i get to play rb2 this weekend

is it sad that i'm more excited for this than i get for christmas

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

Default Re: Rock Band 2

Got to play the Impossible songs list (no overdrive)

Everything was awesome...until I played Visions by Abnormality.

All I can say is...WTF! That song definitely isn't the greatest (metal screamo?), but there is one part on guitar that you have to strum EVERY NOTE THAT IS USUALLY A HO/PO ACROSS THE FRETBOARD! **** that song was retardedly hard especially without Overdrive.
ddr_f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Gano
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Gano Send a message via MSN to Gano Send a message via Skype™ to Gano

lmao I tried Abnormality, it did not go well :<

doraemon bustin caps
Gano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
Plaguefox
Midgets are my WIFE
FFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to Plaguefox Send a message via AIM to Plaguefox Send a message via MSN to Plaguefox Send a message via Yahoo to Plaguefox Send a message via Skype™ to Plaguefox

God, the Impossible Challenge is ridiculous. Tried it on drums, got 45% into Panic Attack and my leg fell off.

Okay, it didn't, but I still can't dent that song on X drums.

Also, vocals are not broken. That's a byproduct of the "fanboy versus fanboy" wars the band games are generating. Certain sections of vocals were (arguably) broken in the first game and now certain sections of vocals are way too easy. It's a far better problem to have than *no one ever hitting* certain sections.

The pitch detection is still challenging and if you look at one talkie-laden song being easy and decide "vocals are broken" you're either not familiar with the system or you're intentionally fueling the fanboy fire. Tsk tsk!

I disclaim right here and now that I'm going to own and love both GHWT and RB2. Just so you guys know.
Plaguefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Some of us don't have enough money for both and need to justify our decisions with poorly-credited theories.

Hell I don't even have enough for one. It's highly likely I'll never own a band game because they're all insanely overpriced.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
Plaguefox
Midgets are my WIFE
FFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to Plaguefox Send a message via AIM to Plaguefox Send a message via MSN to Plaguefox Send a message via Yahoo to Plaguefox Send a message via Skype™ to Plaguefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Some of us don't have enough money for both and need to justify our decisions with poorly-credited theories.

Hell I don't even have enough for one. It's highly likely I'll never own a band game because they're all insanely overpriced.
Oh, I understand that. To be honest the only games I've allowed myself to buy in the last... six months or so have been rhythm games. Wait, that's just Rock Band 2, really. Oh, wait, Castle Crashers. Does that count? I've been selective enough in game purchases lately to have enough budget for both of these delicious games. And I'm about to sell some old games to make way for an Ion purchase. (Note: I'm hoping against hope that there will be some method of using the Drum Rocker on GHWT without sacrificing one lane of gameplay.)

Anyway, the thing about the dedicated-to-one-side arguments is that they're so full of contradictions and logical fallacies on both sides. You can definitely tell just by reading one person's "reasons for choosing one over the other" whether or not they have real, personal reasons for preferring one or if they're just subscribing to internet forum wankery. While it's true that those aren't mutually exclusive ideas, someone with a level head and legitimate reasoning won't cite the latter stuff; afterall, it's typically just recycled FUD.

Like people who slag on Neversoft for being a "sequel factory" or people who slag on Harmonix for "never making any good peripherals". Or the circle-versus-cylinder argument. Or the "exclusives are garbage" argument. So on, so forth.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post

The game is no more expensive than any other game on the system.

Separately sold peripherals need not be a part of the cost of the game, not when the controllers are cross compatible. You could get a RB bundle for a fat wad, but you could use those same controllers for a standalone copy of GH (or vice versa, but why would you want to?).

For example, I recently bought RB2. I did not go to the store and say "I want Rock Band 2, here is hundreds of dollars." I already had a mic, drum kit, and guitar sitting at home. When I pick up the new GH game, I won't say "I want the new GH game, here is hundreds of dollars", because I've already got a guitar, mic, and drum sitting at home for me.

See, I spend a few hundred once, and it applies to many games. You can figure the cost of the peripheral based on how many games you'll be playing it with. So if you get all 3 (lol konami) of these band games and get a bundle for like 200 bucks for one of them (or 140 for just the peripherals), that's 140$ spent for 3 games. Figure that per game, that's roughly 47 dollars per game for the peripheral. And if you had Rock Band before, that's a 4th game, so the peripheral's use and cost per game functionality becomes 35$. Then, if you take good care of your ****, you'll have a guitar, mic, and drums when RB3 and GH5 come out.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is this: it's not as bad as you make it out to be, yes it is a relatively large amount of money to drop, but the investment you get out of it can be spread out very easily. And even if you can't spread out the investment for some reason (such as hating one of the games lol konami), it can still totally be worth it, because these games are simply amazing, and frankly, they're like many music games put together into one.

And if you simply are unable to afford it, I say you should stop complaining because if it's not a high enough priority for you to go out of your way to keep some money in the bank for it, then you don't deserve to complain about it.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

My current plan is for World Tour, since its instruments are the most compatible with everything else. They're supposed to work with all RB games, so I could get RB1, RB track pack, RB2, GH3, GHAero, etc. if I wanted to.

Activision gave me $132 for returning GH3 to them, so once World Tour drops under $150 or $140 I'll probably get it.

And if you had access to ffya (sry lol~) you'd see my plans for reals.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

i feel really sorry for afrobean

i mean seriously i don't get why he's not in ffya

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
Plaguefox
Midgets are my WIFE
FFR Veteran

Interesting update for those who like the idea of cymbals in Rock Band 2: Reports are coming in that if you play on Lefty Flip (like I do) the cymbal differentiation code shuts down completely and your cymbals will play the same exact sounds as their equivalent toms during sections where you are not tied to a chart (that would be before a song, after a song, during a BRE, during a fill, and in Freeplay mode.)

This is pretty deal breaking for me. Figured I'd let everyone know.

Chances are this is a bug and will be fixed, but until we know for sure, the come-away is this:

Cymbals do not differentiate themselves from toms if you're in Lefty mode. They work as advertised without lefty mode active.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Plaguefox, that's the sort of thing they could fix in a patch.

Also, I don't see how that's all that important. You really need to fool around and hear cymbals before the song starts? You really want to hear cymbals during fills (other than your ending crash, that is)? The freeplay thing sucks, I'll admit, but if you want to just freeplay drums, I doubt if it'll be long before software is developed which supports the RB2 drum kits and allows them to freeplay with even more customization than choice of a few ****ty preselected drum samples.

tl;dr: most of that **** doesn't matter, and the one that does is replaceable by using a computer.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
t-rogdor
tane orb
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

One of the songs i was looking forward to (Read: They said beck, and i thought "Hey, it must be loser, because that's the one everyone knows!") and they put in E-Pro instead.

Oh well, Vocals on Master Exploder will be win.
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:44 AM   #13
Plaguefox
Midgets are my WIFE
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
You really need to fool around and hear cymbals before the song starts? You really want to hear cymbals during fills (other than your ending crash, that is)?
Are you kidding? Absolutely! Only a blasphemer would ask such a question.

I heard that one of the higher-up developers said that the game was supposed to function differently, so hopefully they'll acknowledge that it's a bug and will be patched.

Otherwise I won't be able to fool around to my heart's content.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
tha Guardians
MCDC 2011
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to tha Guardians Send a message via MSN to tha Guardians Send a message via Yahoo to tha Guardians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaguefox View Post
Are you kidding? Absolutely! Only a blasphemer would ask such a question.

I heard that one of the higher-up developers said that the game was supposed to function differently, so hopefully they'll acknowledge that it's a bug and will be patched.

Otherwise I won't be able to fool around to my heart's content.
Wtf? Where do these random Admins come from? xD
Hi Plague. Intoduce yourself =)

Oh yeah.
On a scale of 1 to 10, RB2's guitar parts are rated...?
I'm considering buying it now that it's got hyperspeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic-fast-fingers View Post
can someone clarrify what QFT means my friend told me its quit ****ing talking, but im not 100 percent sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I need a car that drives itself completely automated and I want it for free and it needs infinite gas mileage.

Cheers,

Synthlight
tha Guardians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
Network Security Analyst

Send a message via AIM to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR Send a message via MSN to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR

Well, I finally got around to getting decent at drums, then my pedal broke Back to guitar for me.

I've almost unlocked the Entire Setlist, only 200 more stars to go, and hopefully I'll have some time next week to attempt that. I have no idea how long that will take. I've tried to figure it out, but my math is lacking almost as much as my commitment to figure it out. I figure that a week should get me there if I keep playing as much as I have been. Also, now that i'm not on the drums anymore, I should be getting more stars because I don't have to worry about pad misses.

Anyone want to take a guess at how long it will take to get through 84 (I think) songs? The first one had 53 (If I remember correctly) and that took about 4:30 hours with no breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightdarkness
I'm light f**king darkness
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #16
footbull3196
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to footbull3196

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR View Post
Well, I finally got around to getting decent at drums, then my pedal broke Back to guitar for me.
Do you have the old drums for RB1 or the new RB2 drums? The RB2 drum pedal shouldn't break, it's metal enforced.

Also, if it is the RB1 kit, you can still send it in for a free repair, because I think they extended it until October or something like that.
footbull3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #17
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
Network Security Analyst

Send a message via AIM to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR Send a message via MSN to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR

Quote:
Originally Posted by footbull3196 View Post
Do you have the old drums for RB1 or the new RB2 drums? The RB2 drum pedal shouldn't break, it's metal enforced.

Also, if it is the RB1 kit, you can still send it in for a free repair, because I think they extended it until October or something like that.
I'm stuck on rb1 drums. I'll probably just ghetto-rig this thing till I have some time to send it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightdarkness
I'm light f**king darkness
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #18
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Shashakiro

well, I played for a good 14-15 hours between today and yesterday

This game is ****ing amazing. Breakneck Speed, the Megadeth album pack, new talkies, and singleplayer World Tour basically eliminated my four biggest problems with RB (lack of speed mod, far too few guitar tracks were hard enough, broken talkies sucked balls, none of my friends ever wanted to play World Tour and so the only way I could experience it was with voxtar, which was meh). It's already mind-bogglingly good and I haven't even tried anything online yet, which I always love. Having the RB1 tracks in there gives this incredibly great sense of a HUGE song selection, something I've only had before in FFR/SM.

This just might wind up being my favorite game of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiebear
use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.
Shashakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #19
thechild
FFR Player

So can any drummers here solo the impossible battle (no starpower) on expert? I'm stuck on Panic Attack, painkiller and battery are really easy. Also, when do I unlock visions. The drums on that are wtfhax.
thechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #20
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

Gimme some details I wanna send my old RB drum kit in it brokeded.