Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-5-2006, 06:28 PM   #301
natetheffrer
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to natetheffrer
Default Re: The Revolution (Wii) is Here.

How is the Ps3 controller motion thing different than the Wii motion thing.

I know someone said something about 6 degrees of motion for the Ps3, but I dunno.

Im guessing that the Ps3 will only do the tilt and the Wii can do where exacly you are.

Im confuzzled.
Old 06-5-2006, 06:35 PM   #302
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by natetheffrer
How is the Ps3 controller motion thing different than the Wii motion thing.

I know someone said something about 6 degrees of motion for the Ps3, but I dunno.

Im guessing that the Ps3 will only do the tilt and the Wii can do where exacly you are.

Im confuzzled.
The PS3 controller is tilt sensing. That's like Kirby: Tilt and Tumble. You can be facing the opposite direction from the TV and it will do the same thing.

The Wii-mote detects the position of where you point it, based off the position of the things that you put on the side of the TV. It's like 5 times more sophisticed than the PS3 controller's technology (even if it didn't have only six axises).

Well, at least that's from what I know. I may be wrong, and I probably am.
Old 06-5-2006, 07:16 PM   #303
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRenaissance
I really hope it comes out like that, but I really doubt that developers will take so much time on the little things like opening a door.
Had you seen the press conference for Red Steel, you'd know this feature is already in the game and they have another 5 months to work on it.

Left hand = push open doors. Remember, the nunchuck is motion-sensing as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_carbo
The Wii-mote detects the position of where you point it, based off the position of the things that you put on the side of the TV. It's like 5 times more sophisticed than the PS3 controller's technology (even if it didn't have only six axises).
The front of the remote is only for pointing purposes. The actual gyroscopic detection of the location of the controller is independant of this feature. Pointing is used in the demos for Zelda and Mario, as can be seen by a Fairy and a Star (respectively) on the screen. The actual tilts and movements do not matter with pointing or anything, which is why you can play Excitetruck while covering the black section of the front of the controller used for pointing.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2006, 08:27 PM   #304
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrESqueek
The front of the remote is only for pointing purposes. The actual gyroscopic detection of the location of the controller is independant of this feature. Pointing is used in the demos for Zelda and Mario, as can be seen by a Fairy and a Star (respectively) on the screen. The actual tilts and movements do not matter with pointing or anything, which is why you can play Excitetruck while covering the black section of the front of the controller used for pointing.
Well, yeah, that's why I said it was "5 times more sophisticated" than the PS3 controller. It can do what the PS3 controller can with the tilt and more. It measures everything from how far away from the TV it is to the direction it is pointing on a full, 3D plane.

Oh, and for those who still haven't seen this (like me a few minutes ago because I didn't check my mail for a week):

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152265.html

Yay, Wii and DS interactivity Sounded pretty obvious that Nintendo would include interactivity, but it's cool having that fact confirmed. Also, the demo thing sounds great. Except, the Wii has a horrid har--nono, flash memory, and I can imagine running out of room on it way too easily with demos. I guess that's where the USB port comes in, although I would of liked a bit more for the Wii. Sure Nintendo only wants it to be a game system and not a computer or an entire home entertainment system, but some of these things are pretty nice additions. Hopefully in the future Nintendo will pick up pace and add more basic, uncreative things like more storage and the ability to play music.
Old 06-9-2006, 01:11 PM   #305
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

The flash memory is upgradeable, I believe. I think it can be expanded with SD flash memory. The full cartridges on the DS can hold 1 gigabit of data, if I remember correctly, so a demo is probably only several megabits. The largest SD flash cards on the market are 2 gigaBYTES, so I doubt that memory will really be a problem.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2006, 02:11 PM   #306
emptiness
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to emptiness

Nintendo has alot of promises. But are you sure they can fulfill all of them?
About the pc..it has held up to all of the consoles ever since psone or before that. All you have to do is upgrade it.

How sophisticated can the Remote be for Tennis??? Just wondering...[can it read a slice serve for example?]
Old 06-9-2006, 03:41 PM   #307
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforcer06164
The flash memory is upgradeable, I believe. I think it can be expanded with SD flash memory. The full cartridges on the DS can hold 1 gigabit of data, if I remember correctly, so a demo is probably only several megabits. The largest SD flash cards on the market are 2 gigaBYTES, so I doubt that memory will really be a problem.
Well, demos and downloadable games, as well. N64 games probably take a big chunk of storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptiness
Nintendo has alot of promises. But are you sure they can fulfill all of them?
About the pc..it has held up to all of the consoles ever since psone or before that. All you have to do is upgrade it.

How sophisticated can the Remote be for Tennis??? Just wondering...[can it read a slice serve for example?]
Actually, the Wii's controls cannot be emulated on the computer. It's 100% impossible. That doesn't make it superior, but it doesn't make it inferior too.

For tennis, if it was designed right, it could identify everything.

Last edited by lord_carbo; 06-9-2006 at 03:43 PM..
lord_carbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2006, 04:24 PM   #308
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Quote:
Well, demos and downloadable games, as well. N64 games probably take a big chunk of storage.
I have hopes that Nintendo will give us some memory cards with some substantial data storage to remedy any memory woes we might have. Or, maybe the virtual console will allow you to play from online? =/

Quote:
Old 06-9-2006, 04:42 PM   #309
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
During the press conference, the demo for Tennis was shown with all motions captured just as they were done. Swordfighting on Red Steel looked exactly as the person swinging the remote had done so on stage. The way your gun in Red Steel is held is based on the rotation of your hand.

Therefore, I say it's quite sophisticated.

~Squeek
Old 06-10-2006, 01:27 AM   #310
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via MSN to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to suicidalmuskrat

OK, looks like I have to clear up some misconceptions about Wii.

First off, it can't detect absolute position (it can't tell you how far away it is from anything other than it's starting point, unless you were to calibrate it (eg. place it on top of the TV so that it would know how far away it was.)) It can, however, detect relative position, as in it records where it starts moving from (it probably just calls this the origin), and then it can tell where it moves relative from the starting point, but not it's absolute position.

Also, the onboard flash memory is not expandable. It has 512 MB, or whatever, and it will always have that amount. However, you can put things onto the flash memory, and then transfer it to an SD card. Also, it's been confirmed that external USB hard drives will work. Which means your computer will work, and your ipod will work for storing saves, demos, or whatever else is available through Wii.

Quote:

Most N64 games are < 32 MB. The expansion pack allowed up to 64, but there weren't many games which got all the way there.

Actually, the Wii's controls cannot be emulated on the computer. It's 100% impossible. That doesn't make it superior, but it doesn't make it inferior too.

Squeek said this as well, and I don't think that's true. Or at least it's for sure not guranteed not true. One of the first details we heard about the then-revolution was that it could hook up to a monitor. We've heard very little on this subject since, so no one is sure if they dropped that whole line of thinking, or if it is another secret to be revealed. Also, you can conceivably create Web Games utilizing the Wiimote functionality. This has been confirmed as possible, given the details of Wii's Opera-based browsing capabilities. So even if Nintendo drops the whole monitor thing, someone could still create USB adapters for the controller and sensor bar to hook up to the computer. Now I'm getting into some murky territory, where it's all speculation and guesses.

For tennis, if it was designed right, it could identify everything.
Yup. We already know it can detect topspin and backspin. So I don't see why it couldn't do pretty much everything.

Last edited by suicidalmuskrat; 06-10-2006 at 01:28 AM.. Reason: Typo
suicidalmuskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #311
emptiness
FFR Player

BTW...the tennis game doesnt have a license on real tennis players..right? I saw a video on Red Steel and i wasnt sure if you could peek(shoot) around corners or killswitch.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:19 AM   #312
Gano
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Gano Send a message via MSN to Gano Send a message via Skype™ to Gano

A few days ago I was thinking, what old Nintendo games could be revived and revamped with the Wii? And then it occured to me--

Mario Paint, thats what. The Wii could pull it off, the controller could make it work excellently, hell they could even put in a new version of the Flyswatter game.

It would be amazing o_o
Gano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:30 AM   #313
emptiness
FFR Player

uhmm...Replay Value? tell me that. most of these games seem like decent rentals...seriously
Old 06-18-2006, 01:46 AM   #314
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via MSN to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to suicidalmuskrat

Quote:
uhmm...Replay Value? tell me that. most of these games seem like decent rentals...seriously
That doesn't make any sense. There are still going to be epic games. Metroid Prime 3 is going to be set up a lot like MP and MP2, it's just going to feature some different puzzles, and different controls, but will be just as deep, engrossing, and enjoyable as the previous two. Mario will have as much replay value as ever...Which for me is usually well into 35-40 hour range...I've put over 200 on SM64 alone I'm sure...Where did that thought even come from?
Old 06-18-2006, 01:55 AM   #315
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Best of all, it's like taking all the fun Gamecube games and making them multiplayer over the Internet with thousands of other people.

What kind of replay value are YOU looking for?! Nintendo is famous for putting things in their games that keep you wanting to play the game after you've beaten it, whether it's the story / mission again a different way, or optional side-objectives that only somewhat relate to the story (see: 290 trophies in Melee).

~Squeek
Old 06-18-2006, 02:18 PM   #316
emptiness
FFR Player

ok...when i said Replay Value...how are you gonna make a flyswatting game..last? With all its originality.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #317
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Why would you have to?

You're asking for the impossible. Expanding upon an original creation will make people hate it. Just giving the people the game will be sufficient. I'm certain they will do it too.

~Squeek
Old 06-19-2006, 01:41 AM   #318
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Quote:
ok...when i said Replay Value...how are you gonna make a flyswatting game..last? With all its originality.
You pack 300 games of that depth (but of varying gameplay) in one package and call it Wario Ware: Smooth Moves.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #319
white_boy
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to white_boy Send a message via MSN to white_boy

Have they released anything regarding the DS lite. will it be worth picking up if i'm planning to get the Wii?

If this has already been brought up sorry =\.

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessman07
white boy is my *****
Proud to be businessman07's *****.
white_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #320
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

It's already out. Came out in the U.S. two Sundays ago. It does everything that the original DS does; it just looks and plays a bit differently because of its new design. There is some evidence that the firmware in the Lite as opposed to the original design is a bit different, and the games you play know it....

Quote: