Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2007, 02:35 PM   #41
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: If you don't believe in an afterlife, what is your motivation?

As I see it, life is a pretty unique gift, and I only have one shot at it. There is no way to escape it alive, so you have to take it for what it is.

The universe is a pretty messed up yet magnificent place. I am always in awe when I look at the shere space and mystery the universe contains...it's amazing that something like this could actually exist, God or no God. It just fascinates me, and I enjoy learning and experiencing more of it each day. Just being one little part of the big picture is a nice feeling, and I'm grateful I was born with the amazing ability to explore it and share deep thoughts and feelings with other people.

I'm not one to believe that anyone or anything necessarily gives you purpose in your life. Purpose is derived from within, and as such the 'meaning of life' is an irrelevant question. The real question is, what is the meaning of YOUR life, and as you shape and explore this universe it inevitably becomes what defines you within the big picture.

I don't require some superficial notion that my body is merely a vessel into a world that is better than this one to see that life is something greater than myself. We are human beings, a natural creation of the universe. The very fact that our lives will come to an eternal end is what makes us...us, and what makes everything what it is. Everything dies, everything ends, and only when you can truely accept that, in my opinion, can you realize the true beauty is all around you just waiting for you to tap into it (Actually, I do have some ideas involving a universe that wasn't created and can't be destroyed, though another topic entirely XD).

Last edited by Reach; 01-15-2007 at 02:49 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #42
talisman
Resident Penguin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to talisman

skimskimskim

I think the more important question is why homo sapiens tends to assign 'purpose' and 'meaning' to things in the first place. What is the evolutionary function of retaining this artifcial 'structure' in our lives? How does it facilitate certain biological goals like reproduction and individual preservation?

I used to wonder alot about "the meaning of life" before I took a step back and realized any such debate surrounding this concept presupposes that there is a "meaning of life" in the first place! The idea is so attractive... so comforting, if you will, that it is easy to see how it has gained widespread appeal and universal inclusion into all religions. Yet "meaning" is a decidedly arbitrarily human idea, and almost inescapable at that.

So I decided that it's better not to think about what the meaning or purpose of one's life is, but just to live life and do what you want to. Sure, rely on the goal-oriented nature of human problem-solving to help you accomplish things, but don't confuse that with some sort of universal, or even personal, "purpose" or "meaning". It's unnecessary.
talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:35 PM   #43
Lucifericrucifix
Pathogen.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Lucifericrucifix

My motivation is merely progression as a being. We are severely flawed at birth and many of us continue to be until we reach the grave as well. My motivation is merely betterment of myself.
"What is good? All that heightens the feeling of power in man, the will to power, power itself. What is bad? All that is born of weakness. What is happiness? The feeling that power is growing, that resistance is overcome."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith in God is absurd, since it is impossible to know, or understand His purpose."
Lucifericrucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #44
cC@Zz
FFR Player

Alot of people want to better themselves and believe there is an afterlife. I wish I was more like those kinds of people, but I just can't believe theres an afterlife without proof. I still try to better myself but sometimes I feel like if there is no afterlife its all pointless.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #45
RandomPscho
FFR Player

It is all pointless. The reason for living is what you make it out to be.
RandomPscho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #46
slipstrike0159
FFR Player

Location: In the shadows behind you with my assassin's blade waiting to strike
Send a message via MSN to slipstrike0159

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRapingDragon View Post

If the brain is where your memories are stored, and it dies, then how can you keep your memories, what then do you believe to keep your memories, your "soul"? Or what?
Well there is a religion that belives that when christ comes again bringing the world into a new millenium that we will be resurected and we will live in our perfected bodies (which is primarily what i agree with). So... i guess that may answer your question if you dont believe that memories can be stored in your "soul".

slipstrike0159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:06 PM   #47
FFFZombii
FFR Player

I just hope there is an afterlife. Because I'd rather not spend my entire afterlife in complete darkness and inexistance (although I'm pretty young and shouldn't be talking, I still have plenty more years to come).
Old 01-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #48
BLAZZE-
Banned

This thread is making me emo.

Stop it.
BLAZZE- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:46 PM   #49
WindScarred's Mommy
FFR Player

Cool well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugomaru View Post
I want to see myself at the top one day. Life for me is a game. We are just walking through it gaining what we can. And even if there is no afterlife, I personally think that people do not truly die until they are forgotten.

~Tsugomaru
We have 2 goals in life,our first to start out almost completely unknown to the world.Our motivation is to move up in the ranks and become on top.We have to struggle,go through good times and bad but in the end it will all be worth it.Our Second Goal in life is to avoid Death...whatever the cost.Once we die we arent forgotten.Once you die then you wont care if there is not more for you....all you need in life is to know that other cared about you....and still do.........
WindScarred's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #50
WindScarred's Mommy
FFR Player

Unhappy Re: If you don't believe in an afterlife, what is your motivation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFFZombii View Post
I just hope there is an afterlife. Because I'd rather not spend my entire afterlife in complete darkness and inexistance (although I'm pretty young and shouldn't be talking, I still have plenty more years to come).
Well yes....I wonder what death is like...wether its just darkness forever....
Heaven where everything is sweet and pure with Angels (id say god and his son but im not sure what oher eligions believe in)
or Hell where we suffer eternally with the darkesst soul of all....Satan
(Last Name:Wong) (CHINEESE ARE EVIL!!!)
WindScarred's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:14 AM   #51
FoJaR
The Worst

Send a message via AIM to FoJaR Send a message via MSN to FoJaR

Quote:
Because I believe that memories are part of your brain, when you die your brain dies, if anything we are a collection of molecules, bacteria, etc. When we die all of that scatters to find another organism to inhabit, thus everything about "you" is broken up, scattered, and replaced. Thus, if anything of you "lives on" it will never be in the same original form, with the same original memories.

Apologies if some of that seems stupid, my science never was A* material.
nah that makes sense if that's what you believe i guess.

just didnt understand since you didnt explain it right off.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:15 AM   #52
FoJaR
The Worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj_leonine View Post
Dear Fojar, Quadruple post.
hey thanks! this forum doesnt have multi quote, at least not that i know of, and i'm too lazy to go around copying and pasting, so there ya go!
Old 01-16-2007, 02:18 AM   #53
FoJaR
The Worst

Quote:
Sarah, quick bit of advice, especially seeing as how this is the critical thinking section - try to type out your words. "You" instead of "u" takes no time at all. People will tend to not pay attention to your post as much if you litter it with "text speak" such as "tell u wut u were".

Also, you are talking about reincarnation.

Also, Fojar I forgot to mention, but you tell me you won't make the leap to believe that your memories will go at death, yet you also tell another person that the brain dies at death, meaning "no workey workey".

If the brain is where your memories are stored, and it dies, then how can you keep your memories, what then do you believe to keep your memories, your "soul"? Or what?
yeah, basically the soul can hold memories is what i believe.

and as i recall that kid said his brain like flew out and controlled a mothership upon death, or something.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:24 AM   #54
FoJaR
The Worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Shiyue View Post
Most of my motivation is that I want to make a mark on the world before I leave. Pretty much just something that people will remember me by when I'm gone. It scares me to think that once I die, that's it. No one will really remember me, etc.
that's a sad way to live.

and i'm not just saying that because i cant really stand you.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:05 AM   #55
FRANKKK
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Shiyue
Most of my motivation is that I want to make a mark on the world before I leave. Pretty much just something that people will remember me by when I'm gone. It scares me to think that once I die, that's it. No one will really remember me, etc.

i kinda see where your coming from with that, but i mean you shouldnt be worried because if you're happy that your living, thats all that really matters. you should be happy with yourself, thats what lifes all about
FRANKKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:28 AM   #56
Happy1n0n
FFR Player

I believe there's the possibility of an afterlife; I don't believe or disbelieve. However, my motivation would just be to enjoy life, be happy, have fun and so on... ^_^
Happy1n0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:00 AM   #57
FRANKKK
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

exactly
same here
thats how it should be
FRANKKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:29 AM   #58
8Shade8
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 8Shade8 Send a message via Skype™ to 8Shade8

My motivation? I think that if hope that if there is no afterlife, then I will be reincarnated. There has to be something right? Well ****, if I dissapear for eterntiy, I just hope that I can make the most out of this life.

People demand their freedom of speech, so as to avoid their freedom of thought. Keep the freedom you possess inherently, before someone else attempts to take it from you.
8Shade8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #59
masterhickle
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to masterhickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer-sp View Post
Ok first of all I think that ppl who dont believe in an afterlife dont have motivation for life but keep on living because there instincts are to do so. Its a sort of bio-mechanical natural response of such, they are also taught to by parents and such. Thats why ppl who are suicidal have broken what they are naturally trained to do, which is to survive.
I disagree with this statement.

I agree with the people that posted about not believing in the afterlife. If there is an afterlife, what is your motivation to do everything right in this life? If you have an afterlife, you get the chance to make up for what you did.

I live my life like there is no afterlife. It doesn't mean I'm suicidal, that I'm just living on my instincts. It means that I want to live my life in such a way that I have fun with it.

To answer the question more directly: My motivation is to have people remember me, and remember me well. Go out on top, "with all guns firing."
masterhickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #60
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

I agree with Reach.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote