Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-9-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
gggeoff
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to gggeoff Send a message via Yahoo to gggeoff
Default Question for the Experts

For those of you who play the D10 songs and up and actually get good scores, what is the best way to spread the arrows to where you can actually read them? i play on speed 1.4 and it still is horribly cramped when i try to move on to harder songs. i would like to get better at these harder songs, but i feel like im stuck at a dead end.
gggeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
NixXSkate
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to NixXSkate
Default Re: Question for the Experts

i play at 1.6 or 1.7x speed, i wouldn't consider myself an expert though. the experts i see on ffr tend to play at 1.8, maybe higher
NixXSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I use 1.9x with the setup "z,x, numpad 8, numpad6" for respectively left, down, up, right. I also play downscroll.

Just pick a comfortable speed mod, key settings and arrow settings for yourself. Eventually you'll get better!

Hopes this helps!
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Well, the higher the speedmod that you can actually read, the more room you have for your skill to improve. As you get better, you will come to a time where your speedmod will not allow for you to get any better, this is when you up it by like .2 and try to get used to it.

I just recently bumped my speedmod from 2x to 2.2x. If you feel like you are at a hault with 1.4, mybe try 1.6 and see if the boost is actually what you needed. You should be able to play just as good if not better than your old speedmod within 5 or so games if you are ready for an increase of that margin.
Old 01-9-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

I use the left and down arrow keys, and the eight and six on the number pad for my key configuration, but I've been playing long enough to now read 2.25x, so really it is just a matter of playing on the fastest speed mod you can read and keep up with. If I play anything slower it is just too jumbled, and anything faster I can't really keep up with. So it's a matter of finding that perfect speed. Nobody can really tell you what will help you most, seeing as it varies for everyone. I play C800 on stepmania, yet there are people such as alexdest that play C1000 on SM. So on FFR, you just have to keep messing with it. Best bet is this probably:

Set your speed mod to something too fast, and lower it bit by bit until there is something you can read. If it is too jumbled, step it up by .05x, and try that. When you get comfortable reading that, try bumping it up another .05x, and so on and so forth until you get to a point where it isn't too crowded and where you can read it comfortably. Moving up in speed takes practice on that speed.

Unless of course you have some random speed boost like me and you jump from 2.0x to 2.25x in one night. Lol.
Old 01-9-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
gggeoff
FFR Player

i have been playing DWI/SM/FFR since like 2001-2002 time frame. ive never been able to get into heavy songs...not even gaussian blur. when the KBMP and CKBMP came out, i couldnt even play half of the songs. ive always played on C400 and i think thats what messed me up. i bumped it up to 1.7 and i can see things alot better now so maybe thatll help.

thanks for the insight
Old 01-9-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Honestly anything 2x or above is to fast for me -_- I play 1.875 or 1.75
Old 01-9-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

i use 1.65x and there are a probably still a couple(literally 1 or 2) who still use 1.0 w screen cut. i know theres one pro who plays 1.5

so all in all its about personal preference
Old 01-9-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggeoff View Post
For those of you who play the D10 songs and up and actually get good scores, what is the best way to spread the arrows to where you can actually read them? i play on speed 1.4 and it still is horribly cramped when i try to move on to harder songs. i would like to get better at these harder songs, but i feel like im stuck at a dead end.
Slowly work your way up...

Go "upgrade" to 1.5 and learn to read it, then go up in intervals of 0.1 until they are comfortable to read and it's not to rapid.

I play on x1.8 and I'm pretty decent at this game.
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

gggeoff
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
gggeoff
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
gggeoff

yes?
Old 01-9-2011, 08:17 PM   #12
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
gggeoff
Those are some strong words of advice.
Plan_Bsk81127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
ffraxis
FFR Player

another question for the experts

do you use laptops or desktop PCs.

if you use a desktop, what keyboard do you use, and what advantages does a keyboard have over a laptop?
ffraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2011, 07:45 PM   #14
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffraxis View Post

if you use a desktop, what keyboard do you use, and what advantages does a keyboard have over a laptop?
Again, all preference. I play on a desktop and I use a standard Dell keyboard that came with my dad's XP comp that he got a few years ago. I can't play with flat keys like a laptop has, but I know many people prefer those. It really just depends on what you are comfortable using.
Old 01-9-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffraxis View Post

I suppose it all depends on who you are, but I personally use a desktop PC, while also having a Dell ps2 keyboard. I find that most desktops are a lot easier to play on and tend to have less lag for me in comparison (although I haven't used any top of the line laptops so I suppose this doesn't matter much). Although with all laptop keyboards I have dealt with, as well as most USB keyboards, a lot of my crazy key presses will get dropped...which sucks. The dell ps2 I have seems not to drop a single key no matter how fast I hit patterns, or just flat out mash things.

As well, having a keyboard that is not directly attached to the computer itself gives you the ability to freely move it around wherever you want it for more a more comfortable position while you play. This can make it a lot easier to get in a better position, and not feel cramped and whatever else. In fact, a lot of people who play FFR on a laptop use an external keyboard so they can do this, or just because the laptop keyboard itself isn't a very good one to play on.
Old 01-9-2011, 07:51 PM   #16
zadkiel91
IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR!
FFR Veteran

I don't consider myself an expert (cause I'm not), but I would recommend 1.7x-1.8x. Not too fast, not too slow.
zadkiel91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2011, 07:57 PM   #17
pmonibuv1
yes
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to pmonibuv1 Send a message via Skype™ to pmonibuv1

why do you guys play with suck high sppedmods? lol i play 1.5 and right now im mid-high D4... not really expert. more of intermediate.
FMO AAA's (55): Rottel-Da-Station, Church Bells, Arrogant Cobbler, Grocery Escape Plan, Disconnected Hardkore, Minute Waltz v2, Battle Theme #37, Flight of the Bumblebee, Midnight Dragon, Jeanie and Caroline, Blue-Violet, Puzzle, Kyrie, 300, Largiloquent Dithyramb, Brandish Headless, Going On Spring Wind, Novo Mundo, Gacha Gacha Hertz Figu atto Radio, Starwolf, Melonman's OP, Summer Time Perfume, Perfect Cherry Storm, Hajnal, Epidermis, Strangeprogram, Thrash, Lawn Wake I (LW EP Edit), Choprite, AIM Anthem, Dance and Zeal, Kanon Medley ~Metal Wings~, Clockwork, JULIA, Heavenly Spores, Distorted God, Radio Heads, Epilogue, Spoils, Ripoff, Since 1983, A FLOWER GARDEN, The earth blew up, Phalanx, Chronograph, Black Key Etude, Trinity, super mario bros theme (original NES is awesome), Jack-The-Ripper, Poppin' Shower, cheerful forest, Trisection v2, Devilz Staircase, Colibri, Club

FGO AAA's (2): Time To Eye, The Bird's Concrete Nosedive

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pmonibuv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #18
Elite Ninja
Kawaii Desu
Difficulty Consulting Cat
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmonibuv1 View Post
why do you guys play with suck high sppedmods? lol i play 1.5 and right now im mid-high D4... not really expert. more of intermediate.
Same

But I need to up it a notch soon so that I might actually get my first FMO AAA since I seem to get close all the time. I might change it to 1.75 over the summer and practice it.

I play left arrow key, down arrow key, 5/2, 6/3. And I have my keyboard tilted like this \

Last edited by Elite Ninja; 01-10-2011 at 08:35 PM..
Elite Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

desktop: 1.8x KL86
laptop: 1.75x ASKL

I AAA VCs with both.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2011, 08:04 PM   #20
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

It really is all a matter of preference. I got better as I bumped my speedmod up (currently playing at 2.25x) But then you have AJ (TC_Halogen) up there at ave rank one and he plays on like 1.75x or 1.875x he changes here and there. My best advice is to just try different ones play on them a little bit and see how they feel to you and if you're improving with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote