Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-5-2008, 04:16 PM   #141
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: Twilight.

Okay. Let's see here.

tha Guardians, tone it WAY back unless you want some trolling/flaming bans to the face. You're the veteran here, and I'd expect to not need to remind you of the rules before you follow them.

cherrygirl1223, you seem to be under some misapprehension about just how these forums work. If you post a thread saying "What do you think about X?" you simply cannot adopt the stance of "If you feel how I do, yay you're awesome, if you don't feel how I do, you're simply incorrect because it's not how I feel."

When someone lodges reasonable objections to your point of view, you have two choices: Pretend they don't exist, or respond to them with your own reasoned logic. Telling them they're idiots because they don't like it, or they aren't allowed to say that it is actually -bad- because in your -opinion- it is good, just doesn't work.

They are saying "In addition to not liking it, I think it is actually just bad because of A, B, C" If you can't actually address A, B or C in a meaningful way, then guess what, you've lost the argument.

This is especially true when the discussion is about books, and several of the posters are both avid readers and accomplished writers. Very few people in this thread have written as much or as well as Mal has, so he has a lot more credibility on the subject of what makes good writing than most of us. That doesn't mean he's right, or that you should not question him because he knows what he's talking about. It DOES mean that you can't just dismiss his objections and pretend they don't exist.

He raises several very good points about the potentially dangerous effect on young female culture a book like this would have, and the way that it simply plays in to ignorant juvenile fantasy where every girl wants to be a princess and live happily ever after the end, before they understand that life is pain, and anybody who tells you different is selling something. (And if you don't get that reference, you really shouldn't be talking about books -or- movies ever)

Point is, he's raised several informed and reasonable objections, and you've just started taking a tantrum that anybody would tell you that you're wrong.

As Mal said, you're breaking plenty of rules already. Completely independant of your actual point, if you persist in trolling and flaming other users who are posting legitimately, you will be banned.

You'll notice that I didn't include any personal opinion of Twilight into the discussion. I haven't read the books, I haven't seen the movie, and from all reports from anybody who has done either whose taste I respect, I don't intend to do either of those things. As a result, I'm not entering the discussion.

Let's all follow that shall we? If your only contribution to this thread is "I haven't seen the movie, but I bet it sucks" then Don't. Post. Here.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2008, 04:51 PM   #142
tha Guardians
MCDC 2011
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to tha Guardians Send a message via MSN to tha Guardians Send a message via Yahoo to tha Guardians

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
tha Guardians, tone it WAY back unless you want some trolling/flaming bans to the face. You're the veteran here, and I'd expect to not need to remind you of the rules before you follow them.
It's hard to resist.
She bugs the life out of me v.v'

If she makes an attempt to post rationally and maturely, this should be no problem for me.

If she persists acting the way she is, the ban very well may be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic-fast-fingers View Post
can someone clarrify what QFT means my friend told me its quit ****ing talking, but im not 100 percent sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I need a car that drives itself completely automated and I want it for free and it needs infinite gas mileage.

Cheers,

Synthlight
tha Guardians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2008, 05:33 PM   #143
STD_Sappy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to STD_Sappy Send a message via MSN to STD_Sappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
What?

I'll just point you right back to the smokers argument. It's bad for your health. It has been proven to give you cancer. But millions of people do it anyway. It boils down to personal choice in the matter. Those who don't smoke still know how harmful it is.

What we're running into here is more problematic. Reading Twilight, and considering it 'good' is not only harmful to yourself, as it is trashy, manipulative romance that runs around under the guise of chivalry, but harmful to society, as it says, 'these are the books we want to be reading, give us more domineering male characters and impotent females'. While you may not look at it like that, thinking, 'oh, it's just a book,' then think again. There are fans that go up to Robert Pattinson with cuts on their arms asking him to suck their blood because 'they were meant to be together'.

What's more is that the novel highlights a chaste relationship until book 4 - making the readers think that chastity is the way to go, which it may very well be, but they'll once again be waiting for a chaste, domineering man to make their decisions for them, and that's not how it's supposed to work. There is no equal partnership between Bella and Edward. He will forever - at least, until she vamped up - be superior to her. Always. Hell, even as a vampire he will be. There's nothing she can do. No place on earth she could if she decides she doesn't love him. And at the end of book 4, she's locked in. Eternity is an awfully long time, and you bet that he'd chase her down if she ever tried to leave.

I got side-tracked, so I apologize. These books aren't just books, they're detriments to society. When people acknowledge that the books are not good, just empty junk, then I'm fine with it. I really am. That's why I didn't tear in to the poster up there - she was well spoken and made her point. When people say that it's the best thing ever, the highlight of romance, well, that's when I want to hit them. They're delusional.

