Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #61
fido123
FFR Player

Default Re: This year's Nobel Peace Prize winner is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foilman8805 View Post
it doesn't seem okay to give someone a nobel peace prize when they're sending additional troops to overseas wars we shouldn't even be involved with anyways

but what the **** do i know
Thing is George started the whole mess. It wouldn't be nice to **** things up then be "OH NEW LEADER ENJOY THE MESS WE MADE 4 U!!!!!11"
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #62
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

can't argue the truth in that, but you certainly can't argue that he said troops would be coming home and now he's sending more
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #63
delossantosj_2
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
Thing is George started the whole mess. It wouldn't be nice to **** things up then be "OH NEW LEADER ENJOY THE MESS WE MADE 4 U!!!!!11"
who gives a **** about bush lol hes out of the picture and obama is just trying to finish the job. the point is obama hasnt done **** so far and yet HE STILL won he noble prize. what are the Swedish thinking?
Old 10-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #64
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Well for one, I'm sure it had very little (actually, nothing) to do with his race as you've stated earlier. I do remember there being a list of reasons, but I don't have the specifics at hand right now.

also, as Obama stated, "To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize."

edit: some more reasoning as apparently stated by someone of the Norwegian Nobel Committee: Jagland said the committee whittled down a record pool of 205 nominations and had "several candidates until the last minute," but it became more obvious that "we couldn't get around these deep changes that are taking place" under Obama.

Last edited by bmah; 10-10-2009 at 12:27 AM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:15 AM   #65
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
Pardon? George W. Bush started this mess? Mmmhmm. It surely wasn't the terrorist networks who have been killing our people, civilians and military alike, on our own soil and abroad, for decades that started this all, no... It had to be Bush. I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
also, as Obama stated, "To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize."
Exhibit A as to why Obama didn't deserve this. He'll be the first to toot his own horn and say, "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I'M NOT GEORGE W. BUSH!" in any circumstance he can stretch to deem appropriate (and even in those where he can't). Yet when he's awarded such a "prestigious" award, he's suddenly modest. He knows he didn't deserve it, and that to try to claim credit for it would be shooting himself in the political foot.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:03 AM   #66
Ground_Breaker
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Ground_Breaker

I can't say that he did or did not deserve the award because I'm not on the committee and that's not my job. Pretty sure that the Stortinget didn't point at me (or any of you) and say, "Would you like to help us decide who the next Nobel Peace Prize laureate should be?"

I can at least say that the committee was apparently impressed by the policies that Obama is presenting to the world. Let's say the Nobel Peace Prize is a "politically charged instrument." Let's say they gave it to him just to give his policies more global recognition, and to help jump-start their progress. If that's all the award really is, then the other 204 nominations must not have had global policy ideas worth the committee's formal endorsement. They must not have had ideas worth jump-starting. Same thing for Al Gore, Jimmy Carter, and Yassir Arafat, they must have impressed the committee in a similar way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter
He'll be the first to toot his own horn and say, "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I'M NOT GEORGE W. BUSH!" in any circumstance he can stretch to deem appropriate (and even in those where he can't). Yet when he's awarded such a "prestigious" award, he's suddenly modest. He knows he didn't deserve it, and that to try to claim credit for it would be shooting himself in the political foot.
But by not taking credit for it, he shoots himself in the political foot anyway as far as you're concerned. All this says is, "I don't really like Obama all that much."
Old 10-10-2009, 03:23 AM   #67
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter View Post
Exhibit A as to why Obama didn't deserve this. He'll be the first to toot his own horn and say, "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I'M NOT GEORGE W. BUSH!" in any circumstance he can stretch to deem appropriate (and even in those where he can't). Yet when he's awarded such a "prestigious" award, he's suddenly modest.
To be fair, saying you're not Bush isn't really bragging. It's like saying you're not retarded.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:30 AM   #68
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Also, I figured it out, Guido is Glenn Beck
Old 10-10-2009, 03:31 AM   #69
Grandiagod
FFR Player

God that I don't believe in help us all
Old 10-10-2009, 04:24 AM   #70
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

"sure, i wasn't a great president, but i won the nobel peace prize! ^______^"
adlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:17 AM   #71
smartdude1212
2 is poo
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Hitler was also named man of the year for 1938 and look at the destruction he began to cause a year later.

Just sayin'.
smartdude1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #72
justaguy
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to justaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter View Post
blah blah blah im from texas i like bush i believe in god deal widit
--Guido

no one wants to hear ya ****
justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #73
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

fortunately guidohunter's horribly bad post have been compensated by good posts.
Mollocephalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #74
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
Hitler was also named man of the year for 1938 and look at the destruction he began to cause a year later.

Just sayin'.
Godwin's Law is now in full effect.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #75
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Emo_Saur_

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
no one wants to hear ya ****
Apparently you do only because you read the post. If you just so happen to not read the post, then you're a babbling idiot that has no idea what we're talking about. It's super upsetting how butthurt people get over the name Obama. He's our president, he's not the anti-christ, the Nobel Peace Prize is to give the rest of the world some incentive on helping gain peace and prosperity with what Obama is trying to put into place. I will admit, I don't like Obama's policies and all, but we have to live with what we have rather you're poor, rich, illiterate, mentally retarted, underage and can't even express your views correctly because you don't ACTUALLY watch the news or pay attention in your Economics class or US Gov't, the list could go on but you get it. Now, anyone who makes an uneducated post showing nothing but your lack of intelligence will be disregarded and laughed at.

Much like many of you will because your head is really far up your ass.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #76
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Emo_Saur_

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshox View Post
I wasn't aware that it suddenly became a tool of political use only when the winners were involved in politics. I suppose Desmond Tutu, Mother Theresa, Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama, as well as other laureates, also accepted it to push their own political agendas.
Double post. Oh well.

No, they got it because they actually proved to the world they deserved it. Not to gain recognition and push their own views and actions.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #77
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

As they put it:

NYT: "The committee said it wanted to enhance Mr. Obama’s diplomatic efforts so far rather than reward him for events in the future.”

This is the saddest and most blatantly politicized excuse for giving a Nobel Peace Price. Ever. Awarding people for their *great potential* is done with gold star stickers, not Nobel Prizes.

At least Al Gore and Jimmy Carter had DONE things, even if I wasn't fond of them. The last sitting US President who earned a Nobel Prize (Woodrow Wilson) actually DID something, too (something about a World War, oh, I dunno). Don't forget Teddy Roosevelt who ALSO actually did something to earn it (brokering the Treaty of Portsmouth between Russia and Japan, ending the 1904-1905 Russo-Japanese War... actually causing peace, DOMINATED). Compare any of this to a man who has done nothing but spew carbon dioxide into the atmosphere from his airplane and his mouth around the world shows just how sadly debased the Nobel has come in recent times.

The Nobel Prize was supposed to be the neutral honor from the neutral country, awarding the finest accomplishments of man towards making the world a better and more peaceful place for his fellow man. That's what gave it meaning, and what gave it power. It was NOT meant to try and play a role in using influence to affect events as they unfold. It is too bad for these old European men, then, that they have so debased the Nobel Peace Prize that it doesn't have any influence left.

At least we can still take the Nobel Prizes in chemistry and physics seriously, until they start giving the prize to someone who *might* invent cold fusion or something. After all, giving a Nobel to someone who might do something is too silly to consider... hm, wait a second, there...
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #78
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
I wasn't aware that it suddenly became a tool of political use only when the winners were involved in politics. I suppose Desmond Tutu, Mother Theresa, Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama, as well as other laureates, also accepted it to push their own political agendas.
Okay, I admit that I overstepped a little there. How about, "It shows that the Peace Prize committee has turned the award into a politically charged instrument with only occasional regard to merit.

Sure, several laureates in recent history have been very deserving of the prize, but several have also fallen far short of any standard for it, even doing what they can to ensure a less peaceful world at times.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #79
GG_Guru
Let em' do what they want
FFR Veteran

This is why I hate politics...
Old 10-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #80
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
I'd be willing to agree with you about winners being unworthy if I was able to see the other candidates and judge for myself, but the rules of the Nobel Peace Prize state that the committee keeps the records of the other candidates sealed for 50 years. So until then, even though Obama winning was surprising to me as well, I'm forced to accept that their decision was based on the best factors in mind and they made the best judgment possible.
You're never *forced* to plug your ears and shut your eyes.

Hell, just see Rubix's post above; the committee itself is telling you that the decision wasn't made on merit.

Also remember: ten days.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote: