Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-8-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
boibomb
FFR Player

Default Post Your Reviews for "WATCHMEN"

Yea this movie was very good, for a person that had no background on the watchmen series. I really like it. The fight scenes were like a violent musical. The gore made the movie more in your face. I walk out of the movie feeling like i learn something about mankind and how we act. Yea Mr Manhattan is naked all the time.lol

i give it a 7 out of 10

Last edited by boibomb; 03-8-2009 at 09:45 PM..
boibomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
bluguerrilla
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bluguerrilla
Default Re: Post Your Reviews for "WATCHMEN"

I liked it but I'm looking forward to reading the graphic novel.

And yeah it had a ton more giant, blue cock in it than I expected.

/indepthreview
Old 03-8-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

I just saw it and I thought it sucked ass.
There's my review.
It was boring, lengthy, and had atrocious song choice. There was close to 0 action for a ****ing super hero movie. If you like misplaced sex scenes and staring at some blue guy's dick, go for it. It was too sappy and pretentious for me. Sorry. 2 and a half hours of ****.

it may have been better if the people having sex were better looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
Flandre Scarlet
Death
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Flandre Scarlet

Movies never, never live up to the same excite and feel from a novel or book. A few classmates of mine went and saw the movie because we read the novel in class because our teacher is awesome, and told me it was "meh" and just average.

If you haven't read the novel, go do it now because it's the damn novel and not a ****ty movie. =)

Last edited by Flandre Scarlet; 03-8-2009 at 10:34 PM..
Flandre Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

I saw it opening night and these are about my exact thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syhto View Post
It was boring, lengthy, and had atrocious song choice. There was close to 0 action for a ****ing super hero movie. If you like misplaced sex scenes and staring at some blue guy's dick, go for it.
except I didn't dislike it quite as much as Syhto. The main parts were the absolutely horrible song choices and close to zero action scenes. Also, sex scenes (I think they're dumb all the time, every time, but especially here). I didn't think it was so boring the whole time, but it could have been a lot better.

Also, for a movie that really wasn't full of a lot of action or violence, it had random cuts to absolutely senseless violence. I mean for about 2 hours we just see people talking about their past then CUT TO A GUY GETTING HIS ARMS CUT OFF BY A CHAINSAW UNCENSORED ON-SCREEN. Uhhhhh, okay? If you're going to make this movie Saw or something maybe do this the whole movie not just talk the whole time THEN decide to do this?

Yeah, could have been a lot better.
Zybanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD

Going to go see it tomorrow with thugnif92 (user).
Better be good.
Old 03-8-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
makdaddy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to makdaddy

Quote:
There's my review.
It was boring, lengthy, and had atrocious song choice. There was close to 0 action for a ****ing super hero movie. If you like misplaced sex scenes and staring at some blue guy's dick, go for it. It was too sappy and pretentious for me. Sorry. 2 and a half hours of ****.

it may have been better if the people having sex were better looking
this to the extreme

3 out of 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybanthia View Post
Also, for a movie that really wasn't full of a lot of action or violence, it had random cuts to absolutely senseless violence. I mean for about 2 hours we just see people talking about their past then CUT TO A GUY GETTING HIS ARMS CUT OFF BY A CHAINSAW UNCENSORED ON-SCREEN. Uhhhhh, okay? If you're going to make this movie Saw or something maybe do this the whole movie not just talk the whole time THEN decide to do this?
also, this.

the violence was horribly misplaced, it seemed like they would try to tell the story and then do something violent like the graphic novel would do. But it just seemed out of place and retarded in movie form.

Last edited by makdaddy; 03-8-2009 at 10:40 PM..
makdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
Flandre Scarlet
Death
FFR Veteran

This honestly isn't a good choice for taking a graphic novel and translating it into a movie.

The novel is centered around heavy dialogue and exploring the characters, while the plot is pretty much kept in the backround and really only shows its true colors somewhat in the end. Not enough action scenes to make the long length enjoyable for those who haven't read the novel. The novel also jumped about everywhere, which didn't go well for the movie. The movie is only good for promoting the novel lol.

Also, it may include "superheroes", but it's obvious that this is no superhero movie, and should never be deemed similar to any superhero movie that has been produced.

Watchmen is unique, and should have been kept as unfilmable.

Last edited by Flandre Scarlet; 03-8-2009 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: dr manhattan is watching you in the past present and future
Old 03-8-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flandre Scarlet View Post
Also, it may include "superheroes", but it's obvious that this is no superhero movie, and should never be deemed similar to any superhero movie that has been produced.
Obvious? Hmmm, according to every single trailer I watched this was going to be one of the most kick-ass superhero movies of all time. If it was more about plot than anything else, I don't think they should have advertised it as "another superhero movie", yet all the scenes in the trailer were the ones of people firing rifles, dodging flames, and otherwise blowing people up with their hands. It's a bad idea to give people a notion of how a movie's going to be, and then turn 180 and make it the other way, especially for those for haven't read the novel (although it's a bad idea in general).

Even aside from that, I didn't have such a problem with the low amount of action. I found myself interested in the characters' past, and what Dr. Manhattan was going to do, and all the intrigue parts. At least, interested enough not to feel I hated the movie. But it was all the other bad content choices, like senseless violence (read: not furthering plot, and set up for the sake of being violent), gratuitous sex scenes (not like sex scenes aren't gratuitous every time but this one was ridiculous), and the failed attempt at the "artsy music shots" that made me dislike it the way I do.
Old 03-8-2009, 10:57 PM   #10
Flandre Scarlet
Death
FFR Veteran

Well, I meant from understanding the novel, but the movie trailers have projected the movie as a superhero movie, which I find ruins the entire feel of the whole thing.

The problem is producers always like to change the movie into something that is ****, and starts crippling the reputation of the original media. Part of the ending was changed in the movie, (spoiler in white: The tentacle monster that Veidt teleports into the city was replaced by that massive energy whatever ball shown in the trailer, which wipes out an enormous amount of people "end spoiler") and I guess if there were violent scenes that really didn't fit in the period of time that was occuring were not in the novel, as well as the sex scenes, just ruined it more so.

Last edited by Flandre Scarlet; 03-8-2009 at 11:10 PM..
Old 03-8-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
There's my review.
It was boring, lengthy, and had atrocious song choice.
Length is irrelevant if pacing is good. When you complain about how bad a movie is, you should complain about poor pacing rather than how long it is.

And why do some people hate the music choice so much? I haven't seen it yet (going tomorrow probably), but I took a look at the soundtrack and it looks really solid.
Quote:
There was close to 0 action for a ****ing super hero movie.
Who said this was a "super hero" movie? It's a film based on a graphic novel and it has "super heroes" in it, but it is far apart from the established "genre" of films commonly known as "super hero" movies. This isn't Spider-man or Batman or Superman. It stands on its own.

Quote:
we read the novel in class because our teacher is awesome
Sounds freaking irresponsible to me. Are the students' parents aware that their children are having academic curriculum based around such adult material? I would be VERY mad if I had a child in school and the school made them study material as graphic and mature as this. Hell, I'd be mad if the school even gave them the OPTION of studying it without consulting me first.

And folks, don't judge it too harshly I think. There's still a director's cut on the way and an "ultimate" cut that will be the director's cut with the animated Black Freighter footage interspliced where applicable. They say the director's cut might even get a theatrical release if the initial theatrical run goes well enough.
Old 03-8-2009, 11:01 PM   #12
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flandre Scarlet View Post
Well, I meant from understanding the novel, but the movie trailers have projected the movie as a superhero movie, which I find ruins the entire feel of the whole thing.

The problem is producers always like to change the movie into something that is ****, and starts crippling the reputation of the original media.
Exactly. Bad move on their part.

Even if you know an original story, it won't necessarily turn out exactly like the original. Movies have often gone different directions from the original content, or delivered it in different ways. Some, like Michael Crichton's "Lost World", have been entirely different. Promoting a story-based film to be an action film is just a bad idea even if you do know the original content, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
And folks, don't judge it too harshly I think.
I personally am not "judging" this movie, I'm simply telling what I honestly thought of it in my opinion. And I like almost every genre of movie. I'm not trying to be a critic, but when I dislike things in a movie, I'm not afraid to say it. Regardless of whatever versions there are to come, I am saying my thoughts on this version, and if I'm harsh, then so be it, but that's the topic of discussion... not the director's cut, ultimate cut, or whatever other cut.

Last edited by Zybanthia; 03-8-2009 at 11:04 PM..
Old 03-8-2009, 11:05 PM   #13
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

The ads were done the same way ALL ads are. They give you the funniest or most exciting or most ____ that the movie has to offer to tease you into being interested.

They make these movies to make money, so they're gonna do whatever they can to sell tickets.

Quote:
I personally am not "judging" this movie
Actually you are, and that's fine. You have that right. I was just trying to point out that this instance of the film you saw isn't even the true director's intent. Yes, judge it, but don't judge it too harshly yet.
Old 03-8-2009, 11:06 PM   #14
Flandre Scarlet
Death
FFR Veteran

@Afro: My teacher censored all blood and nudity etc with black bars, removing whole panels, and just plain recoloring panels black and white. Dumb to not notify parents, but it was a short notice plan to incorporate fiction in a class focusing on non-fiction.
Old 03-8-2009, 11:09 PM   #15
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
funniest or most exciting
This is my point: how many of the trailers of Watchmen advertised a single funny line? I can't think of one.

Now how many trailers of any comedy movie are going to show the action scenes? Unless the action scenes are meant to further the comedic value... probably none.

Advertise the movie based on its genre. Advertising a movie to be an action movie when it's not is bad advertising for your own movie. I'm not the only one that's said there was little action in it as if this were a bad thing; my friends I saw it with and Syhto here said the same things independent of my comments. That's because we were all expecting an action movie. Now if the trailers had shown all the workings between Ozymandias, and the scenes with Rorschach trying to get information, etc etc, we probably wouldn't have expected an action movie.

Yeah, of course the trailers are going to show the best parts, but they're going to do it relevant to the movie's genre. At least, in most cases.
Old 03-8-2009, 11:10 PM   #16
makdaddy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to makdaddy

Quote:
And folks, don't judge it too harshly I think. There's still a director's cut on the way and an "ultimate" cut that will be the director's cut with the animated Black Freighter footage interspliced where applicable. They say the director's cut might even get a theatrical release if the initial theatrical run goes well enough.
**** yeah man, can't wait for 3 more hours of this movie!!!
makdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 11:11 PM   #17
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

Saw it yesterday. Thought it was good, but not great.

I liked the beginning infinitely more than the end. At the start, they established this really unique feel to the world... it was a superhero movie, but it didn't feel anything like one. Then, towards the end, surprise surprise, WE'VE GOT TO REUNITE AND SAVE THE WORLD AND EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE CHEESEY. The last hour really made it a lot worse than it could have been.

Also, this drove me bonkers. I absolutely hate continuity errors in films. They're so ****ing amateur and they should be picked out long long LONG before the movie is released, ideally before they even start shooting.

spoiler alert lol

You know the scene in the Antarctic base? (yeah the whole thing was done badly but the following especially made no sense) You know the part where Ozy runs off to lure Dr. Manhattan into the obvious trap? Okay, so he "kills" him. Then, all of a sudden, cut back to the main chamber, where Ozy has magically teleported. Then, after what seems to be everybody standing around for a bit, the Owl and Silk suddenly have a problem with him again, and furthermore, Silk pulls a gun.

What.

a) Why wouldn't the two others go help? Why would they sit around in the main chamber with their thumbs up their asses?

b) Wouldn't they think something's wrong, you know, when Oz comes back up the goddamn stairs? Without Dr. Manhattan? How the hell did he get in the room without anyone raising an objection? I don't know about you but if my friend went to go kill some dude, and the dude he was trying to kill came back, I'd probably get mad immediately, not let him come in and get comfy first.

c) A gun? Why the hell didn't she shoot him in the leg when she first entered the room and he was standing still without looking at them? Fucking duh.

EDIT:
Quote:
OMG SEX AND VIOLENCE THAT IS INAPPROPRIATE
Oh whine. They were entirely appropriate. It was never for shock factor, it was always directly relevant to what was going on. Stop being such pussies.

Quote:
OMG IT WAS THREE HOURS LONG

THAT IS SO LONG
Length doesn't matter. Pacing does. An hour and a half is too long of a movie if you're going to make a movie about someone baking a batch of cookies and three hours is not too long if there is three hours worth of content there. I was never bored at a single point during the movie and unless you have ADD or something I can't picture anyone actually being bored at any point. The problems with the movie definitely weren't pacing.

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what

Last edited by Tokzic; 03-8-2009 at 11:18 PM..
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 11:13 PM   #18
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I guess I like bad movies then.

I really, really enjoyed it. The action scenes were great (my favorite is the one that occurs in the opening scene), and the music choices were actually quite appropriate (note how the songs chosen fit with the time period AND mood, which I felt was pretty well-done).

Before anyone nitpicks at the issue of movies living up to the source: If you have read the graphic novel, I think you'd be crazy to think that Snyder didn't make a faithful rendition. Like, 70% of the script is from the damn thing, word-for-word. The deviations that WERE made were good calls (come on, if the ending involved alien squids, the general audience would be pulling a major WTF. It'd require a lot more building up, and it would just not fit. The movie ending is much better and makes more sense, in my opinion). Making Manhattan the scapegoat, given the circumstances of the US and the Soviets and the events of the film, was more "realistic." By the way, this paragraph contains spoilers.

The gore/violence was definitely up there on the Holy Fuc-O-Meter (mmm, juicy ceiling ornaments, anyone?), but I wasn't focused on that so much. I really enjoyed the character progressions... there were some very cool speeches and some interesting questions that were brought up. All in all, I had a fun time watching the movie, and didn't leave disappointed at all. This is probably one of the better examples of "keeping to the source" while still providing lots of interesting visuals, interpretations, humor, blue penis, etc.

The only thing that I would have changed was the action frequency and the pacing of the film in general. There was just not enough action when compared against... well... the non-action portions. I really wanted to see some more heavy, high-speed, intricate, visual combat that we were shown in the opening scene. As for the pacing, I felt that it was all over the place, and it was often difficult to get a feel for its flow. Speaking of that, brb bathroom.

Real quick though, I give it an 8/10

Last edited by MrRubix; 03-8-2009 at 11:17 PM..
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 11:13 PM   #19
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokzic View Post
c) A gun? Why the hell didn't she shoot him in the leg when she first entered the room and he was standing still without looking at them? Fucking duh.
Also, why wouldn't you shoot multiple shots, but that's a common movie stupidity in characters. The fact that she just kinda fires a bullet, he rolls down the stairs and "OH MAN WE'RE GOOD NOW" pisses me off, but I've seen so many movies do this particular thing that I'm almost numb to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokzic View Post
Oh whine. They were entirely appropriate. It was never for shock factor, it was always directly relevant to what was going on. Stop being such pussies.
No, actually, it wasn't always, and as I've said myself I have no problem with violence if it isn't stupid. When Rorschach puts an ax in the guy's head repeatedly? Meaningful. I personally loved it and wished he hadn't killed the guy so soon. When a guy randomly gets his arms chainsawed off? Not meaningful. It didn't further anyone's character, past, storyline, anything, it was just HERE'S SOME BLOOD BECAUSE THIS WAS A GRAPHIC NOVEL AND THAT'S WHAT WE'RE RECREATING

Last edited by Zybanthia; 03-8-2009 at 11:27 PM..
Old 03-8-2009, 11:24 PM   #20
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

I liked the music, I just felt it didn't fit the scenes. They detracted from them rather than enhancing them.

p.s. I think it's kind of obvious what I mean by lengthy. And by superhero movie, I kind of mean, uh, you know, like comic superheroes. Which is what it is. Don't be stupid. Each of them will stand on their own in a way, of course, but I could have been warned somehow.

If I had been prepared for what I was going to see, I probably would have liked it. That's the honest truth. But I went to the theatre expecting a normal DC comic type movie, and it wasn't. So sorry if I seem a bit harsh, but yeah, I JUST watched it, and I was pissed when I left the theatre.

I thought the story was good, but there was bad directing and bad calls on a lot of the little things. Plus, now that you mention it, yeah. The violence was really random and out of place.

My favorite part out of the entire thing was probably the comedian's funeral. Or when it ended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote