Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Art and Graphics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Psychotik
Heckin' Cute
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default My 3D Stuff

Yeah so I started an intense video games program in college back in early September, basically learning everything on how to make games. Started using 3DS max and stuff. I'll post what I make in this thread. I remind you that I'm taking a video game course, so pretty much everything I do will be in low poly.

After two months of school, this is what I can do.

Some of the stuff were textured in a half-ass way, but yeah. Still learning.
I want me a grrrl that will call me at 4 in the morning and ask me what my best is on Ants.
Psychotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Mythix
Default Re: My 3D Stuff

Hey mate, it's looking good; abit copypaste materials I think..

But yeah you need ambient occlusion, if you don't know how to make it just yell and I'll write it, or just google it

mental ray renderer
material editor
mental ray base material
shadow/surface = ambient occlusion material
128 pass, distance 20, rest can stand

Go to processing under render settings, and "material override" and simply drag your material in there (disable any glow/lume settings first) and render at high FG and high antialising and you should get a clay render in black/white.

Then comp with multiply in photoshop, it will do WONDERS for your scene, right now everything is floating but other than that I like your scene.

In my class there was a guy who made a post apocalyptic gas station, Falloutstyle, he had some worn out tires, a barrel, fog on the ground and modelled background mountains (really basic just triangles with noise + TS really) and depth of field.

You have a good vantage point, your shadows are smooth and nice, texture comping is good, ground abit blurry but fits.

Except for no ambient your only real problem is the background.. Unless night setting, black background does NOT do justice to any good scene/model unless intended. Better than my first scene.. But I didn't know about AO before a half year ;]
Old 10-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

You've got quite a ways to go sir. However, after 2 months I'd say you're right on track with where you should be.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Psychotik
Heckin' Cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythix View Post
mental ray base material
The thing is is that I can't use mental ray stuff because they won't work in the game engine. I make stuff so that they'd work in video games. And yeah, I would've worked a little more on my textures but I was running out of time, so I rushed a little. And yeah, no background for that same reason.
I want me a grrrl that will call me at 4 in the morning and ask me what my best is on Ants.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

I've never seen a gas pump made of stone.

Also, just because something is lowpoly, and designed for a game, doesn't mean it can't look good. It would be worth trying out Mythix's occlusion pass (although that method is too lengthy for my taste)

I dislike game design courses in general. Today's hardware can process some pretty god damn dense meshes, so polycount is beginning to matter less and less, because "good" games are requiring more and more detail, while game design instructors simply preach LOWPOLY LOW POLY LOWWWWWW POLYYYYYY, YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS SPACESHIP OUT OF THREE TRIANGLES, NO MORE.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Yeah engines can push a million, just the character alone in god of war was like 170k~, we have game class at my school too and it's tiresome to hear the teacher always say it's "too many polygons", instead of teaching the students how to reach their realistic game boundaries/specific targets.. But my school is crap, pardon my french.

and oh it's for a game, but you can still have AO even if it's a game though- hell, 3DS max 2011 even support AO in viewport, and all sort of lighting things, but should probably be baked into the materials/textures
Old 10-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
LOWPOLY LOW POLY LOWWWWWW POLYYYYYY, YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS SPACESHIP OUT OF THREE TRIANGLES, NO MORE.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

After only 2 months I wouldn't think that he would have learned texture baking yet, but for games, it's a necessity.

That tie fighter looks like around 3k-5k poly. Is that yours?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
Psychotik
Heckin' Cute

Yeah I don't know what texture baking is. Today I had my texture class and we basically try to improve our renders in photoshop as best we can. This is what I got.

Before you say anything, yes, I know it's not perfect and I know what's wrong, so you don't have to say it.

As for the pump made out of stone thing, it's a metal texture, but I guess it kinda does look like stone. And yeah, one of my teachers was exactly LOW POLY LOW POLY, but I know I should add a little more. My game engine teacher says the engine can handle 1 million triangles per screen. I have projects coming up so I'll post what I do later when they're done.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:37 AM   #10
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
After only 2 months I wouldn't think that he would have learned texture baking yet, but for games, it's a necessity.

That tie fighter looks like around 3k-5k poly. Is that yours?
Na not mine, just googled it and it's labelled "normal map frenzy" so I guess it's really lowpoly with normal map on it..
I have a spacefighter for a speed modelling class though, but like a year ago xD
Old 10-29-2010, 05:43 AM   #11
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik View Post
Yeah I don't know what texture baking is. Today I had my texture class and we basically try to improve our renders in photoshop as best we can. This is what I got.

Before you say anything, yes, I know it's not perfect and I know what's wrong, so you don't have to say it.

As for the pump made out of stone thing, it's a metal texture, but I guess it kinda does look like stone. And yeah, one of my teachers was exactly LOW POLY LOW POLY, but I know I should add a little more. My game engine teacher says the engine can handle 1 million triangles per screen. I have projects coming up so I'll post what I do later when they're done.
It's alot better now, and I will tell you what I find wrong with it regardless of you wanting me to or not :]

Have you tried rendering it with daylight system? Obviously you can't use daylight system for gamescenes but it looks sweet anyways lol =p

But yeah it looks alot better, not completely sure what you have done to it besides adding a background (which makes your gas station fly but better nevertheless)

Lighting is too excessive in the front, too shaded on the back.. Wouldn't really be a problem unless you had a outdoor background.. This is getting along nicely though will be nice to see where you end..

And exactly what is your req for this assignment? What boarders etc do you need
Old 10-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #12
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Biggest issue is the poor lighting, you have only one source of light, minimum should be 3 sources of light.

This is a pretty good page to learn about how 3 point lighting should work.
http://www.secondpicture.com/tutoria...ds_max_01.html
Old 10-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #13
Psychotik
Heckin' Cute

There actually is three point lighting in that scene. I just did a bad job with it.
Old 11-8-2010, 10:51 PM   #14
Psychotik
Heckin' Cute

I was in a rush to finish. The banner isn't proportional, some stuff stand out to much, just not very good, but I was running out of time. Ugh, deadlines. Really simple render, will do more later.
Old 11-8-2010, 11:06 PM   #15
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Seems like making a DDR/ITG machine is always one of the first things people make when they learn 3d haha. It was one of my earlier things too. I should make one now that I'm decent.

What the heck is up with the bar shadows?

Last edited by darkshark; 11-9-2010 at 01:15 AM..
Old 11-8-2010, 11:23 PM   #16
Psychotik
Heckin' Cute

I dunno.
Old 11-9-2010, 01:18 AM   #17
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Just for ****s and giggles, go to the "Lights" panel and add a skylight, then press F10 to bring up the render dialogue, go to the advanced lighting tab, and set it as "Light Tracer"
It will take a bit more to render, but I want you to see the difference it makes.
Old 11-9-2010, 12:02 PM   #18
Psychotik
Heckin' Cute

Quote:
Just for ****s and giggles, go to the "Lights" panel and add a skylight, then press F10 to bring up the render dialogue, go to the advanced lighting tab, and set it as "Light Tracer"
It will take a bit more to render, but I want you to see the difference it makes.
Tried it, it looked terrible. Worked on it in PS a little, fixed the lighting a little, etc.
Old 11-9-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Good job! That's looking a ton better.

Probably should have mentioned you needed to turn off all the other lights in your scene except for that skylight. Oh well.

You should probably get in the habit of lighting your scenes how they'd be lit in real life, ie. lights on the ceiling in common patterns.

I highly suggest working with the VRay rendering engine as well, I know you're doing all this to learn game design, but there's nothing wrong with learning the other side of modeling!
Old 11-9-2010, 01:50 PM   #20
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Just messing around for a few minutes.

You'd be surprised how a good lighting setup can affect everything about a scene.