Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #41
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
If you can simply "ignore" or "take your mind off" of depression, chances are you are okay. Depression is a disease. It requires medical assistance.
Maybe I am not saying it right. I do have depression, I am diagnosed with Depression with Anxiety. I know full well the meaning of depression, the difference between "depression" and "sadness." Mine comes in waves for some reason, and when it comes it's hard to even make myself get out of bed. I feel sick, and I have half the energy I had before I got into it. I sleep a lot longer and I can't get through a day at school without fighting with someone. I feel apathetic towards people things and situations around me, and I have a hard time relating to anyone, let alone sitting in the same room as them.
But what gets me out of this cycle is forcing myself. I force myself through everything. It is extremely hard, almost like trying to push on the side of a house in order for it to move. Eventually I realize that things are going to be okay, and that if I keep myself happy as much as possible I can forget about how hard life can be, and ignore how hard it is to do simple things.

It's not a "fix," it's not a "solution," it's a temporary measure for dealing with life. If I don't, no one will want to be around me, and my life might as well be compared to the slime on the walls. There are ways to deal with depression, and I hate when people think that it's just a one-shot "you're screwed bud, welcome to the life of taking pills erryday" sort of thing. The simple movement of thinking differently and keeping your chin up can work wonders, and it helps me forget that life is horrible and that I don't know why I am doing anything.

"Why do we do things? What is the point? Why am I supposed to wake up every day? Why can't I just sit here and be unhappy?"

It stops all those thoughts from keeping me down every day. It helps me tune out that set of ideas from clogging my spirit and draining me everyday of my one life. If anyone here knew what the **** it felt like, you would be helping too. Telling me that I don't have depression is a bit of an insult. I can't explain how bad it feels, and no one should ever know it personally.

edit: also it is not a disease, it's a mental disability.

Last edited by Pseudo Enigma; 09-25-2012 at 06:29 PM..
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #42
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma View Post
There are ways to deal with depression, and I hate when people think that it's just a one-shot "you're screwed bud, welcome to the life of taking pills erryday" sort of thing.
This is a myth. In many cases, it only takes a matter of weeks with psychotherapy + meds to help treat depression.

Nobody's saying it's a "one-shot" either. The point is that if you're depressed, go see a doctor. Telling people they can just will their depression away is just as silly as telling someone to will away their diabetes or pneumonia or something.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #43
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depression_(mood)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_depression

Quote:
depression

Use Depression in a sentence Origin
de·pres·sion

   [dih-presh-uhn] Show IPA
noun 1. the act of depressing.

2. the state of being depressed.

3. a depressed or sunken place or part; an area lower than the surrounding surface.

4. sadness; gloom; dejection.

5. Psychiatry . a condition of general emotional dejection and withdrawal; sadness greater and more prolonged than that warranted by any objective reason. Compare clinical depression.

look at me im sooo politically correctttt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #44
Zekramcross
The Break Ends
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Zekramcross

This thread is making me depressed just by reading it, but I'll make a contribution regardless. I have experienced depression a few times and came out just fine.

Depression can lead to more serious and sometimes lethal problems. I had a point where I felt unappreciated, not cared for, mentally weak, lonely, and just felt out of place in the world. I was like that for 2 weeks until I got tired of feeling the way I did and told my parents how I felt. That right there lifted a 1 ton weight off of my shoulders. My parents reassured me that everything will be alright and that there will be overwhelming problems you have to overcome in the future.

I would suggest talking to family or friends that actually care about you and that's willing to listen to you. This helped me a ton during these phases. Therapy also helps with this to clear up any foggy or underlying issues you have that may cause the depression. Try to keep a positive attitude as well.

Depression or any mental disorder is not something to joke about. People often suffer with bullying due to these disorders and often cause themselves harm or even kill themselves as a way to escape it. So please take not only my advice, but the advice from others who have posted as well.

Last edited by Zekramcross; 09-25-2012 at 06:36 PM..
Zekramcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #45
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
This is what a post would look more like if you actually where depressed.

You're an attention whore. You're not depressed if you can put an lol in that. You also haven't described any feelings at all that show me you are.

You've not gone into any description of when you started feeling this way, what set off your feelings or anything of that sort.

My advice is that you stop being an attention whore.
god you're a piece of shit, have you ever been "down in the dumps" before in your life? the first thing you should do is talk to people, whether that's on the internet or irl. the cool thing about the internet, though, is that you're hidden behind a computer. whoever judges you about it is just another dickhead online with a gay username (like yours)

to OP: don't try to self diagnose depression. If you really feel down, go see a psychiatrist. They'll do a couple of tests, ask you questions, and come to a conclusion. Worst case scenario, they'll put you on some kind of anti-depressant (prozac works wonders, by the way, it just takes a week or so to kick in). You can't "kick" depression, and if anyone tells you that you can, ask to see their psychology degree.

Until then, definitely hang out with friends. Call 'em up and go see a movie, go get lunch, do something.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #46
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
This is a myth. In many cases, it only takes a matter of weeks with psychotherapy + meds to help treat depression.

Nobody's saying it's a "one-shot" either. The point is that if you're depressed, go see a doctor. Telling people they can just will their depression away is just as silly as telling someone to will away their diabetes or pneumonia or something.
Fine, believe what you want to believe. I can't even say "it works for me" because then I'll come into a wave of "YOU DON'T HAVE IT THEN" or similar. I know what works for me, and if anyone wants to talk to me about it they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
god you're a piece of shit, have you ever been "down in the dumps" before in your life? the first thing you should do is talk to people, whether that's on the internet or irl. the cool thing about the internet, though, is that you're hidden behind a computer. whoever judges you about it is just another dickhead online with a gay username (like yours)
good, someone understands what I was talking about.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #47
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Fine, believe what you want to believe. I can't even say "it works for me" because then I'll come into a wave of "YOU DON'T HAVE IT THEN" or similar. I know what works for me, and if anyone wants to talk to me about it they can.
There are different kinds of depression, if you've had an issue with it for a while, you probably have Dysthymia or some other form of chronic depression.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #48
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

there are usually decreased levels of certain chemicals in your brain, but that doesn't necessarily mean that medicine will help with a case of major depression. however sometimes it takes the edge off and helps tie your current state with a state on the other shore, its like a boat, it isn't a fix but it will help carry you along until you can get somewhere else.

I say to hell with pills and medicine, but it does help some people, although I don't think everyone needs them. everyone likes to act like they know depression is all this and that and you need pills if you have anxiety yadda yadda but really, is that true. I just think about how much I was going through and what I was putting myself through in the endless cyclic thinking onto why meness etc... Therapy didn't pull me out of it in the end, either, it was all up to me.

So yes, you can go get help, but don't expect pills to be any sort of cure, for something that isn't necessarily "wrong" with you, more like, it is something that is part of your life, that's how I see it at this point. So find that next shore, find w/e it is you wanna do, once you can pull yourself out of that rut, and it usually does come. No matter how hopeless. It's good to have therapy and good to have someone who cares, ya it can be good to have medicine. But mostly its your deal and you have to experiment and not find yourself stuck in the ENDLESS RUT

it's what I call the place where people think they were depressed once so they're doomed to failure forever and that there's no options for them besides medication and omg i have a disease im so wack and my life is worthless so please guys just take it from me

dont listen to the pharmaceuti govt about these issues just listen to your heart and do what you gotta do
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.

Last edited by Syhto; 09-25-2012 at 06:53 PM..
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #49
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

One of my family members had a serious case of depression and shit was so scary. Everyone had to take turns to watch him 24/7 so nothing terrible happens... Before even trying, we all knew nothing can simply "encourage" or "convince" him away from it... He became much better after months of taking pills and psychotherapy, but still hasn't fully recovered.

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #50
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Hazelle

Depression=/=suicidal

Sure, it could lead to it, but...yeah. Just sayin'.
Hazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #51
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Glad we have gotten every opinion on depression out of the way. To bad the thread starter wont ever come back to read it.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #52
ReikonKeiri
i wanna be ur pop star
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to ReikonKeiri

I was thinking the same thing
@Middie I said pills are the only solution if you're depressed without a reason. It's a rare scenario, but it can happen. I could have just said that, but I felt like being difficult.

FMO AAAs (3): Heavenly Spores (68), Fast Asleep (67)!, 0 (piano version) (66)! VC AAAs: 76
Best VCs: Finders Keepers (64), Purple (64), Travel Demon (63), Final Step (63), A World of Piano (63), Balloon Fever (63), The Fusion (63)

It's Only Natural BF
Southern Cross BF
Minute Waltz v2 BF
Novo Mundo BF
Stark Raving Mad BF
Midnight Dragon 1-0-0-1
Choprite 2 clean
Rottel 2 clean
J&C 2 clean
Chronograph 2-1-0-1
BB Evo 3 clean
Staring at my Spaceship 3 clean
Epilogue 3-0-0-1
Banned Forever 3-0-0-1
World Tour 2004 3-0-1-4
Demon Beast Appearance 4 clean
Gacha Gacha Figu Atto Radio 4 clean
Gravity Blast 4 clean
Just Why 4 clean
Eternal Drain [Heavy] 4 clean
300 4-0-0-1
Pure Ruby 5 clean
Destination of the Heart 5 clean
Plasmatextor 5-0-0-4
Oni 6 clean
Yorukumoryuu Yamikaze 6 clean
Ambient Angels 6 clean
Colorful Course 6 clean
Hajnal 6 clean
Arsonist 7-0-0-1
Setsujou! Hyakka Ryouran 7-1-0-1
Face in the Gutter 8 clean
Kanon Medley 8 clean
Colibri 8 clean
Summer Time Perfume 8 clean
Blindfolds Aside 8-0-0-1
Bubble Bath Aftermath 8-0-0-1
Bloody Tears 8-0-0-2
Ochitsukeruwakenaiwayo! [Heavy] 9 clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogle-master View Post
To be fair, having all the BlazBlue's isn't good taste more then it is common sense.
ReikonKeiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #53
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

I go through periods of "depression" where I'm lonesome (I live alone, big spoiler) and feel unmotivated. Eventually get physically aching and generally feeling like shit.

Best remedy is to go out and do shit. Sitting in front of my computer is actually the worst thing ever. It's incredible how much going out and doing a bit of exercising can change your thoughts. Even just cleaning around the house or picking up a hobby that zones you out. I don't think your case of depression is a pill worthy one. Just taking control of your life and dealing with those emotions is all you need.

Sometimes even, all I need is a night out with some buddies. Play some pool, game out, have a few drinks. It's so typical and generic yet leaves me feeling ****ing awesome the next day.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #54
eastsideman09
poker face
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Middie is right about one thing, and that's that symptoms need to be present for at least 2 weeks before a legit diagnosis can be made for Major Depressive Disorder. Based on what I read in the OP, I would guess it's more than likely a case of "the blues", in which case the more casual suggestions would probably suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post

Quote:
Rubix is right, Pseudo. If your own symptoms are still present with whatever it is you're doing to treat it, then you probably need to change something. Medication, cognitive-behavior therapy, or a combination of the two is pretty effective for most people.

Electroconvulsive Therapy is very effective too. It pretty much is a one-shot treatment (when combined with continued medication). People respond well to it if absolutely nothing else seems to be working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arntonach View Post
wow ur pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
caring should be a get-outable offense
eastsideman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #55
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Personally, I don't want to take meds. They're expensive, and the side effects are worse than the main effects. As for cognitive therapy or even just talking to a councilor (or whatever version of the word is the one for talking about your feelings), I've gone to many different ones about it, and they all have no clue what to do with me. It's better to try to ignore it and see how long you can go before feeling like you just fell into what I call the "pit."

Kommi kinda described what I feel very well. If I had anything to add to it it's just overall inability to do things. I feel like the world is caving in on me, and I find it hard to find a solid reason to get anything done whether it's easy or hard. One time I just stopped bathing and brushing my teeth because it was just so impossible to get myself to do it. It's like being paralyzed while your body wants to move. I find it hell, and it's one of the small things I have to deal with when I get into that sort of state.

edit: and yes, this is related to depression because the thoughts of "why should I do these things" "what's the point" etc do drive me a little off the wall and emotional to the point where I want it to stop badly enough to off myself.

Anyway thread has probably served it's purpose since we've pretty much talked about everything there is to talk about. The OP seems to have forgotten about it, so there's not really much to talk about except going further down self-experiences and conversing over shit that generally should not be talked about in public.

Last edited by Pseudo Enigma; 09-25-2012 at 08:50 PM..
Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #56
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

if you don't feel like taking meds then don't take meds
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #57
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

I don't
~fuck da polis~
Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #58
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

This is nice and all...

but where's OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #59
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

OP will never return
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote