and you will see. Seek and you will find. Ask, and you shall recieve. Think with your minds and feel with your hearts. Then, will you be guided onto the path of the highest level of consciousness.

-I agree with everything Cavernio has said in posts #161 and #164 and she claims to be an atheist.

Last edited by JJTrixX; 02-16-2013 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: just finished reading Cavernios posts.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #163
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTrixX View Post
@ rushy: I agree blind-faith isn't justifiable. My faith is based on knowledge, truth, and feeling, not because I am loyal to a religious establishment or human authority but because i understand what God is. The meaning behind God's true essence and message is more important then the actual term "God". A word is just a word. I do not believe in forcing ideologies of any kind on anyone because not only is it wrong, but it's uneffective. People must come to an understanding themselves(voluntarily), only then will they reach a higher plane in life.

What i find fascinating about atheists is that they claim to be so intelligent and so superior to everyone else when really, this couldn't be farther from the truth. Atheists look down on people because they put themselves on a pedestal. They have yet to surrender their ego. It seems that they have an insecurity with authority in general, not just a Godly-authority, but any authority for that matter. For this reason, it's harder for them to understand the importance of putting others before themselves. They don't believe in God because they do not understand God. They have not found God because they do not search for God. They might have searched at one point and gave up searching(maybe due to a drastic dissapointment or unfortunate experience in which they put blame onto God), or just don't care enough to do so. This doesn't mean that God does not exist inside of them. God exists in everyone. Do I think atheists are bad people? Absolutely not. Do I think they are currently lost? Absolutely.

I try my best not to judge others for what they believe or what they do, but when i understand a certain truth, it is my obligation as a 'good' human being to help and share this truth with others so that one day they may come to a realization for the better. I will share what I know and those who chose to listen, will do so. Those who chose not to listen, will do just that. This is everyones God-given right to freedom: freedom of choice. I will still love you either way because you are all my brothers and sisters.

Atheists are just one step behind because they look for 'what they think' is definitive evidence and 'their idea' of detailed science to answer all their questions and to fill their empty void. One day they will realize that all of it comes from God. God is the evidence and the science. Everything in all corners of every dimension within the universe was created by God. God is the ultimate Creator. When you become closer to God, the rest will fall into place and everything will make more sense to you.

I understand that atheists and theists are the same because they all came from the same source. We were created as equals and in Gods image with the incredible gift of free will. Free will is what creates the illusion of individualism and it is only through faith can you become one with the source. We will never know everything, and we were created that way, not to know everything. You can learn mass amounts of information every day, more so then the most knowledgable human on earth, and still you will only know but a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the amount of information known in the universe. This is why faith is not only beneficial, but necessary. Do not confuse blind-faith with knowledge-based faith. The good will come with the bad, as do the highs with the lows. Open your minds and you will see. Seek and you will find. Ask, and you shall recieve. Think with your minds and feel with your hearts. Then, will you be guided onto the path of the highest level of consciousness.

-I agree with everything Cavernio has said in posts #161 and #164 and he claims to be an atheist.
Cavernio is a female.

ps

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #164
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

My apologies to Cavernio, I meant "she".

Choofers, what do you mean by "When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods..."?

I can't dismiss that which I do not fully understand. I have not studied any one religion to the fullest to be able to discredit or dismiss any God associated with it. I am a monotheist, and if multiple religions are also monotheisms, then maybe they all believe in the same God but worship that God a different way due to conflicting practices brought up by different cultures. People of different religions always dispute on the semantics of God because most religionists are loyal to their particular religion and aren't open to listen to other beliefs if it doesn't perfectly coincide with thier own. That's not to say that all people of that religion are this way. Nobody is perfect, so there will always be a handful of those that are part of a religion that do things the 'wrong way'. And because those 'wrong-doers' are associated with a particular religion, the naive put the blame of that one person onto the entire religion and make that religion look horrible or 'wrong'.

This going back to what Cavernio was saying, It isn't the religion that causes the deaths of countless people, but the people are the cause of their actions. Rushy also touched on this by mentioning that guns don't kill people, people kill people. This is exactly the case. The guns aren't to blame, for the guns are inanimate objects. The people who(with clouded moral judgment) used the guns to kill are to blame. Not to be funny but this why you never see a 9mm being prosecuted in a court of law stand trial before a judge waiting to be anounced its verdict. Instead, it is always the man or woman behind the shooting of the 9 mm that is put on trial.

Besides, all I have spoken on was the position of atheism and theism, which is the focus of this thread, is it not?

I believe, nay...I know a true theist is closer to the answer in life he/she is looking for then a true atheist is. Although neither is any better of a person then the other is.

Another thing to point out that we all can agree on is that atheists have much less restrictions then theists do. Think about that....i will expand on this statement upon request if need be
Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #165
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
My apologies to Cavernio, I meant "she".

Choofers, what do you mean by "When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods..."?

I can't dismiss that which I do not fully understand. I have not studied any one religion to the fullest to be able to discredit or dismiss any God associated with it. I am a monotheist, and if multiple religions are also monotheisms, then maybe they all believe in the same God but worship that God a different way due to conflicting practices brought up by different cultures.
Except you're understanding the quote backwards.

You're a Christian, so I'm assuming you believe in Yahweh? Why don't you believe in, say, Allah, or any Hindu gods? Is it because your faith requires you to believe in the single Christian god? Or is it for some other reason? And this works inversely for any other religion. If you believed in the Islamic god, you would not believe in the Christian god.

Not every monotheistic religion believes in the same god. If you were to walk to a Muslim and say that your Christian god is the same as their Islam god, they would most likely be offended.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #166
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
What i find fascinating about most atheists is that they claim to be so intelligent and so superior to everyone else when really, this couldn't be farther from the truth. Atheists look down on people because they put themselves on a pedestal. They have yet to surrender their ego. It seems that they have an insecurity with authority in general, not just a Godly-authority, but any authority for that matter.
I'd argue that this is totally wrong -- if atheists tend to get snippy, it's because they get fed up trying to argue with people who aren't interested in argument, or who argue that facts are just opinions and ignorance is as good as knowledge. It's not.

Lots of good points were offered to you earlier and you disregarded them completely. That's going to upset people who are interested in having an honest debate.

Quote:
For this reason, it's harder for them to understand the importance of putting others before themselves.
This couldn't be further from the truth, and if anything, there are plenty of cases of religion leading to extraordinarily levels of selfish justification and oppression of others (not to mention hypocrisy). Being an atheist doesn't prevent one from putting others before themselves because, again, we don't get our morals from any "God" but through purely secular means (as does everyone else in the end, whether they realize it or not).

I'd argue that if you're acting moral to others only because of your religion (as opposed to something intrinsic to simply getting along as fellow humans), that's a notch below ideal par.

Quote:
They don't believe in God because they do not understand God. They have not found God because they do not search for God. They might have searched at one point and gave up searching(maybe due to a drastic dissapointment or unfortunate experience in which they put blame onto God), or just don't care enough to do so. This doesn't mean that God does not exist inside of them. God exists in everyone. Do I think atheists are bad people? Absolutely not. Do I think they are currently lost? Absolutely.
They don't believe in God because there is no evidence for God, and the things you think God is needed to explain can actually be explained through better means. God is a logical construct we understand very well, and it poses some serious problems when it comes to the truth value of things. Again, read the link I posted earlier about the dragon.

Quote:
This argument is silly and I'm not even going to bother addressing it because I don't care enough -- but you say we're all created as equals in God's image. Does this imply you don't accept evolution or that Earth was formed via accretion?

Last edited by Reincarnate; 02-16-2013 at 10:53 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #167
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
Some mormon missionaries came to my house today. I was still half asleep when I talked to them, but now I own a copy of the book of mormon. Time to read this beast.
awesome dude i know some Elders right now that are serving in the Las Vegas west mission that were in my congregation from last year in DC. i can't remember their names though :/

this is probably what they are going to do now: since they planted a BoM on you (and probably gave a pass-along card that says mormon.org/faq on it too) they will come back again in like a week or so to follow up and ask if you read anything or have any questions

hopefully these guys are all star missionaries that have studied hard so they can answer all the tough questions you probably have as well as they can.

also protip: make them do service for you. sometimes during my mission my companion and i would get really bored while knocking doors and getting turned down that we started volunteering to mow lawns or to wash cars or something. even if the person wasn't interested in the message, we were still providing service and that's what was fun.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #168
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlp View Post
awesome dude i know some Elders right now that are serving in the Las Vegas west mission that were in my congregation from last year in DC. i can't remember their names though :/

this is probably what they are going to do now: since they planted a BoM on you (and probably gave a pass-along card that says mormon.org/faq on it too) they will come back again in like a week or so to follow up and ask if you read anything or have any questions

hopefully these guys are all star missionaries that have studied hard so they can answer all the tough questions you probably have as well as they can.

also protip: make them do service for you. sometimes during my mission my companion and i would get really bored while knocking doors and getting turned down that we started volunteering to mow lawns or to wash cars or something. even if the person wasn't interested in the message, we were still providing service and that's what was fun.
they actually came by to talk to my roommate, who is a member of the mormon church rofl. if I was more awake at the time, I would have talked to them but I woke up literally 10 minutes before they got there.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:30 AM   #169
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

Quote:
I believe, nay...I know a true theist is closer to the answer in life he/she is looking for then a true atheist is. Although neither is any better of a person then the other is.
And this is yet another completely baseless assumption. Can you please explain what is the meaning of life? Do you actually believe that there is a specific meaning for life - a meaning which you are already well aware of - and not one that people have to discover inside themselves, changing from person to person, based on their different experiences with life...? because for being someone who likes to follow the comforting stances of religion diktats, this is a pretty sad and massificating thought.

Quote:
Another thing to point out that we all can agree on is that atheists have much less restrictions then theists do. Think about that....i will expand on this statement upon request if need be
I'm not really getting what you want to say here, try to elaborate.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #170
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Atheists look down on people because they put themselves on a pedestal. They have yet to surrender their ego. It seems that they have an insecurity with authority in general, not just a Godly-authority, but any authority for that matter. For this reason, it's harder for them to understand the importance of putting others before themselves,
Quote:
Nobody is perfect, so there will always be a handful of those that are part of a religion that do things the 'wrong way'. And because those 'wrong-doers' are associated with a particular religion, the naive put the blame of that one person onto the entire religion and make that religion look horrible or 'wrong'.
I'm surprised that you would generalize atheists like this, but then in your next post talk about religious generalization as a bad thing. Your preconceived notions about how atheists act are not really much better than the generalizations others have against a various religion.

Atheism is nothing but a lack of a belief in a higher power, which in and of itself is just as harmless as theism. They are nothing but concepts, and everyone who has an opinion for a certain concept does not think the same way. It should be obvious to anyone that just because you have a stance on a certain idea, that everyone else who shares that similar stance is not a mere clone, and that judgements on people should be on a case by case basis. It really doesn't help either party to judge each other just by the beliefs they have on a single concept, if anything, it just pulls people apart.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #171
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollocephalus View Post

I'm not really getting what you want to say here, try to elaborate.
When you have less restriction, you give yourself more permission to do the immoral by justifying everything you do through self-authority. Humans are incapable of such responsibility because our very thought processes are tainted since birth. The word of God will always be more powerful and righteous than the word of man.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #172
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

lol, complete bullshit, dude
Old 02-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #173
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Oh God, this thread.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #174
BahamutZER0
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I didn't do any more than barely glancing at this page.

Whether or not a deity actually exists has no impact whatsoever on whether or not people choose to behave morally, which is what actually matters. All the other ambiguities about how you're going to define morality aside.

What that argument is actually about then is that believing in a deity (presumably, your deity in particular, in the general sense and not actually calling someone out) causes people to act morally. This is something akin to pascal's wager, where we should choose to believe something for utilitarian benefit.

As soon as you introduce the ambiguity of what is 'moral' into this question, all the problems with pascal's wager apply here. The easiest ones being: 1) belief is not a conscious choice, 2) utilitarian benefit to a belief does not render it true
Old 02-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #175
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Believing in a deity has been used as a justification for more immoral behaviour than enlightened self-interest ever did.

And even the positive moral choices that people adopt because of religion aren't being done out of a sense of understood rightness, they are being done because they have been threatened with damnation if they don't follow the rules.

Last edited by devonin; 02-17-2013 at 03:09 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #176
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

devonin cite your sources, I'm surprised at you
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #177
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Believing in a deity has been used as a justification for more immoral behaviour than enlightened self-interest ever did.

And even the positive moral choices that people adopt because of religion aren't being done out of a sense of understood rightness, they are being done because they have been threatened with damnation if they don't follow the rules.
THIS. Holy shit.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #178
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syhto View Post
devonin cite your sources, I'm surprised at you
If you need me to cite where Christianity threatens you with punishment if you don't follow the rules, you really have no business being in this thread.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #179
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

You have no business being in this thread if you're not thinking critically either Mr. Devonin, not all of christianity is even fire and brimstone, so maybe you should take your nose back to your theology books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #180
BahamutZER0
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

As an aside, the biblical depiction of heaven is p underwhelming