evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolution_mastr
stuped predugests!
olol srsly i no rite 2 tru!!11one

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_boye
For example, someone in my Lit class yesterday got a quiz back and he had a poor mark, so he responded with "Man, this is so #$*". Is he homophobic? no. Is he #$*? I don't think so. So what is that all about?
Does gay mean homosexual? No, it means happy. It's slang. Can't stop people there.

And as to the original question, different people have different reasons. Some people do it because they're insecure about their own flaws. Others do it for attention. Others (like me) just make fun of their friends because it's something we can all laugh at. However, if any of my friends were to ever say "Seriously man, stop saying that, it's hurtful" I would stop and they know this. But they don't say anything, so we all pick on each other :P

And I was made fun of when I was younger (my name is Noah. I got a lot of teasing about my "ark." Plus I'm a shy nerd, so I caught flak for that, too). It really wasn't that bad. In fact, it has helped, because now I take criticism and am unaffected by stupid people's name-calling. No, I don't support bullying, but I do think that anybody who witnesses bullying (especially when it's just verbal) should talk to the bullied kid and tell them how to deal with bullies.

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
Old 12-12-2004, 07:01 PM   #22
yahiko_750665
FFR Player

honestly about 2 reasons

1:its human nature, if people feel violated or insecure, the tend to shove them on other people
2:its just how somepeople get the demented kicks.

im not a psycholigist nor do i claim to be, but stuff i happens, i speak from exeperince, and half the time, they dont/didnt get enough attention at home
Old 12-12-2004, 10:33 PM   #23
AZN_Kaibigan07
FFR Player

If it's not friendly banter between buddies or someone being a jerk for no reason, it's usually a case of someone taking out his/her frustrations at someone else because of his/her own imperfections. Jealousy can be a beast, yo.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:54 PM   #24
psychic25
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to psychic25 Send a message via MSN to psychic25

Well, a lot of the "degrading" comments you hear nowadays are just lighthearted jabs at close friends. It has just become a bonding thing, and there's not much malice behind most of the things you hear nowadays. As I am very idiosyncratic in some of the things I do (chronic perfectionist, etc) my friends like to make fun of me. And I don't mind, because it opens up great chances for jokes (which I laugh at as well) and also serves to knock me off my high horse when I'm getting too full of myself.

However, the actual bullying stuff- most likely that's caused by general anger. People just have a bad day and want to vent on somebody that they don't know and probably won't see again- at least that's what seems to happen with the older bullies. These are the kinds of people who you yell "JERK!" at after they knock you over in the middle of a crowded street, or something like that.

You can't overlook prejudice, either, though- there's a lot of hatred in prejudice. But as for younger bullies, it seems like they just hurt because they want power and they want to keep it.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:27 AM   #25
Sweetgothchild
FFR Player

I just have one question to ask ........
" why do you degrate others for no reason?"
you can't sit here and tell me that you have never degrated against someone so don't ask why others do it ask why you do it -Tifanie
Old 12-13-2004, 02:46 PM   #26
The_Q
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to The_Q Send a message via Yahoo to The_Q

Why does this topic exist? It says for no reason. How can you find reasoning behind something that we determined from the start has no reason?

And let me throw out my economic two cents worth. "Incentives Matter", that's why. Thank you.

Q

EDIT: More economic wisdom. The only way to fight bigotry is to be tolerant of it. Besides, being tolerant means you have access to more money!
Old 12-14-2004, 05:10 AM   #27
Jam930
FFR Player

For some people:

It's fun.
It's stress relieving(fun).
It kills time(fun).
"why not?"
and it gives those helping them attack a person a sense of connection and likeness with eachother.
Picking a common enemy - unification.

All of us have been annoyed at a person and felt like we needed to tell them what we think about them in order to get them to shutup. Or, just dissed on someone because you don't like who they are, what they stand for or believe in.

=/
Old 12-14-2004, 02:10 PM   #28
AZN_Kaibigan07
FFR Player

Quote:
All of us have been annoyed at a person and felt like we needed to tell them what we think about them in order to get them to shutup.
That's true, too. Also, there are some spoiled brats (and I don't mean just lil kids) that never shut the hell up until you do something that they want you to do. Wit those people, I just gotta tell them anything to get them to shut up...but I try to steer away from sayin somethin that'll make them really mad/sad.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:20 PM   #29
emccky
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to emccky Send a message via MSN to emccky

Don't call someone gay, call them a douschebag.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:31 PM   #30
CypherToorima
Boss of all bosses
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CypherToorima

More profound than Specforces
Old 12-20-2004, 11:42 AM   #31
tested
FFR Player

People degrade each other because they are degraded themself. Bullys and snobs, etc. get put low on most people's scales, so they feel the need to put the rest of the world substansially lower.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:30 PM   #32
Ana11
FFR Player

Why is it that people like to degrade other that aren't like them, it's just not right, at least to me. It just not right either, I dont even do that, unless they start it up to me.

So, you're saying because they do it, it makes it alright to be mean as well. "But he started it.." I thought most people grew out of that by the third grade.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:54 PM   #33
blkadegunner442
FFR Player

"hostility is the calling card to a weak intellect"ed, from edd and eddy. its somewhat true..
Old 12-28-2004, 09:02 AM   #34
Layla-Day
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Layla-Day Send a message via MSN to Layla-Day Send a message via Yahoo to Layla-Day

sometimes, its because the way they were raised...or because they dont know how to control their anger so they take it out on someone else.
Or, its because that person has somebody that picks on them...so they try to beat up other people.
but, we can't tell you the real reason they degrade each other because there is no one reason. they are mean and love to pick on people younger than them to make themselves seem stronger.
I know im not entirely innocent either....but now, i wish i could go back in time just to see how they felt....ubut it seems like nowadays everybody picks on somebody else sometime in their life.
so most of the time...its not of racial or religious reason. We just cant accept people who are not the same as us.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:29 AM   #35
Mychilli
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Mychilli

people degrate because they are degrated on in real life, and they take this anger and channel it to forum just to spam people and tell them how much they suck, but in there own mine, they know how much they suck themselfs
Old 12-29-2004, 01:07 AM   #36
VegetaRobGT
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to VegetaRobGT Send a message via MSN to VegetaRobGT

if someone is degraded say, another person it is evident that they have a either a big flaw or insecurity in life, like ppl who are poking fun are usually really creepy and making fun of the cool ppl, but sometimes ppl just suck at life and its fun to point it out
Old 01-21-2005, 10:19 PM   #37
LokiSuku
FFR Player

Location: Yoru basement, under the dryer and right next to the that chair.
Send a message via Yahoo to LokiSuku

becausee they are people.

Thats why I just don't care anymore. People will talk, whatever. **** 'em.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:17 AM   #38
CaRmZ
FFR Player

personal pleasure thats one thing....having no life thats 2 and because their stupid and wish to be like the person they are degrading thats 3.......I just wish that people would all get along and stop discriminating or as people say "hating" lol on others....just because I live where I live doesn't mean I am gonna get all in your face and hate you no cuz I am not like that.....