Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-9-2004, 11:05 AM   #21
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

and what research studies have you gotten this amazing information from robby? maybe in canada laser surgery is shady, but here in the good ole USA, its extremely safe. my mother had it done about 5 years ago when it was fairly new technology. its become alot cheaper since then, so more people have had it done. more people get it done, more practice the docs have on it, the better they get at it.

my mother has had to go back for a few minor touch ups, but other than that, her surgery went fine. its routine now, pretty simple to do; low risk.

you really should try reading up on articles or news stories before jumping the gun on completely incorrect statements.
Old 12-9-2004, 11:08 AM   #22
Kefit
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kefit

Up through middle school, I had perfect vision. Then in high school it started getting a bit worse. I noticed, but didn't think it was that big of deal - my near vision is still perfect, I just have trouble reading things at a distance now.

Then it came time to get my learner's permit, and I barely passed the eyesight test that they give you. The person at the DMV suggested looking into glasses, and so I ended up with a pair of them before the end of the week.

My eyesight is around 20/40 in both eyes, so I only bother to wear my glasses when driving. For the rest of the time my poor eyesight is good enough to get by, I just have to make sure that I do things like sit near the front of a lecture hall.
Kefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 11:09 AM   #23
UWSTopGun
Banned

I'm not jumping the gun, I went and talked to my doctor about it and he gave me this website where they get people with REAL life stories about the disasters they had with the surgery and they put them on the website and show the shit that was done to them and how they are never going to be able to see again..it's basically to show the people like myself who don't want glasses who want the "easy way out" to consider what could happen if you take your chances with lazer eye surgey anywhere in the world.

EDIT: I'll try to get that website, I don't remember it though.
UWSTopGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 11:10 AM   #24
Lupin_the_3rd
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Lupin_the_3rd

Is it true that the more you wear glasses, the more you become dependent on them, and your eyesight without them gets worse?

I have glasses, but all they do is sharpen a little bit. It isn't totally necessary for me to wear them, but they do help.
Lupin_the_3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 11:13 AM   #25
UWSTopGun
Banned

Quote:
Is it true that the more you wear glasses, the more you become dependent on them, and your eyesight without them gets worse?

I don't think so, soon as your vision is corrected you won't need them anymore period. Everyone or everyone I know at least is glad to have had contacts or glasses for a certain amount of time and be finally done with it, others just can't be healed and need glasses for life.
Old 12-9-2004, 11:15 AM   #26
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

not sure about glasses, but contacts actually supress the rate of eye decay. something about the proteins that they cause to be built up on the eye.

and robby.... there are websites like that for messed up boob jobs too. just because 1% or so doesn't work out doesn't mean that it isn't safe. i mean... everyone loves boob jobs. plus, i'd check out the dates of when these peoples eyes were messed up. i'm willing to bet that the majority were a few years ago. as technology increases, new techniques are discovered using new and better lasers and the surgery becomes safer.
Old 12-9-2004, 11:15 AM   #27
UWSTopGun
Banned

I found this on a website it's basically a story of a man who had it done to him and blablabla....

Quote:
Is Laser Surgery for You?

For some, like Goldstein, laser surgery has been the ultimate freedom from the everyday hassles of contact lenses, and a second chance at having normal eyesight. But can everyone expect such dramatic results?

"The answer is no," says Rosenthal. "It's not a foolproof procedure and people need to know that some can end up with worse eyesight than before they went in."

Mary Ann Duke, M.D., a general ophthalmologist practicing in Potomac, Md., adds that there are other reasons why the expectations for laser surgery vary from person to person.

"People who are slow healers or who have ongoing medical conditions [such as glaucoma or diabetes] are not good candidates for laser surgery," she says. "That's why it's so important for patients to undergo a thorough examination with their doctor."

Poor candidates for this surgery also include those with uncontrolled vascular disease, autoimmune disease, or people with certain eye diseases involving the cornea or retina. Pregnant women should not have refractive surgery of any kind because the refraction of the eye may change during pregnancy.
The link is here for more... http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1998/498_eye.html
Old 12-9-2004, 11:18 AM   #28
netty400
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to netty400

Take you little CD, dust it off, turn it side-ways, and shove it straight up your candy ass.

K.

Anyone that can tell me who I quoted that from gets a cookie.
Knuck if you buck
http://www.lyricstop.com/k/knuckifyoubuck-crimemob.html
netty400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 11:33 AM   #29
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

I've had glasses since I was 5 or 6. I always hated them.

Got contacts in 8th grade which ruled since my lenses were the uber-think kind. I had really bad vision. I don't even know what the numbers are. It's probably 20/100+ at this point.

In my Junior year of high school, I randomly got an eye infection. It sucked so very much. I could not look above the 0 degree line (horizontal plane) or it would hurt. Looking at a monitor was impossible. Driving was impossible. School sucked for those three months, let me tell you.

The cause? Still unknown. I got away from that time with an Astigmatic right eye which randomly decided to go away last year.

~Squeek

PS - Don't break your glasses. I've broken at least two dozen pair by now.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 11:33 AM   #30
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

well, obviously robby. look at what they said... poor candidates. they tell everyone before getting the surgery who is and isn't a good dandidate for the surgery. if you aren't a good candidate, then obviously there is a high chance of errors. but, those diseases listed are mostly in the elderly... so, you and i have less worries.

its like i said, any surgery you can find people who had it messed up. no surgery is perfect, but many procedures are near perfect.
Old 12-9-2004, 11:56 AM   #31
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

I'm like 20/200 in each eye....

I want to get LASIK for my college graduation. I need to find out how good of a candidate I am for it. I'm pretty sure my eyesight is steady since my glasses and contacts still work great after 4+ years with the same prescription.

LASIK is really safe. If you're a good candidate, then you'll be fine as long as the doctor knows what he's doing. There's little risk, and I'm pretty sure all places have a lifetime guarantee. So if your eyesight goes back down the drain, they'll do touchups and such for free.
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 12:02 PM   #32
UWSTopGun
Banned

Well be very careful then Tass

I don't want surgery anymore and I also don't want to have to wear glasses but my eye is so bad to the point where im not allow contacts yet and ALL these years if I hadn't of been fucking around I would of been "cured". lol..im so dumb oollolololololl
Old 12-9-2004, 02:37 PM   #33
tnyhwk900
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to tnyhwk900

Go figure: My mom has bad vision, but my dad has around 20:10 vision. Of course, I get my mom's vision.

Anyway, I wear contacts. They are really nice after about an hour of wear, you can't even tell they're in anymore. Sometimes you forget you're wearing them.
Old 12-9-2004, 06:22 PM   #34
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

LOL. LD IS A NERD. HEY JAY, WANNA TRADE ME AN ARCHBOUND RAVENGER FOR BRINGER OF THE WHITE DAWN. LOL. NERD.

Meh, glasses are alright.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 06:26 PM   #35
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird
LOL. LD IS A NERD. HEY JAY, WANNA TRADE ME AN ARCHBOUND RAVENGER FOR BRINGER OF THE WHITE DAWN. LOL. NERD.

Sounds like a good trade to me *snort*
Old 12-9-2004, 06:28 PM   #36
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdarkness
Quote:

Sounds like a good trade to me *snort*
It would. Because you are a nerd.

ACCORDING TO MAPQUEST, LD IS A NERD.
Old 12-9-2004, 06:29 PM   #37
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

Quote:
Oh gawd.

Not this again.
Old 12-9-2004, 06:32 PM   #38
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdarkness
Quote:
Oh gawd.

Not this again.
Back like Jesus at the end of that movie.
Old 12-9-2004, 09:50 PM   #39
Tasuke
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tasuke Send a message via MSN to Tasuke

LD you should get those emo glasses,
and tell everyone you know that you have
suddenly turned emo.
Old 12-9-2004, 10:29 PM   #40
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasuke
LD you should get those emo glasses,
and tell everyone you know that you have
suddenly turned emo.
I had those a few years back...but I lost them paintballing...because paintballing is the emo thing to do.