Old 12-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #61
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX
Default Re: Untitled StepMania Pack submissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
Of course fun is the ultimate goal. The problem is that pure jumpstream files have been done thousands of times and don't really offer anything new. So in a sense, it's not that fun to play a file that's really similar to so many others. The file was well-stepped and a pretty good jumpstream file, but it's just specifically not what we're looking for. I hope you're not discouraged to send your files.
Yup, I'm not saying you don't care about "fun". Rather I just know the files I enjoy the most are quite classical files in general and this is something that kinda stands out in what I do ordinarily, and I know for a matter of fact this is not something you'd be totally hyped for. I'd rather deepen what could make my file funnier rather than what could make my file more unique. Doesn't go further than that
Old 12-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #62
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScylaX View Post
I'd rather deepen what could make my file funnier
your graphics already do that huehue
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #63
rCaliberGX
D7 Elite Keymasher
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

did you look at the revision for my file?

Released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you look like you're dSucks
rCaliberGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #64
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Halogen View Post
He is doing that.
i meant instead of single posts one after another with one review, do batches of reviews

also I realize it's easy to be upset over judgment, whether it's fair or subjective is up for debate. Just remember it's someone else's pack and what they're looking for is entirely up to them. I sent what I thought was a masterpiece to odi3 just to have it shit on. gotta deal w/it

Last edited by kommisar; 12-23-2013 at 05:33 PM..
kommisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #65
moches
FFR Player

basically what Kommi said, yeah, though I would still ask for a more constructive tone overall. when ODIpack3 was under progress, I remember really appreciating GLoVE's reviews because they went in-depth into the inconsistencies/issues for improvement but they were also very friendly and made clear when a file really had potential. I trust Fission and ilikexd, though
moches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #66
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX

Well Kommi I just know what I want my files to be like, chart making can't be quite objective because there are plenty of ways to correctly do something in fact so...............
plenty of ways to be wrong is probably what constitutes the "objective" polarity, plenty of ways to be right would constitute the "subjective" polarity I guess.

Anyway, I'm stepping a quite unusual S.S.H. music (yes, S.S.H., for an attempt of original file) and I think I could contribute to this pack. I guess critiques and feedbacks over how I could improve the creativity of the whole chart may round off something satisfying to my mind.
(even though that's probably the only sim I could work myself to send there because of how it differs from what I tend to usually do tho)
Old 12-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #67
ilikexd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moches View Post
basically what Kommi said, yeah, though I would still ask for a more constructive tone overall. when ODIpack3 was under progress, I remember really appreciating GLoVE's reviews because they went in-depth into the inconsistencies/issues for improvement but they were also very friendly and made clear when a file really had potential. I trust Fission and ilikexd, though
With regard to Destination, I thought it was pretty well stepped. But it plays so similarly to so many other 16th jumpstream files that it's just not something we're looking for.

I can go more in-depth into Bright Sound if you want. We can talk on Skype or I can post some detailed notes here.
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #68
moches
FFR Player

Sure! Could you PM me if you have time later? That was a weird song for me and I'd appreciate any thoughts I could get.
moches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #69
ilikexd

yeah i'll look over it and write in detail before i go to bed tonight and pm you
Old 12-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #70
Fission
no
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

alright, posting more than one this time so i don't quintuple post like i was doing before

Vegetable Soup (samurai7694) - ACCEPTED
- some of the 32nd bursts are rough but it's not a big deal since they can just be jumptrilled with how you patterned them
- i think you could afford to layer the snare a bit more in some parts but it's fine if you just want to focus on one thing at a time during these busy sections
- really cool ma file overall, nice job

Moe Moe Kyunstep (kommisar) - ACCEPTED
- missing 32nds @ 241s, 248.1s and 255.1s?
- well executed dubstep file with a good difficulty curve to keep it interesting

Poquito Mas (AlexDest) - ACCEPTED
- the buildup with the single notes and mines is really cool and the ending climax is also awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by moches View Post
they went in-depth into the inconsistencies/issues for improvement but they were also very friendly and made clear when a file really had potential
thanks for the constructive criticism, i really appreciate it. i'll try to start doing this more. i'm definitely not trying to intimidate people by stamping REJECTED everywhere.

Last edited by Fission; 12-23-2013 at 10:20 PM..
Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #71
rCaliberGX
D7 Elite Keymasher
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

oh god moe moe kyunstep rofl

pt1 or pt2?

Released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you look like you're dSucks
rCaliberGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #72
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rCaliberGX View Post
oh god moe moe kyunstep rofl

pt1 or pt2?
Pt 2

James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #73
ilikexd

The Funk Is (Valor) - ACCEPTED

90.8s - ghost 32nd note at the end

Turntable Utabied (Valor) - REJECTED

song is incredibly draggy and repetitive

Mirror Mirror (Revision) (rCaliberGX) - CONDITIONAL

90.88s - missing jump
96.83s - pattern choice could be better
121.9s - missing 16ths, mines probably should go
124s - mines really should go, this pattern is really really hard already
129s - mines in this section make no sense. they dont seem to go to anything, its really bad at 148s
although edit chart is an interesting idea it's really just going to confuse people and doesn't serve any purpose

otherwise it's a lot better from the original version and pretty good. fix those things and it's accepted

Last edited by ilikexd; 12-25-2013 at 01:06 AM..
Old 12-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #74
Fission
no
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

just one for now

A Type (Valor) - REJECTED
- the 8th note sections make the file feel repetitive. could possibly be a stronger file with a cut, but no promise on that.
- i strongly disagree with stepping the 32nd/64th rolls as just holds. it completely kills the build up.
Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #75
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

also moe moe kyunstep was an irl collab with don, if it gets accepted don't forget (cd title should say it anyways)

fuc we stepped that file over a year ago now that I think about it hahah
Old 12-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #76
ilikexd

Take My Life (Skwid) - REJECTED

the ending in oni and edit are ridiculously harder than the rest of the file. the one in heavy is still a bit over the top in context with everything else. there's a huge difficulty spike between 1handed minijump jacks and 2h ones, especially when they have notes between them and last an extended period of time.
additionally the song doesn't really present many opportunities for stepping. it's the same chorus four times (and each half of the chorus is the same thing repeated twice), and it's also stepped with copy+paste, and then there's 8th jumpstream verses. the 12th section was interesting but that's pretty much it. otherwise the only error was a few incorrect minijacks in the jumpstreams.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #77
Staiain
Can't handle my ÆØÅ
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Staiain Send a message via MSN to Staiain Send a message via Skype™ to Staiain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
also moe moe kyunstep was an irl collab with don, if it gets accepted don't forget (cd title should say it anyways)

fuc we stepped that file over a year ago now that I think about it hahah
good times 8) never forget raccoon girl

also this looks like it'll be a high quality pack, that's awesome
Staiain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #78
Skwid1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Skwid1

Quote:
Take My Life (Skwid) - REJECTED

the ending in oni and edit are ridiculously harder than the rest of the file. the one in heavy is still a bit over the top in context with everything else. there's a huge difficulty spike between 1handed minijump jacks and 2h ones, especially when they have notes between them and last an extended period of time.
additionally the song doesn't really present many opportunities for stepping. it's the same chorus four times (and each half of the chorus is the same thing repeated twice), and it's also stepped with copy+paste, and then there's 8th jumpstream verses. the 12th section was interesting but that's pretty much it. otherwise the only error was a few incorrect minijacks in the jumpstreams.
yeah this is basically what i expected if it got rejected. i'm assuming the main issue here is the chorus repeating so many times. i could make the ending less gay (tho i wanted it to be harder because of the increase in intensity), but i don't think there's much i could do for the chorus. i could try to make the patterns vary, but i don't see much opportunity to do that without breaking pitch relevancy and it'd probably make those sections feel shittier to play.

either way, fair enough. i can understand why it's not unique/interesting enough for this pack. figured i'd try anyway though.
Skwid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #79
ilikexd

yes the main issue over everything is the repeating, both in the music and patterns you used to those parts

making the ending harder because of the climax is a good idea, but this is over the top (even though its just a simple switch from 1h to split jumpjacks).

imo varying the patterns in the chorus wouldn't actually be a bad thing though and i did notice you used PR in them, but you can just more loosely pr some of them; it would be play better than playing the same one so many times i think
Old 12-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #80
Skwid1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Skwid1

Quote:
yes the main issue over everything is the repeating, both in the music and patterns you used to those parts

making the ending harder because of the climax is a good idea, but this is over the top (even though its just a simple switch from 1h to split jumpjacks).

imo varying the patterns in the chorus wouldn't actually be a bad thing though and i did notice you used PR in them, but you can just more loosely pr some of them; it would be play better than playing the same one so many times i think
would you say i should resubmit if i change some stuff and i feel it addresses all of these issues, or do you think the song choice just kinda makes it unsuitable for the pack, even if i made the patterns in the chorus vary?
Skwid1 is offline   Reply With Quote