Old 01-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #1221
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds
Default Re: The Wii is Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky285 View Post
Try removing the batteries and putting them back in. Also, try re-synching the remotes.
Did that. Opened the port for the SD cards, held Sync down for 15 seconds, let the remotes cycle out without batteries, put them back in, re-synced them, did it with new batteries, pulled the plug on the system.

Terribly sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforcer06164 View Post
Ducky, I've had this problem. Simply re-syncing doesn't work because the Wii and the Wiimote do not exchange a signal at all.

Unplug the Wii and press the power to discharge it. Do the same thing for the Wiimotes, the "plugging in" being the batteries. Now, put everything back into place. Because the syncing information is stored on memory in the Wiimote, everything should be fine. Worked for me, should work for you.
Just tried this, no dice.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!

Last edited by MalReynolds; 01-17-2007 at 09:29 PM..
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #1222
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

I've had it happen when dropping back to the menu from the middle of a game. The Wii-Remotes unsync and I can't use them.

Sometimes it takes a try or two turning the console on and having the sync fix itself. Sometimes it doesn't take any tries; it just works.

Edit:
Proof of January 21st!

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/17/su...-promise-wiis/

Quote:
Despite the obvious popularity of the system, we're completely unable to reconcile the extreme shortages of Nintendo's Wii console, which hasn't been available in any significant number since Christmas. Until now that is. An anonymous tipster got his hands on this Sunday's newspaper circulars and managed to snap a couple blurry camera-phone pics (are there any other kind?) before the flux capacitor on his time machine started acting up and he had to high-tail it back to now.

From the January 21st circulars from the future:

* Circuit City has Wiis. Limited quantities. No rainchecks. While supplies last. Limit 1 per household. Vouchers will be handed out Sunday, 1 hour prior to opening (10am).
* Best Buy has Wiis. Minimum 20 per store. No rainchecks. Stores open at 11am on Sunday.
* Target only has Wii remotes and nunchucks in the ad (who knows if they've been stockpiling consoles).
Edit 2: Haha, if you plan on trying Circuit City, try this: http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/gener....do?oid=160141

Last edited by Squeek; 01-17-2007 at 10:40 PM..
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:42 AM   #1223
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforcer06164 View Post
Old news.
Ya rly. I did notice the date of the 13th. But I also did notice it not appearing in here.
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #1224
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
My brother's wiimotes stopped responding. All they do is blink now and nothing shows up on the TV.

Anyone else have this problem or have a solution?
Turn the console on and off a few times. The console will automatically do it. It's happened to me one or twice. All four lights flash for a while then nothing. It's annoying.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #1225
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
* Target only has Wii remotes and nunchucks in the ad (who knows if they've been stockpiling consoles).
I think my local blockbuster still has a bunch of those. I probbaly should have bought all I could and resold on ebay, eh?

As for Sunday morning: How early do you guys think I should be? Do you think I could try Target just as it opens then swing over to Best Buy after that and still be fine?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #1226
Riku4144
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Riku4144 Send a message via MSN to Riku4144 Send a message via Yahoo to Riku4144

The wii as far as i know is the best VG system that came out yet. also i know that nintendo is a good brand because i have a g-cube and it never broke down and from x-play they had an experiment they dropped it from 50 ft and it still worked. but ive heard there is a glitch with the wii numchuck so im not really sure...

Riku's MySpace
Riku4144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #1227
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Like I said, Afrobean, I think it's going to be like launch day all over again. I would say about 5AM, but I'd consult with others (most importantly, Squeek) too just to be sure you're not going too early or too late.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #1228
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Here's what I did.

1) Check the store often on the day before. Better if you live close and have a reason to pass by it.

2) Check the store when they close for the night. This is a good idea of when the last people will be showing up. If they aren't there yet, there won't be any more midnight campers.

3) Ask if someone you know is willing to get up early to check on the lines.

3b) If nobody is willing, get up yourself and just get in line.

4) Once you know how the line is, gauge your spot. Can you get a warm drink before getting in line? Can the early check lead you back to your home?

5) Base the decision of #4 to how you think you'll fare.

Do this for every store you're considering. Make sure that you figure out how many consoles the stores are getting. The store employees generally announce it once they close for the evening, so the people in line know.

I knew my Target was getting 80 on launch day and that the Target by my house was getting 60. When I drove by the one near my house and saw at least 50 people in line, I panicked. This Target was in a remote location and I didn't think it'd be that bad. So I went to the local shopping center and looked around.

>Best Buy was PACKED.
>Wal-Mart was empty. They had done a midnight launch and handed out the vouchers hours prior.
>Toys R' Us had two people in line. Nobody knew if they had any.
>Target had twenty people in line.

My friend is incredibly persuasive and he was in the car, so we drove back to my house to get supplies for the evening. Sleeping bag, drinks, etc.

The last person in line showed up at around 4:30AM. I never saw the back of the line because I couldn't see around the trees or the tents, so I never even saw new people arriving.

Summary: Check the stores the night before and try to get someone who gets up early to check them in the early morning. Estimate (based on the numbers you've been given) how you'll fare.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:10 PM   #1229
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

what so I'm supposed to camp out overnight for a 2 month old console?

I'll be willing to go a few hours early, but 5AM would be 5 hours early and that is ****ed up. Do you really think it'd be that bad?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #1230
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
1) Check the store often on the day before. Better if you live close and have a reason to pass by it.
-.-

It was worse than I imagined on launch day. I was expecting to show up at 6:00AM. Turns out I showed up at 10... the night before. And I was over half in line.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 PM   #1231
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

I'll probably just play it by ear and get out to Best Buy whenever I wake up on Sunday morning (or maybe I'll just stay up Saturday night and leave before dawn).

And I say Best Buy, because when I went to Circuit City last week or whenever, I'm pretty sure they said that they hadn't had any since launch. On top of that, I got a coupon for 10% off video game software limit 3, so I'll probbaly get 3 games and save some moneys

And if I fail to get one, I'll just assume that the "we'll be getting regular shipments" part is accurate and keep checking back at Best Buy. Eventually the numbers should equalize and it'll stop being impossible to find one... hopefully it won't take too much longer though if I happen to miss my chance this Sunday.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #1232
ImEric12
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ImEric12

Chris: it's unbearably cold. I doubt more than 6 or 7 people at any one store will be camping out.

I'm probably gonna try for Circuit City with that coupon. Isn't there one of those by Oakland Mall, too?

ImEric12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #1233
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Eric, note that Circuit City opens the latest of all the stores, meaning if you miss it there, you're out of luck. And they might not take that coupon. Though they should.

But you're right. It's REALLY cold out nowadays, so that's a good factor in how many idiots will want to camp out for several hours.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #1234
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEric12 View Post
Chris: it's unbearably cold. I doubt more than 6 or 7 people at any one store will be camping out.

I'm probably gonna try for Circuit City with that coupon. Isn't there one of those by Oakland Mall, too?
Yeah, it's in the back... CompUSA is by John R and Circuit City is on the opposite end of the parking lot. It's tucked away in the corner where no one should ever be able to find it unless they're looking for it. Actually, I think you can see it from 75, but that's beside the point.

As for coldness: who cares? I'll just wear two pairs of socks, two pairs of pants, hoodie, heavy coat and knit cap. Coldness ain't got **** on me. And hell, I've been meaning to get going on the Harry Potter series again before book 7 comes out, and this would be as good a chance as any to get started.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #1235
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

It's best just to camp out Afro. It's much nicer to bite-the-bullet, camp, and get the console. So that way you have it and don't have to keep calling stores and checking in to get one. I camped out for 4 hours the week after just to make sure I'd get one. I was like 8th in line. They ended up having 52, so I could have gotten there an hour and 15 minutes beforehand and received a voucher. But I didn't know how many they had and wanted to make sure I got one, as it was so annoying calling all these stores daily to see if they received their second shipment. Such a relief to get one and not worry about it anymore.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:52 PM   #1236
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/weeklyad/...1-21_Page2.asp

Man, stores are offering coupons and crap left and right!

Actually, this one interests me. $50 toward a DS Lite for a GBASP? I have a GBA SP! I also want a DS Lite!

Awesome awesome awesome. I might actually go for this. I might even get a used DS for close to nothing with this $50 credit.

IF ONLY MY RETARDED FRIENDS DIDN'T ETCH INTO THE PLASTIC.

I doubt they'll take $50 for it -.-

Well, that's how I'll spend Monday.

Edit for Eric IMPORTANT

Circuit City canceled that coupon.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/gener....do?oid=160141
Old 01-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #1237
banditcom
FFR Player

Time to pick up Wario Ware. Bringing my bro there who's buying it. w00t
Old 01-19-2007, 06:22 PM   #1238
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

I've sent everyone who has added me a picture. Just because I got a new camera lol. Now I can almost use every part of the Wii. Just the USB left now.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:46 PM   #1239
dunlop
FFR Player

So I sold my Wii a few days ago. I ended up using the money for an Xbox 360. Best decision ever. I'm not saying the Wii is bad, but I just don't like the controller. It was fun at first, but after awhile, it began to die down.
Zelda was really fun. Wii Sports was okay at first, but the lack of depth really hurt the replay value. I do think that once all those sports are made into individual games, they will be extremely fun (mainly golf and tennis). Madden '07 was okay, but I ended up feeling as though the control scheme hurt the game. I just think the "regular" way to play is much easier, and more fun.

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want most for what they want at the moment.

dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #1240
cC@Zz
FFR Player

I agree with you dunlop on the Madden thing. The Wii controls diden't feel right.