Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 10:24 PM   #181
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds
Default Re: The PS3 Is Here.

Way to defamate the fanboys, Eric.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #182
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

I believe you really can't judge the worth of a system before it has been released and into the second generation of games.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #183
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod
I believe you really can't judge the worth of a system before it has been released and into the second generation of games.
No, you can't, but you can certainly decide not to buy one based on several factors, most of which point to sloppy marketing and other shortcomings.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 09-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #184
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

Well all you playstaion fanboys i got news for! Sony has appeared to have postpone their release date AGAIN until spring 2007. Too bad for all of you

PS: Xbox owns all and everyone shall bow down to it!!!
ddr_f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #185
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds
No, you can't, but you can certainly decide not to buy one based on several factors, most of which point to sloppy marketing and other shortcomings.
Of course, I'm just saying it's too early to decide which system sucks.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:11 PM   #186
cC@Zz
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddr_f4n
Well all you playstaion fanboys i got news for! Sony has appeared to have postpone their release date AGAIN until spring 2007. Too bad for all of you

PS: Xbox owns all and everyone shall bow down to it!!!
Xbox is cool but nintendo wii will be better. I personally like PS2 more than xbox 360 because of the games.

And I will not bow down to a xbox fanboy.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #187
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod
Of course, I'm just saying it's too early to decide which system sucks.
I'm confident that none will flat out suck. Sony will be impressive and have a huge library, Microsoft will dominate the online market, and Nintendo will be cheap. I mean, everything has it's good points, but there are just a lot stacked against Sony at this point. They pulled a Moneleux (Creator of Fable who promised pretty much a free form game and delivered a linear action RPG) and overblew everything.

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:08 PM   #188
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

I might want to disagree with you on the library, Mal. PS2's library was large because it was the system of its generation (Dreamcast doesn't count), and a lot of people scrambled to buy it. Well, if a lot of people are buying a system, what will smart developers do? Develop for the popular system, of course. That, in itself, is a "vicious cycle" (for lack of a better term) that keeps selling consoles and causing developers to pump out games for said console.

If the PS3 flops because of its ridiculous price and lack of decent launch games (and that looks like it will probably be true), developers will back off and move to Wii and XBox 360. If we're going to look for the console with the biggest library of the next generation, I'd say it'll be XBox 360, followed closely by Wii.

One thing is certain: if Square Enix drops Sony, it'll fall right back in with Nintendo. Evidence shows that it may be leaning in that direction anyway. I'm predicting that a few publishers and developers are going to drop Sony like they did to Nintendo in the last generation and fall back in line with their previous loyalties. I think that Sony might even lose a few of the loyal developers they've had in the past two generations if the price stays at $600.

I have so many things I could say right now that I'm thinking about, but I'm just going to sum it up in two words: Sony sucks. They don't care about their customers, and they obviously don't give a damn about their own financial health, much less the financial health of the 3rd party developers that they've been supported by recently. What kind of business strategy is that?

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:42 PM   #189
emptiness
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to emptiness

I heard they'll only be selling 400,000 units in Northern America. >.>
ya thats good enough.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #190
STD_AIDS
FFR Player

I heard the PS3 controllers are the same thing as ps2 controllers, but they remove the vibration function for the tilt censor...
STD_AIDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #191
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

They didn't remove the vibration to make room for tilt, they removed it because they stole it from another company and lost a lawsuit filed against them with regards to this case.

And for anyone who says vibration and tilt can't work together anyway, obviously not because the wiimote has it.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:41 AM   #192
Ichigo_K
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
They didn't remove the vibration to make room for tilt, they removed it because they stole it from another company and lost a lawsuit filed against them with regards to this case.

And for anyone who says vibration and tilt can't work together anyway, obviously not because the wiimote has it.
Vibrations back btw.
Ichigo_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:34 AM   #193
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Show me proof. Nothing I have read so far has said they re-implemented vibration features into the PS3 controller.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #194
87x
Retired Staff
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to 87x Send a message via MSN to 87x Send a message via Yahoo to 87x

There is no proof because they aren't putting it back. Sony sucks. BD will blow and flop. Im buying a ps3 to put it on ebay. I think the $750 spent on it will be worth the 150% - 300% payback increase I will get for it.

RAVEnHEXa: Lip ring is because I want to be a professional piercer.
87x: more like.. professional goth.
87x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:25 PM   #195
scorpio1690
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to scorpio1690 Send a message via MSN to scorpio1690

HOLY **** IT'S 87X
scorpio1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #196
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo

IMO Sony has ****ed up.

First of all, avaliability for the holidays. All the kids will be asking for PS3s. Parents, being so uninformed and unwilling to actually look stuff up to satisfy their kids, will go into stores expecting a moderately stocked, moderately priced system. "Opps lol, all sold out, and really expensive anyway". So what is moderately stocked and priced? The Xbox 360, and, even cheaper (although possibly not as stocked), the Wii. How many units they'll have by the end of the year doesn't matter as much as how many units they'll have by the time holiday shopping is at its peak. I'm pretty sure that 70% of the people who haven't preordered a PS3 already and will buy one aren't going to be buying one after they do their holiday shopping (I mean, mommy is always trying to please little Tommy and will spend $1000s of dollars to do so, hence why there are goddamn 9 year olds with cell phones and 60 GB video Ipods these days).

Add in all the gaming nerds willing to spend all the money and also know when all the stocks come in or even preordered it, not too many parents are going to be spoiling their child this year. I also won't be suprised if there's are PS3s not being yanked off shelves on sight by the time 2007 arrives.

Now this moment of time is going to be the deciding factor for the PS3. The developers who still haven't decided need to decide right away if they want to stick with the PS3 or not. If the Wii outsells the PS3 and the developers aren't totally stupid, chances are they'll scatter around Nintendo and Microsoft. If the PS3 just totally sucks even worse than I predicted for the holidays, they'll go to Microsoft.

And if that doesn't get to them, there's pricing. Games for the PS3 are going to be extremely expensive (when it comes to pricetag and, I'm assuming, production), and the PS3 is, alas, also overpriced. This is really really really bad for both producers and developers (especially for obscure developers). Games will just be too expensive to gorge on. Games like Psychonauts wouldn't even hit the shelves as a PS3 game, it would be just too damn expensive.

So yeah I expect the PS3 to do extremely badly throughout the first year. It might pick up again Christmas 2007, but Sony will probably lose a lot of developers in the process. That's what you get when you push the envelope and go for impractical technology.

Just a bit of unorganized and unrevised speculation.

Last edited by lord_carbo; 09-18-2006 at 04:04 PM..
lord_carbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #197
stealthkidd
Above and Beyond
FFR Veteran

sony copies all other systems and makes it in theirs. nintendo wii, if copied then who ever copied sucks. in the end nintendo prevails! they just happened to think up the best idea so far ever.
stealthkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:12 AM   #198
kickassbuddy
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to kickassbuddy

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/22/p...udes-hdmi-1-3/
Win.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:19 AM   #199
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

NOTE: PS3 PRICE CUT IN JAPAN ONLY.

Old 10-6-2006, 06:12 PM   #200
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Whee doublepost lots of interest in this thread 8)

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/06/c...d-waiting-for/

Quote:
Alright Sony, this is just getting ridiculous. It's not like you guys haven't been a featured guest in this series before, but we had no idea it was such an honor. The third "CE-Oh no" moment for Sony this week came out of the mouth of SCE World Europe VP, Jamie MacDonald, who was asked: "What would you say to consumers who like Sony and want to buy your products, but perhaps feel that because they're in Europe they're always last in line?" Apparently Jamie feels little love for his whiny constituency, since his clueless response was thus: "European consumers have shown that historically they don't mind that, because they end up buying as many PlayStations, if not more, than the US and Japan. In Europe, it doesn't seem that the release of our platforms after the US and Japan - in the long run - affects how consumers feel." We're not even sure how to respond to that, so we'll continue with more "CE-Oh no" sound bite gold from our pal Jamie. In response to a query about Sony's UMD failure, he stated: "I think you'll find in general the market for movies on discs of any type is not particularly great at the moment." Again, we really have nothing to add, so we'll just hit up one more sound bite for good time's sake. When asked about the Wii60 concept, where prospective next-gen buyers compare the price of purchasing an Xbox 360 and a Nintendo Wii to the cost of the PS3 alone, Jamie further demonstrated his ignorance: "To be honest, I haven't heard that." Not a banner day for Sony PR by a long shot, but at least they're not trying to hide their seeming disdain for consumers and plain logic.
a) lol europe nobody likes u and ur coo wit dat rite?

b) nobody buyz moveys lol umd is r0x0rz

c) ther r oda consolez?

Oh wait, there's more.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20142

Quote:
"Both hardware and software worked flawlessly," at TGS

Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz Sony Europe has categorically denied reports that the PS3 hardware has suffered any problems due to overheating.

The rebuttal follows a report by Macquire Securities analyst David Gibson, who wrote that PS3 units at the Tokyo Game Show were overheating, causing concern over the stability of the console, which in turn caused Sony shares to tumble by 2.75 per cent yesterday.

"SCE can categorically deny that there's any problems with PS3 units overheating," said the company in a statement issued to GI.biz.

"As could be seen on the TGS floor by the tens of thousands of media and public attendees, both the hardware and software worked flawlessly," the statement concludes.

Sony has been suffering negative press since the company announced it would be delaying the European launch of the PlayStation 3 until March 2007, due to difficulties in producing a key component of the system.

The overheating rumours have also been fuelled by a recent recall of lithium ion batteries manufactured by Sony, which affected technology partners Dell, Toshiba and Apple.
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/tg...her-202827.php
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ridge-r...tgs-202609.php

FLAWLESSLY.

I wish that were the end, but it never is.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/blu+ray...bye-205044.php

Quote:
Say bye-bye to those precious Blu-ray discs. At GDC London, Sony Europe's Jamie MacDonald believes the industry is experiencing a "paradigm shift" and moving towards a "network-centric world." Continuing, he says:

In five years' time, my belief is that the majority of content won't be delivered on disc... It also brings with it great opportunities because it means you can touch your consumer in many different ways and at different times - it's not just a one-off relationship where a consumer buys a disc from the store.

Eds Note: "Touching your consumer" is fancy talk for "charging your consumer."

Sony brass keep predicting the downfall of discs, just as they're telling us how great Blu-ray is. First, Phil Harrison, now this guy. So discs will be overrun by digital media in five years? That's exactly the same length of time it will take most to pay off their Blu-ray playing PS3s. Zing!
YES BLU-RAY IT'LL LAST THIS CONSOLE TEN YEARS. ALSO, IN FIVE YEARS, NOBODY WILL USE ANY DISC-MEDIA FORMAT. SO, WHAT IS TEN MINUS FIVE AGAIN?

Last edited by Squeek; 10-6-2006 at 06:19 PM..