It is not romance. It is abuse. And it's a blight on contemporary literature - and even worse, it is shaping the minds of impressionable youths that read it.
You're not going to let this go, are you? I understand that YOU think Twilight is horrible, honestly, with all my heart, I understand that. I still think, if you're so confident with your judgment, let people find this out for themselves. Also, stop insulting people who enjoy reading the series, it makes your opinion less and less important. They obviously saw something in the book that you didn't see that made them like it. Twilight is great, call me whatever, but I am enjoying reading the series, as it is. I'm fine, not poisoned, not brainwashed, not anything, it's just like any other book I've read. Some I've enjoyed more then others, some less. The whole cuts on their arm thing, that's a bit spooky, I'll agree, but I still think you're making false assumptions over people who enjoyed the series.

Sappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfreak04 View Post
He's Sappy.... He deserves his own thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight View Post
Amen.
Because he's so well known. ;]
Lol, I love these people. <3

Last edited by STD_Sappy; 12-5-2008 at 05:36 PM..
STD_Sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2008, 05:37 PM   #144
STD_Sappy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to STD_Sappy Send a message via MSN to STD_Sappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFD View Post
I read the SparkNotes, and that's close enough. It was horrible.
I rest my case. Awful.

Sappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfreak04 View Post
He's Sappy.... He deserves his own thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight View Post
Amen.
Because he's so well known. ;]
Lol, I love these people. <3
STD_Sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2008, 12:31 AM   #145
All_That_Chaz
Supreme Dictator For Life
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to All_That_Chaz

I don't think it's a case of Mal not picking up on something. I think it's more that he's unhappy that people are impressed with what this series of books brings to the table.
dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoJaR View Post
god dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds
I bet when you live in a glass house, the temptation to throw stones is magnified strictly because you're not supposed to.
All_That_Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2008, 07:25 PM   #146
PlaceboFX
FFR Player

I just spent the last hour of my life consumed in this thread. While reading each post very carefully, I simultaniously googled Twilight interviews of the main characters, I read articles....hell I'm ready to read the books myself for the soul purpose of psychoanalyzing the author through her text. I don't regret a single moment. This was extremely entertaining, to say the least. I give credit to cherrygirl. An obnoxious troll, perhaps...but this is quite possibly the most entertaining post I have seen thus far.

Real spiders wear their hats on their butts.
PlaceboFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2008, 07:52 PM   #147
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

I'm great with analogies. Here's what you sound like to Mal:

I love Burger King.
It has really good food.
Even though it's fast food,
it's the best.
No, really, the best.
It's better than any restaurant.
It's the best food ever.
You should all eat at Burger King.
Let's all discuss how great Burger King is.
I love Burger King.

Now, we all know there are better restaurants out there. There are restaurants that everybody in America equates with quality restaurants. Restaurants that everyone knows the name of and only a handful of people dislike. Food critics love the place. The average everyday person loves the place. On the contrary, it is widely established by food critics that Burger King is not a real restaurant. Sure, you can get food, but it's not a real restaurant. So my argument saying that it's the best restaurant doesn't hold water.

So let's look at what critics say.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/twilight2008

Quote:
Q: When is a vampire not a vampire? A: When it goes out in daylight, sees itself in a mirror, doesn’t drink human blood, and still manages to suck.
Quote:
I've had mosquito bites that were more passionate than this undead, unrequited, and altogether unfun pseudo-romantic riff on Romeo and Juliet.
Quote:
While the movie attempts to find an compelling middle ground between gothic supernaturalism and teenage romance, it usually winds up stumbling into the inane territory implied by both descriptions.
Quote:
A disappointingly anemic tale of forbidden love that should satiate the pre-converted but will bewilder and underwhelm viewers who haven't devoured Stephenie Meyer's bestselling juvie chick-lit franchise.
Quote:
Despite questionable casting, wooden acting, laughable dialogue and truly awful makeup, nothing is likely to stop young girls from swarming to this kitschy adaptation of Stephenie Meyer's popular novel.
Quote:
Sometimes sensitive and often silly but really, essentially, beneath his pallor and her panting and their intertwined frustrations, it's just two long hours of coitus interruptus.
Quote:
This adaptation of the best-selling novel by Stephenie Meyer never rises above the level of a teen soaper on the CW, and its pale, sulky boy toys are more silly than scary.
The average score is a 54. That's absolutely horrid.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2008, 08:11 PM   #148
sumzup
(+ (- (/ (* 1 2) 3) 4) 5)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to sumzup Send a message via MSN to sumzup

Twilight is just a self-insert for Stephenie Meyer and the millions of fangirls...there's no other way it could be so popular.
Old 12-6-2008, 08:16 PM   #149
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

54 isn't even close to horrid
Old 12-7-2008, 07:15 PM   #150
foxyroxy2693
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to foxyroxy2693

I felt as if I was watching a lifetime original movie with extra cheese on the side, which I like.
foxyroxy2693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2008, 08:21 PM   #151
Bojack2424
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Bojack2424 Send a message via MSN to Bojack2424

=O...anyone notice something about the Vampire (the main dude in the trailer). He in harry potter as cedric =o
Old 12-7-2008, 08:28 PM   #152
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD

We're not nerds, Bojack. We just happen to play an online Dance Dance Revolution simulator.
Old 12-8-2008, 12:57 PM   #153
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

I love you, Mal, honestly.

My friends have been going crazy over this book and even the movie for the past couple of weeks and it just irritates me. I am so grateful for not being sucked into the Mormon religion as much as this woman has been. It has obviously done great damage to her imagination and rational thinking which is what I have feared for myself these past years.

It disgusts me that Mormon women... or rather, Mormons in general... succumb to the beliefs that men are the only ones with "spiritual" power and women can't have them unless they get married to a Mormon man and become his eternal partner, even after death. I also don't agree with the dating at 16-years-old thing, but that's a whole other topic. I hate the pressure that comes with being persuaded to dating other Mormons as well - because honestly, it's quite obvious Mrs. Meyer craves to be with someone outside of her comfort zone. Like Mal said, I think she wishes that she was Bella.

And the complete and total awkwardness between Bella and Edward makes me even angrier because that's exactly what Mormon, teenage couples are like. I can't stand watching two inexperienced people with clearly no idea about what 'love' is. Oh my god, if anything, it is NOTHING related to love. Edward clearly lusts after her blood and Bella lusts after WHAT he is, not WHO he is. I don't understand why she would be so damn attracted to a creepy stalker and monster. Hell, the only reason Edward protects Bella is because he wants her body all to himself.

And that's my opinion on the series based on the movie itself. I didn't even read the book. It just shows to me, no, it PROVES to me and HELPS me to understand that I need to stay the hell away from my church. Meyer's screwed up teenage comedy/romance and distortions of a famous, mythical creature just pisses me off to no end.

It pissed me off to the point where I was laughing throughout the whole movie, basically.

It's not even horrid. It's pure ****.
Old 12-8-2008, 01:09 PM   #154
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

Respeck +3.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2008, 03:37 PM   #155
Bojack2424
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Bojack2424 Send a message via MSN to Bojack2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFD View Post
We're not nerds, Bojack. We just happen to play an online Dance Dance Revolution simulator.
so im a proud nerd >_> big whoopy
Old 12-8-2008, 05:29 PM   #156
tha Guardians
MCDC 2011
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to tha Guardians Send a message via MSN to tha Guardians Send a message via Yahoo to tha Guardians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojack2424 View Post
whoopy
Goldberg.

Ilse, don't let some cock-deprived cat-lady turn you off from your religion. There are delusional idiots in every class of person, all across the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic-fast-fingers View Post
can someone clarrify what QFT means my friend told me its quit ****ing talking, but im not 100 percent sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I need a car that drives itself completely automated and I want it for free and it needs infinite gas mileage.

Cheers,

Synthlight
tha Guardians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2008, 09:57 PM   #157
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha Guardians View Post
Goldberg.

Ilse, don't let some cock-deprived cat-lady turn you off from your religion. There are delusional idiots in every class of person, all across the board.
I guess that's true in someway because I have not TOTALLY denied my religion. I still fear God because I believe in it. I fear dying and having to face him, knowing that he knows all the sins I've committed. It's really painful sometimes when I think about it.

In all honesty, she's not the ULTIMATE reason I'm staying away from the church. Just knowing that a woman like her exists in this world only backs up my dislike for the church even more.
Old 12-9-2008, 03:57 PM   #158
clarinet89
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to clarinet89 Send a message via MSN to clarinet89

I like the books, but then I'm an lonely teenage girl who wants nothing but to be swooped off my feet by the perfect man and live happily ever after.

Whatever.

I know that she has a horrible writing style and all of that jazz, but I just don't know WHY i like the books. I went to see the movie at a matinee and I hated it. It was just a bunch of garbage. They took an almost good book series and shredded the last bit of dignity it had, and that wasn't much.

I'm not a crazy fangirl who goes nuts at the thought of Edward and I don't wait in line for hours to meet Robert Pattinson (I have friends who did, and they drove 2 hours to get there too...during a school day). I just try to not think about how the story would fit in reality or how they smash everything that has ever been known to be true about vampires, and kinda just accept whatever happens.

Questionable Content
clarinet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2008, 10:38 PM   #159
Fullmoon
FFR Player

Ok seriously. how do you fear something that sparkles.LOL. I mean really he sits there and shows his fangs and blood on his face. and then the gayness starts. the liight hits them. and twinkle twinkle glitter gay what could have every turned them gay lol. you dont fear something that sparkles LOL the end.
Fullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2008, 11:47 PM   #160
poochieCREAM
FFR Player

wow, i didnt expect them to make new moon so early.
i LOVED the book. the movie is coming out this thursday in australia [:
i read all 4 books in no more than one week. hah.<3

edit; oh, i forgot i had an edward cullen quote in my sig. xD