Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #61
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Songs of the Week (May 11, 2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 View Post
let's remove every piano file because there's only one instrument playing
+1 LMAO
Old 05-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #62
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 View Post
let's remove every piano file because there's only one instrument playing
missing the point lol
Old 05-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #63
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
missing the point lol
We're gonna remove the legacy charts for being poor audio quality too right? It'd only be fair?

Oh and Shanghai Girl of Meiji 17 right?

Point is even ripping on Jake for the quality of his song, especially being a first try, isn't really something we can really do, especially since the above listed charts still exist in game. Unless you make music yourself, you probably wouldn't even notice the "production of quality" or w/e. I myself didn't even think about it, it sounds fine to the average person like myself. That's like denying a song for song choice alone in a sense.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #64
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127

DMB is mainly bad because it sounds he had the chart laid out before he even made the song, then just threw in sounds to match the steps he wanted.

Also, there is nothing wrong with this being his first attempt at a song, but this is something better kept to yourself or passed around privately to others to improve upon. You dont need to be able to make music to know this is a poorly structured song.

Last edited by Plan_Bsk81127; 05-14-2013 at 12:32 AM..
Plan_Bsk81127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #65
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I quoted people but I don't want to seem like I'm bashing on anyone so I'll just make my points.

First of all, so what if the song is one instrument? There's lots of piano pieces on ffr and those seem quite fine. I'm sorry if it's not your style, but I think some songs which are purely instrument solo's or duets/trio's involving the same instrument are good to listen to (I personally enjoy clarinet duets, trios, quartets, etc).

Also, I'm sure Jake isn't too familiar with music production. He was just trying his hand out at musical composition (i.e. choosing the lengths/pitches of the notes, etc). It's like the difference between creating sheet music and creating the music itself. It probably would have sounded better if he had gotten some orchestra to actually play it and to have it professionally recorded. But he doesn't have access to an orchestra. I'm just going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he made a good attempt at making something that might be nice on sheet music but not necessarily good at actually making the music (a different skill in itself). On the bright side, he at least knows the difference now and to have his musical compositions "mastered" and made more dynamical before starting to step it.

Also, there's lot of things that just sound just bad on FFR imho. And I'm sorry, but there is no objective measure of how good something is when it comes to art-esque things. People splatter paint on a canvas and call it abstract art. I went to an abstract music concert once, that shit was fucked up beyond all belief (the solo where the guy just seemed to randomly pluck the strings in the piano was lulz). But you know what, I put my judgement aside and tried to give it some credit. I'd say it was very creative in that is gave me certain feelings that no music has ever done before. Sure it wasn't production quality, no one would want to hear that on the radio but does it discredit it as music? No. Heck, a lot of things on FFR a lot of average people wouldn't even consider music, they would just consider it noise. Should we discredit that as music? No.

Also, from all the stickies, submission rules, etc I've read, I don't remember anything saying that judges can dock off points for song choice. If you think the song sucks, then sure say the song sucks. But unless there's something that says that judges can dock off points purely for song choice, then don't be asking why a chart got in the game because of the song itself. (If they actually can, please correct me, I might have missed something).

Also, last but not least, $5 says that if Jake didn't claim that he produced the music, then this wouldn't even be an argument in the first place.

tl;dr You have the right to your opinion but that doesn't mean you should be as inconsiderate as possible with it.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #66
JohnRedWolf87
Backlogger of Hobbies
FFR Veteran

I actually enjoyed DMB. I was surprised at how happy the song sounded, given the name. I expected the song to turn dark any minute. :P

xBBx Takedown's First Tournament - 2nd Place (Beginner)
ZC_Wolfy's Birthday Tournament - 3rd Place (Novice)
Dragons_Fury One Division Higher Tourney - 2nd Place (Novice)
Samurai7694's Ultimate Enduring Fabulous Tournament - 3rd Place (D1)
Dark_Chrysalis' 1st FFR Bowl - 2nd Place (D1), 13th place overall
Panic4Me and MrMagic's Thanksgiving Tournament - 2nd Place (D1)
JohnRedWolf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #67
04im
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Also, last but not least, $5 says that if Jake didn't claim that he produced the music, then this wouldn't even be an argument in the first place.
$500 says that if somebody else not in team blaze & your group of friends made and stepped devil's music box, then people like midnight would be shitting all over it after eating 50 mcchickens and you wouldn't even care

good going guys

now i'm not saying the song should be removed or anything, jake ferguson should take note of this and well, step something by more talented musicians next time instead of going 'wow im done with this pce'

Quote:
tl;dr You have the right to your opinion but that doesn't mean you should be as inconsiderate as possible with it.
jake ferguson getting a taste of his own medicine a la file bash

Last edited by 04im; 05-14-2013 at 12:56 AM..
04im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 AM   #68
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Well we do gotta support each other! Team spirit and all that whatevs.

In all honesty, my stance would be no different if someone else made the song and file. I would have still found it cute, happy, and fun to hit to. Though there's no proof of what I just stated unless time travel was possible and I decided to not join the team, but meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #69
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04im View Post
$500 says that if somebody else not in team blaze & your group of friends made and stepped devil's music box, then people like midnight would be shitting all over it after eating 50 mcchickens and you wouldn't even care

good going guys

now i'm not saying the song should be removed or anything, jake ferguson should take note of this and well, step something by more talented musicians next time instead of going 'wow im done with this pce'

jake ferguson getting a taste of his own medicine a la file bash
Helping out a friend is nothing new but to be honest I'd go out of my way to express my opinions for any person in this situation. What midnight does...well hash on him for his actions not me. I don't represent him and he doesn't represent me. And I'm not simply defending him, I critiqued him myself. I'll flat out say the song lacks dynamics and is quite dull and that is could be greatly improved. But I'm not the type that listens to music for the intent of trying to find fault in it. It was a nice little tune, not even close to anything I'd call "good", but it certainly wasn't "awful" for my ears.

But I whole-heartedly agree with you. Next time Jake should either take the time to make his music more dynamic and pleasing to the ear or he should just step something else that's not of his own work that already sounds good.

(I hate writing qualifying essays (when you have a choice between defend/qualify/refute). I take this position so often knowing I'll get based from both sides; perhaps I'm a masochist.)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
Old 05-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #70
Razor
Dan "Razor" Devilz
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Also, from all the stickies, submission rules, etc I've read, I don't remember anything saying that judges can dock off points for song choice.
news flash: we can
3rd: Retro City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers
I play Stepmania, so I know everything about media formats.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #71
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I stand corrected. Stickies should be updated then.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-14-2013, 02:59 AM   #72
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I didn't like Devil's Music Box.
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #73
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Lmfao, I personally think DMB is a fine addition to FFR. Music doesn't always have to be complex with added beats and noises. Music that is simply composed (one with some structure and content (this is actually subjective in music)) is something we don't get quite often and it is a nice change of things.

Music is always up for interpretation and I think many of you are failing to realize this. Some believe that some music have so much content and meaning behind the music while others think differently and think that it is "just an unprofessional attempt to earn a title on FFR." Rap music can have deep meaning to some, but others think that there is a reason why rap is one letter off of crap. Etc.

Regardless of your opinions, don't convince others that your musical tastes is more suitable for FFR. Just believe what you believe and move on. FFR is open to a variety of music (at least we would hope lol), so appreciate what you get from others. If you can't, then don't play the file at all and stop complaining. Simple.

@Jake: Good file for a first attempt. However, I am not fond of the some of the patterns and generally the file, since the difficulty doesn't reflect the simplicity of the music. Just my thoughts for you (:
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #74
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iironiic View Post
...I personally think DMB is a fine addition to FFR.
I am not fond of the some of the patterns and generally the file, since the difficulty doesn't reflect the simplicity of the music.
For those reasons and the fact that the second half is so repetitive, I don't like the file.

Actually, the main reason I dislike the file is that I feel it was music made to steps, not steps placed to music.
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:19 AM   #75
04im
FFR Player

it's midnight blowing things out of hand if you read back

we all agree that people have different music tastes (big fukin surprise wow)

just like how plan_b & midnight are not fond of my song choice and bzztbzzt files in general, some people aren't fond of an uneventful xylophone song - and they voiced their opinion

then of course midnight gets super defensive about jake ferguson's file and song choice stating absurd things like "if u have no musical talent u have no right to say anything about jake ferguson's attempt at a file"

no midnight, we aren't out to kill your friend here, we're just here to say well, some people didn't particularly enjoy devil's music box

but you of course, have no idea what you're talking about and obviously are a hypocrite so idk man, learn to be more ch~ill pls (obv u dunno what chill is besides watching anime)
Old 05-14-2013, 03:37 AM   #76
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

@Jake: You got some good (although somewhat harsh) critique of your song. You also got some good suggestions on how to make your future music better. It's ok that you accept that your music wasn't of good quality, we all start off somewhere. I expect much better from you next time if there is a next time, I don't want to get myself in this mess a second time :P

04im: I'm mostly agreeing with a lot/most of your points, aside from the ad hominems. I'll admit, I tend to be a ****** and make my critiques overly gentle. Sorry 'bout my posting style (I get sick of my own 5 paragraph posts), I hope we're cool. As for middie, the ad hom's are a bit harsh but that's just my opinion. What's going on between you and middie is something you two need to resolve yourselves, I don't want to be a part of it. Please, the individual actions of our individual members are not representative of myself and my actions.

@charu: muffins.

cuz popcorn gets stale too fast

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by reuben_tate; 05-14-2013 at 03:40 AM..
Old 05-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #77
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Time to break away from these arguments. It is entirely understandable why Devil's Music Box is highly polarizing amongst many users here, but let's not take that stance too far with tit for tat. Don't continue this stale debate please.

Also, yes technically judges can take away up to one point for bad music choice, but that has been used with a great degree of caution. As you can probably tell, balancing subjectivity and fairness is not an easy thing to do. In the end, Devil's Music Box was accepted, and you'll just have to take it as that. It's by no means any sort of norm, but it's quite possible for a song like this to end up in the game. However, I do recommend any future steppers to be wary of the music they step. Expect all sorts of feedback and a range of criticisms and opinions. And of course, be civil about the way you express those opinions.

I suggest giving some feedback on the other songs now. I'm sure the other stepartists would appreciate it.

Last edited by bmah; 05-14-2013 at 04:19 AM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:30 AM   #78
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

After not playing for a half a year really and coming back to a bunch of new songs almost all of them have been really enjoyable. The quality of step files here has gone up so much that I'm legit excited to see what's coming every week now.
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #79
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I hate all of you
Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #80
retching oesophagus
(^._.^) =^-ω-^= (^・o・^)ノ
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
I hate all of you
I hate you more

accepter and producer of low quality simfiles
retching oesophagus is offline   Reply With Quote