Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 04:12 PM   #21
Brainmaster07
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Brainmaster07

If you want a good selection of games which are both insanely hard (Ikaruga by a LONG SHOT, F-Zero GX) and have lots of freedom (SSBM, SMB, SMB2) I'd definately go GCN. The games have a lot more variety then other systems which specialize in just RPGS or just FPSs etc.

My favorite games (as said above) which I would highly suggest are probably:

Ikaruga. If you want a challenge like no other, get this game. No other game even COMES CLOSE to Ikaruga. It's kind of short (30min per run), but you could easily spend 100 hours just trying to beat hard without breaking your controller in half.

Tales of Symphonia. Comparable to SO3 if you've played it, great fighting system and a good plot (even if the dialogue isn't that great). Quite a bit of side areas with a lot of options for newgame+.

SMB/SMB2. They may look like kid games, but you could spend litterally hundreds of hours on this game and not perfect it. In fact, I HAVE spent hundreds of hours on this game. At one point I had 11 SMB2 world records, and let me tell you it's no easy feat. SMB is more challanging, especially unlocking master. In SMB you have to pass all expert and expert extra stages (60?) without dieing more then 3 times. It took me 2 years to do this, from what I can tell, less then 1% of people actually can get this far. Now SMB2 isn't nearly as challanging, but I like the feel more. I got to the master stages on the second day I had the game, as opposed to the second year, but I did have a lot of practice. Also, there is just so much freedom in the game, mostly practice mode competing for highscores. The stratagies to get the best time with the most bananas is endless, and some require days on days of practicing to even accomplish.

F-Zero GX. Great racing game, probably the hardest racing game I know of. Story mode will definately give you a run for your money, while story mode can range from semi-easy to pretty dang hard. The multiplayer is also very fun.

SSBM. Probably the best multiplayer fighting game. I think I've spent a grand total of 300 hours in multiplayer, between my friends/siblings and I. The challange mode is also pretty fun, although I could do without story mode.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:36 PM   #22
vashthestampede0987
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to vashthestampede0987

I will have to agree with you Brain. F-Zero's customizing between accleration and top speed was a pretty good setting to have. Its story mode is pretty good, but I really have never played a racing game with such an in depth story. The maps are good and multiplayer is always fun for a game like that. And of course SSBM is like the best multiplayer fighting game in the history of forever..in my opinion. I've spent a good...total playing time of a year playing the game...give er take a couple months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I hate myself.

Cheers,

Synthlight
xxpla tonic love: GIVE IT TO ME
xxpla tonic love: ****ing give it to me
vashthestampede0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:50 PM   #23
Musical_Master
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Musical_Master

Argh, I typed up a really long response, but my computer got and error and restarted. Crap.

Anyway, here are my comments on the GC.

-It has a huge library of games. Plus, since the Game Boy Player enables the GC to play GBA games, it expands the library.
-Some good games are SSBM, Super Monkey Ball(2), Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Mario Party 6, Metroid Prime(2), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker/Four Swords Adventures, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Pikmin(2), and Viewtiful Joe(2).
-The Gamecube is more durable than any other systems. People have dropped it on stairs and it still worked fine.
-It is a very portable system. It even has a handle for easy carrying.

I would go into an analysis of each game, but Squeek and some others have already done that.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:05 PM   #24
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

Word of warning: You will not like Metroid Prime or its sequel if you are used to Halo's controls and suck at adapting to different controller styles.

If Halo is not a problem, then by all means, get both Prime games, as both are astounding.

Also get Melee and basically everything else Squeek listed.
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:07 PM   #25
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrESqueek
16) Tales of Symphonia. Best RPG I've ever played. It'll take you 80 hours to beat it, but you'll beat it in a week due to its intrigue.
I beat ToS in about 3 and a half days. I don't think any game has ever taken my full attention for a week, though Star Ocean 3 and Xenogears have come close.

Actually screw it, I'm playing SO3 again on Universe, and then on 4D, and I still have to do the extra stuff. It'll take me at least 3 weeks.

On topic, Metroid Prime 2 is awesome. I finally got around to playing it... thank god for player's guides... not that I'll use it on the first playthrough, of course. I only got it so I could get 100% my second time through in a decent time.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:12 PM   #26
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Well, that's what I was getting at.

Basically, I bought it over the summer and had non-stop house-visits with my friends until we beat it. Every chance you get to play the game, you'll want to play it.

Also, what's with the Prime controls that nobody seems to like? They work fine for me. As Kilga said, it's tough not using the C-stick for looking and the Control stick for running, but you get used to it.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #27
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. My opinion of the Gamecube has changed a lot.

The main reason I am considering getting a Gamecube is because of Resident Evil 4. Yes, I do know it is coming out for the PS2, however, I am sure there will be sacrifices in the game (graphics) to have it run better. I also have been wanting to play Tales of Symphonia, and Zelda for sometime (I have never played any Zelda game...ever).

I was totally unaware that Sonic Adventure came out no GC, which is a big plus since I love that game.

Also, my a lot of my friends own the GC, and I could probably borrow some games from them.

Though, I am still not certain whether or not I will get one (well, not anytime soon anyways).
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:13 PM   #28
Musical_Master
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Musical_Master

Quote:
(I have never played any Zelda game...ever).
:O

You're missing out.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:03 AM   #29
Tsuteto
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tsuteto Send a message via MSN to Tsuteto

Mario Party is fun for group play on it. I have Sonic Adventure 2, which is fun to race against another person on it. Melee... just buy it because it's freaking awesome. Super Monkey Ball 2 is quite fun, as well as Wario Ware Inc.

I'm sure there's more games... but I'm too bloody tired to think of more, so meh.
Tsuteto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:33 AM   #30
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musical_Master
Quote:
(I have never played any Zelda game...ever).
:O

You're missing out.
I know....
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:35 AM   #31
Brainmaster07
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Brainmaster07

My first run of ToS only took me 35 hours. Of course I skipped most the extras. My mania file took a hell of a lot longer =p.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:10 PM   #32
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via MSN to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to suicidalmuskrat

"I have never played any Zelda game...ever"

get a snes and play link to the past, or get an N64 and play Ocarina of Time, as these tend to be the most widely popular ones, and IMO it'll help you appreciate wind waker even more.

And more on topic, i only heard one mention of the new mario game as being a reason to get the system, and I just wanted to re-emphasize this. Nintendo is holding off on any details (except that it will be coming to the Cube), for fear that rivals will steal some of the ingenius to concepts they have incorporated into the game. My interest is peaked.