Old 09-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #621
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
I was 270ish when I started using pak, so I was at like 20%. Not exactly fit and trim, but not obese. I've always gotten really sick though, even when I was a football player I'd play through with colds, and I was at 12-15% then.
Uh, that's quite obese, actually. And around 36% body fat, assuming you actually gained 12 lbs of LBM during your cut (Unlikely. A good chunk of that is probably just intramuscular glycogen and water) and that you're about 12% now (seems reasonable).

Also, Cav, Celiac disease is incredibly rare and involves a complex diagnosis. It's highly unlikely he has it, especially when those symptoms can be caused by any # of different problems. Of course, it's always a good idea to go to your doctor and get some tests done if you haven't already.

Last edited by Reach; 09-16-2012 at 11:16 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #622
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

20% bodyfat is obese?
Old 09-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #623
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

No, 20% would not be, but his estimate was way off.

If he's about 12% now and around 210 pounds (last I could find he said he was about 215), he has 185 pounds of LBM.

If he had 173 pounds of LBM at 270 pounds (assuming he gained 12 lb LBM between then and now), his bodyfat percentage would have been 36%.

Which is very obese.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #624
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

1/100 people isn't extremely rare imo, also said to check out everything about his digestion.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #625
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
No, 20% would not be, but his estimate was way off.

If he's about 12% now and around 210 pounds (last I could find he said he was about 215), he has 185 pounds of LBM.

If he had 173 pounds of LBM at 270 pounds (assuming he gained 12 lb LBM between then and now), his bodyfat percentage would have been 36%.

Which is very obese.
Hmm, my math is off somewhere, or I got lied to. I got the calipers done by my old gym and they said 20% at 270. Wouldnt surprise me if they did, since they're pretty mercenary and would want me to keep thinking the gym was making me lose more than I was.

I'm at 220 now at 12%, though. Weighed in/checked to verify this morning.

I'm pretty sure most of the muscle gains I've made is simply due to the fact that I already had a really strong base (if not bodybuilderish) in lifting in high school.

http://stronglifts.com/colorado-expe...-arthur-jones/

Like Casey Viator, except I'm no genetic freak. (My hips are too wide, lol)

And, no. I don't have Celiac's disease. Maybe a mild gluten allergy (I cant eat some breads without getting really full, and puffy) but otherwise...

The whole reason why I was lacking in vitamins is because I ate absolutely shitty. bags and bags of baked lays, pizzas, drank diet coke like it was going out of style, cupcakes, jelly beans...I'm lucky I didnt end up with diabetes.

Last edited by Senip; 09-16-2012 at 12:24 PM..
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #626
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post

I'm pretty sure most of the muscle gains I've made is simply due to the fact that I already had a really strong base (if not bodybuilderish) in lifting in high school.
Oh, that makes a lot more sense then. I have seen a study showing that people that have lifted in the past can gain muscle on a caloric deficit, so you probably did gain 10-12 pounds of muscle. The muscles seem to rebound very quickly; I've experienced this as well.

I too lifted in high school and then got mad out of shape in university. When I started lifting again my gains were ridiculous for the first 1-2 months.

Won't happen that way if you're fresh to lifting though.

As for calipers, they were definitely off at your gym, since the math doesn't lie. They probably just don't know how to use calipers lol. Plus they can be difficult to use reliably on larger individuals. Much easier to measure it yourself, since you can rely on yourself to do it the same every time, thus giving you a reliable reading over time.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #627
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Can anyone recommend any good tests? I'd like to get some bloodwork/biometrics done so I can have some numbers (levels of different minerals/nutrients, cholesterol, blah blah blah). Do I just get a simple blood test?
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #628
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Can anyone recommend any good tests? I'd like to get some bloodwork/biometrics done so I can have some numbers (levels of different minerals/nutrients, cholesterol, blah blah blah). Do I just get a simple blood test?
Yup. Just say you want the full blood test. BUT MAKE SURE you go back and get your doctor to go over it with you, and explain things. And dont let them ****ing charge you twice for it, tell them you already paid for the test and this is a follow up. office workers will **** you over if you let em.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #629
Senip
Forum User

http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...-Cycle-Priming
You might have to join the forums to see this. This is probably one of the best write ups for CKD that I could find, because he gives you baseline numbers, ideas of what to eat, and describes his mood etc so you can understand whats going on.

(Yes, its for a pre-cycle prime, but he did it drug free, so its completely viable even for us)
Old 09-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #630
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/...131(12)00189-1

Interesting study on intermittent fasting.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #631
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

I notice absolutely nothing when I eat bread or anything else glutinous. At least not unless I've been eating it for weeks, and even then I'm compounding that with dairy and I do know that dairy makes me bloated. It's a complete misnomer that all celiacs feel awful when they eat gluten or that an individual can 'just tell' they have a gluten problem. The majority of celiacs go undiagnosed. I was only diagnosed because I asked for the test (along with other tests that no doctors had bothered to test me for) because I strongly suspected a malabsorption problem. I was pretty shocked to find out that I had it TBH.
That you say you even notice anything with some types of bread is pretty odd...Food isn't supposed to make you bloated, end-of-story. Why are people so resistant to tests? You've got nothing to lose except a couple bucks. If you were to *magically* find out you were one, you could still continue to eat the same food you eat now if you wanted. (I think that would be beyond dumb, but it's still an option.)
Also to be semantically correct, bloating isn't an allergic reaction. Allergies involve an IgE response of the immune system, which involves things like hives and shortness of breath. Celiac disease involves an IgA reaction and appears to not be studied nearly as much as an IgE reaction.

I cannot recommend good blood tests. I know they can measure b12 and iron and folate levels as that's all I've ever gotten. TV shows show that blood tests can measure numerous other nutrients, although D is the only one that comes to mind. Can nutritionists order blood tests? You've got lists of the nutrients, ask them to measure all of them if it's possible.

Last edited by Cavernio; 09-16-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Old 09-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #632
Senip
Forum User

You obviously dont know what youre talking about. Its documented that people with mild forms of gluten allergy experience bloating pf the stomach and a noticeable feeling of being full. Same with dairy products for most people. This is why a lot of trainers (if they know wtf theyre doing) will put you on a diet that takes your heritage into account. Someone who comes from a race of people who eat a ton of fish is going to respond better to fish than someone who didnt, and someone who ate a ton of meat (i.e. germans etc) wont respond very well to a grain/dairy diet.

Last edited by Senip; 09-17-2012 at 12:39 AM..
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #633
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

http://psychcentral.com/news/2012/07...tes/41971.html

Alzheimers is apparently insulin resistance (ie: diabetes) of some protein in the brain. Crazy.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #634
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/...131(12)00189-1

Interesting study on intermittent fasting.
and to back that up, here's one that implements IF and carb backloading.

http://articles.elitefts.com/nutriti...r-muscle-gain/

Interestingly, SCD and carb backloading both have strong implications for curing diabetes, because you're taking in all the insulin when your body is resistant to insulin, i.e., after workouts.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #635
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Does IF depend at all on when you workout? Or is it as simple as eating all your calories within an X-hour window at roughly the same point in time each day? Looks like something I definitely want to incorporate.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #636
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Does IF depend at all on when you workout? Or is it as simple as eating all your calories within an X-hour window at roughly the same point in time each day? Looks like something I definitely want to incorporate.
Yes, that's exactly what it is. I actually encourage working out fasted to target fat like a mofo.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #637
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWolf View Post
Yes, that's exactly what it is. I actually encourage working out fasted to target fat like a mofo.
I hate working out fasted, if nothing else I'll take in a scoop of whey or whatever with my prewo. I never have enough energy for what I want to do if I don't. Also, there's so much bickering back and forth between not only the athletes but the scientists to have any real say on whether fasted workouts, well, work.

I would say, do it, if you feel good, then keep doing it. But dont keep making yourself miserable by telling yourself "this is burning fat!" because the more you stress yourself by being miserable, the more you raise your cortisol levels which is exactly what you dont want.

Last edited by Senip; 09-17-2012 at 11:49 PM..
Old 09-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #638
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I've always wondered how stress alters body composition, chemically.

This was me during my senior year of HS:

Around early 2005 or so.

Then, cue high amounts of stress + eating poorly + getting no sleep for about 5-6 years. Things have been much better since 2010-2011 or so, but my body has... not taken well to such prolonged periods of negative health pressure. XD
Old 09-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #639
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

take an endocrinology class
Old 09-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #640
i love you
Live a wonderful life~