Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-8-2009, 12:27 AM   #141
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles
Default Re: religion/science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
I'd rather work on fixing the problem rather than insulting someone who doesn't exist because of it.
You know better than that. I put effort into the problem if I think it'll do something. But say I get three pop quizzes in three classes after two hours of sleep. I'll think to myself "wow up yours too rofl" and there's nothing else to do but fume in impotent rage.
MrGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 12:28 AM   #142
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I don't think helping the community is a good enough justification for forcing children into beliefs. You can help the community without being religious.

The one and only thing I hate religion for is brain washing children. I would not give a damn about people being religious if they didn't push it on their kids and other kids.

But they and everyone else knows that is the only way to get someone to believe what you do. Push it on them while they still don't know how to decide for themselves. That or threaten to hurt them otherwise.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 12:31 AM   #143
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I don't think helping the community is a good enough justification for forcing children into beliefs. You can help the community without being religious.

The one and only thing I hate religion for is brain washing children. I would not give a damn about people being religious if they didn't push it on their kids and other kids.

But they and everyone else knows that is the only way to get someone to believe what you do. Push it on them while they still don't know how to decide for themselves. That or threaten to hurt them otherwise.
This. Times infinity. To me this is the number one problem when it comes to this issue.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 02:19 AM   #144
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

i cant wait for church tomorrow morning! xD
adlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 02:34 AM   #145
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

i think the answer to that is that it's a violation of religious laws, or commandments (whatever they may be called) to believe in another god if you're of a certain religion.

i'm not religious myself so don't quote me here, but is it not a violation of one of the ten commandments to worship another god if you're christian?

similarly, isn't Allah the only god for muslims? and belief in others is forbidden?
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 02:47 AM   #146
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGMqKCcN6A

I urge you guys to watch this -- it's a very interesting video by Dawkins. Both atheists and theists alike should get a kick out of this.

It's thirty minutes long, so brace yourself.

Last edited by MrRubix; 11-8-2009 at 02:49 AM..
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 03:01 AM   #147
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foilman8805 View Post
is it not a violation of one of the ten commandments to worship another god if you're christian?
its called idolatry
adlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 03:24 AM   #148
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

I think he was going for the more practial point of: "What makes your chosen belief more legitimate than any of these other ones."
Old 11-8-2009, 07:14 AM   #149
knife called lust
FFR Player

Just because you are Christian doesn't mean you see things one way, and i don't know anyone from my CCD that was 'brainwashed' into believing in God. Most of us were just in it for the money at the end of the road, Confirmation. If you couldn't tell I'm Catholic yet i still love science and believe in evolution, but like MrGiggles has been saying, religion is usually just a venting method for the less extremists and the only problem with religion arises with extremist. I'm very surprised no one has mentioned that yet. There are probably over a couple million Christians, however out of all of them a hand full take it to far and give their religion a bad name to the rest of the world.

Worried about being eliminated in Gun92's 4th epic partner tourney? Don't be I have the post that will have all the updates in it.
Scarred Potter?
knife called lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 07:29 AM   #150
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by knife called lust View Post
There are probably over a couple million Christians
probably
Old 11-8-2009, 07:36 AM   #151
JW Kid 9415
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsAMystery View Post
Don't even get me started on the Bible, btw, which is worthless as a scientific piece and only has worth as a work of allegorical fiction.
Again, the Bible IS scientific, if you actually read it, you would know

http://www.carm.org/christianity/bib...curacies-bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post

Some religions don't do that eg. Jehovah's Witness. We don't push kids into thinking like us. We force them to go to our churches yeah, but that's only because children HAVE to obey their parents. As a matter of fact, we're totally against forcing ANYBODY into it

Last edited by JW Kid 9415; 11-8-2009 at 07:40 AM..
JW Kid 9415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 08:00 AM   #152
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
This. Times infinity. To me this is the number one problem when it comes to this issue.
I'm so glad I was raised in a house where religion was a non-topic. I wasn't raised to be a religion, I wasn't even raised to be atheist. The topic just was never discussed and I was free to pick my own way.

My older sister found her way into a Christian sect, presumably to get closer with the guy she was with, a man who is now her husband. She had never expressed any sort of religious inklings when we were younger.

My younger sister seems to be one of those Christians who claim they're Christian and say "yes, Jesus is the son of God", but don't really know anything about it.

I'm a skeptic. Once in a while I'll tip toward agnostic, but I'm usually tipping more toward atheist.

Really though, I don't see how any reasonable person can think they know the answer to a question that is by its own definition outside the realm of our understanding. Picking a denominational side in this thing is tantamount to claiming that you understand something that no human being could ever understand. Secular Humanists have a good stance though. All the good **** religion can give a person (i.e., hope, improvement of community, etc.) without threats or coercion or closedmindedness.

But yeah, this thread seems pretty lol. Is it worth my time to read the whole thing? Or are the stupid posts not funny enough to be worth my time?

ps Most religious people don't need a god to explain the unexplained, because they don't even understand all of that which IS explained.

Last edited by Afrobean; 11-8-2009 at 08:03 AM..
Afrobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 08:07 AM   #153
-BabysealBeater-
FFR Player

i'd love to bite dawkins dick off
-BabysealBeater- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 08:07 AM   #154
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW Kid 9415 View Post
We don't push kids into thinking like us. We force them to go to our churches yeah, but that's only because children HAVE to obey their parents.
Or you know, you could not force your kids to go to church and then they wouldn't be disobeying you if they didn't go.
Old 11-8-2009, 08:15 AM   #155
knife called lust
FFR Player

As a kid i saw my parents going to church and i begged them to take me. At that age we tend to just follow our parents, they dont drag us out of the house to go to church.

Worried about being eliminated in Gun92's 4th epic partner tourney? Don't be I have the post that will have all the updates in it.
Scarred Potter?
Old 11-8-2009, 08:18 AM   #156
Grandiagod
FFR Player

I hated going to church and always let my parents know. Sorry but I don't know one kid who can actually sit through those hours of theological boredom and WANT to be there.
Old 11-8-2009, 08:21 AM   #157
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

Yea I remember as kids we never wanted to go to church. But my mom made us go anyway. Then all of a sudden we just stopped going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2009, 08:22 AM   #158
knife called lust
FFR Player

I was talking about like when we were 4, not 10. We only didnt want to be there once we got lives and friends.

Scarred Potter?
Old 11-8-2009, 08:25 AM   #159
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by knife called lust View Post
There are probably over a couple million Christians, however out of all of them a hand full take it to far and give their religion a bad name to the rest of the world.
how about taking in consideration how many of those christians passively or actively force upon the rest of the population their beliefs towards the society's unspoken rules? take what afrobean said. his sister takes part in a religious cult because she likes someone who is in there, and mindlessly becomes part of the environment. i can probably see her as she, in the same mindless way, sends her children to church in ottemperance to what the society expects from her.

you can't just assume religious people are good and don't try to influence the society when it's clearly the other way around. i'm an atheist since rejection of christian "education". i wouldn't be even participating in this kind of arguments if the people around me didn't try to impose their views. it would be awesome if believing could be a strictly personal choice without limitation to others, whereas it's still extremely erroneous and often accompanied by an extreme ignorance.
Old 11-8-2009, 08:30 AM   #160
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Maybe I used the word "sect" haphazardly. It's not a "cult". It's a legit branch of Christianity from what I've seen.

Just a small one.