Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127
Default Skateboarding Shoes

I was just curious, and I want others opinion, Do you think it would be a good idea for skateshops to start selling only one shoe, due to the fact most skaters only tear up one. This question just randomly came upon me. lol.
Plan_Bsk81127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Afrombean
FFR Player

Default Re: Skateboarding Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan_Bsk81127 View Post
I was just curious, and I want others opinion, Do you think it would be a good idea for skateshops to start selling only one shoe, due to the fact most skaters only tear up one. This question just randomly came upon me. lol.
Good skaters tear up both shoes 8)

It's not an issue, really, I'd say. By the time one of my shoes would be torn up beyond repair, the other side wouldn't exactly be pristine either.

That, and have you ever tried wearing a heavily broken-in shoe on one foot and a brand new one on the other? Even shoes of the same type are terrible. Particularly for skaters, since the act of pushing on a skateboard causes one shoe to be worn in one way, and the other to be worn in another way. For instance, the ball of my left foot would always wear through quickly because of all the pivoting I did while pushing, and my right foot would always wear more at the heel and edges from kicking. It's pretty funny actually, because my left foot would be practically worn through the sole at the ball, while the right shoe would have heavily worn edges and a large area missing from the heel. Try using shoes with an outsole with two colors in layers; you might be surprised by how differently your shoes will wear on both sides. Heck, even normal walking can affect each foot's shoe differently if you don't carry yourself perfectly.

But really, when one shoe is torn up, the other should be in rather sorry shape and just about ready for replacement as well. If not, you should step things up a bit and fool around switch more, or come up with some way of not cutting up the toe of your dominant foot's shoe. I, for one, came up with a plan using hot glue that has saved me from cutting through almost every pair of shoes I've ever skated in, although I must admit that it did look silly... then again, it wasn't any sillier looking than my super glued, knotted, and cut off laces.
Afrombean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
FishFishRevolution
GotR Creator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Yahoo to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Skype™ to FishFishRevolution

Yeah just start riding fakie and you're set.

(wait i don't remember fakie is the one where you stand the opposite way right? it's been a long time since i played thps)
Old 06-2-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFishRevolution View Post
Yeah just start riding fakie and you're set.

(wait i don't remember fakie is the one where you stand the opposite way right? it's been a long time since i played thps)
Fakie would be a switch-footed landing. If you were just skating like that, it'd be skating switch, like I said. Fakie can also refer to switch riding on the nose (which would be the same foot position as "normal" riding forward "normally"), particularly in reference to the fakie ollie, which is rolling switch on the nose and popping an ollie off the nose in switch, which ironically, is the same stance as normal. I feel like I just talked around a big circle.

I gotta admit, though, if you push mongo in switch like I do, the bottoms of your shoes will still wear exactly the same. Most of the switch rotation idea would be that the toes would wear evenly, but even then, who cares? Just get new shoes when your leading foot's toe gets torn up, and even then, I'd only say it's truly needed if your sock starts poking through.