Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default New mechanical switch

So logitech has a brand new mechanical keyboard with a new switch that was recently produced. It claims to have a 25% shorter actuation distance. Back when I first got a mechanical keyboard for stepmania I didn't like how far you had to push the keys down.

If anyone has one of these I'd love to hear their experiences with it for both general gaming and stepmania / music games.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/pro...-keyboard-g910

Last edited by Izzy; 06-12-2015 at 02:05 PM..
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
Wafles
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Wafles
Default Re: New mechanical switch

These have been around for a few months now. I bought one right away because I was curious and had money to piss away.

The typing experience is pretty bad but not as bad as dome keyboards. The problem is honestly the frankly rediculous palm rest design and the absolutely abysmal keycap design. It takes some getting used to and even months later I'm still a little slower on this thing compared to standard keycaps with cherry mx brown/blue switches.

For stepmania this switch is amazing. And good timing on your part you can get a little insight into what all went into the design and manufacturing of this switch from Omron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fNiJKh6q-E

The things to take away:
- Incredibly light actuation and has a tactile bump. These are also significantly quieter than Cherry MX Reds or Browns (and Blues by a mile).
- The actuation point is EXTREMELY high. You hardly have to touch the keys to actuate them. This might be a negative.
- The keycap design does not affect stepmania play but took a little getting used to, as would be expected.
- The keys have a redundant actuation built in. If one fails, the switch will continue to work meaning that this is arguably the most durable keyswitch on the market. I haven't had a switch break yet, no chattering, no nothing.
- The RGB backlighting is controlled within the keyboard itself and results in no performance difference in SM, so go crazy with the RGB stuff. The RGB wave patterns and moving colors aren't as smooth as some other boards out there but its okay.
- Its pretty fucking expensive considering that it doesn't even have a spare USB port.
- The ARX Dock is pretty much useless IMO. The app was pretty iffy in my experience and I never liked putting my phone there.

For other games:
- Keycaps hold this thing back IMO. I got used to it after a while but I don't play many games aside from stepmania.

That's about all I can think to say about them. Its been a fun experiment owning one of these but I'm not 100% sold on it unless you feel like spending a lot of money for a keyboard with a lackluster typing experience.

Last edited by Wafles; 06-12-2015 at 02:18 PM..
Wafles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I had actually just watched that factory tour video which is what sparked my interest. I'm pretty sure the high actuation is what I would want for stepmania. The only problem is I would rather get a cheaper dumbed down keyboard with the same switch and all the features removed.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
Wafles
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Wafles

Thing is, it doesn't even really have that many features aside from the RGB lighting and macro keys (and actually the macro keys are quite useful, I bind macro keys for work all the time to help speed things up). IMO they just tried a little too hard with the design of this keyboard, it'd be nearly perfect if it had normal keycaps and a reasonable (or at the very least, removable) palm rest.
Wafles is offline   Reply With Quote