Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > Brag Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 12:11 PM   #21
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origamikid
and why SHOULDN'T BPM scroll have anythign to do with difficulty? even on songs w/o BPM changes...
Stepmania's default LIMITS the player in the ability to play at their best. It's cheap. Everyone should be allowed to play at their best. I play at my best at 650. That's why I play on it.

Saying there should be a limit in bpm choices is like telling people on the pro tennis tour can only have a selection of these certain raquets.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:14 PM   #22
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origamikid
It isn't cheap that he has the advantage in that case, because the advantage is because of SKILL... not the program... Mwerp will beat u at fast speed modded songs BECAUSE he is SKILLED at reading fast bpms...
Only on extreme cases it could be considered skill. I'll go back to my tennis example. If a pro player defeats another player with a wooden raquet, that takes some extra skill. But if a pro player defeats another player because the other player isn't using a raquet they are comfortable with (because they had to use the raquet), then that isn't skill. That's an advantage. Just like how some people have an advantage for being able to read at their comfort zone over someone who can't read at their comfort zone because of the limits of Stepmania's default metrics.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:17 PM   #23
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

It only gets worse the faster you read.

If my comfort zone was 835-865 (it was at a point) and I have some songs at 150, 160, 170, and 180, for example, I have to have 5.5x, 5.25x, 5x, and 4.75x to adjust accordingly.

At 150, I'd use 5.5x. Not too much of a problem.
At 160, I'd be forced to make a 5.25x. 5x is 800; too slow. 5.5x is 880; too fast.
At 170, I'd use 5x and get it perfect.
At 180, I'd be forced to make a 4.75x. 5x is way too fast and 4x is horribly slow.

This example doesn't take into account EVERY speed. Just the most prevalent. Just for those four, I'd have to use four speed mods of 11. Then I have to leave in 1.5x for Tokyo Style, blur, and Gabber, have 2x for songs like Outer Limits and Going on Spring Wind. I'd need 2.5x for Reality and ASb. 3x is an obvious necessity for 190-210. 3.5x is necessary for 160-180 stuff.

There's just too much crap that I don't want to have to worry about. If I'm just playing to see how good I can do on a song and fluke out an AAA (not likely), I doubt I'd be able to do it again with the C mod or with the X mod.

~Squeek
Old 09-30-2004, 12:20 PM   #24
Origamikid
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Origamikid

it LIMITS the players ability to cater to their ideal's... but it also forces everyone to teh same playing field... a more closely accurate comparison to tennis would be liek saying a person can modify the dimensions of their half of the court (to some extent) to cater to their ideals...

when you say playing at your best... SM doesn't in any way stop you from playing at your best... it comes with certain regulations... what you are doing by modding the metrics is taking away those rules to allow you to optimize your performance... but then that's taking away from the other person who doesn't gain anything by removing the regulations...

O yeah, and odd fact, all pro tennis rackets need to have strings going in both directions... cuz one time someone came in with strings only vertically and was able to give the ball craaaazy spin, so the banned that... what if players used rackets of different sizes and shapes?

Anuj: ORIGAMIKID WINS FOREVER

banditcom: hmm i can still surf the forums... cool
banditcom: XD
banditcom: im not tsuttered
Old 09-30-2004, 12:25 PM   #25
banditcom
FFR Player

Of course there have to be some limitations. The limitations are songs with bpm changes/stops.

I will NOT choose to play at a scroll of 500 because of Stepmania's limits. Why the hell would I choose to read outside of my comfort zone in such a competitive game? Uhh DUH. Think about it for a second. I want to play my best. My best is at 650. My scores really wouldn't account for much if I could do a lot better on them because I played on 500. They would mean nothing because they would not be a good indication of my full skill.

EDIT: By the way, and trust me on this. I do look at people's scroll speeds. I have realized that if on some songs like Arrabbiata, that if you used a scroll speed that was in your comfort zone, that you would do a lot better.

EDIT 2: This is why I want everyone to play at their comfort zones. It's hard for me to guage how better you would do on Arrabbiata, Origami, if you only did it outside of your comfort zone. Thus it makes it harder to tell who's better than who, etc, cause it's not definitive.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:35 PM   #26
Origamikid
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Origamikid

being able to cope with differences in BPM settings is a PART of showing full skill... you want to play your best... and you can... but by best, that doesn't exclude BPM scroll... meaning, for say NGCBD, which is liek 140 I think? 4x is 560, 8x is obviously too fast for you... therefore YOUR BEST SCORE is a score that you would receive on 4x, because it IS the best that you can do without messing with the game to make it easier for you... your scores WOULD accoutn for much, if at least for yourself, because it shows that you overcame or are dealing with an adverse variable... do I continue to play Blade on 5x? nah, I went back to 4x with my horrible scores because it's a part of the challenge... the best I can do on Blade is my score on 4x because it is the best supplied mod there is for me...

let's say you are a fencer... competition fences with foil, sabre, and epee... let's say you create your OWN kind of blade... are you suggesting that you can compete against the ppl using foils legitimately while using your own new blade with different properties? Or maybe you can use an epee blade against other foilers... The fact that this IS a competetive game is WHY it's important to be at an even playing field...

uhh... I gotta be at chem recitation at 4:30, and I need to do a shitload of problems due then... I'll bbl...

Anuj: ORIGAMIKID WINS FOREVER

banditcom: hmm i can still surf the forums... cool
banditcom: XD
banditcom: im not tsuttered
Old 09-30-2004, 02:06 PM   #27
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

using cwhatever on songs with constant bpm is fine, I just haven't done it in the past because I get an error when I use it

I say this because in FFR R2, which will be the obvious competitive medium for fingerdance battles, is going to have that little slider that you move with your mouse which you can get down to the 0.01 so you can have 5.83x or something if you want (it goes up to 6, so people can't be TOO lame with it)
Old 09-30-2004, 02:14 PM   #28
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

i still agree completely with bandicom... although i don't think the analogies are perfect...

what about this... with a tennis racquet... stepmania offers only 11 different racquets, when there are 100,000 on the market. i personally like racquet #23,612 while bandicom likes #61,830... both of us want to use OUR racquet when playing, not one of the limited few offered to us... so while you are comfortable to conform to the standards offered... we wish to break through the boudaries and make the standards conform to us.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:20 PM   #29
fusi0n
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to fusi0n

Doesn't matter people are still going to use it, sorry.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:27 PM   #30
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

0-99 = 8x
100-155 = 5x
156-190 = 4x
191-240 = 3x
241-275 = 2.5x (Foonmod+ has this by default, it's not editing)
276-370 = 2x
371+ = 1.5x

That's how I do it.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Old 09-30-2004, 03:13 PM   #31
User6773

Foonmod+ also has 1.75x, which is supremely useful on PSMO.

Old 09-30-2004, 04:16 PM   #32
ThEclipse
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ThEclipse

WHY DONT WE ALL PLAY ON X1 SO NO ONE IS FIGHTING

K?
Old 09-30-2004, 04:36 PM   #33
Kenzya
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kenzya

Holy shit. Who the fuck cares? What fucking difference does it make anyway?

I don't understand why everything here has to turn into an argument. I don't understand why this has to be an argument. Stepmania has changed the speedmods CONSTANTLY.. They've made it so YOU could edit the mods and they've made it obvious.

Why not let people have edited metrics? Don't be an uptight little bitch.

As for Cmods, as long as the song has no stops or serious BPM changes, who cares? It'd be the same thing as edited in a mod to get that speed.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:36 PM   #34
fusi0n
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to fusi0n

The people that think Cmods are cheap period have the same arguement as DDR players that only play on 1x.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:49 PM   #35
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

1x vs 2x and 1x vs C400 are vastly different comparisons.
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #36
Kenzya
FFR Player

Not if the song's BPM is 200.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:56 PM   #37
eVILPeeR
FFR Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to eVILPeeR Send a message via MSN to eVILPeeR

Alright.. since I'm against editted metrics, I might aswell post.
First of all, let me tell you the MAIN reason it's cheap.
You're fucking editting the software to make it easier for you. If that isn't as cheap as using a cheat code on some old SNES game, I'm not sure what is.

Yes, I can read a little faster then most, but I've adjusted for that. I learned over time to read that fast. I didn't need to edit my software to make it easier for me so I could get scores like other people. Plus, it feels like cheating. The only editted mod I have is 5x, and I don't consider that an "editted mod" for the sole reason it's on DDR, and has been in previous Stepmania's many times before. 3.00 final has 3x, 4x and 5x.

Honestly though, if the SM team decided to stop including the speed mod metric coding in their themes, you guys would be complaining quite a bit. Granted you would use older alpha's, but over time you would have to switch.

Speed reads for me:
0-80bpm = 8x.
80bpm-135bpm = 5x
135bpm-180bpm = 4x
180bpm-230bpm = 3x
230bpm-360bpm = 2x
360bpm-500bpm = 1.5x
500bpm+ = 1x

This is what I have learned to play by. Soon those BPM speeds will increase for each mod.. but you know, like I said, I've learned to play with just those mods.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:34 PM   #38
Kenzya
FFR Player

But you edited in 5x. The only reason you say it's wrong is because THE STEPMANIA TEAM PUT THEM IN FOR A REASON. Well, obviously, the Stepmania team TOOK IT OUT FOR A REASON. Yes? If what they do with their program is law, why don't you leave it out?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:20 PM   #39
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Actually 5x isn't in by default because it makes the speed mods too numerous to display all at once.

You may notice that it is the ONLY mod you can edit in without errors occurring. That is because it is defined in english.ini already, and is therefore free game.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Old 09-30-2004, 07:21 PM   #40
justaguy
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to justaguy

who the fuck cares what speed you are on

no really why do you all give a shit what other people play on

it's not you so who the fuck cares

do you want someone coming into your brag thread saying OH HE CHEATED USING A CMOD

no so this has turned into a stupid debate on cmods and should be locked despite arch's good scores