Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-9-2004, 07:40 PM   #21
CypherToorima
Boss of all bosses
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CypherToorima
Default RE: Re: RE: Free grammar lessons!

ARROW'D

Finally, maybe people will start using proper grammar.
Old 12-9-2004, 07:40 PM   #22
footfairyman07
FFR Player

Default RE: Free grammar lessons!

A false statement has been made. In some situations, one may be required to use an apostrophe to pluralize, in order to be gramatically correct. If one is going to pluralize a letter or a number, that person uses an apostrophe.

EX. Sara got 3 A's and 2 B's on her report card.
EX. John can now count by 2's, 3's, and 4's.
footfairyman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 07:41 PM   #23
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Actually I, and many others I'd say, use the apostrophe past tense thing because of Homestar Runner. In the Teen Girl Squad cartoons, there's always some strange thing in the middle of it where a guy comes out of nowhere and yells something. In one of these cartoons, the strange man says "MSG'd!" I was so awstruck. After that, I was reading Romeo and Juliet and I noticed something. Back in Elizibethan era, the e in past tense forms was pronounced, so if they wanted the e to not be pronounced, like it is these days, they'd put an apostrophe in the place of the e. After I made note of this, I began using apostrophes in this manner whenever I had the opportunity.
Old 12-9-2004, 07:41 PM   #24
hydrojakep
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to hydrojakep Send a message via AIM to hydrojakep Send a message via MSN to hydrojakep Send a message via Yahoo to hydrojakep

omg wtfux first post.

hydrojakep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 07:43 PM   #25
HansSky
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to HansSky
Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Free grammar lessons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherToorima
ARROW'D

Finally, maybe people will start using proper grammar.
Oh shit, I didn't even think about that. Although, it's not used correctly in HSR. But, HSR doesn't really follow any rules, so I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 12-9-2004, 07:47 PM   #26
flypie743
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to flypie743
Default Re: RE: Free grammar lessons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrESqueek
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypie743
Im going to save this to my computer. Your a genius.
The author of this thread prays that you were being sarcastic with your non-apostrophes.

I'm*

You're*

~Squeek
Yes, I was being sarcastic :P

IF YOU ARE THE BOMB YOU WILL CLICK THIS and if you dont, you suck.
flypie743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 07:49 PM   #27
tnyhwk900
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to tnyhwk900

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypie743
Yes, I was being sarcastic :P
*Yes, I was being sarcastic.
Old 12-9-2004, 07:50 PM   #28
flypie743
FFR Player

I don't like to put periods before smilies. Thank you.

Old 12-9-2004, 07:53 PM   #29
tnyhwk900
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to tnyhwk900

It's not grammatically accurate, though.
Old 12-9-2004, 07:55 PM   #30
hydrojakep
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to hydrojakep Send a message via AIM to hydrojakep Send a message via MSN to hydrojakep Send a message via Yahoo to hydrojakep

Gramar polic is here

hydrojakep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 07:55 PM   #31
flypie743
FFR Player

I don't care. It is a personal way of doing things.

Old 12-9-2004, 07:58 PM   #32
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfairyman07
A false statement has been made. In some situations, one may be required to use an apostrophe to pluralize, in order to be gramatically correct. If one is going to pluralize a letter or a number, that person uses an apostrophe.

EX. Sara got 3 A's and 2 B's on her report card.
EX. John can now count by 2's, 3's, and 4's.
I'd like a source for the numbers, please. I have confirmed your letter use as proper and will adjust accordingly. However, I have not found anything that suggests the use of an apostrophe to pluralize any number. I would also like a confirmation on whether or not you do the same for numbers greater than ten or one hundred. I do know for a fact that you do not do so on years.

I will add it anyway until it is proven wrong.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 08:39 PM   #33
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

APOSTROPHES IN POSSESSIVES

Squeek touched on part of this, but the rest is not the most well-understood of subjects, so mistakes of this kind are often overlooked. I'll try to clear some of this up.

Case 1: Singular possessives that do not end in 's'. Everyone knows how to do these. Add an apostrophe and 's', e.g. "chair's legs", "Mary's face", etc.

Case 2: Plural possessives that do not end in 's'. Like with singular nouns, these are often quite obvious. "The children's homework," "the deer's meat," and "the feet's smell" are all examples.

Case 3: Singular possessives that end in 's'. Unlike with plural possessives, these WILL NOT terminate in an apostrophe simply because they are singular. "Chris's hand," "Tyler Jones's room," or "my boss's job" all end with an apostrophe and 's' just like the other singular possessives.

Case 4: Plural possessives that end in 's'. With these nouns is the ONLY time (save for the two exceptions that will be noted below) that a word terminates in an apostrophe. Examples: "The Millers' house," "the students' homework," and "the rabbits' down." Also note that regardless of the structure, surnames will take the apostrophe after the pluralization. This can look especially awkward with -es names such as with Jones, but the dog belonging to the entire family is still "the Joneses' dog."

Case 5: Exceptions.
  1. Obviously, as Squeek has said, "its" is what you should use to denote something belonging to whatever "it" is. It is a singular possessive that does not take an apostrophe, so it is an exception to Case 1.
  2. Moses and Jesus. These are the only two singular possessive nouns that terminate in an apostrophe. For some reason, philologists saw fit to let these two figures be special, so don't flip out if you read about "Moses' staff" or "Jesus' word," because they are completely fine.

That's all for now. I think I'm going to have fun writing these.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 08:44 PM   #34
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Guido, I'd love to have you on the team. Feel free to amend anything you wish to amend.

Also note that I edited in a massive amount of things I will update tomorrow.

~Squeek
Old 12-9-2004, 09:14 PM   #35
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

Requesting that image get edited into the beginning of the topic post.
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 09:28 PM   #36
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Permission granted.

It is well deserved.

~Squeek
Old 12-9-2004, 09:35 PM   #37
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

You're welcome for the sticky. I've been waiting for something like this. The unpreposessing atmosphere of the forums needs to be reversed.

Also, I have added finished / done to chapter 5 for you.
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2004, 11:41 PM   #38
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

VARIOUS TOPICS BY GUIDO

Okay, let me start by discussing the simple sentence structure of the English language. We have a SVO system in English, that is to say, a simple sentence will begin with a subject, then have a conjugated verb which may or may not be followed by an object (Japanese, by contrast, has an SOV system).

The sentence "I hit the ball" has those three parts. "I" is the subject, "hit" is the verb, and "the ball" is the object.

I have a chain of logic with this, so please bear with me; I know y'all aren't first graders.

Now, when it comes to people and the words that represent them, there are often two different words that represent the same thing. Such words are I/me, we/us, he/him, she/her, and they/them. Obviously, these words, although they represent the same things in their respective pairs, cannot be used interchangeably, so there must be a difference.

That difference is that the first word in each pair is the subjectiveform, and the second is the objective form. As you may have guessed, the subjective form is used when the idea represented by the word is the subject of the sentence, and the object is used when the idea is the object.

Example: I hit the ball. The ball hit me

This is why it's incorrect to answer a ringing phone and, upon the other end asking for you, say, "This is him." You should, in fact, say, "This is he." Also, you can now understand why it's so wrong use the common phrase in its original form of, "Woe is me."

Read: Woe is I, by Patricia T. O'Conner.

Now that that's been said, we're now ready to cover the differences between "who" and "whom."

Simply put, "who" is subjective and "whom" is objective. But there is one more thing I need to add. When you have a prepositional phrase (a preposition followed by a noun or a noun phrase), the noun part is considered the object of the preposition. Because of this, one of those personal subjects will always take the objective form when it follows a preposition, as will whom. This also applies to whoever and whomever.

However, the object of a preposition can be an entire clause (a phrase with both a subject and a verb). Because of this, you can have the subjective form of a word following a preposition, as in the sentence, "He was before whoever was last." Ordinarily, you would use the objective form because "before" is a preposition, like when you say, "He was before me," but since the object of the preposition is a clause you need a subject, like in, "He left before I arrived."

This leads me to a VERY common grammatical error regarding comparisons.

WRONG: You are better than me at Stepmania.
Whenever you use "than" for comparisons, you need to realize that you will often leave out a verb that is understood
RIGHT: You are better than I at Stepmania.
It is understood that you are saying "You are better than I am at Stepmania, but just because you don't say it doesn't mean it's not there. Just think: you wouldn't say, "You are better than me am at Stepmania," would you?

The last thing I want to cover is regarding prepositions. Technically, it is illegal (in the grammar sense) to end a sentence with a preposition. Now, this is one of the less-respected rules simply because being completely compliant with it can make for some extremely awkward sentences, and sometimes even I can't figure out how they should be worded. However, most of the time they make sentences look much better.

For example:
WRONG: She is the one I gave the present to.
RIGHT: She is the one to whom I gave the present.

If you pay attention to this rule, you'll start to notice how ugly the former sentence looks and sounds. Of course, there are some sentences which are just obscene even though they are correct. If I can think of one some time I'll put it up here. As a closing point, I'll leave y'all with a relevant quote:

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put!" --Winston Churchill

And thus I end my second entry.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:58 AM   #39
tsutter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsutter

thx sqweek lol

Serioulsy though, FFR forums needs this. :\
[02:02:16] <Hayden> i carry the plastic i make it spastic when i put it in ya moms ass boy her **** is elastic when im finished in knee that slut in the jaw snap her back in to pieces i lay down the law cuz i gots no respect fo that ***** elixers **** seeing as he got double dick ****ed on dust 2 by an ingram at long A in pit
tsutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:36 AM   #40
linus
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to linus Send a message via MSN to linus

*Seriously.