Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #21
Tristana
Banned

Default Re: I ****ing loathe cynicism.

i'm one of those so called cynics but i choose to be a dick to certain people

i'll admit i'm a huge asshole to people on this website (jprox, midnight, justinator, noisore, thatskier, etc) but that's because they've been massive assholes to me before as well

i dont look down on people that are stuck in bad situations, if anything i've helped a ton of people get up on their feet from depression and bad situations in high school because i was one of those dejected kids

anyhow i'm a cynic and i dont lack empathy and understanding
i've been through similar paths, maybe ive been too harsh on some of the people on this website but i hope you guys realize i've been treated like utter shit by many people from this website even before i bashed people on this website

its just that usually the people i have beef with on this website.. well.. they have minimum wages jobs or no respectable aspect to their lives so i poke at that

oops treat others how you want to be treated
Tristana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #22
moches
FFR Player

Understandable. I wasn't pointing that at anybody, just an observation.
moches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #23
xferrarix
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to xferrarix

okay thats it

everyone grab your gamecube controllers

final destination fox only no items
Old 09-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #24
m0de
Marble Eater
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to m0de

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2P View Post
They're doing something productive with their time, and yeah, working at McDonalds, or Kroger, or Wal-Mart - they might not be the best jobs in the world, but at least they're doing honest work, and you MOCK them!
well put. my job title is considered equal to a mcdonalds worker, but my income is a bit more ($500 a week). i get looked at as a "dirty mexican that doesnt speak english and spends my earnings on cocaine". although ive learned to shrug off these douche bag comments, and im quite content with what i have even if it isnt much.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #25
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by moches View Post
One thing that all these cynics have in common is that they completely lack empathy and understanding for the circumstances other people are in. They believe that if people are in bad situations, it must be because they are bad people, and that justifies their looking down on them. They're the same people who shout about how nobody tries hard enough when they were handed everything on a silver platter.
This! This! 1000 times this!

See: right-wing political pundits.
See Also: Howard Stern (Why hasn't this guy retired by now? He's useless and remains relevant and "edgy" only to the 50-60 year old demographic of which he is a part. He's completely out of touch with the younger generations and it's a joke he considers himself 'The King of All Media' when he's a virtual nothing on the biggest medium of all -- The Internet! Very cynical, no-talent, big-talker guy.)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #26
Niala
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Niala Send a message via Skype™ to Niala

I could say a lot on the subject but I'll leave it at something simple:

Treat others how you want to be treated. Tacky but true.
Niala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #27
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristana View Post
if anything I've helped a ton of people get up on their feet from depression and bad situations in high school because I was one of those dejected kids

anyhow I'm a cynic and I don't lack empathy and understanding
I've been through similar paths, maybe I've been too harsh on some of the people on this website but i hope you guys realize I've been treated like utter shit by many people from this website even before i bashed people on this website
No one here would think I was telling the truth but I've helped a good deal of people I know myself. I wouldn't say I was "dejected" more like I was kind of the one doing the rejecting, if that makes any sense. I'm pretty sure anyone who frequents here can/has figured out I'm not the best with people. I'm just very mistrusting due to things that have happened in my life, such as my first four years of elementary school being picked on, coming to terms with my mental condition and the like.

I'm also very much considered a cynic (I don't agree with it but majority rules or some nonsense like that) and also again contrary to what you think I'm not completely void of empathy. If I was, to argue my point here, I wouldn't be able to figure out what buttons to push to piss off people so quickly. You can read the emotions of things you're told and use it to drive a conversation to make someone leave ect. You might argue I'm countering my argument by admitting I'd actually do and have done that. But, it proves I can in fact recognize emotions and react in a way of my choice.

Another thing is, I wouldn't go far enough to say cynics can't be polite and courteous people, I'd just say they're extremely picky and blunt people. You could go far enough to say they're slightly misguided, but that may or may not be true depending on the person.

Just my shortened two cents I guess. I only skimmed the posts really.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #28
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2P View Post
Cynics don't help at all when they mock someone for working at a minimum wage job, like they're second-class beings. THEY'RE NOT, YOU JACKASS. They're doing something productive with their time, and yeah, working at McDonalds, or Kroger, or Wal-Mart - they might not be the best jobs in the world, but at least they're doing honest work, and you MOCK them!
I really don't understand the mentality behind the insults and mockery, on any level. Why are you concerned with how much money someone else is paid per hour? Why would you care enough to open your trap about it? What the hell would you do if there weren't anyone to work these jobs, do them yourself? Clearly that's "below" you, so I guess you absolutely rely on these workers. Sounds like a fantastic reason to spit in someone's face! Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristana View Post
maybe ive been too harsh on some of the people on this website but i hope you guys realize i've been treated like utter shit by many people from this website even before i bashed people on this website
That's not an acceptable justification.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #29
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

cynicism isn't wisdom, it's just a lazy way to say that you've been burned

it seems, if anything, you'd be less certain after everything you ever learned

nerds
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #30
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I dunno about cynicism, but as far as looking down on people for things that aren't entirely their fault, I agree it just shows a lack of empathy and understanding. A lot of the Republican platform this year is based on that idea of thinking entire groups of people are categorically worse than you, and honestly it's pretty hard to respect anyone who thinks like that. People used to talk about walking a mile in another man's shoes, although you don't hear that much anymore. But I still think you can't really understand someone else's situation unless you at least make a serious effort to imagine yourself in their position (and not some idealized form of it, either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
I'm not the best with people.
Officially nominating this for understatement of the year 2012
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #31
smartdude1212
2 is poo
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I worked at McD's for 4.5 years before finally quitting because I now have two jobs at university, and constantly received criticism from my own mother for not getting other, higher-paying jobs. McD's is incredibly flexible for scheduling though. Where else could I work only weekends, take off 2-3 weeks at a time for finals, practically set my own hours, and decide how often I work come summer break? The choices are few. Didn't stop my mother from being a bitch about it though.

Lucky for me, my grandmother always says that there is honour in every job -- and I agree. Unless you've worked at McD's, it's difficult to get a sense of how much is expected of you. Sure, it's a minimum wage job (and has spawned the term McJob, which is infuriating in itself), but it only receives such a bad reputation because there are those who think they can slack the **** off whenever they please.

I claim that those 4.5 years there had an overall positive impact on me though. Yes, there were days when I hated my own job, and times when I said that I'm glad I won't be making a career out of it. But for the "lifers" (as some affectionately refer to themselves), I now choose not to criticize them for making it their career. Sure, I believe that some would be better off elsewhere, but at management level, McD's is no longer an "easy" job. It's far more demanding than most people think, and requires a stupid amount of patience.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but basically, some customers need to grow the **** up.
smartdude1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #32
C.C. Rider
Banned

This thread is chock full of bullshit. It's obvious that some of the posters in this thread do not know exactly what cynicism is. Cynics are not all assholes who "lack empathy and understanding". That is complete and utter bullshit. Yes, some people make rude comments. Yes, some people don't care how you feel and will talk down to you, but that doesn't mean that people who make those types of comments are cynics. A cynical person is one who doubts and questions everything. Cynics are not just people "who dont do anything productive". It seems to me like a lot of the people in this thread just want something to blame for their grievances. Cynical people are not what you should be blaming. Cynics are people who question bullshit when they see it.
C.C. Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #33
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

obviosly ur just cynic and dont care about ppl so im going to disgregard u enitrely cause the opinins of cynics dont matter
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #34
Senri Akane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. Rider View Post
This thread is chock full of bullshit. It's obvious that some of the posters in this thread do not know exactly what cynicism is. Cynics are not all assholes who "lack empathy and understanding". That is complete and utter bullshit. Yes, some people make rude comments. Yes, some people don't care how you feel and will talk down to you, but that doesn't mean that people who make those types of comments are cynics. A cynical person is one who doubts and questions everything. Cynics are not just people "who dont do anything productive". It seems to me like a lot of the people in this thread just want something to blame for their grievances. Cynical people are not what you should be blaming. Cynics are people who question bullshit when they see it.
Nice first post. ♡
Senri Akane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #35
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

The sad thing about cynism is that it's nothing other than realistic criticism/skepticism*, which means that, most of the time, the cynics are right even if we'd wish they weren't.

*Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #36
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. Rider View Post
A cynical person is one who doubts and questions everything.
So basically, being unreasonably skeptical. Got it.

It's not bad to question your surroundings, but what use is it if you don't have an answer?
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #37
Emanresu13
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

i question everything, and i can give you an answer to everything

you just might not like my answer, but that's not my problem

disrespecting people for whatever reason isn't necessarily cynicism, it's being a dick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
^
Emanresu13 is offline   Reply With Quote