Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
sanzath
retired from rhythm games
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Nomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Suber, inventor of Nomic
Nomic is a game in which changing the rules is a move. In that respect it differs from almost every other game. The primary activity of Nomic is proposing changes in the rules, debating the wisdom of changing them in that way, voting on the changes, deciding what can and cannot be done afterwards, and doing it. Even this core of the game, of course, can be changed.
In Nomic, players start out with an initial set of 29 Rules (more or less depending on variants). These Rules define how players can add new Rules and modify or remove existing Rules.

The initial rules define 2 ways in which players may win the game, either through points:

Quote:
One turn consists of two parts, in this order:
1. proposing one rule change and having it voted on
2. throwing one die once and adding the number of points on its face to one's score

The winner is the first person to achieve 100 (positive) points.
or through finding a loophole:

Quote:
If the rules are changed so that further play is impossible, or if the legality of a move is impossible to determine with finality, or if by the Judge's best reasoning, not overruled, a move appears equally legal and illegal, then the first player who is unable to complete a turn is the winner.

This rule takes precedence over every other rule determining the winner.
Of course, these Rules can also be changed by actions taken by the players - for example, a Rule can be enacted stating that the player with the highest W/L ratio at TWG automatically wins (if the players so choose). In fact, with enough time, the entire set of rules can be changed for the rules of any other game.

Given the possibly long-running nature of the game, and how so much of it is based on discussions between players, it seems to me that a forum thread is the best way to play it, like the way we already play TWG. Anyone interested in trying this out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
I wish I could vote you a 2nd time.
sanzath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar
Default Re: Nomic

Quote:
Nomic is a game in which changing the rules is a move. In that respect it differs from almost every other game.

To be fair, with dice roles we would at least need live cams to do this or somehow alter the rules to fit forum (heh) but in all honesty I rather just play Dreamers

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
sanzath
retired from rhythm games
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
imo Fluxx is a very swingy surface-level party game that loses its appeal after a few games. It's not so much that the rules change, it's more so that certain numbers change, the wincon changes and you can sometimes play extra effects during your turn, but all in all, it amounts to the same thing every time you play. As for Nomic, I can't really speak from experience but I don't think it has those same problems, since everyone has a say in how the rules change, rather than each player imposing their own changes, and changes aren't limited within a certain set of possibilities.

Quote:
be fair, with dice roles we would at least need live cams to do this or somehow alter the rules to fit forum (heh) but in all honesty I rather just play Dreamers
I might be talking out of my ass, but doesn't Dreamers kinda have the same issue as Fluxx, in that Dreams can be ultra-swingy and each player gets to throw something into the mix, rather than changes being a group decision?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
I wish I could vote you a 2nd time.

Last edited by sanzath; 12-24-2017 at 03:10 PM..
sanzath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanzath View Post
I might be talking out of my ass, but doesn't Dreamers kinda have the same issue as Fluxx, in that Dreams can be ultra-swingy and each player gets to throw something into the mix, rather than changes being a group decision?
I mean, you're not wrong.

But Fluxx is awesome so you know I'm down with that sickness

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote