Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 03:04 PM   #41
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Default RE: Re: RE: I cant belive it!

If people kept the torrents open, of course it still works. Suprnova itself doesn't host any of the programs.

Now, I don't really condone stealing, but I see this as different. If you take a stereo from the store, not only are you getting that stereo for free, but you're taking a tangible item that another person could have bought. The store had to buy that stereo, so you're taking the store's money, so they increase prices.

Online, however, you're not costing anybody money. If you're not gonna buy the game anyways, I don't see a problem with DLing it. For instance, there's no way in HELL I'm giving Michael Moore my money, so I downloaded his stupid movie. Or like, The Sims. I'm not gonna play that game! I treated my download of it as like, borrowing it from a friend or downloading a demo. I also DLed the HL2 beta a while back, and it was so good (and it was nowhere finished) that I plan on buying it as soon as I get money.

But I must say, modern day downloading's popularity is just like the popularity of alcohol during Prohibition. It doesn't matter how many secret taverns you shut down, more will just keep coming.

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:26 PM   #42
Anuj
FFR Player

Default RE: Re: RE: I cant belive it!

I accidentally downloaded the bitorrent file to my computer (the .tor file) so whenever I want to resume dling it, I Just open the .tor file and it resumes the download... like I said, you can't find likes to .tor files anymore, but if you have the .tor file already, you can dl stuff off bittorrent...

Anuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:48 PM   #43
dmleet
FFR Player

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: I cant belive it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbutterfly
If people kept the torrents open, of course it still works. Suprnova itself doesn't host any of the programs.

Now, I don't really condone stealing, but I see this as different. If you take a stereo from the store, not only are you getting that stereo for free, but you're taking a tangible item that another person could have bought. The store had to buy that stereo, so you're taking the store's money, so they increase prices.

Online, however, you're not costing anybody money. If you're not gonna buy the game anyways, I don't see a problem with DLing it. For instance, there's no way in HELL I'm giving Michael Moore my money, so I downloaded his stupid movie. Or like, The Sims. I'm not gonna play that game! I treated my download of it as like, borrowing it from a friend or downloading a demo. I also DLed the HL2 beta a while back, and it was so good (and it was nowhere finished) that I plan on buying it as soon as I get money.

But I must say, modern day downloading's popularity is just like the popularity of alcohol during Prohibition. It doesn't matter how many secret taverns you shut down, more will just keep coming.
Popular economics quote: TINSTAAFL. Meaning nothing can be really free for a cost. So, Michael Moore created a movie. Production is the cost, and you pay for your internet service to get the movie for download.

And about getting the game for free... Where did Sierra get the money for paying developers? Grahics designers? Computer programmers? From every single copy they sell. Now, when you're downloading it for free, Sierra loses money, because developers made the game, which Sierra paid for. You're right about one thing however, it's free for you.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:57 PM   #44
whorlichan
Tiny Plastic Meat

Send a message via AIM to whorlichan
Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I cant belive it!

dmleet: it's TANSTAAFL. There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Yay for Heinlein.
My friend Cassie's amazing photography
whorlichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:00 PM   #45
dmleet
FFR Player

Ain't is technically a slang.

But base on what I know it's "Is". They still mean the same so, =/...
Old 12-19-2004, 04:07 PM   #46
emccky
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to emccky Send a message via MSN to emccky

english is retarded.
emccky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:56 PM   #47
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Ok, first of all.

If you still have the BT file, you can still download stuff. Everybody should know that BT doesn't work over a network; it works through peers.

Second, yes, it's a shame that it had to take a dive, but it's not the end of the world. TR is still up and with all the same links. There's no problem here and I don't see why people are going nuts over this. Maybe it's because I never downloaded programs.

Third, there was some news concerning the banning of web trackers from certain sites, but it has no legal basis and thus can go nowhere. BT has two things that make it unique: 1) Sharing without the use of a network and 2) Never sharing the entire file. If it goes to court, those two things save the day. Kazaa won because their server was based outside of America. Well, there's no server to base BT on...

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:57 PM   #48
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmleet
Popular economics quote: TINSTAAFL. Meaning nothing can be really free for a cost. So, Michael Moore created a movie. Production is the cost, and you pay for your internet service to get the movie for download.

And about getting the game for free... Where did Sierra get the money for paying developers? Grahics designers? Computer programmers? From every single copy they sell. Now, when you're downloading it for free, Sierra loses money, because developers made the game, which Sierra paid for. You're right about one thing however, it's free for you.
You do realize I already covered all that, don't you? Obviously not. What you said assumes that any products gotten for free would be bought if they hadn't been acquired for free. If I'm not gonna buy the Sims, I'm not gonna give them my money. If I download it, it's not taking away any actual tangible items that were produced, so they lose nothing. Yeah, they don't gain anything, but I'm not costing them a dime.

Also, if I went to the store and stole the Sims off of the rack, I still wouldn't be costing the game company a cent. The store already bought all the copies of the game from the company, so the game developers have made their share. It is, however, cutting into the store's profits, since they paid for that copy and now nobody else can get it, so they wasted their money. I don't agree with stealing tangible goods, but downloading something does not have any effect on anybody's pocketbook.

Btw, me downloading HL2 is what's making me want it the most. I've gotten to play with the gravity gun and all that jazz, so I want the full game and I'm going to buy it. Don't give me any crap about "well you have to pay for the game to support them to make more cool games!" because that's what I do. It's like downloading a demo, and if you think the game sucks you don't buy it. If I download a game and love it, I'll go get the game (mostly to continue the goodness through multiplayer). It's like if you borrowed the game from your friend and loved it, you may decide to go get your own copy.

So no, nobody is losing money when I download things. Nobody at all.

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 06:34 PM   #49
Wayfaerer_
FFR Player

Different way of viewing it, but even though you are not costing anyone anything, you are undermining a profit that could have been made.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:37 PM   #50
emccky
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to emccky Send a message via MSN to emccky

they make enough money as it is.
emccky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 06:45 PM   #51
speedythx
FFR Player

Default RE: NO... >_< SUPRNOVA.ORG TORRENTS ARE GONE FOR GOOD

torrentspy dot com is my replacement
speedythx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 07:40 PM   #52
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909
Default RE: NO... >_< SUPRNOVA.ORG TORRENTS ARE GONE FOR GOOD

Hey sup guys, Sierra went belly up, they didn't publish HL2, Vivendi Universal did, kthx. Thought I'd mention that.

Anyway, to all the people saying that more sites will pop up, I'm not so sure. See, remember when the RIAA went on their P2P purging? I said "oh well, it'll be gone for two months and sixteen more sites will pop up." Only that never happened. The percentage of people still using P2P networks is something like 20% of the total previously. I'm worried about this...I'm gonna have to spend money now. =/
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:04 PM   #53
dmleet
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbutterfly

You do realize I already covered all that, don't you? Obviously not. What you said assumes that any products gotten for free would be bought if they hadn't been acquired for free. If I'm not gonna buy the Sims, I'm not gonna give them my money. If I download it, it's not taking away any actual tangible items that were produced, so they lose nothing. Yeah, they don't gain anything, but I'm not costing them a dime.

Also, if I went to the store and stole the Sims off of the rack, I still wouldn't be costing the game company a cent. The store already bought all the copies of the game from the company, so the game developers have made their share. It is, however, cutting into the store's profits, since they paid for that copy and now nobody else can get it, so they wasted their money. I don't agree with stealing tangible goods, but downloading something does not have any effect on anybody's pocketbook.

Btw, me downloading HL2 is what's making me want it the most. I've gotten to play with the gravity gun and all that jazz, so I want the full game and I'm going to buy it. Don't give me any crap about "well you have to pay for the game to support them to make more cool games!" because that's what I do. It's like downloading a demo, and if you think the game sucks you don't buy it. If I download a game and love it, I'll go get the game (mostly to continue the goodness through multiplayer). It's like if you borrowed the game from your friend and loved it, you may decide to go get your own copy.

So no, nobody is losing money when I download things. Nobody at all.
Okay, so why do you think suprnova.org closed? You don't see the effect in the long run.

So, you downloaded a program that isn't free, instead of buying from a retail store. If there are more and more people not buying the real thing, which is what is happening now, then what do you think those retail stores will do? They will stop buying such software because not as much people are buying them anymore, since people are getting those programs off the net, for free. And with not much retail stores buying wholesaled products, developers lose money since they are neither taking back what they spent and they're not making any profit just like retail stores. This is where the gov't starts acting. And if what you said is true, then I'm sure the government won't mind sites such as suprnova.org to float off the net because it doesn't hurt anybody, based on how you see this, when no one is losing money when you download programs that are not supposed to be free.

And I'm not telling you to buy off the shelf. I was simply discussing how Sierra loses money.

You kind of defeated the purpose of your post. You clearly explained who is losing money: retail stores, instead of you saying nobody is losing money as your conclusion.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:16 PM   #54
SotN
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SotN
Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I cant belive it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrESqueek
Ok, first of all.

If you still have the BT file, you can still download stuff. Everybody should know that BT doesn't work over a network; it works through peers.

Third, there was some news concerning the banning of web trackers from certain sites, but it has no legal basis and thus can go nowhere. BT has two things that make it unique: 1) Sharing without the use of a network and 2) Never sharing the entire file. If it goes to court, those two things save the day. Kazaa won because their server was based outside of America. Well, there's no server to base BT on...

~Squeek
Not quite correct. The health of a torrent depends on one thing, the tracker. The tracker is what tells your client which peers are connected to the torrrent. Then you connect to the peers who tell what they have and what they need. If the tracker were to go down, you still maintain those connections. If you disconnect from the torrent, most bt clients save the address of peers and can still connect to them of the tracker is down, but you cant connenct to anyone else. Why can you still connect to suprnova torrents and have a healthy tracker? There still two trackers that havent been shut down, but they only mirror the site. Meaning that as people hear the news suprnova died, the trackers die because no one's distributing torrent files.

There's currently a bittorrent client in development (made by the people of suprnova, oddly enough), that will totally circumvent the need for the tracker. Peers will share the addresses of other peers instead of relying on the tracker. It will also make the .torrent file itself invisble to the user, as peers will share it as well as the file. A torrent file is only the address of the tracker and crc32 hashes of the pieces of the file, after all.

All in all, bittorrent has two fatal weakness. Anyone can connect to the tracker and obtain the ips of all peers connected to the tracker, making the MPAA's job easy. And the health of the torrent depends solely on the tracker, giving those who feel wronged by it a single target to attack.

By the way, SuprNova was based in germany. Being outside of America rarely means anything, unless you live in a place like Russia. (where you'd be lucky to see legal software in its orignal box once in a blue moon)

VVV zildjian133, Sierra was bought by Vivendi.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:21 PM   #55
flypie743
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to flypie743
Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I cant belive it!

SotN =O!

IF YOU ARE THE BOMB YOU WILL CLICK THIS and if you dont, you suck.
flypie743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 04:22 PM   #56
zildjian133
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to zildjian133 Send a message via MSN to zildjian133 Send a message via Yahoo to zildjian133
Default Re: RE: NO... >_< SUPRNOVA.ORG TORRENTS ARE GONE FOR G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticrombie0909
Hey sup guys, Sierra went belly up, they didn't publish HL2, Vivendi Universal did, kthx. Thought I'd mention that.
I never heard of that, did they go bankrupt? Even if they did go bankrupt or close to bankrupt, it would most likely be caused by competition, I don't think illegal pirating of software can seriously drive a huge company like that to bankruptcy. But who knows :\
Old 12-20-2004, 05:50 PM   #57
CypherToorima
Boss of all bosses
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CypherToorima
Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I cant belive it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypie743
SotN =O!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:34 PM   #58
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I cant belive it!

I was wondering when someone would comment on those two things.

Anyone know if they are still working on the "trackerless" downloading system? Makes for some interesting downloadings.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:26 AM   #59
SotN
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SotN

Development is going smoothly. Much of it complete, actually. Download and publishing fucntionality is complete, though buggy.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:32 PM   #60
I-wanna-get-laid
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to I-wanna-get-laid

It's a real bummer though because that's where I always got my InuYasha episodes from...*cries*

So why is there a suprnova.ORG and a suprnova.COM?
Why is one free and why is one not?
I-wanna-get-laid is offline   Reply With Quote