Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000
Default Help with Jacks

So i'm having trouble with jacks that are near/at the limit of my speed. What happens is i'll hit the first few, and then it's like my finger locks up, and stops moving. happens more w/ my left hand (cuz it's slower)
this happens in songs like Counter Strike, Holy Orders, etc...
any tips for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Help with Jacks

You could be like me and cry about it :c

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
I like it
Housekeeper

try practicing really hard files on sm, or just kinda hard (or ez stuff) on crazy rates, this helped me get better at pretty much everything, just play stuff that is just a little bit too hard for you, and it will eventually become easy
I like it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

You can tense up your hand so that you can jack for long periods of time, but I'd just recommend practicing by playing jacky files instead to improve consistency.

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 10-26-2012 at 07:37 AM..
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
LongGone
-
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

If you are jacking with your index finger, you can clench your thumb together with your index for support/stability. Same goes with your middle finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
people age at a rate of about 1 year per year
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

If the jack is not very long and you are just going for FC, you can start it early and end it late, then you don't have to hit as fast.

But you should of course practice ways to jack faster so you don't have to resort to this 'hack'
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
bballa48
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsicle_3000 View Post
So i'm having trouble with jacks that are near/at the limit of my speed. What happens is i'll hit the first few, and then it's like my finger locks up, and stops moving. happens more w/ my left hand (cuz it's slower)
this happens in songs like Counter Strike, Holy Orders, etc...
any tips for me?
This sounds incredibly familiar to me.

The good news is that you can certainly improve. The minimum speed of the jack that causes this "lock up" sensation will gradually shift faster the more you play.

The bad news is that the deficit between your left and right will probably never go away. I get equally frustrated when I can rip through the jacks in Grist with my right hand, but I get 10 or so misses with my left. I know, it sucks. Just do your best to improve your left hand and try not to get frustrated-- you aren't the only one.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballa48 View Post
I get equally frustrated when I can rip through the jacks in Grist with my right hand, but I get 10 or so misses with my left.
Have you tried leonid setup (qwer or similar setup where all four keys are together and accept quads on your keyboard, when you need your right hand to hit something on the left hand you just bring it over)?
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
bballa48
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
Have you tried leonid setup (qwer or similar setup where all four keys are together and accept quads on your keyboard, when you need your right hand to hit something on the left hand you just bring it over)?
Not on that particular song, but I should.

I did use that set up to AAA Overdrive, Largiloquent Dithyramb, and I am working on Club using it.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballa48 View Post

The good news is that you can certainly improve. The minimum speed of the jack that causes this "lock up" sensation will gradually shift faster the more you play.
that's good

i did use zxcv setup to try to AAA fei longer, as my right hand can usually perform those jacks. but i dont want to get dependent on doing that :S

Quote:
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but it's all about the wrists. Keep your wrists -loose-, and try to maintain a balance between energy conservation and control. As mentioned earlier, tensing up will increase jacking control, but don't forget that relaxing you wrists will conserve energy. From what it sounds like, you need more of the latter. The fact that you can't hit jacks past a few consecutive groups means you're probably using up energy way more than you need to.

For long jacks such as Grist, control is more important, so be a bit more tense. Push your thumb against your index finger for support if that helps.
For shorter jacks that are still relentless, such as Holy Orders, I'd say that energy conservation is more important. It's just like how my piano teacher would tell me to loosen my wrists and fingers when playing scales fast.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
Untimely Friction
D6 Challeneged
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Basically what Bmah said, Grist = win practise. I played that file till I could AAA past all the jacks, now jacks are a joke.
Untimely Friction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
IIRC, Dossar used something similar (on a suggestion from qqwref) to AAA Revolutionary Etude. If nothing else, it's worth a try.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #14
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

tuckthumb in curl fingers a bit makiong sort of a pinching motion angle your hand toward the finger you're going to be jacking with
Wayward Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
i love you
Live a wonderful life~
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but it's all about the wrists. Keep your wrists -loose-, and try to maintain a balance between energy conservation and control. As mentioned earlier, tensing up will increase jacking control, but don't forget that relaxing you wrists will conserve energy. From what it sounds like, you need more of the latter. The fact that you can't hit jacks past a few consecutive groups means you're probably using up energy way more than you need to.

For long jacks such as Grist, control is more important, so be a bit more tense. Push your thumb against your index finger for support if that helps.
For shorter jacks that are still relentless, such as Holy Orders, I'd say that energy conservation is more important. It's just like how my piano teacher would tell me to loosen my wrists and fingers when playing scales fast.
I think this is your best bet popsicle_3000 however I know how you feel about that "reaching your limit" thing.

I remember back when I was practicing jacks when I was thinking that I will never be able to jack any faster then 140 BPM. It was like that for me for about 2-3 years but then I realized that in order for you to jack any faster then you physical limit is to figure out a way to break that limit. Reaching your limit is one thing but breaking it is a whole new ball game.

I would highly not recommend this but if you want to "break your limit", it will require you to "hurt your wrists" little by little by pushing it harder then the body allows. Do not do this everyday but rather every other day. Resting in this case is SO important because it gives you more time for your muscles to recover.

Most people would think that you have to "play everything is order to get better". Total bullshit. In fact, just playing 2-3 times a week while doing fast insane wrist training for an hour is much more effective then just "playing everyday" and realizing that there were some days where you play like shit and rare days where you play good.

I bet if you did it this way, you will be getting more skill boosts however like I said before, I do NOT recommend this because overtime, this could totally screw you your wrists. Keep in mind that EVERYONE can reach their limit and EVERYONE can break it however NOT EVERYONE can break it as far as others.

If your wrists are strong and healthy, I would say go for it however if your wrists has problems or gets fucced up easily, DON'T DO IT. It's not worth it.

I rarely make long posts but I had a lot to say about this. These are just my thoughts and recommendations. You do not have to agree with me or reply back to this post.
i love you is offline   Reply With Quote