Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 08:25 PM   #981
Buttoxin
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rszkwski623 View Post
Nothing confirmed, but I heard that the delay was because of Super Mario Galaxy being releasing right before Brawl comes out which would cause competetion between their own games.
I doubt that but it sounds like it makes sense.

Sorry for the double post, Rszkwski623 posted a minute before me.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #982
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
For example, back when I was young, I loved racing other people. I wouldn't always win, but I was one of the best racers on the schoolyard. Say someone started using those shoes with wheels on them to win races. That's cheating (and would likely make them slower, but just bear with the example), but other people see it and go "hey that's how I could beat Squeek!" Then everyone's doing that. They're no longer actually racing. They're sliding. Now there's no more races.
Wow, you have a very shallow definition of fun. Unless something is done one specific way by everyone, you can't have fun?

If people started using wheels to win races, then I would too. Greater competition means more fun for me. That's how a metagame works. You adapt to whatever's popular.
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:53 PM   #983
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Relambrien is right. Squeek needs to go cry somewhere else.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 PM   #984
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

Well, then lets take Bridge as an example. You're not suppose to show your hand to your partner, but you are suppose to give him clues about your hand by making bets. However, when people start to realize that if you look at your opponent's and partner's hands while they aren't paying attention so that you can better make your call to win, the game no longer becomes fun. The element of "Yes! He had the card I was missing" or the "No! My opponent had the card I needed" is gone and there is no challenge because you know how to play accordingly in order to win. Everyone starts to follow suit with the cheater because they won't be able to win anymore without cheating. The card game becomes terrible.

Mao used to be a big game for my circle of friends and we'd play it every day. However, two of the people decided to collaborate and make complex rules that only they would know so all they needed to do was win one round and it was over for the rest of us because by the time we figured out their first rule, there would be two or three new ones we had to figure out.

There are some games that must be played "just like so" in order to be fun at all.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:21 PM   #985
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relambrien View Post
Wow, you have a very shallow definition of fun. Unless something is done one specific way by everyone, you can't have fun?

If people started using wheels to win races, then I would too. Greater competition means more fun for me. That's how a metagame works. You adapt to whatever's popular.
Then nobody races anymore.

Ever hear of multiple racing sports? You think the Olympics always had all the racing events they had?

You're not getting me at all. I'm saying keep them separate. We still have running sports despite the invention of the bicycle because people decided they are two unique events.

Keep competitive tournament play out of friendly casual play. I absolutely do not understand why you can't just say "OK". Maybe you have some itching hand that yearns to PWN NOOBS LOLOLOL. Whatever.

I enjoy competition. I really do. I just don't want to see it ruined. Tournaments have already been ruined for me because of your decision to kill items. I get that. I know I can't change it and I know you don't care. All I'm trying to say is not to enforce your rules and regulations on random matches. If you're gonna do your little tricks and enforce rules, use friend codes and play your rule-abiding friends.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:21 PM   #986
zidart
FFR Player

ok this is getting ridiculous (sorry for spelling) i thought we agreed that there's people that played this game the fun way and other played torney way. (but my only dissagreement is the use of wavedash wich it doesn't matter anymore because it's not in brawl)
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:34 PM   #987
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

The fun way is someones opinion. When online gameplay comes out and you get destroyed by someone who plays competitively, then avoid that person in the future and just hope you don't play any more pros. YOU DECIDE whether you're going to let competitive play ruin your experience. That is seriously so lame though. You guys just sounds like quitters to me.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:41 PM   #988
SuperSonicX
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to SuperSonicX

Quote:
Originally Posted by korny View Post
The fun way is someones opinion. When online gameplay comes out and you get destroyed by someone who plays competitively, then avoid that person in the future and just hope you don't play any more pros. YOU DECIDE whether you're going to let competitive play ruin your experience. That is seriously so lame though. You guys just sounds like quitters to me.
Agreed. Besides you have the decision to choose whether the person you play is on your level so don't baby out on wi-fi because you suck. Just give a shot, and maybe your skills will improve by playing more experienced players.

If practice makes perfect, but no one has reached perfection, then why the hell practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
Welcome aboard. I'm a noob also, so don't feel bad.

Cheers,

Synthlight
SuperSonicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:53 PM   #989
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicX View Post
Agreed. Besides you have the decision to choose whether the person you play is on your level so don't baby out on wi-fi because you suck. Just give a shot, and maybe your skills will improve by playing more experienced players.
Online matches are random

Doesn't anyone read the updates for this game?

You need friend codes to know who you're playing.

Quote:
Your opponent will not know your name or any information about you, and neither of you can send short messages. There will also be no battle records kept for this mode, so whether you win or lose, it doesn’t matter. Just sit back and play.

Last edited by Squeek; 10-31-2007 at 10:00 PM..
Old 10-31-2007, 10:07 PM   #990
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

It doesn't matter Squeek. Point is, you're still being a baby about all of this and i think a lot of people will agree to that.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:16 PM   #991
zidart
FFR Player

well the only complaint i had of multiplayer on melee (and thank god no one that i knew in my country used it in fact it was banned in some tournaments) were the glitches, so i'll be checking out this game on-line, and if they find another one...well i guess i'll have to try and beat people that use them (and prove that they are not really that amazing)
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:22 PM   #992
RoastedNoob
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Good job, Zidart.
RoastedNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:30 PM   #993
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Competition is healthy. Don't whine over it -- it will really do you some good and help you improve. Without competition, you psychologically plateau.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:38 PM   #994
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
It doesn't matter Squeek. Point is, you're still being a baby about all of this and i think a lot of people will agree to that.
waah.

waaaaahh.

Boo to fair play! Boooo!

Steroids make us all stronger and faster! Let's all take steroids! That keeps competition even!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 PM   #995
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

You can't cheat in smash so anyway you play is fair. So waaaah yourself to sleep.
I'm sorry that you lack the ability to keep up with us pros. Just because that is a fact doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to try to prove a point that doesn't exist. You can't keep up with the technicals of the game. Comparing the technicals to steroids is retarded. You're retarded. I don't even want to argue anymore. I'm done talking to a wall that thinks it knows what it's talking about.

Last edited by korny; 10-31-2007 at 10:52 PM..
Old 10-31-2007, 11:19 PM   #996
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Neither of us know if I can keep up with their apparent skill. I refuse to waste time and money driving out to these events and I doubt they make house calls.

I'd be interested to see what other people around the world are like. I just don't want the standard to become "No items! Ever! And stick to these gameplay modes! FOREVER!!!"

I doubt that this will happen since chatting is disabled in random play. Here's hoping.
Old 11-1-2007, 12:21 AM   #997
slickskater29
FFR Player

Squeek, earlier, were you talking about this interview?
http://www.gamernode.com/interviews/...awl/index.html

My buddy Dac wrote that, i suggest everyone reads it.
Old 11-1-2007, 12:21 AM   #998
masterhickle
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to masterhickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Neither of us know if I can keep up with their apparent skill. I refuse to waste time and money driving out to these events and I doubt they make house calls.

I'd be interested to see what other people around the world are like. I just don't want the standard to become "No items! Ever! And stick to these gameplay modes! FOREVER!!!"

I doubt that this will happen since chatting is disabled in random play. Here's hoping.
Squeek, you freaking stated earlier that the people you played against suck. You also stated that you can't know for sure how truly good you are because you don't play anyone else. Quit assuming you're good. You're contradicting yourself. You're also pissing off every regular in this thread.

No one ever freaking said that the standard is "BAWWW NO ITEMS EVAR! STICK TO THESE GAMEPLAY MODES NAO N00B!" Jesus, that's what you sound like complaining about tournament rules, knock it the hell off. Tourney-goers have their way of playing, people who play with items have their way. People that play with items, such as Zidart, play with tourney-goers, and have found ways to beat them. ****ing accept the fact that you may have to play someone who doesn't agree with your rules. I think you'll both live.

I'm done talking to you directly, Squeek. While this started out as a good debate, you drug it on like a bad habit you couldn't break.
Old 11-1-2007, 02:19 AM   #999
l2awr
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to l2awr Send a message via MSN to l2awr Send a message via Yahoo to l2awr

Quote:
You can't cheat in smash so anyway you play is fair. So waaaah yourself to sleep.
I'm sorry that you lack the ability to keep up with us pros. Just because that is a fact doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to try to prove a point that doesn't exist. You can't keep up with the technicals of the game. Comparing the technicals to steroids is retarded. You're retarded. I don't even want to argue anymore. I'm done talking to a wall that thinks it knows what it's talking about.
Thats what I did =\
l2awr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-1-2007, 03:10 AM   #1000
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhickle View Post
Squeek, you freaking stated earlier that the people you played against suck. You also stated that you can't know for sure how truly good you are because you don't play anyone else. Quit assuming you're good. You're contradicting yourself. You're also pissing off every regular in this thread.

No one ever freaking said that the standard is "BAWWW NO ITEMS EVAR! STICK TO THESE GAMEPLAY MODES NAO N00B!" Jesus, that's what you sound like complaining about tournament rules, knock it the hell off. Tourney-goers have their way of playing, people who play with items have their way. People that play with items, such as Zidart, play with tourney-goers, and have found ways to beat them. ****ing accept the fact that you may have to play someone who doesn't agree with your rules. I think you'll both live.

I'm done talking to you directly, Squeek. While this started out as a good debate, you drug it on like a bad habit you couldn't break.
No, I said my friends suck. If they were the only people I've played against, then sure! You'd have an argument! Unfortunately for you, I've played dozens of people.

I'm not assuming anything. The game telling me I have 100% completion tells me that I'm good. Maybe you don't consider 100% completion an accomplishment. I know I do. I'd love you to try to get 100% completion on Elebits. Holy crap man. It'll take you 150 hours and you won't even be halfway done. I nearly did it before my save data got corrupt. I lost 100 hours of work.

I know the kind of skill it takes to 100% a game. Not everyone can do it. That makes the people who can do it good. That's the over-arching definition of good. To me, at least.

If you want to say "people are only good if they go to tournaments and compete against others", then say it. And if you say that, then not only am I not "good", I'm lower than a noob. I'm non-existent on your measurement scale there. That's why I don't consider it a good scale. How can you have a standard of skill measurement when the only people who attend these tournaments are the people who have the time for it?

When I say "standard", I mean "tournament standard". However, I assume that carries over into casual play too. I mean, you don't come home from a no-item tournament to a personal Gamecube that has items on Very High drop rate. Chances are you all play with no items every time you play the game. Knowing that, I assume that you tend to keep items off if friends come over to play unless they request it to be turned on.

Maybe my metaphors / similes are bad? I just can't seem to say a word without you all jumping down my throat and saying "YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME (that you 100% completed) AND YOU NEED TO STOP TALKING BECAUSE YOU'RE AN IDIOT."